Not signed in (Sign In)
    •  
      CommentAuthormarkphilips
    • CommentTimeJun 11th 2014 edited

Anybody interested biking overnight to Guajome Park on Saturday June 21? Send me a PM. Space is limited due to a small site. Check in is 2 pm on Saturday. Check out is 1 pm on Sunday. Plenty of trails around the park for underbiking. You can contribute $ or bring some snacks, marshmallows, firewood, or drinks. I can bring a small grill. Near the route there are small plazas to get sustenance: Mexican restaurant, mainstream coffee place and pizza joint, Fresh and Easy, Sprouts, and more. So after tent setup we could explore the area.

I plan on taking the Sprinter light rail to Oceanside. I could meet you at the Oceanside Transit center between 11 am and 11:30 am.

Ways to get to Oceanside:

Ride your bike from home.

Take the Coaster train which leaves Old Town 9:53 am for a 10:53 am arrival in Oceanside. Then ride from there following this 10 mile easy and mostly car-free route.

Drive your car to Solana Beach, Encinitas, Poinsettia, or Oceanside Transit Center. Park the car overnight. Then ride your bike to Oceanside. It gives you the opportunity to put in milage if you choose to do so.

markphilips:Scouting for campsites: Guajome Regional Park Campsite. Fee $25 (not certain if this goes up in the summer). Plentiful of dirt trails along the park. As well, there is a plaza near the College and bike trail intersection for sustenance if needed. Online Reservation link

I rode from Oceanside Pier to Guajome Park tonight to check out the route and campsite. The 32 campsites were small and were all occupied. I'll check to see if I can book a campsite for Saturday July 21st. The route was very easy along the San Luis River trail.

IMG03753-20120709-1932.jpg

Near the park the trail becomes dirt road that goes under Hwy 76 which leads directly to the park.
    IMG03754-20120709-1939.jpg

There is a chart at the check-in station which indicates occupancy status' at the entrance.
    IMG03755-20120709-1946.jpg
    •  
      CommentAuthormarkphilips
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd 2014 edited

That was a great overnight camping at Guajome Park. After taking the Sprinter to Oceanside, I meandered along the beach route then followed the San Luis River trail to Guajome Park. After setting up camp, I rode back about two miles to the nearest store to get dinner and snacks. I found a picnic bench in Guajome park with a great view of the hills which gave a great vantage point for equestrians and bird watching. I forgot to bring earplugs; the campites were relatively quiet during the day. Except that late in the night, it seemed that Hwy 76 to the north and Santa Fe Ave to the west became a place for drag racing with loud superbikes and cars with the occasional police sirens chasing after the speeders. So earplugs is a must. After pass midnight, peace. Then the water sprinklers turned on around 3 and 5 am!???? Yeah there were water sprinklers! Then I woke up with seemed like a symphony of birds singing. Got up and enjoyed a quiet morning walk, packed up the tent, and rode back to Oceanside. I had breakfast at Pierview cafe. I felt very rejuvenated and energized. I hope to do more bike-overnight soon.

It was eerie sight to see the remnant of the recent brushfire along the trail. All of the houses were spared along this part east of College Blvd.

After setting up camp, I explored the single track trails around the lake

One of several equestrians that evening
    • CommentAuthormfutch
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2014

Nice ride Mark!
    • CommentAuthormichael_s
    • CommentTimeJun 25th 2014

dang!, I wish I would have checked this site in the last few weeks Mark. I would have gone with you.
    It's a nice little park. I car camped there with my extended family in May.

Mike
    • CommentAuthorgottobike
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2014

Would Kumeyaay Lake Campground in Mission Trails Regional Park make a good Fri or Sat S24O?
    https://www.mtrp.org/campground.asp

Maybe a ride what ya got: cargo bike, cruiser, omafiets, alright... bromptons too, kinda ride.
    Thanks for posting guys! You have been an inspiration. After joining a few of you on the Julian bound ride I am looking to do an S240 this week but am trying to figure out the tent and sleeping bag stuff, what bike to take etc. Was thinking of riding from PB to a near by camp site but am trying to put the locations together. Someone mentioned Mission Trails had camping but I just saw it is is Fri and Sat overnight camping only. To be continued...
    • CommentAuthorbossvoss
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2014

Bikepacking overnighter from San Juan Capistrano to the Border, to commemorate Kerry Kunsman

Registration
    Note that there is also a Saturday only ride, if you don't want to do the overnight, that starts in Encinitas.

From SDCBC:
    In Kerry Kunsman's honor, the Bike Coalition is hosting an overnight bicycle tour on December 13th and 14th. Kerry's Ride Home will be a social and scenic bike tour. This ride is open to all types of riders and bicycles. In the spirit of Kerry, we hope to introduce more San Diegans to bicycle touring and the empowerment that comes with traveling by bike. Participants will ride the last leg of Kerry's tour, from San Juan Capistrano to Tijuana, ending in San Diego with a post tour celebration of Kerry at Mission Brewery on December 14th at 4PM.

Please join us for the two day tour OR day two option. Both days will have several stops, riders are welcome to ride at a pace that feels most comfortable for them, either meet us at designated lunch spots OR the final stop of the day for dinner and a post ride celebration.

For more details about the tour and celebration of Kerry at Mission Brewery, please contact Hannah Williams at hannah@sdbikecoalition.org. Transportation to the start of the ride not included neither are meals. There will be restaurants along the route.

Day 1
    Saturday December 13th
    Depart 9AM San Juan Capistrano Train Station end in South Carlsbad State Beach (overnight camping, bring your own tent and sleeping bag)
    Click here to register.

Day 2 FREE
    Sunday December 14th
    Depart 8AM Pannikin Coffee House in Encinitas (510 N Coast Highway 101, Encinitas, CA 92024) end at Mission Brewery (1441 L St, San Diego, CA 92101) 4PM
    Father and son overnight camping at San Elijo campground. The very high tide and surf showered us with roaring waves all night long. Felt renewed and at the same time sleep deprived.

There were several beautiful VW microbusses that were very admirable.
    Dialed in my S240 and coffee outsside gear.

Two Esbit pocket stove, Stanley Boiling pot+French Press+ Vacuum bottle, Stanley thermos, packable table.

My #coffeeoutside gear: Two Esbit pocket stove (inside kettle), GSI mini-kettle, Stanley Boiling pot+French Press+Vacuum bottle in one.
    Not shown are matches and lighting wand. Coffee grounds, loose tea leafs, or hot chocolate can be place it the top container of the Stanley.

•  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd 2016

The French Press, Boiling Pot look great.

My favorite way to make coffee.
    •  
      CommentAuthormarkphilips
    • CommentTimeNov 1st 2016 edited

Just cross-posting here from the Fall Rando thread
    The Schwinn Lawyer:Planning another over-nighter at San Elijo on Sat. 11/5 - taking the 9:39 am Coaster to O'side and then Metrolink to San Clemente. Ride south to San Elijo; camp; roll out and ride home. If there is enough interest, I can see about getting a site (as opposed to the h/b site). Presently, I believe we have four planning to camp.

Most likely I will rendezvous with The Schwinn Lawyer and crew in Oceanside at the junction of Pierview way and N. Pacific St (which leads to the Oceanside Pier). ETA between 1-2 pm. If you can't make it to the ride just show up at San Elijo, wait for the crew to arrive or get us a campsite (bluff or beach side is the best) or just hang out in the evening. We'll split the cost. Please get in touch with The Schwinn Layer (Chris T). There are plenty of dining establishments and Seaside market and breakfast joints in the area. So just bring sleeping gear and something for morning coffee.

Bike The Coast is also on 11/5. So expect more bicycling folks along PCH.
    http://bikethecoast.eventmediainc.com/course-maps/

Nicole Burgess setup at bike overnight two weeks ago at San Elijo. We had a blast!

UPDATE

The Schwinn Lawyer:Thanks for posting, Mark. We had a change of plans and are going to camp at South Carlsbad State Beach, not San Elijo. We lucked out and reserved a site right on the ocean. We will be rolling south from San Clemente at 11:45 am so our estimated time of arrival in Oceanside is 1:15 / 1:30 pm.
    • CommentAuthorJD-63
    • CommentTimeNov 3rd 2016

This looks like so much fun. Unfortunately due to work schedule and mostly my bike needing some attention, I'll need to pass on this trip. Hopefully I can catch the next one.
    •  
      CommentAuthormarkphilips
    • CommentTimeNov 6th 2016 edited

I met with Chris T, Kate F. and Dennis S. in Oceanside. The Metrolink train had a 45 minute delay (note to check Twitter updates for these delays). We got off the train in San Clemente Pier then rode for two miles along the rail trail to San Clemente State Campground and along the streets adjacent the beach. Then it was mostly quiet roads to San Onofre State Beach and Campground and Camp Pendelton. Approximate distance was 30 miles. I had other previous plans that evening so I did not camp overnight. Several folks (10?) rendezvous at the beach side campsite that evening. As soon as I get an update, I will add a few photos.

The view was surreal!

Here is the video that Dennis Stein compiled for us. Whatever your schedule maybe, bike overnight is possible. Ride a lot, ride a little, take the train, hop on the bus. Getting to and returning from the campsite offers many possibilities.

•  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeNov 22nd 2016

Bump - for sub-24 hour overnight bike camping trips ("s24o"), post here.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeNov 23rd 2016

Dennis does nice work. Is he a pro?

I'm actually looking for a video person for a "demo reel" on a app I'm the product manager on.
    Looking forward to next weekend in Carlsbad. More details here.
    Follow up to Mark's post - a group of us are taking the 9:39 am Coaster to Oceanside on Saturday, where we will catch the 11:24 am Metrolink to San Clemente Pier. We will ride south through Camp Pendelton to S Carlsbad State Beach. All are welcome - recall that you need an ID and helmet to ride through the base.

I assume others will just ride north from San Diego but don't have details.

The essentials:

Date: December 17, 2016
    Place: S Carlsbad State Beach, Site Nos. 94 and 95
    Arrival: we will likely arrive by 3:30/4:00 pm
    Food: bring your own or ride across the freeway (< 1 mike) (we are not planning to cook)
    Transport Mode: bicicleta
    Return: Ride home Sunday morning

Should be a good time with a good group.
    Next Bike Overnight maybe on the last Saturday this January (28?) according to Nicole Burgess birthday weekend. Stay tuned for more info
    • CommentAuthorbossvoss
    • CommentTimeMar 10th 2017 edited

from SDCBC:

Kerry's Ride Home: 2017 Bike Touring Weekend, March 18-19th, 2017

Ever thought about bike-touring before? Now is your chance!
    Please join us for a bike-touring weekend to honor the late Kerry Kunsman. Kerry was an SDCBC Board Member and traveling via bike from the Canadian Border to the Mexican border when he passed away in September 2014. We aim to honor him by doing what he loved best! Our van-supported ride will allow you to adventure on your bike in a whole new way!
    Join us for a van-supported bike touring weekend!

Meeting Spot: Java Depot, Solana Beach
    11:30 a.m. Saturday
    You will be able to put your tent and supplies into the van!
    To get to Solana Beach, we suggest checking out the Amtrak schedule here. You can take the Amtrak from San Diego Santa Fe Depot station at 10:41 to arrive in Solana by 11:22 a.m. for example.
    Ride 30 miles up to campsite at San Onofre State Beach.This will include at least one stop along the way. Dinner, beers, and camp cheer will be provided by the SDCBC! Campsites will also be covered by the SDCBC.

Day 2 (Sunday):
    Option 1: Ride 30 miles back to Solana Beach.
    Option 2: Ride 60 miles back to San Diego to Mission Brewery.
    There will be stops along the way!

This is designed for anyone who would like to go adventuring with their bicycle!
    Registration and more info
    • CommentAuthorT
    • CommentTimeMar 19th 2017

bikingbill:Dennis does nice work. Is he a pro?

I'm actually looking for a video person for a "demo reel" on a app I'm the product manager on.

Dennis is the local North Park jack of all trades. He owns many UPS Store franchises, does great photography / video, super nice guy, host of many parties, one bad skateboard shredder and electric motorcycle owner!

You can message him on his Vimeo page:
    or Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/dsteinsd

He's always interested in new projects!
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeMar 20th 2017

Sadly (or not), I'm no longer working at that company.
    • CommentAuthorRohler
    • CommentTimeMar 28th 2017

Hey bossvoss,

Did you ride Kerry's Ride Home? Please tell us about it if you did?

Cheers.
    • CommentAuthort.e.d
    • CommentTimeApr 7th 2017

Would anyone like to go on an SDBC campout on June 24th? Maybe a coastal ride?

http://builtbyswift.com/swiftcampout/
    • CommentAuthorRohler
    • CommentTime4 days ago

Yes, but not sure of my schedule then.
    • CommentAuthort.e.d
    • CommentTime4 days ago

Rohler:Yes, but not sure of my schedule then.

Cool. Keep an eye on this thread as the date gets closer. Maybe we can plan a ride?
    • CommentAuthorJD-63
    • CommentTime2 days ago

I want to do the camp out this year as well, but I work weekends and am looking to do a ride midweek prior to the actual camp out. Not sure if anyone else would be free or want to go midweek rather then on that weekend.