Not signed in (Sign In)
    •  
      CommentAuthorPacMUle
    • CommentTimeApr 10th 2012

Hey all, it's that time of year again! Figured I'd throw this up here to have a thread of all things related to T.N.R... Please post up here if you have any info, ie- news, types of races that night, bands or other special entertainment for the evening, rides/meet-ups pre & post race, brag/heckle for your favorite racer... Whatever it is, lets stick it where the sun dont shine, right here in the intertubes :D
    ......................................GO GO GO!.......................................

For any first timers, don't be scurrrd, you will not be alone. The crowds are always friendly & I am going to do my best to be there every week (even if later in the evening)... I'm pretty easy to find, burgundy Davidson & a giant green Alice-Pack. I also know that the Urban BS/Taco Tuesday crew will be headed that way after food and libations many nights throughout the season... Sooooooooo, come on out and enjoy the fun, weather and super awesome company! In other words...
    BE THERE OR BE SQUARE!
    •  
      CommentAuthorPacMUle

BTW, durrrr... tonight is opening night so it should be a lot of fun! schedule as best i know is as follows:

6:30
    Motorpaced Warm-up,

C-grade 8 lap Tempo
    B-grade 10 lap Snowball
    A-grade 12 lap Scratch race

All- Slow Race

C-grade 20 lap Points race
    B-grade 35 lap Points race
    A-grade 45 lap Points race

see ya there!
    • CommentAuthorHMeins
    • CommentTimeApr 10th 2012 edited

Bringing a case of beer!
    • CommentAuthorlisi

I do believe I will be stopping by for a bit. See you all there!
    • CommentAuthorHMeins

Hammer time!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsvelocity

PacMUle:BTW, durrrr... tonight is opening night so it should be a lot of fun! schedule as best i know is as follows:

Motorpaced Warm-up,

C-grade 8 lap Tempo
    B-grade 10 lap Snowball

All- Slow Race

see ya there!

How did you come to learn this schedule of races?
    •  
      CommentAuthorPacMUle

saw it posted on their facebook page... though i dont really know how official that is.

wpstoll:Bring a lawn chair; the City issued a stop work order for the bleachers - no permit.

that is kinda a bummer... last i was there it was just the first section by the steps & the rest were fine. is it the whole thing now?
    • CommentAuthorlisi

^ Yes. :face-sad:
    • CommentAuthorHMeins

It will be better than ever when it's finished.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPacMUle

till then, WE STAND! :face-devil-grin: ... or lounge on the grass.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPacMUle
    • CommentTimeApr 11th 2012

awesome night at the races! bleachers were fixed & they had a pretty good turnout :D and as always, great to see everyone, HippyonaBike, Syclespruce, Lisi, Cecil, Hans, Mark & many more... till next week!
    Wish I could have made it, but looking forward to next week.
    • CommentAuthorHMeins
    • CommentTimeApr 11th 2012 edited

Let's get them to open the back gate!
    •  
      CommentAuthorHans

The area where the new foundation is being made was barricaded and waiting for the city representative to get back from vacation apparently. The bleacher structure itself, is sound, so a "take action" person arranged for a temporary installation (which looks as if it had no problem holding a capacity crowd). No miracles, just an unsung hero that saw a problem and took care of it.

It was fun to see everyone comparing their smartphone photo apps. The hazard in turn three? Either it has been removed or the racers adapted well. I didn't see any disruption in the flow of the bicycles that were racing. Although I'm not a "racer", I didn't notice it when I was doing laps a few weeks ago. Best to ask svelocity or lisi on that one, since they ride the track on a regular basis. Everybody in attendance had a great time, and it looks like it'll be a great season!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsvelocity

Hans:
    It was fun to see everyone comparing their smartphone photo apps. The hazard in turn three? Either it has been removed or the racers adapted well. I didn't see any disruption in the flow of the bicycles that were racing. Although I'm not a "racer", I didn't notice it when I was doing laps a few weeks ago. Best to ask svelocity or lisi on that one, since they ride the track on a regular basis. Everybody in attendance had a great time, and it looks like it'll be a great season!
    The cement patch in turn three is still there. The patch is an approximate 1cm higher compared to the rest of the track so there is a small lip. It's like riding over a crack in the sidewalk when the two sidewalk slabs have shifted. Unfortunately at speed it can be quite disconcerting. A "hazard"? No, I don't think it could cause anyone to fall but it definitely needs to be taken care of. Honestly, I don't think it would take much to blend (sand) the lip down so it matches the rest of the track. I've seen it done on sidewalks frequently.
    • CommentAuthorHMeins
    • CommentTimeApr 11th 2012 edited

svelocity:
    I don't think it could cause anyone to fall

Oh, really?
    PacMUle:awesome night at the races! bleachers were fixed & they had a pretty good turnout :D and as always, great to see everyone, HippyonaBike, Syclespruce, Lisi, Cecil, Hans, Mark & many more... till next week!

Agreed. It was a good time last night. Always nice to see familiar faces and meet some new ones. Thanks again for the gloves Hippy! Until next Tuesday Ladies and Gentlemen!
    •  
      CommentAuthorPacMUle
    • CommentTimeApr 17th 2012

WHEEEEEEEEE! Tonight's the night! I will probably head there around 6:30 - 7pm from North Park (El Cajone & 30th) if anyone wants to take the quick lil ride with me... And though it's a long shot, if anybody plans to head there from further north, I will be leaving Mira Mar (route map) around 4pm, so if anyone wants to meet up or catch up along the way feel free... beers and naps will be held at my house pre race time, or you can just walk a block to Tiger Tiger & kill time there. Whisper me if ya need my digits...
    •  
      CommentAuthorPacMUle

also... here is the schedule according to FB...

Tuesday April 17th Schedule (subject to change)
    If there are 30 Bs again, will have split races

6:30 - Motor paced warm up

C's 7 lap Scratch race
    B's 9 lap Scratch race
    A's 10 lap Tempo

C's 8 lap Point-a-Lap
    B's 10 lap Snowball
    A's Miss-n-Out

C's 15 lap Points race
    B's 30 lap Points race
    A's 10 Mile Scratch race

see ya'll at the track!:face-devil-grin:
    •  
      CommentAuthorPaul

FYI - Nelson Vails is at Brooklyn Bicycles and they're riding over to the Velodrome around 6. A chance to ride with a bike hero and a guy with a unique story.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPaul
    • CommentTimeApr 18th 2012

Nelson was introduced by fellow '84 Olympian Shaun Wallace and made a few remarks on the mic. He said his track career basically started after a meet here where he was picked up for the US development squad. Very cool of Richie Ditta to set this up. I was stoked.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsvelocity
    • CommentTimeApr 18th 2012

Great time last night! With Nelson present Shaun Wallace was not taking second in any race. No sir! He really turned on the jets and gave the crowd a nice salute after each win. Very cool...
    • CommentAuthorHMeins
    • CommentTimeApr 18th 2012 edited

Kinda like Lance. You always know who's going to win!
    •  
      CommentAuthorPacMUle
    • CommentTimeApr 24th 2012

YAAAAAAAAY TUESDAY! unfortunately i will probably not make it till the very end (couldnt get to work early today) but i am gonna ride my ass off to get there, and hopefully i will at least catch the last race. the 45 lap A race should be brutal! i'm leaving mira mar about 6:30 or 7pm if by chance anyone wants some company for a ride in from that area.

TNR 4/24 Schedule from FB...
    Motor paced warm up

C's 7 lap Scratch
    B's 8 lap Point a lap
    A's 9 lap Snowball

C's Unknown distance
    B's Miss-n-out
    A's 15 lap Scratch

C's 15 lap Points race
    B's 30 lap Points race
    A's 45 lap Points race
    •  
      CommentAuthorPacMUle
    • CommentTimeMay 1st 2012

ok.... so no schedule was posted today, but it should be awesome as always! i hope they do a slow race tonight, because i love watching people fall without all the "AAAAGHHHHHHHHHHHH MY FACEEEEE!" or "no dude, i think its broken..."
    :face-devil-grin:
    i will be heading out from Mira Mar at 6:30 if anyone cares to join... also, i believe the taco tuesday/urban BS group will be heading there later in the evening to join in the festivities.... ANNNNNNND, last week svelocity said he will be racing with the C's! so come on out, cheer on a buddy & help heckle the announcer into bringing a good playlist! seriously... no man woman or child should be forced to race to lady gaga when it's entirely possible to be racing to Iron Maiden!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsvelocity
    • CommentTimeMay 2nd 2012

PacMUle:ok.... so no schedule was posted today, but it should be awesome as always! i hope they do a slow race tonight, because i love watching people fall without all the "AAAAGHHHHHHHHHHHH MY FACEEEEE!" or "no dude, i think its broken..."
    :face-devil-grin:
    i will be heading out from Mira Mar at 6:30 if anyone cares to join... also, i believe the taco tuesday/urban BS group will be heading there later in the evening to join in the festivities.... ANNNNNNND, last week svelocity said he will be racing with the C's! so come on out, cheer on a buddy & help heckle the announcer into bringing a good playlist! seriously... no man woman or child should be forced to race to lady gaga when it's entirely possible to be racing to Iron Maiden!
    Pacmule - I honestly missed your post about TNR and I was wondering why so many folks were asking why I wasn't out there. Ooops I forgot I had mentioned it to you that I planned on racing.

Frankly, I did the Friday Night Races last week and although I did very well in the shorter sprint races (Scratch and Snowball) but I did not do well on the longer 20 lap points race. Those longer 20-25 lap races are very common on the Tuesday night C races and I lost a bit of confidence after my results from Friday. Ah the fear of failure under the bright lights...well I guess I need to just suck it up and get out there!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorPacMUle
    • CommentTimeMay 2nd 2012

sorry man... i posted way late cause i was waiting for them to post a schedule on FB. didn't mean to put you on blast either, just excited to cheer for someone i know. hopefully next week if you're ready! maybe we can even convince Lisi too, after she finishes her classes... SDBikecommuter racing team!?!

crowd seemed a lil small last night but it was lots o fun none the less... and it's always great when the Urban BS folks make it so i have familiar faces to talk to and ride with afterwords!
    •  
      CommentAuthorPacMUle
    • CommentTimeMay 8th 2012

HOOOOOORAY FOR TUESDAYS! tonight's the night! schedule from the FB page is as follows...

May 8th TNR Schedule
    6:30 Motorpaced Warm-up,
    C-grade 7 lap Tempo
    B-grade 8 lap Snowball
    A-grade 10 lap Scratch race

C-grade 3 laps + Belgian Win-n-out
    B-grade 4 laps + Belgian Win-n-out
    A-grade 5 laps + Belgian Win-n-out

B-grade 5 mile Scratch race
    A-grade 5 mile Scratch race

as usual i will be leaving from Mira Mar but today at 4pm if anyone wants a buddy to ride into town with... or, if anyone is interested in meeting up pre-race & a short ride down to the park from, hmmmmmm i dunno, tiger tiger or someplace in that area & bail for the track around 6:30pm let me know...

svelocity, are you racing tonight?!? i see some short C races -nudge nudge-:face-devil-grin:
    •  
      CommentAuthorPacMUle
    • CommentTimeMay 9th 2012

couple of pics from the warmup laps at the track... enjoy
    lots of dudes on bikes
    more dudes on bikes :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorsvelocity
    • CommentTimeMay 10th 2012

TNR warm ups this past Tuesday...Shaun Wallace on the electric bike and he did not take it easy on us.

Aces 10 mile race. Just watch where Shaun places himself in the pack. A good lesson in preserving energy until the final kick...when you really need it.

Thanks for posting this!
    •  
      CommentAuthorPaul
    • CommentTimeMay 11th 2012

If you don't know, that super fast woman in the A's on the Felt with world champion stripes: http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-oly-cycling-hammer-20120506,0,7138871.story
    •  
      CommentAuthorPacMUle
    • CommentTimeMay 15th 2012

hmmmmm... still no schedule as of yet but there are whispers of a madison race tonight, which always turn out to be pretty awesome & really fast! who else is hitting up the track tonight?
    •  
      CommentAuthorPacMUle
    • CommentTimeMay 15th 2012

HA! finally...
    Tuesday May 15th Schedule

Motor paced warm up

C's 8 lap Point a lap
    B's 9 lap Scratch
    All Slow Race

C's Unknown distance
    B's 10 lap Tempo
    40 lap Madison

C's 15 lap Points race
    B's 30 lap Points race
    60 lap Madison
    •  
      CommentAuthorPacMUle
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2012

!!ATCHUNG!! ... a few weeks ago i talked to the announcer & convinced him to let me bring some music in so that we and the racers dont have to get tortured with lady gaga & other songs of the such... so imma makin a mix! asking for suggestions, or even better to get mp3 files to me... think race songs: Queen, bicycle race / break free ... Iron Maiden, run to the hills ... Dead Kennedys, buzzbomb from pasadena ... anything FUGAZI ... fun upbeat rock & roll kinda stuff. remember there are kids though so we're not gonna blast obvious cursing, ie: sadly, most Snoop Dogg songs are out... get the gist? help me out here folks!
    •  
      CommentAuthorPaul

I can't come this week, but if I ever hear Fugazi at the races I will buy you a beer.
    You would have to sneak this one into the playlist but a hell of a song to race to:

•  
      CommentAuthorsykkelspruce
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2012 edited

On a serious note tho, some of my favorite night riding music would be : Lymbic System, Venetian Snares (Rossz Csillag Alatt Sz├╝letett Album), Minus the Bear, El Ten Eleven. I have it all at the house if any of it interests you.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd

Cecil:I can't come this week, but if I ever hear Fugazi at the races I will buy you a beer.

Awesome new avatar, Cecil!

"Serious Randonneur? "Sick Randonneur?" "Strong Randonneur?"
    •  
      CommentAuthorsvelocity

PacMUle:!!ATCHUNG!! ... a few weeks ago i talked to the announcer & convinced him to let me bring some music in so that we and the racers dont have to get tortured with lady gaga & other songs of the such... so imma makin a mix! asking for suggestions, or even better to get mp3 files to me... think race songs: Queen, bicycle race / break free ... Iron Maiden, run to the hills ... Dead Kennedys, buzzbomb from pasadena ... anything FUGAZI ... fun upbeat rock & roll kinda stuff. remember there are kids though so we're not gonna blast obvious cursing, ie: sadly, most Snoop Dogg songs are out... get the gist? help me out here folks!

There's plenty of quality hip-hop that you don't have to resort to West Coast Gansta... Reggae is always a fan favorite... Though I can't think of anything bicycle related in either one of those genres :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorPacMUle
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd 2012

Cecil:I can't come this week, but if I ever hear Fugazi at the races I will buy you a beer.

sykkelspruce:On a serious note tho, some of my favorite night riding music would be : Lymbic System, Venetian Snares (Rossz Csillag Alatt Sz├╝letett Album), Minus the Bear, El Ten Eleven. I have it all at the house if any of it interests you.

svelocity:There's plenty of quality hip-hop that you don't have to resort to West Coast Gansta... Reggae is always a fan favorite... Though I can't think of anything bicycle related in either one of those genres :)

syclespruce, Dillinger is a great idea! so is Venetian Snares... great tempo & i love that band! next time i stop by i will have to grab some mp3's from ya. i know there has to be some great hip hop choices too... but i just cant think of anything that doesn't have easily understandable cursing in it.... it's out there i am just drawing a blank. Reggae is a great idea too! thanks for bringing that up, i would have forgotten all about that.

great ideas guys! keep 'em coming...
    for the hip hop stuff I would say both Lupe Fiasco & Common Market could work well. Both have some jazz influence and the Lupe Fiasco stuff has skateboard references although that doesn't fit in completely. But also neither are vulgar. Another one I was just thinking about that would be fun to rid to would be Comeback Kid.

Common Market:

Lupe Fiasco:

Comeback Kid:
    •  
      CommentAuthorPacMUle

thanks syclespruce, i digg that Common Market one... totally the style i was lookin for! ....

as for tonight! ... no schedule as of yet, but if i see it later i will throw it up here. but i did hear a tidbit of useful info from TIGER! TIGER! $3 beers for 3hrs - 5-8PM anyone wanna meet up for a few beers & a quick ride to the park pre-race?... hit me up
    •  
      CommentAuthorsvelocity

I agree with Common Market and Lupe Fiasco! Others would be Lifesavas, Omega Watts, and Ugly Duckling is fun. Plus you could reach back into the 80's and 90's for an infinite amount quality hip-hop. Reggae well there's soooo much. My suggestion is anything from the 100-600% Dynamite series from SoulJazz or Studio One Records. Pretty unbelievable collections... It's a bit late in the game for you now but in the future I throw down some music for you.

Thanks for stepping up and organizing the TNR music!! It's a sorry state of affairs up there now...
    •  
      CommentAuthorPacMUle

thanks svelocity! those are all great tracks too! hopefully i can get a bunch of stuff rounded up & have it ready for next week :D
    •  
      CommentAuthorPacMUle
    • CommentTimeMay 29th 2012

WOOOOOOO HOOOOOO! I <3 tuesdays!
    i could not find a full schedule for tonight but what i do know is that tonight is Keirin night for the A & B riders & reg races for the C's... should be super fast tonight! also, i heard there will be a live band as well!

:face-devil-grin: see y'all at the track!
    •  
      CommentAuthorPacMUle
    • CommentTimeJun 5th 2012

BAM! here is the schedule for the night...
    Schedule for this week's TNR:

C-grade 8 lap Tempo
    B-grade 10 lap Snowball

C-grade 15 lap Scratch race
    B-grade 15 lap Scratch race
    A-grade 5 laps + Belgian Win-n-out

should be awesome as always! see ya there...
    •  
      CommentAuthorPacMUle
    • CommentTimeJun 19th 2012

WAAAAHOOOOOO! race night! schedule is as follows...

Tuesday June 19th Schedule

Motor paced warm up

C's 8 lap Point a lap
    B's 9 lap Scratch
    All Slow Race

C's Unknown distance
    B's 10 lap Tempo
    40 lap Madison

C's 15 lap Points race
    B's 30 lap Points race
    70 lap Madison