Not signed in (Sign In)
    This week, Santa Monica opened it’s first on-street bike corrals located within business districts
    •  
      CommentAuthorXO-1.org
    • CommentTimeMar 17th 2012

Hi gang: It's been a while since I've posted on here, largely because I moved back to LA a year ago. Oddly, right around when I was leaving, nearly all of my most favorite SD / LJ area businesses closed: Velo Cult, for one, but also Infusions of Tea in the UTC area of LJ, plus the burrito shop a few doors over from it, and a few other places that I loved.

I see there is an LA thread here on SDBikeCommuter, so I thought I'd introduce myself here.

I am also on Strava now, too: http://app.strava.com/athletes/267451

What's kinda cool, I think, it is that Strava grabbed ALL the Garmin GPS data files from my computer (which I didn't even know were archived on there) and uploaded them to my Strava account, too. This obviously includes a lot of SD area rides from my four years of living down there, so I'm pretty stoked about that and you'all should be able to get some good ride ideas from digging through my archives. But all my LA area rides are on there, and more are going on there, too.

Any of youse interesting in riding with me and/or meeting or staying in touch, you might check out my blog http://www.xo-1.org/ and tweets: http://twitter.com/chriskostman

- Chris Kostman, now riding the Santa Monica Mountains, both on- and off-road, usually on the same ride
    The 2012 annual Fargo Street Hill Climb will be held Sunday, March 25, 2012.
    • CommentAuthorsd_mike
    • CommentTimeMar 21st 2012

Rode Fargo before... was tiring but fun. I also ended up doing it at about 2am when I did... on my first mountain bike.
    CETMA cargobikes and racks are moving to Venice Beach.

CETMA Cargo
    My name's Lane and I operate CETMA Cargo in a weird-ass college town called Eugene, Oregon. I love it here. The people are nice and it's beautiful. Eugene is a lot different than most of Los Angeles, where I spent my teen years and met Cara, my wife.

Cara and I moved here from San Francisco five years ago. We'd come to Oregon seeking a change of landscape and greener scenery. Since we'd com...mitted to a selfish, romantic life of adventure in lieu of children (I had a vasectomy), an open-ended Oregon trip seemed fun. For the last four years, it's been nice. We've made great friends and CETMA's gone bigger than I'd ever imagined.

Last year, Eugene began feeling exceedingly small, cold, wet, and gloomy. In December, we traveled to Los Angeles to visit family and celebrate the holidays. We rented a short-term apartment on Venice Beach, and spent four days strolling the area, thinking about life in Oregon. We joked about beginning a new chapter, moving to Venice, relocating CETMA, and living our lives there for a while. Then the question: Why the hell not?!....

At the end of this summer, CETMA Cargo will move to Venice Beach, California.

I've got a lot to share about Venice Beach and why the area can benefit from cargo bikes (I'm surprised it's not happening there yet). If you've ever visited Venice, you may understand the appeal. Hopefully, interested people in Los Angeles will read this and get in touch with me. I'll soon begin seeking out new shop-space, other builders, powder-coaters, etcetera...

LOTS MORE SOON...
    My apologies for not getting this posted before the event, but my club- Swarm!- organized a yearly stage 'race' of the 10 hardest hills in the LA area. Here's my write-up from this year with photos, videos and lots of links:

http://truelovehealth.com/2012/04/02/photos-videos-and-coverage-of-the-2012-feel-my-legs-im-a-racer/
    I highly recommend visiting Oxnard,CA for a relaxing biking weekend. For a more challenging ride, there is a 26 mile class 1 path that goes up to Ojai,CA.
    DSCN4521
    DSCN4545
    DSCN4551

Hollister st just off of Main st in Santa Monica. Do you think there is not enough sharrows on this street?
    Hey Mark,

Maybe one or two more than needed, but I really do like the placement "in the lane". Those look like wide boulevards and if the sharrows were to be placed 11 feet from the right curb, they'd be in the door zone for sure.

The traffic engineers in Santa Monica certainly "get it" if they are all placed as well as those in this image. I agree with the premise that the sharrow should be in the "middle of the tire tracks" of the lane they are placed in.

In the older parts of San Diego, the roadways are narrow, in the newer developments the roadways are much wider. Eleven feet as a standard for all roads defies common sense. Our city employees need to be able to figure this out on an as needed basis. It costs a lot to install these markings, and the accompanying signage. It should be done correctly from the get go to not only save money and valuable resources like labor and time, but more importantly to insure PUBLIC SAFETY! Ya, that's right. I SHOUTED THAT LAST PART!

Either our Bicycle Coordinator, Tom Landre, or our city council reps, or the mayor (Ha), or the SDPD need to communicate with the streets division supervisors to "get with it." This is not rocket science. As much as they are moving in the right direction, and for which I really am grateful, there is need for zero tolerance of hap-hazard placement of these vital road markings. Get rid of the poindexter technocrats and get someone who knows how to use their head, with some common sense. That will go a long way to serving the citizens, taxpayers and those concerned with public safety.

Rant Over!:face-devil-grin:

Ride well and be safe out there.

OKB

PS: Those shots of you and Gina in Oxnard, Santa Monica and Ojai and the greater LA area are really inspiring. It's very encouraging to those that may want to take the multi-modal leap and bike around other parts of Southern California. Keep the pictures and write ups coming!
    •  
      CommentAuthormarkphilips
    • CommentTimeApr 23rd 2012 edited

Ojai is technically in Ventura County but close enough to LA. One of these days we plan to ride the Ventura to Ojai bike trail. Last weekend we just rode around the quiet neighborhoods and streets of Ojai to explore the small town and relax in nature. They have a natural food store in town for those with natural dietary needs (ie vegan, vegetarian, or juicers). Of course, this town caters to many tastes. While the coastal area was engulfed by the thick fog that looked like wild fire smoke, it was balmy 85F to 95F in Ojai with clear skies.
    [1] Ventura to Ojai Bike Path
    Description This is suitable for all riders - beginners who are looking for an easy route to practice, and old hands who just want a relaxing ride where they can enjoy the scenery. The path is built on an old railway line which explains its very gentle slope.

It starts in Ventura close to the intersection of the 101 and 33 freeways.

Here is a route link from Amtrak Ventura to Ojai. Along the route is Camp Comfort and also Lake Casitas lake and recreation area. There are plenty of quiet roads and rough riding from the campgrounds.

IMG03014-20120421-1821.jpg
    The locals park their bicycles like this at Bart's Outdoor Bookstore
    • CommentAuthorStephan
    • CommentTimeMay 13th 2012

For those of us interested in how the form of our cities effects our ability to get around by bike, here's a very interesting article about the boulevards of LA. Think about El Cajon Blvd, University, Palm Avenue in IB, hell, even Mira Mesa Blvd. What could they be like if we rethought the way they serve their communities.

If you want to see some creative thinking about street transformations, download the visual simulations of Marshall Avenue in El Cajon, E Street in Chula Vista, and the above mentioned Palm Avenue among others in the PowerPoint presentations here.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPaul
    • CommentTimeMay 24th 2012 edited

It is amazingly bikey up here now. I checked out Orange 20 yesterday and I'm riding down to Golden Saddle today and maybe Bike Effect in Santa Monica to satisfy my Seven lust (dangerously.)

Spent Tues in SLO just hanging out and visiting some Flanders Bikes and Art's Cyclery-- pretty much the bikiest place I've been in California.
    • CommentAuthorHMeins
    • CommentTimeMay 24th 2012

On Sunday Figueroa in LA was teeming with cyclists. They outnumbered motor vehicles. As we sat in Riordan's Tavern after the race the parade went on for an hour. Walked up to another pub on Seventh Ave. and cyclists continued to stream by. Back down to Riordan's for late lunch and it was still going.

My favorite haunt in SLO is Central Coast Brewing Co. on Monterey St. right next to Cambria Bicycle Outfitters' SLO store. The brewers are bike crazy as well.
    • CommentAuthorShady John
    • CommentTimeMay 24th 2012

SLO: I grew up there. Still working on a scheme to get back. But at least I get to visit regularly. A couple of my favorite rides these days are the Shooters trail off of Cuesta Ridge and Prefumo Canyon over to See Canyon. Have a tri-tip salad at Firestone Grill. Back in the day there was one real bike shop, Ken's Schwinn Bikes on Monterey Street. Got a 1970 Schwinn Sting Ray there, and then graduated to the champagne 1977 Nishiki Olympic, which, after much modification, was sold to some guy in North Oakland about a decade later. CBO is a nice shop and a worthy addition to SLO. But I digress...

LA: San Diego has better air, but from west LA you can ride from your house up into the Santa Monica mountains for some pretty nice mountain bike rides, and you can ride out PCH on a road bike and take your pick of 1500-2000' climbs in the canyons. Latigo, Tuna, Encinal, Stunt, Las Flores, etc. Yeah, there's a lot of motorcycle traffic in the Malibu canyons, but you just don't have hills like that here in SD near the coast. Fond memories of riding down the middle of Wilshire at 2 AM. Also recall riding unencumbered down Wilshire while it was a parking lot with everybody trying to get out of town on the eve of the Rodney King riots.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPaul
    • CommentTimeMay 26th 2012

LA:
    Went to Golden Saddle Cyclery in Silver Lake. Kyle was very cool and had a nice collection of Velo Cult memorabilia. Great shop.
    I also got to check out the Swrve showroom in Highland Park and actually get some merch in person.
    Had lunch visiting rando friends who work on the Dr. Phil show on the Paramount lot. One of the Colorado Rene Herse bikes made an appearance-- wow.

SLO:
    Visited the newly-opened Firestone Taproom twice (my sister lives in Paso Robles.)
    My visits to CBO branches have ranged from horrifying to meh.
    Art's Cyclery in SLO had so much stuff to see it was like being online. Huge warehouse space and cool people.
    Flanders is a little shop in SLO with a nice aesthetic and a cool owner. I bought a shirt.

Doing Cuesta on the road is something I'll do this summer, hope to do some of the trails as well.

Bike corral on York in Highland Park:

Signage:

Vegan donuts (just because)
    The Next CicLAvia is October 7, 2012

Route Map for October 7, 2012
    •  
      CommentAuthormarkphilips
    • CommentTimeNov 6th 2012 edited

Moved from another thread

VeloCafé:Spent the weekend in Long Beach and to piggy back on Sam's last post they (Long Beach) have really stepped up the game.

Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

Ok so the last doesn't have anything to do with cycling but it's still a step in the right direction that keeps San Diego in the Bronze Age.
    Single Speed Cyclocross World Championships 2012 in LA!

I'm spamming it up.
    Tour of LA? LACM is the same evening. I may take the train and check it out.
    • CommentAuthorSam
    • CommentTimeJan 19th 2013

I'm trying to remember why we decided not to move to NYC, SF or LA like I had originally wanted to.

LA plans on putting cycletracks and separates/protected bikeways all over the city:

In order to fulfill our Mobility Element goals and achieve complete streets, we recognize that the City needs to create a network of comfortable, safe on-street bicycle facilities that will reach local and regional destinations for all types of bicyclists. The City’s 2010 Bicycle Plan set the groundwork for creating a bicycle-friendly Los Angeles and improving safety for all roadway users. The update of the Mobility Element provides an opportunity to further identify facilities for implementing buffered or protected bicycle facilities that could encourage Angelenos aged 8 to 80 to cycle to their destinations.
    Posting this great interview from Flying Pigeon's Joseph Bray-Ali

Saturday: Hell of the Northeast presented by Swrve.

Sunday: Feel My Legs, I'm A Racer presented by Swarm! (and me).

swrve

Eldred St.

Anyone want to go up for these?
    • CommentAuthorsd_mike
    • CommentTimeJul 12th 2013

Not quite bicycling related, but related to Metro Rail in Los Angeles. I uploaded a page on my Los Angeles website showing the maps from my collection that are now a part of the artwork at the 1st / Soto station on the Metro Gold Line.

http://www.scvresources.com/introduction/east-la-station-map/
    •  
      CommentAuthorGeoff
    • CommentTimeAug 19th 2013

Also not bike related, but found this on BBC. Exploring Los Angeles' forgotten stairways to the stars.
    LA hasn't always been a city of cars, it once had one of the most effective public transport systems in the United States. In the 1920s, as the city expanded, developers naturally wanted to build up into the hills. Few people could afford cars so the city planners built long stone staircases to connect the pedestrian residents of the lofty hillside homes to the tram network below.
    • CommentAuthorStephan
    • CommentTimeAug 23rd 2013

•  
      CommentAuthormarkphilips
    • CommentTimeJan 20th 2014 edited

Los Angeles Metro sponsored LA Tweed ride. What a great way to promote bicycling and transit. York Boulevard had bike lanes, bike corrals, and a parklet. It felt like being in South Park with all the cool local shops. I plan on going back there to explore more on foot.

Sweet Rides!

To LIVE and PLAY in LOS ANGELES

Whenever I come across another indication of how addicted to the automobile that the city I find myself in (Los Angeles) is due to actual written law or policy, I shake my head.
    Once again I have to acknowledge with disgust just how socially (and traffic-) engineered this place has been so as to prioritize the private automobile in as many aspects of culture and life as possible.

And it has happened again. --copenhagenize

http://www.copenhagenize.com/2014/03/to-live-and-play-in-la.html
    • CommentAuthorsd_mike
    • CommentTimeApr 2nd 2014

While Los Angeles has a long ways to go, it is a far more livable place now than it was 20 years ago. I am always amazed at the progress Los Angeles has made, be it with trains, bicycles, and even in aesthetics.
    •  
      CommentAuthormarkphilips
    • CommentTimeAug 24th 2015 edited

My kind of traffic at Santa Monica and Venice Beach.
    #santamonica #Venicebeach traffic. #bikeinstead #rollerskateinstead #skateinstead
    • CommentAuthorbossvoss
    • CommentTimeNov 19th 2015 edited

Night Cycle - article on LA night riding, Wolfpack Hustle and grassroots advocacy

BTW, I highly recommend a subscription to the LA Review of Books. The free content on the internet has killed a lot of outlets for thoughtful, long-form essays, fiction and book reviews. LARB needs subscribers to stay afloat.
    • CommentAuthorgottobike
    • CommentTimeNov 20th 2015

Bicycles lighting the night in Venice Beach
    BBC News Magazine (moved from "In the News")
    • CommentAuthorT
    • CommentTimeApr 16th 2016

DId several searches to see where the best place would be to put this, but the new Netflix show "FLAKED" staring Will Arnett

http://www.pajiba.com/netflix_movies_and_tv/netflixs-flaked-reviewed-theres-a-reason-no-one-is-talking-about-will-arnetts-new-tv-series.php

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flaked

has a significant amount of the show with him on a sweet upright bike with swoop handlebars and front cargo rack / box rolling around Venice Beach, Los Angeles. The show is not really my bag and i'm quitting after the Pilot episode but I'm sure there will be many more shots of him riding along Venice streets (while constantly looking over his shoulder for cars). hopefully he eventually bikes down the boardwalk.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPaul
    • CommentTimeApr 18th 2016 edited

T:DId several searches to see where the best place would be to put this, but the new Netflix show "FLAKED" staring Will Arnett

http://www.pajiba.com/netflix_movies_and_tv/netflixs-flaked-reviewed-theres-a-reason-no-one-is-talking-about-will-arnetts-new-tv-series.php

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flaked

has a significant amount of the show with him on a sweet upright bike with swoop handlebars and front cargo rack / box rolling around Venice Beach, Los Angeles. The show is not really my bag and i'm quitting after the Pilot episode but I'm sure there will be many more shots of him riding along Venice streets (while constantly looking over his shoulder for cars). hopefully he eventually bikes down the boardwalk.

The series was good. We really enjoyed it, especially seeing how crazy the gentrification on Abbot Kinney has been. That Linus was really annoying though - point the fucking seat down. Actually all Linuses are annoying and will eventually be thrown out or replaced with good bikes. Nice use of Orange 20, though which is a cool shop I've frequented.
    • CommentAuthorT
    • CommentTimeJul 27th 2017

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-vista-del-mar-lanes-20170726-story.html

Last month, officials eliminated 9.4 miles of traffic lanes and added 4.3 miles of bike lanes in an effort to reduce collisions after residents complained that commuters speeding through the neighborhood put pedestrians and children at risk.

But the changes snarled traffic along the road — which carries more than 24,000 vehicles a day — leaving commuters frustrated.