Not signed in (Sign In)
    • CommentAuthorwcvarones
    • CommentTimeMay 19th 2012

This applies to both Vulcan (the street just east of the railroad tracks) and the 101 bike path.
    [[_linker_]]
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeMay 20th 2012

Yeah, I'll be pulling these out of the Marathon Pluses for months. Hope I catch them before they work their way thru.
    • CommentAuthorHMeins
    • CommentTimeMay 25th 2012 edited

This condition has persisted for the 30 years I've been riding in coastal north county. Northbound 101 in Leucadia is another hot spot for Tribulis terrestris, those insidious little caltrops known as "goatheads." Stay off that damned little bike path!

Marathon Plus is the only tire I've ever used that isn't punctured instantly. When I hear the tell-tale "tic-tic-tic-tic," I can usually stop in time to pull them out before they get to the tube. I take them home with me and burn them in the fireplace so they don't sprout anew and find another victim.
    Man Works To Eradicate Pesky Weed In Ocean Beach.

I've met Greg a couple of times in my travels around the Mission Bay/OB area. He's a really cool guy, easy to chat with and really determined to eradicate Goathead weeds. His bike is rather interesting too. He's got it all set up as a work vehicle with all his tools and sundry equipment. Very clever.... necessity is the mother of invention. He really does put in 10 - 15 miles a day, stopping to clear Goathead's when he finds it.

Ride well and be safe out there.

OKB

• CommentAuthorHMeins
    • CommentTimeJul 26th 2012

Emex spinosa and Tribulus terrestris have similar caltrop shaped seed pods, both easily capable of puncturing bicycle tires. Emex has an upright growing habit, while Tribulus sends creepers across the ground horizontally. Tribulus is the noxious weed that plagues cyclists along Hwy 101 from Solana Beach to Oceanside as well as along Vulcan.