Not signed in (Sign In)
    •  
      CommentAuthormarkphilips
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd 2012 edited

I enjoyed camping for 2 weeks just 30 miles north of Taos,NM at 8650 feet. I want to do it more often but with bike camping without the big investment in time or money. So I plan to host bike overnight event soon. It has been something members have been talking about. So it is time to make this happen. Stay tuned. I hope you will join me.

I plan (for starters) to choose campsites near the coastal region to accommodate multi-modal traveling to the campsite. It is up to you to get to the chosen campsite but it is always more fun to ride together. A regular campsite are restricted to 8 people. So it would make sense to book in advance or take a chance at one of the hike and bike participating campgrounds. But it will be more fun if we have a complete campground. Of course, the camping will occur on a Saturday night.

Campground fees vary but very expensive near the coastline of San Diego ($25-$65). So participants will be asked to contribute from $5 - $10 each or whatever you can contribute.

Take an Overnight Bicycle Trip

By Christina Scannapiego
    Recreation.gov

You love camping. You love riding your bike. You're dying to go on a little adventure. You're jealous of your friend whose recent vacation consisted of biking from Boston to San Diego.

Whether you've never been on an overnight bicycle trip and you have no idea where to begin or you just can't imagine having the time or expertise to cross the entire continent on two wheels right now, you can still jump into your first one- or two-day bike trip without any worries at all - and the experience will prepare you for a longer trip in the future until you build up to the big one. "It's amazing how a one- or two-night bike trip can feel like a bigger adventure," says Mac McCoy, who's served as tour director, routes and mapping director and general expert in adventure cycling since the '70s and was the national coordinator of the Great Divide Mountain Bike Route.

He reminds us that as far as accommodations go, your options are limitless.

"Credit card" touring, as McCoy calls it can be more relaxing and much easier on your load, since you're not worrying about camping. How fun does biking through the country with your significant other or group of friends sound, treating yourselves to a night an inn or bed and breakfast?

But if you're the looking for a wilderness adventure, a bike camping overnight is the perfect quick fix for that longing. Besides, as McCoy points out, "for those of us who love to bike tour, but don't always have the time or money, camping on your bike overnight is a great option." He stresses the sense of accomplishment you'll feel when you come home, even after just one or two nights.

Resources:
    http://www.bikeovernights.org/
    http://www.recreation.gov/marketing.do?goto=acm/Explore_And_More/exploreArticles/Take-an-Overnight-Bicycle-Trip.htm
    •  
      CommentAuthormarkphilips

Some video inspirations from our friends from the north
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd 2012

Sounds like fun Mark - eyes peeled!
    • CommentAuthormichael_s

ditto... I'm new to the area but would like to meet everyone and a bike overnight sounds like a good time. I love camping too.

Mike
    Carlsbad
    • CommentAuthorStephan

Just ordered a nice little 1-person tent that will fit nicely in my saddle bag, so I'm ready!
    •  
      CommentAuthormarkphilips

Let the bike packing begin...Suggested gear list. Use whatever you have.
    I hope bike-packing will help me with my pack rat mentality. Oh wait, I can bring more stuff with my bike compared to backpacking.:face-devil-grin:
    • CommentAuthormfutch
    • CommentTimeJul 4th 2012

What kind of 1-person tent did you get?
    This would be something hilarious to get especially when it pops up in a hike and bike camp spot
    http://www.firebox.com/product/3644/VW-Camper-Van-Tent
    • CommentAuthorjacobk
    • CommentTimeJul 4th 2012

I'm down for this, sounds like a great time!

Not sure if this is someone from the forums but I came across this blog a bit ago:

http://bicyclecampingsandiegocounty.blogspot.com/

Has some good write-ups on trips to nearby campgrounds and other bike camping tips.
    •  
      CommentAuthormarkphilips
    • CommentTimeJul 4th 2012 edited

That is Craig Prior's (Slobiker) blog. I haven't seen any posts from him for a long time; his last login was Oct 1, 2011.
    •  
      CommentAuthormarkphilips
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2012 edited

Scouting for campsites: Guajome Regional Park Campsite. Fee $25 (not certain if this goes up in the summer). Plentiful of dirt trails along the park. As well, there is a plaza near the College and bike trail intersection for sustenance if needed. Online Reservation link

I rode from Oceanside Pier to Guajome Park tonight to check out the route and campsite. The 32 campsites were small and were all occupied. I'll check to see if I can book a campsite for Saturday July 21st. The route was very easy along the San Luis River trail.

IMG03753-20120709-1932.jpg

Near the park the trail becomes dirt road that goes under Hwy 76 which leads directly to the park.
    IMG03754-20120709-1939.jpg

There is a chart at the check-in station which indicates occupancy status' at the entrance.
    IMG03755-20120709-1946.jpg
    •  
      CommentAuthormarkphilips
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2012 edited

The campsites at San Mateo campgrounds in San Clemente are bigger than Guajome Park. Fee $25.
    The route is about 22 miles from Oceanside Transit Center. There is an optional dirt road along adjacent to the road that leads to the campsite. Expect some hills.
    •  
      CommentAuthorShapps
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2012 edited

I've had family stay at the San Mateo grounds and I feel like it is an RV camp ground, but the sites may still be available to anyone who wants to rent them. However being an RV site, I think they are all very narrow and close together.

There is the San Clemente s State Beach site. Good campground but not sure about site reservations. Also the San Onofre sites. I'm not a huge fan of that campground, but there are generally spots. Both of those keep a nice mostly flat coastal route.
    Most sites along the SoCal coast line accomodates RVs. So that is a given, no doubt.

How about the Alpine brewery route to east county? Are there campsites nearby?

San Clemente State beach campgrounds are $25 per campsite. I went there to have a look around.
    One of the trips we plan to do is an S240 to Ojai where a nearby private campground: take the train to Ventura, then ride along the paved rail trail all the way up to Ojai. The fee is $25 per campsite. I'll look up more info and post here.
    I am so envious to those cyclotouring along the coast line
    •  
      CommentAuthorShapps
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2012

I want to do San Francisco to Santa Barbra next spring. I was going to do it this year but the guy I was going with backed out and I didn't want to do it alone. When I get closer to planing it for next year I will post here to see if board members want to join.
    I just recently discovered this blog:

The Velo Hobo: Ultralight bicycle touring
    This blog will focus on touring lighter and less encumbered. I am not an expert; I only know what works for me. I’ve been into ultralight backpacking for many years and now that I am beginning to tour more by bicycle I wanted to apply some of the same ideas. There’s very little information and resources out there specifically for ultralight bike touring, but plenty for backpackers. Fortunately, much of the same gear and techniques work well for both. I hope you enjoy and visit often.

I discovered that every campground near the coast is booked solid "on weekends" until the end of August. So reserving a campsite for the S240 will be postponed for the Fall. Stay tuned.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeAug 7th 2012

markphilips:I discovered that every campground near the coast is booked solid "on weekends" until the end of August. So reserving a campsite for the S240 will be postponed for the Fall. Stay tuned.
    Many campgrounds have a "Hike and Bike" policy whereby campers arriving by foot or bicycle are given an overnight spot even when otherwise full.
    •  
      CommentAuthormarkphilips
    • CommentTimeAug 7th 2012 edited

So for example, if 8 cyclists show up at San Elijo would they still honor the "hike and bike" policy. I've never done a group bike camping before.
    • CommentAuthorStephan
    • CommentTimeAug 8th 2012

California State Parks hike and bike web page
    •  
      CommentAuthorKathy
    • CommentTimeAug 11th 2012

San Diego County also has some good campsites and a nice on-reservation system...
    http://www.sdcounty.ca.gov/parks/online.html
    A couple of the Hike and Bike campsites at San Elijo state campground and beach.

Campsite #64 Campsite #63
    Photos were taken earlier this week.
    • CommentAuthorjstech
    • CommentTimeSep 3rd 2012 edited

I'd love to do a bike overnight. The hiker/biker deal is great, but you can't always guarantee you'll get it. I did a cross-country trip in 2008 that ended in Laguna Beach, and my last night I stayed at San Elijo. They didn't have any h/b sites available, but they still gave me a discount on a full site (after double-checking whether they could give me the h/b rate, the ranger asked for $20 for a site, and then gave me $10 change :-D). This was in December (I don't remember the day of the week), so definitely off-peak.
    •  
      CommentAuthormarkphilips

We biked and stayed in San Elijo state beach/campgrounds last weekend and stayed at Campsite #65. It was the southern part of the campground. I highly recommend getting there early; check in was 2 pm. Hike and Bike spots this long weekend filled up very quickly: My family stayed at #65; a German in his 60s on a cross-continental tour at #63, Danny Flack and friends from Ocean Beach at #62 ; Number 64 was was claimed by a stealth camper who arrived really late and left before sunrise. The h/b fee was $6 per head.

The water was warm at 70 F even late in the afternoon. So we jumped in after setting up the tents. Then we walked to Bull Tacos, which is located in the campgrounds, for dinner then walked over to Seaside Market Plaza for desserts.

Gena rode her Nishiki Colorado Mixte (650B from 26") with panniers and a basket. Nicholas towed a BOB trailer with pillows, fleece blankets, thermarest pads and sleeping bags.

The trip was approximately 10 miles from home. We made one stop at Pannikins Cafe in Leucadia for treats and to make some adjustments to our gear and load.

We invited Nicholas' friend to go with us. So I had her ride on the Bike Friday tandem. The tandem had front panniers with tools and my clothing; rear basket had water, stoker handbags and kids clothes; BikeRev trailer had three tents, tarps, beach chair, etc. On riding Hwy 101 in Leucadia we took control of the right lane. Most people slowed down to check out the family and our rig then they change lanes to pass. We positioned our bikes in an echelon form and did not ride in single file (similar to motorcycles in a group). So we can see traffic ahead and be able to stop or avoid debris on the road.

Bike Friday Tandem with e-assist on S240 tour

Night time: We got used to the roar of the ocean that mingled with traffic on Hwy 101 even with wearing silicon earplugs. We didn't get much sleep as locals, teenagers, night beach goers accessed the beach on the other side of the fence. We learned it was a popular hang out place because it didn't break the noise rules of the campground since they were outside the fence. When those people lingered (chatting) I just got up and aimed my MiNewt250 strobe at them. At 4 am, I got up and really beamed two lights (one strobing, one fixed) at some teenagers outside the fence. Campgrounds on any long weekend is typically packed and noisy. So I was not expecting solitude on this trip. After that annoying scene, I walked to other sites to make a mental note of good sites. All the campsites were serene with the sound of breaking waves. Then I went back to our tent and slept for a couple of hours. The kids were up at 6 am and wandered around the beach and campsite with other kids. We walked to Sambazon Acai bar for breakfast then packed up the camping gear. We were on the road by 10 am. We stopped by Encinitas Lumberyard to feed the kids and to hang out before proceeding to Leucadia farmers' market; then home. All in all it was a great getaway and very refreshing.

The German tourist said that out of all the different destinations on his tour he loved the Southern California weather the most. So go out there and enjoy and get spoiled.
    •  
      CommentAuthormarkphilips

If I had known that Guajome Campgrounds were this quiet this past long weekend. We would have gone there instead! To the left of the trail is usually packed with out of town campers and kids running around.
    Guajoma park
    Monday we road along the San Luis River trail in Oceanside then to Guajome park where I took the photo above. See my other post about details about the park. The Melrose Sprinter station was under 3 miles from the park. So we opted to take the light rail back to Oceanside.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsvelocity
    • CommentTimeSep 5th 2012

Looks like a fun weekend Mark!
    The Path Less Pedaled: Riding Under the Harvest Moon

Nice!
    • CommentAuthorjacobk
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd 2013

Planning on doing an s24o (or s48o..) sometime over the next month or so.

Does anyone know if San Onofre has hike/bike campsites that you can stay at without a reservation?
    • CommentAuthorStephan
    • CommentTimeFeb 3rd 2013

No hike and bike sites at San Onofre State Beach. The nearest hike and bike sites are at Doheny State Beach in San Juan Capistrano, Palomar Mountain State Park, Cuyamaca Rancho State Park and San Elijo State Beach.
    • CommentAuthoreaton
    • CommentTimeFeb 3rd 2013

Stephan:No hike and bike sites at San Onofre State Beach.
    I asked the woman at the booth one day and she said that they didn't have any official hike and bike sites but you can ask the head ranger for a variance.
    • CommentAuthormfutch
    • CommentTimeMay 24th 2013

S24O in my new locale. Rode to Shell Ridge after work last night and woke up here this morning:

S24O
    • CommentAuthormfutch
    • CommentTimeMar 11th 2014 edited

Julian overnighter bike camping this Saturday. We'll be riding from Normal Heights to Alpine, then taking Viejas Grade and Boulder Creek up to Julian. Camping at a retreat center campground and riding back on Sunday. 68 miles up, plenty of climbing. If you are interested, let me know!

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/4016376

FB event here: https://www.facebook.com/events/671893636210632/
    • CommentAuthorLucky
    • CommentTimeMar 13th 2014

Looks idyllic Futch!
    • CommentAuthorCurtis
    • CommentTimeMar 16th 2014

Mfutch

Hope your overnight ride went well. Would have like to come with you, but committed to a ride in Redlands on Saturday. Maybe next time. Ride peacefully.
    • CommentAuthormfutch
    • CommentTimeMar 18th 2014

I had a great time this weekend with all the folks that braved the long journey up to Julian to stay overnight. The ride was longer and harder than I think any of us expected - 69 miles and about 8500 ft of climbing (apparently ridewithgps doesn't overestimate elevation by as much as they used to). We stopped at Alpine Beer for a refreshment and to pick up a couple riders, then stopped in Descanso at Veronica's Kitchen where we ate burritos and chatted with some guys doing the Stagecoach 400 (we saw several of them descending Viejas Grade). Boulder Creek was longer and tougher than I had remembered (although last time I wasn't fully loaded...) and we didn't manage to get into Julian until after dark. Spirits remained high and soared even higher when we reached our warmshowers.org host and they had cooked dinner for us had put some firewood in their wood-fired hot tub! We set up our tents scattered about on the farm and cracked a few beers we picked up in town. Our hosts were employees of Camp Stevens who lived in a yurt on the camp's farm property. Lovely people and a lovely place! Here are a few photos from the trip and a link to the album: https://www.flickr.com/photos/24165333@N06/sets/72157642551273823/

The crew on Viejas Grade
    IMG_1636

Looking back after first big Boulder Creek climb
    IMG_1653

Sun going down
    IMG_1673

The farm
    IMG_1686

The crew
    IMG_1697

Everyone was still up for the dirt detour through Sycamore Canyon on the way home
    IMG_1743

The reward
    IMG_1231
    A glimpse of how challenging that was. I definitely would like to do a shorter bike overnight to get used to bringing gear and such.

Next time I will start in Alpine. I managed to explore Arnold and Tavern area; farmers market, great burrito place with garlic fries, donut shop, CVS, and more. There were two elementary schools to take refuge from the sweltering sun and refill the water bottles. Thanks mfutch for this photo.
    • CommentAuthormfutch

That shot of Chris and Jeff was at the top of Inaja Indian Reservation, definitely the steepest and toughest part of the ride. Great job out there Mark, that climb up Harbison had to have been tough on a loaded Bike Friday!
    •  
      CommentAuthormarkphilips
    • CommentTimeMar 18th 2014 edited

Nah. The legs didn't have enough base milage and climbing endurance. I just need more saddle time. I just realized that I can't over do it as when my leg muscles tighten. Particularly, tight Iliopsoas muscles agravates low back pain.

Those truck roads and single tracks are my favoite terrain
    •  
      CommentAuthorSmorg

You guys (and gal) rock!!! :D I'm so jealous. Gotta get me a touring (or at least a cyclocross) bike. My lone aluminum roadie probably won't do it that long on the dirt. :)
    • CommentAuthormfutch
    • CommentTimeMar 19th 2014

Curtis:Mfutch

Hope your overnight ride went well. Would have like to come with you, but committed to a ride in Redlands on Saturday. Maybe next time. Ride peacefully.

Thanks Curtis, we had a great time! How was the Redlands ride? I think Esteban was out there for that one too right?
    • CommentAuthorJgrody
    • CommentTimeApr 11th 2014

Hey everyone, I am thinking about putting together a touring/bike camping class towards the end of April. The class will be out of my shop Terra Rhythm in Ocean Beach. It will cover bikes, racks, bags, nutrition, camping, camping gear, and milage. I would like to know how many people would be interested. Please reply here or on our facebook. https://www.facebook.com/terrarhythmbikes
    • CommentAuthorerik
    • CommentTimeApr 11th 2014

Heather and I did our first overnight trip this past weekend, loading up the camping gear and riding to Dana Point (camped at Doheny Beach). It was a nice ride, especially since I have never done Pendleton before.
    Doheny Beach

I will spare myself the effort of completely repeating what I wrote on my own blog, but if you want to read about the whole ride, you can find it here.
    • CommentAuthorJgrody
    • CommentTimeApr 13th 2014 edited

Two weeks from tomorrow we will be having a class on bike camping/touring. The class is $5, will last until the last question is answered and you will receive 10% off on gear the night of the class.bike camp
    •  
      CommentAuthorPaul
    • CommentTimeApr 27th 2014

My version of S240. I only took one pic.
    I rode the train up to Simi Valley wearing my kit and carrying a 5 dollar backpack with on train entertainment (catching up on my junkmail reading) and a pair of flip flops.

The route out of Simi Valley to the coast wasn't that exciting, but it let me get off the train faster and do a longer ride than going to Goleta and heading south would have. The Simi Arroyo Bike Path was okay. Pre-coastal Ventura County was just a bunch of fields. The headwind was pretty intense Friday. There were some nice views at the coast before I turned inland to find the coast highway again.

I was intending to ride straight down through the night but tech problems with my new dyno setup caused me to ride through Malibu in the dark and it got a little scary. I holed up in Venice for 6 hours and waited for daylight and came down using the bike paths of LA - basically, the end of the ACA Pacific Coast Route. The crazy wind Friday night buried the beach paths in sand, so I diverted. Unless you hit them very early, there will be too many peds and freds to really make time on them anyway. I wasn't using turn by turn on the Garmin due to the lack of charge from my tech problems (USB hub) so I wasted a lot of time navigating. It's not a difficult route if you know where you're going. No need to carry much, it's all urban and you can find what you need on the way down. Coming out of the Marina, a pit stop in Dana Point and another quickie in San Clemente were enough to get me home.

http://www.strava.com/activities/134524003

http://www.strava.com/activities/134524035
    • CommentAuthorJgrody
    • CommentTimeApr 28th 2014

The bike camping class is tonight! The class will be held at 6pm at Terra Rhythm bike shop in OB. It's $5 and you will receive 10% off
    • CommentAuthorLucky

Quite some ride Paul-thanks for sharing!
    Good luck with the class Jgrody-sounds fun.
    • CommentAuthorShady John

Paul:...tech problems with my new dyno setup caused me to ride through Malibu in the dark and it got a little scary. I holed up in Venice for 6 hours and waited for daylight...

Very understated description--there was rain Friday night, and when I think of "holed up in Venice" I can only imagine Jim Morrison lying on the curb with an empty bottle of whisky next to him.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPaul
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2014

^^that would have made it heroic. I did get caught in the rain but one piece of equipment in my jersey was a credit card. I got a few hours sleep in a bed and it was closer to Marina del Rey than the Morrison Hotel.