Not signed in (Sign In)
    •  
      CommentAuthormarkphilips
    • CommentTimeNov 24th 2011 edited

Forum members have discussed bicycle-centric developments in the greater Los Angeles area in previous threads. A dedicated thread would make it easier to find information.

Please posts comments PERTAINING to the greater Los Angeles alternative transportation, bicycle, pedestrian centric developments. There are dedicated comments for San Diego in the Infrastructure and Bike Advocacy threads. Thank you.

Mayor Villaraigosa enjoys bike riding at CicLAvia's car-free streets in downtown LA.
    He became a strong bicycle advocate after he had an accident with a taxi cab while riding his bike in Santa Monica.
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult
    • CommentTimeNov 24th 2011

Its amazing the change in that city since I moved away 11 years ago. Its always been a huge mecca for road and MTB racer types but never urban commuting when i was there. Huge transformation.
    • CommentAuthorHMeins
    • CommentTimeNov 24th 2011

It is embarrassing that LA is getting the jump on us in the accommodation and promotion of cycling.

SD mayoral candidates must be vetted by local cycling advocates.
    Seeing is believing. I look forward to checking this out the next time I go to L.A.
    The latest bicycle lane in Los Angeles has an interesting twist: It's bright green.

The lane is part of the city's master plan for a 1,680-mile bicycle network and more than 200 miles of new routes every five years.

"We're looking for — at the same time we expand our transit network — how do we also expand our active transportation network to link up with that?" Lantz said. "It's about providing more options for people across the city."

•  
      CommentAuthormarkphilips
    • CommentTimeNov 25th 2011 edited

In the course of three years L.A. indeed made a quick shift. Click on Mayor Villaraigosa's name to read more.

L.A. Streetsblog 2011 Politician of the Year: Antonio Villaraigosa
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd

markphilips:In the course of three years L.A. indeed made a quick shift. Click on Mayor Villaraigosa's name to read more.
    As recent developments in L.A. and S.F. can attest to, change - or lack of such - always happens, and has to happen, from the top.

Have you ever heard Mayor Jerry Sanders say anything - even if largely insignificant - recognizing the the potential of bicycling as a component of transportation in San Diego? I have not - Google it, if you have to.

This would apply to most of our Council Members, too, for that matter.
    • CommentAuthorHMeins
    • CommentTimeNov 25th 2011

Todd Gloria has come out in support of cycling in District 3 and is even involved in the discussion of making a ciclovia happen here. Lorie Zapf in District 6 has paid lip service to cycling, but seems unable to even bring infrastructure problems in her district up to code: mainly the stadium bike path, Murphy Canyon Rd., and Hotel Circle North. I am being stonewalled once again in response to complaints. The conversation has stopped in spite of continuing emails asking for action and a timeline.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd

Yes, Todd G is the token exception to the rule.
    • CommentAuthorStephan

Kevin Faulconer has taken to the bike as part of his ta king up triathalon training, but I have not heard him take a position on bicycle transportation.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPaul

markphilips:In the course of three years L.A. indeed made a quick shift. Click on Mayor Villaraigosa's name to read more.

L.A. Streetsblog 2011 Politician of the Year: Antonio Villaraigosa

I guess after getting caught in an affair with a newscaster, being photographed with a drug injector wasn't such a big deal for AV. Seems like a good guy despite his personal crap, though.
    •  
      CommentAuthormarkphilips

Los Angeles City Council members Jose Huizar, in blue shirt, and Jan Perry, in black jacket, leading yesterday's opening ride on Downtown L.A.'s new buffered green bike lane on Spring Street...
    read more and check out the Think Bike workshop in L.A.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHans
    • CommentTimeNov 26th 2011

I've always been a big advocate of bold striping on streets for bike routes, but I must admit that I'm waiting to see how long that apple green will last in the SoCal sun, as well as questioning their choice of colors. Red and green are the first colors to disappear in color blindness.:face-plain:Hoping for the best.
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult
    • CommentTimeNov 26th 2011

I'm somewhat color blind. It's not like you can't see the color, just means you see it as something else. Whether the stripe shows up to you as green or perhaps grey you still see the stripe.
    •  
      CommentAuthormarkphilips
    • CommentTimeNov 26th 2011 edited

Long beach installed the first Bicycle Sharrows with a green painted lane back in June 2009. This year I noticed that the "green lane" lost it's luster and had become darker. It's beginning to blend in with the asphalt but still visible. It raises awareness to both motorist and bicyclists of existing laws but doesn't really improve the flow of traffic that much. The road still gets very congested proportional to the number of cars on the street.

The .6 miles lane runs along both sides of 2nd Street in Belmont Shore between Livingston Drive to Bay Shore Avenue. While it may appear to some that cars cannot share that green lane, that's far from the truth. "All we're doing is expressing existing laws on the street," Charlie Gandy, Long Beach's mobility coordinator, told the LA Newspaper Group.

•  
      CommentAuthormarkphilips
    • CommentTimeNov 26th 2011 edited

In April 2011, Long beach built southern California's first protected bike lanes. It will be something to look forward to until my next visit.

Protected bike lanes are for everyone, but do have great appeal to less intrepid cyclists - who can include novices, families and many women. Note that, despite their excellent safety record around the globe, cycletracks are not included in the United States’ car-centric officially-approved standard facilities (called the MUTCD – Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices.) Long Beach sought and received Federal Highway Administration permission for an experimental facility. In this federal program, municipalities propose innovations (or at least non-U.S.-standard facilities), and the federal government approves and shields the locals from liability risks....

Long Beach’s new separated bike lanes occupy the left lane of a paired couplet of east-west one-way streets crossing downtown Long Beach. The streets are Broadway and Third Street. Both facilities extend from Golden Avenue (immediately east of the 710 Freeway) to Alamitos Avenue. Each is just over one mile long.

The cycletrack project subjected these streets to a road diet, reducing them from three car travel lanes to two. Nearly all of the on-street parking has been preserved – though a handful of parking spaces (approximately 20 out of several hundred) were lost in the reconfiguration. Conventional parking meters have been replaced by electronic parking kiosks.

Just to be fair:
    L.A.’s Bike Lanes, Not Just for Bikes!
    The city of L.A. and other cities all have the same traffic issues that affect the lives of pedestrians and bicyclists. I hope this thread will highlight incremental development toward bicycle and pedestrian friendly infrastructure.

Bike Lanes are one of the most misunderstood elements of bikeways engineering, responsible for much confusion as they lie nestled peacefully between the noisy travel lane to the left and the quiet but dangerous door zone to the right.

Some folks see that empty real estate and, in spite of the fact that they lack a bicycle, they figure “Why not? I’ll just use if for a few minutes, nobody will mind!”
    •  
      CommentAuthormarkphilips
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2011 edited

the latest project of Chicago based Bike and Park. The Santa Monica Bike Center is intended to provide secure bike parking and a variety of mobility services, including retail, bike repair, bike rental, attended bike parking, public information on alternative transportation, and additional related services.

This is pretty cool to read about, I haven't been to L.A. yet but I'm planning on making a trip just to ride around since it is one of the cities I have always wanted to roll through. With how car-centric I've heard L.A. is it's nice to see stuff like this happening. I really wish SD would get on the same path as I'm sure all of you do as well.
    •  
      CommentAuthormarkphilips
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2011 edited

You can take the Amtrak from San Diego to LA then take the Metro subway line and Metro Express bus to Santa Monica. From there you can ride your bike to almost any amenities. Perhaps bikingbill and Velo Cult can give you more info about the other class 1 bike paths in the greater L.A. area.I have only ridden on the Santa Monica, Venice beach and South Bay class 1 bike paths.

http://www.labikepaths.com/
    This is a guide to Class I paved bicycle paths around Los Angeles, and around Northern Orange County California:

‘Class I,’ paved, separate right-of-ways, mostly in parks, along rivers, beaches, and lakesides.
    • CommentAuthordstone
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2011

markphilips:You can take the Amtrak from San Diego to LA then take the Metro subway line and Metro Express bus to Santa Monica. From there you can ride your bike to almost any amenities. Perhaps bikingbill and Velo Cult can give you more info about the other class 1 bike paths in the greater L.A. area.I have only ridden on the Santa Monica, Venice beach and South Bay class 1 bike paths.

http://www.labikepaths.com/

There was decent bike infrastructure in Highland Park when AlanKHG and I visited in February. Additionally, areas around the Gold Line were friendly to safer and more complete streets.

The bike path (class 1) along the LA river is functional but only for specific destinations.
    • CommentAuthorsd_mike
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2011

Why take transit to Santa Monica from DTLA? There are many easily bikeable routes, just depends on how you want to go. I know a few good ways to the coast, toward Venice, that are on good streets, and from LAUPT as well.
    @sd_mike: Please share the routes you mentioned from DTLA to Santa MOnica. I would like to know for my next trip to LA. Thanks.
    The Dutch’s Think Bike Workshop Comes to LA with an Interesting View of Our Streets
    by Damien Newton on September 22, 2011

Hillie Talens, a Dutch Bicycle Transportation Engineer, discussed how Dutch planners are jealous of Los Angeles’ streets. The jealousy isn’t because of what we do with them, but what we could.

“As Dutch, we are envious of how much space you have,” Talens commented. “There’s a lot you can do with roads that wide.”

Interesting read: Think Bike Workshops - A Dutch Boosts to Los Angeles Bikeability.PDF
    Great info guys, should be much easier to plan out a trip with some help from this thread.
    •  
      CommentAuthormarkphilips
    • CommentTimeDec 22nd 2011 edited

Close enough to LA. So I placed this here for now. I'll move it to a proper thread when I find it. Suggestions welcome.

Cycling in Oxnard is a Drag
    Oxnight features underground racing — on bicyles

On an undisclosed, vacant Oxnard street on Saturday night, dozens will compete in a fast-paced, high-stakes underground drag race.......................... on bicycles

Pelayo got the idea for Oxnight from his childhood, when he and his friends would race each other to street corners on their bikes.

“I’ve always been infatuated with the concept of kids saying, ‘Hey, I’ll race you to the corner,’ ” he said. “I think pretty much everyone who was about 9 or 10 and had their own bike did the same thing when they were chilling with their friends.”

He decided to make the event a drag race — where participants race two at a time — to make it more suspenseful and also safer. Riders are encouraged to race with safety in mind, and so far there have been no racing injuries, Pelayo said.

“It’s probably more dangerous if you’re riding bikes on your own on the street,” he said. “We choose a location that’s well-lit and out of the way.”
    • CommentAuthorsd_mike
    • CommentTimeDec 22nd 2011

I haven't forgotten about posting some routes... just been a bit preoccupied with healing.
    • CommentAuthorWilliam.

It's a shame that some of those in posistions of influence in San Diego are dead set against bike lanes, or anything similar. The common opinion amongst them is that we want bike lanes because we want "the illusion of safety, want to be protected when we ride illegally and are ignorantly inbed with the motoring public". Words of a prominent proponent of NOT having facilities. I listen to the core of the message and get it, but they fundamentally misjudge what people want and need.
    • CommentAuthorWilliam.

markphilips:Close enough to LA. So I placed this here for now. I'll move it to a proper thread when I find it. Suggestions welcome.

On an undisclosed, vacant Oxnard street on Saturday night, dozens will compete in a fast-paced, high-stakes underground drag race.......................... on bicycles

Why DON'T we do that here? The concept, execution, ect.. seems very easy to do, legal if placed right...and fun. I am not fast by any means, but I'd throw down something interesting. Why NOT? I can think of 10 places off the top of my head we can pull this off. A few divisions to keep it fun (women division, man division, geezer division). Get Mat Lingo to shoot some photos, BikeSD to advertise it..A shop to support it. Why NOT?
    It's possible, also, possible to have a "Steepest Hill climb contest." We've done it on Fish Taco Tuesdays.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPacMUle

William.:
    markphilips:Close enough to LA. So I placed this here for now. I'll move it to a proper thread when I find it. Suggestions welcome.

Why DON'T we do that here? The concept, execution, ect.. seems very easy to do, legal if placed right...and fun. I am not fast by any means, but I'd throw down something interesting. Why NOT? I can think of 10 places off the top of my head we can pull this off. A few divisions to keep it fun (women division, man division, geezer division). Get Mat Lingo to shoot some photos, BikeSD to advertise it..A shop to support it. Why NOT?

i've been wanting to start a "race ride" ride 'em like ya stole 'em kinda thing for a while now, but wasn't sure if anyone would be into it.... i have put a lot of thought into it & think it would be a ton of fun.

how many folks here would be down for a race night, perhaps once a month? if there is enough i would be willing to get something like that rolling. lemme know people!
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult
    • CommentTimeDec 22nd 2011 edited

I did events like that many times back at the Bird Rock store. We did drag races but the most fun was the ghettodrome racing. Think velodrome but in a flat parking lot. Lots of fun and pretty dangerous. Oh, and one time I setup a single bike that everybody had to do a time trial race on. The bike was a track pursuit bike with 60x14 gearing. That was pretty funny.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPacMUle
    • CommentTimeDec 23rd 2011

Velo Cult:I did events like that many times back at the Bird Rock store. We did drag races but the most fun was the ghettodrome racing. Think velodrome but in a flat parking lot. Lots of fun and pretty dangerous. Oh, and one time I setup a single bike that everybody had to do a time trial race on. The bike was a track pursuit bike with 60x14 gearing. That was pretty funny.

lol! .. . originally i had though about doing it road race style. throw up a couple of routes each month, have a vote & a couple weeks to test ride it to get the directions and such down... then have at it! first place gets beer or food paid for by the losers at a gathering post race, or do a throw in like what they mentioned in the article. i really like the ideas about the drag races & everything too!
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeDec 23rd 2011

When I did the HPV championships in the summer of '96 (in VEGAS!) we had 1/8th mile drag races at the actual Vegas Drag Strip. It was quite amusing and my oldest son (12 at the time) placed in the Jr's on a BikeE.
    • CommentAuthorsd_mike
    • CommentTimeJan 1st 2012

Out of downtown LA:

Bound for Culver City and Venice - Use 7th St to Union Ave to 9th St until it bends south and becomes 5th Ave. At Olympic, go either west on Pico Blvd to Crenshaw Blvd or south to Venice Blvd. If Crenshaw, head south to Venice Blvd. Use Venice to go west.

Bound for Santa Monica - Same route to Venice Blvd. At Cattaraugas Ave - go RIGHT and stay to Castle Heights Ave. Head north until it merges with Beverwil Dr. Follow north to Olympic Blvd, then west to Spaulding Dr. North on Spaulding Dr to Moreno Dr (left), then north to Santa Monica Blvd. West on Santa Monica Blvd.

I've followed these routes and have been most pleased.
    Thanks sd_mike. I will try the route next time I go to Woodland Hills/ Santa Monica area
    Red Light Cameras were disabled in L.A as of Aug 1 following the City Council's July 27 vote to eliminate them at over 30 intersections.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/07/27/los-angeles-red-light-cameras_n_911577.html
    •  
      CommentAuthormarkphilips
    • CommentTimeJan 4th 2012 edited

Fascinating to see this. Even more interesting are comments that people wrote.
    •  
      CommentAuthormarkphilips
    • CommentTimeJan 4th 2012 edited

And then in 1968

be sure to watch parts 2 and 3 on YouTube. I wish more people could watch this.
    •  
      CommentAuthormarkphilips
    • CommentTimeJan 11th 2012 edited

Approaching one of the most busiest intersection on the Venice Beach MUP. Technically it is a class 1 bike path but in reality cyclists, peds, rollerbladers, scooters, skateboarders, joggers of varying ages co-exist in this very small but people friendly path. I have sat and watch this intersection several times. I am often amazed that there were no crashes nor accidents while I watched this intersection. Is it the humanly speed? I've seen closed calls as others pass slower bike traffic but somehow it all works out. If you get a chance when in LA visit Venice beach.
    IMG01841-20120102-1423.jpg

Pelayo got the idea for Oxnight from his childhood, when he and his friends would race each other to street corners on their bikes.

“I’ve always been infatuated with the concept of kids saying, ‘Hey, I’ll race you to the corner,’ ” he said. “I think pretty much everyone who was about 9 or 10 and had their own bike did the same thing when they were chilling with their friends.”

He decided to make the event a drag race — where participants race two at a time — to make it more suspenseful and also safer. Riders are encouraged to race with safety in mind, and so far there have been no racing injuries, Pelayo said.

“It’s probably more dangerous if you’re riding bikes on your own on the street,” he said. “We choose a location that’s well-lit and out of the way.”

From Oxnight's FB page
    •  
      CommentAuthormarkphilips
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd 2012 edited

Maybe it has something to do with being at the edge of the continent, the last place you can move to in America before you drown, but Santa Monica, the Land of the Setting Sun, is certainly rising to the occasion when it comes to pedaling full-speed into the Bicycle Millenium...

The Sunday Farmers Market on Main Street in Santa Monica offer permanent, free bike valet parking every Sunday. Every effing Sunday. And they don’t get some non-profit to do it–the city itself hosts the bike valet.

Full article here
    •  
      CommentAuthormarkphilips
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd 2012 edited

From Flying Pigeon LA
    Loads of bikes, locked to loads of bike racks, in front of shops, bars, and restaurants crowded with loads of happy people. (In fact, despite a plenitude of racks, there still weren’t enough for all the bike traffic.)

Santa Monica’s portion of Main Street was blessed with a road diet several years ago, and it shows: people are riding their bikes everywhere, most of them people who are not “CYCLISTS.” Rather, they are regular folks who have discovered–thanks to their city’s infrastructure improvements, which are really modest in cost though great in effect–that the bicycle provides an effective and joyful, as well as efficient, way to do their shopping, dining, and commuting.

And so they crowd into Main Street on their bikes, engendering a cacophony of conversation, happy laughter, and cash register bells. Even on rainy days, as I have often noted!
    •  
      CommentAuthorGeoff
    • CommentTimeFeb 24th 2012

Anyone planning on making the LA Tweed Ride? I'm going to be in Hollywood, anyway, so if others would like to meet up, I'm game.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHans
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th 2012

mileco:Anyone planning on making the LA Tweed Ride? I'm going to be in Hollywood, anyway, so if others would like to meet up, I'm game.
    If I would have only known. Sorry. I rode the LAC'Mass, then met with the organizers at C.I.C.L.E. and Aimee w/New Belgium about plans I have for our Tweed down here.
    A meeting of the minds
    A ride
    A rest stop
    A Pedersen
    A raffle winner
    •  
      CommentAuthormarkphilips
    • CommentTimeMar 1st 2012 edited

Sunset Triangle Plaza Bike Corral by LADOT Bike Blog

Sam:L.A. has bike corrals:

Sunset Triangle Plaza Bike Corral
    The Sunset Triangle Plaza bike corral contains six of our popular bicycle shaped racks, comfortably accommodating up to 12 bicycles. The corral is located on the southern portion of the Plaza. Businesses surrounding Sunset Triangle Plaza, including Morning Nights (great coffee!) and United Bread & Pastry (great little empanadas and more!), as well as the bi-weekly Farmers Market, will stand to benefit from the additional bicycle parking spaces that the corral will provide. This area is particularly well suited for a bike corral due to high existing bicycling demand and constrained sidewalks.

Celebrating the opening of L.A.'s first bike corral at York and Ave. 50
    •  
      CommentAuthormarkphilips
    • CommentTimeMar 1st 2012 edited

Living Streets LA

BACKGROUND – Why Living Streets LA?

The built environment structures many of the daily choices we make about living active or passive, healthy or unhealthy lifestyles. Our streets, a key part of the infrastructure that supports our daily lives, have long favored the automobile, making active forms of movement like bicycling and walking uncomfortable and even perilous.

The key concept behind Living Streets is that by focusing on the mobility needs of people, rather than cars, we can make more efficient use of our city, transforming our streets into a healthy circulatory system. In addition, portions of the streets can be reprogrammed to provide desirable public space in a city known for its emphasis on the private realm. Click here to see the 10 Living Streets tenets that guide our work.

A new state law that takes effect January 1, 2011, officially sanctions the idea that streets should serve all users. The Complete Streets Act of 2007 (AB 1358) requires cities to “identify means for the routine accommodation of all users of the roadway including motorists, pedestrians, bicyclists, individuals with disabilities, seniors, and users of public transportation.”

About Streets for People

The mission of Streets For People (S4P) is to inexpensively repurpose underused portions of streets, changing them into vibrant public spaces, and turning streets for cars into streets for people.

There has been increased demand in Los Angeles for safer and more welcoming streets for residents to play, walk, run, bicycle and relax. At the same time, City agencies are trying to decrease rates of obesity, improve air quality, create alternative transportation choices, address lack of park space and improve the walkability and accessibility of neighborhoods in Los Angeles.
    •  
      CommentAuthorGeoff
    • CommentTimeMar 6th 2012

Los Angeles Marathon Crash Race sponsored by Wolfpack Hustle. March 18th.

I am doing this. And then I'll figure out how to do it for the various marathons and half-marathons that dot the San Diego landscape.
    Anyone else going? Can I have a ride? Haha. I raced the first one and it was crazy fun. Surreal to be flying through Los Angeles at 25 MPH....

mileco:Los Angeles Marathon Crash Race sponsored by Wolfpack Hustle. March 18th.

I am doing this. And then I'll figure out how to do it for the various marathons and half-marathons that dot the San Diego landscape.
    • CommentAuthordstone
    • CommentTimeMar 16th 2012

markphilips:
    Celebrating the opening of L.A.'s first bike corral at York and Ave. 50
    AlanKHG and I stopped by at Cafe de Leche about two days later (after the opening of the bike corral), specifically because we heard about it on Streetsblog. The Cafe was pretty happy about it after we mentioned it (and gave us a discount)! Pretty cool.