Not signed in (Sign In)
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeDec 17th 2011

I wanted to thank everyone at Velo Cult, not just for this 'community' but for all the good things they have done over the years.
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult

Wow, thanks. We really appreciate it. Sorry we can't have two stores and keep one down here. I thought about it.

Please come to the shop tomorrow (Sunday) after the Tweed ride around 6pm for a last minute get together.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd

The quality of VC's employees and the speed by which they always were able to turn around work was simply unsurpassed.

You will be sorely missed - in fact, you already are!
    :face-crying:
    On the positive side - one less excuse not to go to Portland!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSariously
    • CommentTimeDec 18th 2011

Sad to see you guys go for sure. May you have much success and happiness in Portland! Also put your wool jerseys up for sale on your online store when you get more and I'll buy one from afar :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult
    • CommentTimeDec 19th 2011

I certainly will. Thanks.
    • CommentAuthorWilliam.
    • CommentTimeDec 20th 2011 edited

It's a shame that San Diego isn't more receptive to commuters enough to keep you guys local. We're a disfuctional city, but it seems like we're trying to grow into a community. I for one, will be bummed to be living away from here myself. But, a big thanks to Velocult for establishing a community and a place we could come together for positive, productive events. You've done more for San Diego cycling in your short term than many places have done for many years. You'll be missed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult
    • CommentTimeJan 2nd 2012

I'm going to miss you guys. I leave tomorrow (Monday) for Portland. I really hope some of you are inspired to visit us up there to see our new digs. We have some great things planned. Ok, off to the land of cold and wet....
    You will do well.. I haven't been to your SD store as I live in the North County car less, But your well liked on these forums. I will definitely let my friends in Portland know of your arrival. I hope for the best for you.
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult

Thanks, I appreciate it.
    Safe travels and we will definitely visit soon.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill

I'd move to Portland (our main office is in Florance) but my companion cant deal with cold temps. We'll probably retire to Costa Rica or some such place.

Portland is one of my fav cities, I just hope Powell's survives the eBook.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHans
    • CommentTimeJan 4th 2012

Thanks for everything.
    San Diego has had planning committees and activism groups for ages, but I really feel that you kicked the ball to make it roll, when it was moving at a crawl. Contrary to popular interpretation of "cult", you have had a great local impact on moving bicycling away from being "those people" or purely recreational, by showing how bicycling can be part of a healthy everyday culture. Not exactly a San Diego mindset, but things are going that way! I hope to make it to the PDX Bicycle Show in a few months.
    See you then!
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult
    • CommentTimeJan 4th 2012

Thanks Hans. As we all know "cult" was short for "culture" as we did all could to live up to that.

If i have a guest bed by then you are welcome to stay with us.
    To Tom @ VC this week: I don't know how he does it but he is doing an amazing job:
    1) Answering the phone every few minutes and turning away customers that need repair or tune up done)
    2) Answering questions from bike peeps constantly flowing in and out of the store
    3) For helping me out sort some parts I would need for a project
    4) Working on promised bike installs (Marilous LHT was getting upgrades)
    5) Handling payments
    6) Helping locals fix a flat tire and such
    • CommentAuthorbilld
    • CommentTimeJan 28th 2012

• CommentAuthorSam

billd:'Velo Cult' bike shop set to open in Hollywood

As someone who has worked as a volunteer on bike advocacy issues, Boyer was also frustrated at the lack of progress (due in large part to the dominance of the vehicular cycling philosophy in San Diego) in building a bikeway network.
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult
    • CommentTimeJan 28th 2012 edited

I would say that's true and problematic of our city government but not most residence. SD has the desire but no action seems to really come of it. Or if there is some movement it's very small and minimal. Perhaps one Day SD will rise up with the likes of PDX, Boulder, Long Beach, etc.

I totally see the reason behind Vehicular Cycling, I mean I did it as a racer most my life. At the same time bike infrastructure just works as proven by other cities. A balance need to be achieved. I'll be real honest and admit that all the cycling paths and blvd's are a little daunting. I do feel like I need to be "put in my place" when I'm on the wrong street. I do want to ride all street's but that's not how people here ride. I want both.
    •  
      CommentAuthormarkphilips
    • CommentTimeJan 28th 2012 edited

Loaded some nice bikes in the truck. Drew did a great job and CAREFULLY placed 16 bikes at the bottom, 15 above, and several frames all the way to the top.
    Can you see the body of the mannequin?

IMG02041-20120127-1455.jpg
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult

Ah, my prized bikes all packed up. Can't wait to see them again. Thanks for helping with the packing Mark and Hans. Huge thanks to Drew for packing both my home and warehouse. Very generous.
    • CommentAuthorbilld
    • CommentTimeJan 29th 2012 edited

I wish I could go...

Velo Cult opening party set for Saturday in Hollywood District
    • CommentAuthorbilld
    • CommentTimeMar 24th 2012

Party is happening. They have a photobooth which automatically posts the photos to the web site here:

http://velocult.com/photobooth/
    •  
      CommentAuthormarkphilips
    • CommentTimeMar 24th 2012 edited

•  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult
    • CommentTimeMar 25th 2012

Thanks Mark. It was a great party. Probably 300 to 400 people total. I'll spend a good part of the morning mopping up all the spilled beer. 4 kegs lasted only maybe 2 hours. TONS of industry people showed up. At least 40. Chris King, Periera, Vulture Cycles, Cyclone employee's, Nutcase helmet employee's, and on and on. Oh, and a U.S. Senator stayed for quite a long time. We were well received. After 15 hour days for 3 months with no day's off I'm beat up and look forward to slowing down although the shop is only about 20% of where it needs to be as far as display's and product so I have another 6 months of work ahead of me. We'll be open 10am to 10pm 7 day's a week, don't think I will get much time off for a few years.
    Thank-you Velo Cult,

For posting such great images from your work in progress, your Grand Opening and the Portland Tweed Ride 2012. I, like many others here, have been following your progress in your new city and space over the last couple of months. Seeing you transform the old antique store into a really cool bike/cafe/performance space over the course of months has been fun to watch. It's obvious you guys have been putting in your time and it's great to see your efforts come to fruition by being well received by Portland. Once your "Rose City" gets to know you as San Diego knows you, you won't just be the new kids on the block. You'll be a highly regarded member of the city for your fun bike/cafe/performance space and your significant contributions to the culture and enjoyment of biking. In that town, that's an accomplishment!

Keep posting pictures of Summit! That little critter is awesome and I really dig his hair! Ha. I wish I had hair like that. His pictures from the San Diego Tweed Rides (as a bump in 2010) and his first ride in 2011 wearing his finest tweed are still fun to check out. Now that he's a veteran "Tweed Rider", it's great to see him "at home" in the shop with all his new best friends. That is sooo cool. I'm glad I can say "I rode with that guy in 2011!"

=========================================

I want to say thanks also for getting me set up to ride once more (George did a great job on my Nishiki Cresta). Once I get some vision issues squared away, I hope to get out more. In the meantime, I've been making some headway and trying to be active in promoting bicycling, and helping the activists here in SD make things better. Every little bit helps I figure, and with the ambitious leaders here in town, a lot of what you helped to start and promote will continue to positively evolve to make SD a better biking town. We all have some grand ideas! I was going to send a message to your Grand Opening but I was at a ribbon cutting ceremony for a new section of the San Diego Bayshore Bikeway in Chula Vista. Out and about on a nice Saturday, riding my bike and dedicating new bike infrastructure. How cool is that!

========================================

Congratulations to Stephan (on the right) and other VIP's after the ribbon cutting ceremony for the new section of the San Diego Bayshore Bikeway. This is a nice view from the IB Pier looking north toward the City of San Diego and the Coronado Bridge. A good sized group from the SD Urban BS Club rode to the Imperial Beach Pier for lunch and then on up into Coronado for some liquid refreshment at Coronado Brewing. Just another day getting out and about, biking around in San Diego. Very nice in deed!

With the longer days and warmer weather, we are all going to be biking more. I hope you and the crew at VC take some time to "Smell the Roses" in Portland as you continue to build out your shop. Have some fun and enjoy time with your family and new friends. Know also that you have some big fans here in San Diego who enjoy watching your continued success!

Ride well and be safe out there,

Kelly C.
    (OKB)
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult
    • CommentTimeApr 3rd 2012

Wow, thanks for this message. You are making me Home sick. Especially with all that sun in the photos. Maybe some day I can return for a vacation with Summit and we can all meet up once again.

Still working hard on pulling the people in the doors up here but hopefully soon they come flooding in. My expenses went way up and this whole thing is a big gamble with no nestegg.

BTW, we posted some out tweed photos yesterday. It was a good ride and good after party.

http://velocult.com/2012/04/pictures-2012-portland-tweed-ride-velo-cult-party/
    •  
      CommentAuthormarkphilips
    • CommentTimeApr 7th 2012 edited

Blast from the past. I saw this at Graffiti Beach FB page. They now occupy the previous Velocult space.

•  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeApr 13th 2012

Friend in Portland had this to say about Velocult's arrival there:

They have been the toast of the town since they got here. Really - front page of the newspaper, TV news, local magazines. Pretty impressive.
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult

We have been well received. Far more so than I anticipated to be honest. I thought we would have to work really hard to work a little niche here but so far we are doing OK.

Today we started serving beer in bottles and next week we will have draft beer, tea, pour over coffee, and Tamales added to the mix.

You guys would be amazed to see how many beautiful custom bikes come though the door. For example there are two early Strawberry bikes currently in the work stands right now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult

BTW, look who stopped in and found our photobooth.

Photobucket
    From Sky, owner of Velocult and founder of this forum,

Hey San Diego, my wife, two toddlers and myself are headed your way early October. Pop up shop and visiting friends and restaurants. Anybody have a cheaper place for us to stay? Maybe a house swap even? We need at least one private bedroom.
    Photo: Hey San Diego, my wife, two toddlers and myself are headed your way early October. Pop up shop and visiting friends and restaurants. Anybody have a cheaper place for us to stay? Maybe a house swap even? We need at least one private bedroom.