Not signed in (Sign In)
    • CommentAuthorjstech
    • CommentTimeAug 21st 2012

I'm new here, but I'm trying to figure out--does San Diego participate in the national bike counts? The September counts are coming up soon (9/11-9/13).
    • CommentAuthorStephan
    • CommentTimeAug 22nd 2012

jstech:I'm new here, but I'm trying to figure out--does San Diego participate in the national bike counts? The September counts are coming up soon (9/11-9/13).

Yes. There arei a number of permanent bike and pedestrian counters installed around the region that are managed by SDSU. I'm sure they report there data.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd

This is probably the bike and ped count project you are referring to, for everybody's information.

I can't recall having seen this particular counting project active in San Diego before - which, if so, is too bad. I quote from the San Jose Parks web site:

Is there value in counting the number of trail users?
    Absolutely. After completion of the first Trail Count in 2007, staff was able to accomplish the following:
    Secured grant from the State of California for $700,000 awarded for construction of the Guadalupe River Trail (Woz Way to Virginia Street). State representatives reported that the Trail Count Fact Sheet influenced the grant panel’s decision to award the grant.
    In discussing a $350,000 grant application, State of California (Caltrans) staff said that the Trail Count Fact Sheet data about commuting was impressive and wished other agencies gathered similar data.
    The City received a $150,000 grant from the Bay Area Ridge Trail for Penitencia Creek Trail and $123,000 from the State of California for Guadalupe River Trail enhancements. Both applications included the Trail Count Fact Sheet.
    The City coordinated with sponsors of the San Jose Grand Prix to minimize impacts from event closures along the Guadalupe River Trail. The Trail Count Fact Sheet helped to document the negative impact of such closures to bicycle commuting.
    Trail Count 2008 data supported efforts to secure $1,377,000 in grant funding.
    • CommentAuthorStephan

Not quite Sigurd. I'm assuming jstech is refering to the National.Documentation.Project.. It is a quarterly data collection.effort developed to overcome the general lack of data on bicycling and walking in the transportation profession where it can be said that, if you aren't counted, you don't count.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd

Stephan: I'm assuming jstech is refering to the National Documentation Project.
    This one, right?
    • CommentAuthorjstech

Sorry I didn't link before. Sigurd is right--I was referring to the National Bicycle & Pedestrian Documentation Project. They do counts in September, January and May--the September counts are coming up. I just moved here from Baltimore, and I usually volunteered to count bikes one morning each period. It was always a lot of fun, so I was just thinking I'd volunteer here if San Diego did the counts. I guess they don't, although the automated counting systems are great too (I recently noticed loops on the Rose Canyon trail, which is part of my commute).
    •  
      CommentAuthorbilld

Where are the counting locations in San Diego?
    • CommentAuthorpanoply
    • CommentTimeNov 15th 2012

Are you all volunteering to count with the Active Transportation Research folks through SDSU? Two more opportunities this weekend: http://ipua.sdsu.edu/docs/ATRValidationCountVolunteerFlyer10-31.pdf
    SD Bike counts on KPBS now. Kris Kluth, Howard Lagrange, and Cherry (last name?) being interviewed

Some interesting data mentioned
    • CommentAuthorSam
    • CommentTimeJan 18th 2013

From last month, but I only just saw the video:

Separated facilities, women being indicator species.

And Mark, that's Sherry Ryan.