Not signed in (Sign In)
    • CommentAuthorgottobike
    • CommentTimeMar 2nd 2018

bikingbill,
    Maybe stop by Tangs on Mar 18 for Marathon Crash Ride 2018?
    https://www.facebook.com/events/1722108178080213/
    Have to get there early!

Remember, the dog tags should stay in LA:
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeMar 13th 2018

Been riding (Brompton) in LA (The Valley) during the week for over a month now.

This allows me to avoid driving (use the trains to get here) and to stay in decent AirBnB's.

Some observations.

1. You can ride Ventura Blvd. but I recommend lane control and a rear view mirror. I haven't had any punishment-passes or honking so far,

2. There are nice side streets (in the hills and north of Ventura Blvd.

3. Parts of LA river have paths (dirt) that are no problem even on the 16" Brompton wheels. Wish they had this all over, would make a great bikeway.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeMar 23rd 2018

This beautiful bike path along the LA River in Studio City dead ends into a pile of mud and chain link fences.

I ended up climbing a fence and pulling the Brompton over it. There's more of this nonsense along the river. Paths that just end. Why spend the $$$ on this and do that?

(note the path was just east of Coldwater Canyon)
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeMar 23rd 2018

The climb to where I am staying is a little steep. I did it on a Brompton M6L with about 20 lbs of clothing and gear in the bike bag and a backpack.

• CommentAuthorgottobike
    • CommentTimeMay 1st 2018

An Open Letter to LA Mayor Garcetti
    https://www.purecycles.com/blogs/bicycle-news/an-open-letter-to-la-mayor-garcetti
    Michael Fishman| April 23, 2018
    • CommentAuthorgottobike
    • CommentTimeMay 15th 2018 edited

Storm City Hall for safer streets on May 18th...
    http://bikinginla.com/2018/05/02/morning-links-storm-city-hall-for-safer-streets-on-bike-to-work-day-and-killer-kalamazoo-driver-convicted-of-murder/
    "It’s my intention to give the mayor and every member of the council a copy of Profiles in Courage and Do The Right Thing, and see if they get the message."
    May 2, 2018 / bikinginla
    • CommentAuthorgottobike
    • CommentTimeMay 18th 2018

An open letter to Mayor Eric Garcetti and City Council of Los Angeles #CrashCityHall
    http://bikinginla.com/2018/05/18/an-open-letter-to-mayor-eric-garcetti-and-city-council-of-los-angeles/
    "We live in a city where for too long, the movement of motor vehicles has been prioritized over the safety and movement of human beings."
    May 18, 2018 / bikinginla
    • CommentAuthorgottobike
    • CommentTimeJun 27th 2018 edited

So here's the problem.
    June 27, 2008 / bikinginla

Thanks for 10 years of good deeds and significant contributions, Ted.
    LeBron James likes to bike to work. We tested his route — and it’s dangerous
    Ellis Simani, Javier Panzar and Mark Potts July 9, 2018 sandiegouniontribune.com
    LeBron James made headlines in 2012 by biking from his Coconut Grove home to a Miami Heat game. If he wants to pedal to work as a Laker, it will take significantly more time, and could put him at risk of hurting both himself and the team’s playoff chances next year.
    A Times reporter strapped on video cameras and rode one possible route recommended by Google Maps to give readers a sense of the journey King James might take to Staples Center from his Brentwood neighborhood. Though direct, the route followed several busy streets, many of which had no bike lanes.
    Old Knotty Buoy:LeBron James likes to bike to work. We tested his route — and it’s dangerous
    Ellis Simani, Javier Panzar and Mark Potts July 9, 2018 sandiegouniontribune.com
    LeBron James made headlines in 2012 by biking from his Coconut Grove home to a Miami Heat game. If he wants to pedal to work as a Laker, it will take significantly more time, and could put him at risk of hurting both himself and the team’s playoff chances next year.
    A Times reporter strapped on video cameras and rode one possible route recommended by Google Maps to give readers a sense of the journey King James might take to Staples Center from his Brentwood neighborhood. Though direct, the route followed several busy streets, many of which had no bike lanes.

I have to ride Ventura Blvd during the week. You really have to control the lane to survive.

We do have beautiful bike paths that go nowehere through. Very pretty,
    You really have to choose your job and your home with the bike commute in mind. It's what any reasonable person would do.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTime3 hours ago

Shady John:You really have to choose your job and your home with the bike commute in mind. It's what any reasonable person would do.

Landing a decent job at 61 years old is nearly impossible. I will end up living within a reasonable bike commute, even though that means a more expensive place.