Not signed in (Sign In)
    • CommentAuthorShady John
    • CommentTimeMay 30th 2015 edited

Flybys are pretty cool, but the feature also makes you even more of a public figure when you're on Strava. I can imagine women especially might be a bit concerned by this--now guys are able to track down the women that they encounter (and try to pick up on) during rides.

Forbes has a recent article on this:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/andyrobertson/2015/05/19/strava-flyby/
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd 2015 edited

Strava Flyby: Roadies ride past your house: You whip out your smartphone and hit Strava real fast to find out who they are (true story).
    •  
      CommentAuthorbilld
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd 2015 edited

For people who upload (like me), they only see where I've been; not where I am.

I'm not sure how the phone app works because I don't use it. Does it upload your ride as it's happening?
    I think if you have Strava Premium you can have it upload in real time.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeJun 4th 2015 edited

In my comment, I was thinking of simply uploading the ride and check the Flybys after the fact, not in real time.

billd:For people who upload (like me), they're only see where I've been; not where I am. I'm not sure how the phone app works because I don't use it. Does it upload your ride as it's happening?
    Shady John:I think if you have Strava Premium you can have it upload in real time.
    Correct. For real-time following to work, at the very least, you and your friends need to:

1) Have a premium Strava account
    2) Use the Strava app for ride recording
    3) Activate the feature in the app
    4) Be connected to data during your ride
    • CommentAuthorT
    • CommentTimeJun 4th 2015 edited

Good job san diego on your group biking! https://nationalbikechallenge.org/local-challenge/1580

EDIT: I thought it was just May 2015, but it looks like it goes all the way to September. keep getting those miles in!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2015 edited

Rapha Rising 2015 - July, Saturday 18th to Sunday 26th. 30,730'.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPaul
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2015

Sigurd:Rapha Rising 2015 - July, Saturday 18th to Sunday 26th. 30,730'.

Ugh. Okay, who's ready for Pine-Kitchen-Pine? I'll figure out how to sneak it by my coach.
    • CommentAuthormfutch
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2015

Finally, I can participate in one of these.
    • CommentAuthormfutch
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2015

Wait, is it not affiliated with Strava anymore?
    http://pages.rapha.cc/rapha-rising-2015

"Register your pledge to climb below. Prizes will be awarded to the top three grimpeurs who not only complete the challenge, but find interesting and inspiring ways to document their efforts."

They seem to want you to document it some other way besides using Strava. Not that it matters to me...
    •  
      CommentAuthorbilld
    • CommentTimeFeb 15th 2016

•  
      CommentAuthorPaul
    • CommentTimeFeb 16th 2016

It's still amazing that Synthetic can climb over half a million feet a week. Last year, it took me until November to pull that off.

•  
      CommentAuthorSigurd

Riding hills is a giant cop-out: Half the time you're going really slow, the other half you're just coasting.
    • CommentAuthorsynthetic

Paul:It's still amazing that Synthetic can climb over half a million feet a week. Last year, it took me until November to pull that off.

its a defect with garmin 910xt. im not on warranty so im stuck like this unless someone buys me a new watch :)

When you load the rides to Strava, there's an option to recalculate elevation using Strava's map-fitting algorithm. The default when you upload a trace that has altimeter data is to accept that data. But if you know it's off, just do the Strava recalculation.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPaul
    • CommentTimeFeb 17th 2016

Voila
    •  
      CommentAuthorbilld

Sigurd:Riding hills is a giant cop-out: Half the time you're going really slow, the other half you're just coasting.
    If you've got a big enough gear, you don't have to coast.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbilld

Paul:Voila
    I can't seem to find a way to do that after the fact. I use Garmin Express to upload automatically so that I just have to plug the GPS in and software handles it from there.

As near as I can tell, this recalculate is only available with manual uploads.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPaul
    • CommentTimeFeb 18th 2016

Nope. That's an old ride that was automatically uploaded via SRM Device Agent. Just open Strava in a browser and click on the word elevation. It worked the same way when I used Garmin Express.
    • CommentAuthorsynthetic
    • CommentTimeFeb 18th 2016

correct elevation feature doesnt reset total, just on intervals of what ever you set (so if you do pace per mile on run, it will do elevation for each mile)
    •  
      CommentAuthorPaul
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th 2016

I don't know what that means in English.

I don't really care but these explanations have been silly for a long time. That feature corrects the total for the ride which is what is compiled for your total. I did it for years when I had a somewhat wonky Garmin.
    • CommentAuthorsynthetic
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th 2016 edited

never mind looks liek strava fixed it. regardless i workout all day its annoying correcting elevation all the time. wish they had a setting to not import elevation
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeFeb 20th 2016 edited

What's the point in publishing data if one can't be bothered to make sure they are recorded correctly...[rhetorical]
    • CommentAuthorsynthetic
    • CommentTimeFeb 20th 2016

Sigurd:What's the point in publishing data if one can't be bothered to make sure they are recorded correctly...[rhetorical]

distance is my metric of focus. but i do have a power meter for my real rides ;) ... once a month lol
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeFeb 21st 2016

Another cool Strava Labs feature - "GPX to Route":

1) Upload a GPX file or a Strava activity
    2) Convert it to an editable route
    3) Upload to GPS for navi

This is not that different from what other sites, such as RideWithGPS, can do, of course, but you can do it all inside Strava, add layers such as heatmap and bike facilities, and integrate nearby popular segments.

synthetic:
    Sigurd:What's the point in publishing data if one can't be bothered to make sure they are recorded correctly...[rhetorical]
    distance is my metric of focus.
    Define "rhetorical question": "Asked in order to produce an effect or to make a statement rather than to elicit information"
    • CommentTimeFeb 29th 2016

• CommentAuthorgottobike
    • CommentTimeFeb 29th 2016 edited

Shady John
    Rumor has it this JP fellow is even trying to smash records held by San Diego's own @scottinley and @BillWalton.
    What's next, Palomar Mt South Grade? Honey Springs?
    -GTB
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeMar 24th 2016

When you KOM the most competitive (and prestigious?) climb in SD City (and County?); with 15,000+ Strava riders on it:

Torrey Pines Grade
    •  
      CommentAuthorPaul
    • CommentTimeMar 27th 2016 edited

Fast kid. Missed a move at the end of Tucson to lose the Cat 2 jersey. 4:55 is almost a sprint. Getting Horner off of Palomar or Honey is a bigger ask.
    • CommentAuthorsynthetic
    • CommentTimeMar 27th 2016

he is a good buddy of mine... his results went thru the roof last few years that he is cat 1 now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeApr 8th 2016

Sigurd:Riding hills is a giant cop-out: Half the time you're going really slow, the other half you're just coasting.

easy to say if you're not gravitationally challenged :-)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeApr 26th 2016

A climbing challenge which is just that: Giro d’Italia Climbing Challenge
    Sigurd:A climbing challenge which is just that: Giro d’Italia Climbing Challenge

Sigurd, that's under 1000m per day--just another day at the office for you, x23...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeMay 2nd 2016

Shady John:...that's under 1000m per day...x23...
    I was counting on getting 24!
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeMay 19th 2016

Strava Rage? Sträva-Blocked?

Did the "ride of silence" yesterday, wanted to share the Strava ride on FB etc.

So when I tapped "record" on the iOS app, Strava bought up some message about Premium and I tapped past that.

Assumed it has started recording my ride.

It had not. This is really poor poor design Strava folks. I AM a premium member. Your marketing thing spoiled my use of the app.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeMay 24th 2016

KOM for my age group and 8 seconds from the overall KOM: https://www.strava.com/activities/585976350/segments/14261223619
    • CommentTimeJul 30th 2016

There seems to be no more "full screen" view on the Strava website. As I commented in the Strava community, I think this has to do with making the website relatively less attractive than using the mobile phone apps. It makes Strava significantly less attractive to me.

I'm thinking of bailing on Strava. I haven't researched any alternatives--any thoughts? I mostly want to log my rides, and maybe share with a few other folks, and see what other people are riding. Maybe Garmin connect or Ride with GPS or Map My Ride. Haven't really looked into them.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd

Shady John:There seems to be no more "full screen" view on the Strava website.
    What exactly is the function they have removed? May be just me, but I don't see any differences from before...

Shady John:I'm thinking of bailing on Strava. I haven't researched any alternatives--any thoughts?
    I would guess that if you want to see what your peer group of cyclists is doing, that Strava is up there among the best. I sense that this is the case for dirt-riding, too, but I have less experience with that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPaul

Shady John:There seems to be no more "full screen" view on the Strava website. As I commented in the Strava community, I think this has to do with making the website relatively less attractive than using the mobile phone apps. It makes Strava significantly less attractive to me.

I'm thinking of bailing on Strava. I haven't researched any alternatives--any thoughts? I mostly want to log my rides, and maybe share with a few other folks, and see what other people are riding. Maybe Garmin connect or Ride with GPS or Map My Ride. Haven't really looked into them.

John, have you tried the StravistiX plugin for Chrome? It adds a ton of functionality to Strava in a browser. Full screen maps can be viewed in Google Maps.

Thanks Paul. I just added the extension and now I can see a usable map again. I wonder how the folks at Strava feel about this extension. I don't know how much use I have for the other functionality--I'll have to explore it. But it's interesting that it thinks I spent 80 seconds of my ride today above 600 watts. My guess is this might have something to do with GPS error.

Australian city releases cycling masterplan to go fully Dutch
    July 29, 2016 / carltonreid

“The GPS mapping tool, Strava Labs, was employed to better understand which parts of Perth’s cycling network are most heavily utilised. The following trends/generalisations were noted: Separated and/or protected cycling facilities receive significantly higher patronage compared to unprotected cycle lanes or sealed shoulders.”
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeSep 4th 2016 edited

relive.cc must me one of the coolest applications of the Strava API I have ever seen - thanks to "Johnny Luxxer" and "Nate Kermit" for turning me onto it.

•  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeMar 24th 2017 edited

With 5,000 riders and 19,000 attempts on Strava, the Torrey Pines grade is one of the more prestigious segments in San Diego. Watch Phil Gaimon, ex pro, nab the KOM.

• CommentTimeMar 26th 2017

At those speeds, the skin suit might have been the difference!
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeMar 27th 2017

That's so damn impressive.