Not signed in (Sign In)
    • CommentAuthorVeloCafé
    • CommentTimeOct 22nd 2012 edited

With the end of TNR (Tuesday Night Racing) for the season we're starting another Tuesday night social gathering with Two Wheel Tuesday.

On Tuesday nights get to the fountain when you get there to socialize and hang out with everyone. We leave the fountain at around 6:15pm for a social friendly bike ride around town with a different destination and route each night.

Just about every night we'll go to a SDBC discount provider but we'll save one Tuesday night a month as a wild card to bike to a local biz and try to get them to join in on the discount program.

This is a pro-bicycle ride. We are not anti-car. Be courteous, be social, get others to join in, and have fun!
    • CommentAuthorVeloCafé
    • CommentTimeOct 22nd 2012

This Tuesday the ride will be heading down to Cafe 21 in the Gaslamp where you'll enjoy a 10% discount for riding your bike. I won't be able to make this one so I hope everyone has a great time. Lucky.penny, synthetic, and others will be there with all the plans and info.

Here's a link to a facebook event page with more info and a route in case you wanted to catch up along the way.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsvelocity

VeloCafe - Thanks for organizing! I guess Taco Tuesday has disintegrated, huh? Lisi and I tried to get the TT guys to integrate their rides with the Discount program businesses but it never worked out.

With the new kid, I'm limited to about one weeknight out of the house. Once track class is over, I'll be able to make it out for these rides. Cheers!
    • CommentAuthorsynthetic

Bring the kid in a bob trailer!! Cafe 21 is family friendly
    •  
      CommentAuthorsvelocity

synthetic:Bring the kid in a bob trailer!! Cafe 21 is family friendly
    It's in her future but she's a bit too young for that now. I think the prerequisite for riding in a trailer is actually being able to hold your head up. ;-)
    • CommentAuthorVeloCafé
    • CommentTimeOct 28th 2012

This Tuesday there is a big Halloween run starting at the County Admin building in front of the Star of India ship. They usually run 2.5 miles for the slow people up to 5 miles for the fast people ... Lets bike down and catch them for the run! We can follow them around through downtown and then make our back up to Little Italy where we'll hit up UnderBelly for 10% off food when you ride your bike.
    Where is the meetup place? Big Fountain or Sd county admin building?
    • CommentAuthorjacobk
    • CommentTimeOct 30th 2012

I think, from this post on the facebook event, it sounds like we'll be meeting at the fountain and then riding down together from there to catch the run:

http://www.facebook.com/events/288741831236197/

Sorry we didn't get a route posted but here's the general idea. We need to leave promptly to catch the costume run downtown. We'll head out the park and down Laurel making a left on 1st and a right on Hawthorne to Harbor Drive. From there we can ride along the embarcadero to catch up with the run and randomly follow it and ride around downtown. Then we'll head back up to Little Italy to nosh at UnderBelly.
    • CommentAuthorVeloCafé
    • CommentTimeNov 5th 2012

Sorry, long weekend and haven't got the chance to get details out. We'll be heading out to OB tomorrow night to Ranchos Cocina. Not a disount provider but one we hope to bring in the fold. I'll try to get a route up later. The other Tuesday ride appears to be starting back up again. I don't want any contention so we'll talk about maybe moving this ride to Thursdays or something that works for folks. Hope to see you all tomorrow for a 6:15 roll out. For now we'll still meet at the fountain by the science center side to try and avoid confusion.
    This Tuesday will be a rift. Unfortunately, I can't make it this week.
    • CommentAuthorVeloCafé
    • CommentTimeNov 11th 2012 edited

We'll be going to Blind Lady this Tuesday night to also support their Beer for Books event. 20% of all proceeds go to Room to Read. Leaving the fountain at 6:15pm in front of the RHF Science Center.

After this ride we're going to shift to going on Thursday nights to avoid conflict and confusion with the other Tuesday night ride that has re-started again. More updates on that to follow but it will also help avoiding conflicts with TNR when the season starts again.

EDIT: We will be sticking with Tuesday nights for now. When TNR starts up we may add an additional Thursday ride for those missing out because of track.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHans
    • CommentTimeNov 18th 2012

11/20 Liticker's in OB
    The slightly cooler evening air will be welcome as you travel the three gradual peaks, crossing Point Loma, giving you a fantastic coastal view as we descend into Ocean Beach. Nobody is getting dropped as this isn't a race. We gather at the tops of all hills.
    Taking Harbor, Nimitz, Macaulay, Narragansett, then Bacon, over to Voltaire. Liticker's is a vegan (meat options) taco shop located in a liquor store. Strange, but remember, it's OB. A mellow ride back on the San Diego River Bikepath will bring us back toward the fountain.
    As always, chime in if the start time isn't working for you, and we can meet you along the way!
    • CommentAuthorsynthetic
    • CommentTimeNov 19th 2012

No, this tuesday, 11/20 Will be empire house - famous for sausage bread, and has vegan items. Flat ride through uni heights and hillcrest. The purpose of two wheel tuesday is to support businesses on the discount program. These businesses are promoting cycling, and paying for it, so lets thank them.

We can use more businesses in the program, especially OB, so if you want to pitch the program to them, please do.
    • CommentAuthorVeloCafé
    • CommentTimeNov 19th 2012

We can do Empire House next week. Tuesday rides weren't solely meant for the discount providers. It helps to try and bring others in.
    VeloCafé:Just about every night we'll go to a SDBC discount provider but we'll save one Tuesday night a month as a wild card to bike to a local biz and try to get them to join in on the discount program.
    Hans & I started making the plans for Tuesday and just hadn't gotten around to posting them up yet. I'll take the blame for the poor communication and lack of planning - it's something we all have to work on together. There's no need to be confronting or trolling about any of this. Ride your bike, have fun, and smile.
    • CommentAuthorVeloCafé
    • CommentTimeNov 23rd 2012 edited

Hans will be taking the reigns for this Tuesday's (11/27) ride again and routing the group to Empire House in Hillcrest. As a bonus you get a discount here just for riding your bike. Come on out for some good exercise, good eats, and a good time with great folks. I'll make the start but will have to peel off for a meeting. Hope to catch up with you all afterwards if you're still out and about. Here they come sykkelspruce - heads up!
    •  
      CommentAuthorHans
    • CommentTimeNov 23rd 2012

Exercise it what it's about. A six mile route will take us on the path less traveled. Taking a long downhill path past a beautiful topiary garden, then up a short climb (as much as 28% at one spot),then back up into Mission Hills. Through a graveyard that the city turned into a park, we'll end up at Empire House. We'll be grouping up at the top of any climbs, and as always, nobody gets dropped but everyone gets exercise.
    • CommentAuthorsynthetic
    • CommentTimeNov 27th 2012

Hans, what time will you arrive at empire house?
    •  
      CommentAuthorHans
    • CommentTimeNov 28th 2012

synthetic:Hans, what time will you arrive at empire house?
    Oops! Glad we met before the ride and had everything squared away with EmpireHouse. They were great, as always. 13 of us took up the rear area of the patio.

Next week's ride takes us on a relatively flat, mellow ride to The Station Tavern, for those who would like to join in.
    http://www.facebook.com/events/427364200652218/
    • CommentAuthorVeloCafé
    • CommentTimeDec 4th 2012

Happening Tomorrow: Come out and enjoy cycling as a social and viable means of transportation and exercise in a fun group setting. Tonight's ride will be very mellow and flat so please bring out the kids and families. We'll be rolling out about 6:15 and taking a very mellow, mostly flat, route winding up at Station Tavern in South Park.
    • CommentAuthorsynthetic
    • CommentTimeDec 4th 2012

man i wont be able to go to station tavern (Love that place) but might be there for start
    •  
      CommentAuthormarkphilips
    • CommentTimeDec 5th 2012 edited

So glad I showed up tonight. The ride was mellow and had a very social feel. Good to see several forum members. Counted up to 25 riders, then few more met us at the Station Tavern. Good times.
    • CommentAuthorVeloCafé
    • CommentTimeDec 6th 2012

Thinking of a nice longer ride this Tuesday (the 11th) down to the South Bay area. Does anyone have recommendations for a place they'd like to go to for eats while down there before returning to the park?
    How about that Mexican restaurant in National city with the calendar waitresses. Hans would know.
    • CommentAuthorVeloCafé
    • CommentTimeDec 6th 2012

Karina's? I think that was the one. Hans??
    The best fish-nets in town?
    •  
      CommentAuthorHans
    • CommentTimeDec 7th 2012 edited

Although they have a location in Chula Vista that I have yet to try, I've taken the group to Karina's in National City (Highland/16th-ish). Guaranteed fresh seafood, family owned, local success story. Not bike friendly (they want to be more than "just friends") They LOVE bicycles an fitness. I see a couple of the waitresses at the gym occasionally.
    I have a fun route to get there if that's what the group decides.
    Another place I like is Zorba's Greek Buffet. Good variety of entrees, but the real treat is the Belly dancing and klezmer music on Friday/Saturday nights (Broadway, north end of Chula Vista). Cool, family restaurant.

Granted, still these aren't SoBay, more of a mid-bay, 8-10 miles away.
    Maybe add a tour of the lights to help with the seasonal mood.

Taken from: Christmas Lights San Diego
    Chula Vista - Chula Vista is the county's second largest city and Candy Cane Lane is one of the shortest streets in the County that used to carry the most Christmas punch. We know that many people still search for Candy Cane Lane in Chula Vista, but we must advise you that it no longer exists. We have learned from local sources that the traffic back-ups caused by the enormous popularity of this main attraction led to its downfall. Some of the residents still turn on their house lights but Candy Cane Lane is not what it used to be.

However, there is a silver lining to this story. Chula Vista's answer to Candy Cane Lane is now Christmas Circle which is worth a look-see. Christmas Circle is located on Whitney Street and Mankato Street. These two streets form a loop which provides for easy viewing. The area is located between First and Second Avenue off H Street. The easiest access is off of I-5.
    So the ride tonite will be going to Memelas in Chula Vista. See the Tuesday Night Social Ride FB page
    http://memelas.com/memelasMobile/#contact
    •  
      CommentAuthormarkphilips
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2012 edited

Good ride and good company last night. Despite over-eating delicious Thai-Mexican infusion cusine 10-13 urban cyclists took rolling hills of Euclid to Market. Crisp night, few flats, great people, good laughs. Definitely need to go back there sometime soon to try out a new dish.

Velo Cafe

21 hours ago via iOS

So this place focuses on Central American cuisine with a twist of Thai infusion. I never would've believed a portobello taco with yellow curry sauce would be so good!!! — at Memelas & Thai Bistro.

• CommentAuthorjacobk
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2012

Sounds like a cool place! Unfortunately, we were running late last night and couldn't make it. We will hopefully be there next week though!
    • CommentAuthorVeloCafé
    • CommentTimeDec 18th 2012

We go rain or shine but the rain may alter our plans slightly. Looks like we won't need to worry about that anyway as it's clearing up quite well from downtown. See everyone around 6 for a holiday lights tour around town winding up at the Tasty Truck Tuesday gathering in Normal Heights. If weather does become an issue we'll go to Blind Lady instead. Hope to try and leave by 615 but if you're running not too late shoot me a text or post to the facebook page and we'll wait for awhile or meet you on the way.
    • CommentAuthorVeloCafé
    • CommentTimeDec 18th 2012

Cliche ugly Xmas sweater optional =)
    • CommentAuthorVeloCafé
    • CommentTimeDec 25th 2012

We ARE still riding tonight so hope to see y'all by the fountain for a 615ish roll out. No set route or destination, we'll play it by ear depending who all shows up.
    • CommentAuthorVeloCafé
    • CommentTimeJan 1st 2013

Start those NYRs off right with a fun group bike ride around town tonight leaving the fountain around 6:15. Then break your NYRs when we pile into The Crest Cafe for some good ole noshing!
    •  
      CommentAuthorHans
    • CommentTimeJan 8th 2013

Same ol' story. Meet at the fountain for a 6:15 departure. Bring some coffee and show up early!
    We'll be heading out for yet another culinary adventure. Our route will take us DOWN the recently re-striped Texas Street to the bike path that follows the north shore of the San Diego River. Taking the Midway exit, we'll ride as a tight group (lots of blinky lights) for a half mile of SUV heaven to Fairouz Cafe & Gallery (3166 Midway). A family run restaurant featuring Lebanese and Greek delights.
    Vegans, Veggies, and Carnivores will love the selections while being surrounded by original artwork before heading back to the fountain via Bottlecraft, for a carb load to pump you up the gradual climb to the park.
    Hat, gloves, tube repair kits, and lights are recommended as this isn't a sweat breaker, but this ain't Tahiti either.
    -See you at the fountain!
    •  
      CommentAuthorHans
    • CommentTimeJan 15th 2013

After a foiled attempt over the holidays, Tasty Truck Tuesday is our destination this week. "Baby, It's cold outside" seems to be the latest forecasts, so we'll be taking a route to make your insides feel warm. Some hills may be on the route, but we're a group, right? Nobody gets ditched, and it's all about enjoying be out together. My neighbor passed me the other day on Laurel. I was riding my bike and she was walking her dog. She made it up first, but still waited for me. No winner or judgement, just friends laughing.

If the start is a little early for your schedule, or you don't feel like Tour de Upas, an option is to meet us there. It's across the street from Blind Lady Alehouse, 34thish and Adams Ave.
    • CommentAuthorVeloCafé
    • CommentTimeJan 15th 2013

Hope to catch up with you guys after the NP Planning Committee to fill ya in one juicy good bike news!
    •  
      CommentAuthorHans
    • CommentTimeJan 29th 2013

We've been talking about this for two weeks now, so tonight we'll be riding the Bayshore Bikeway around the harbor, and up the silver strand to Coronado. Stopping for a bite to eat before riding the ferry back to San Diego and the fountain. For those who want to put some miles on their bike without any big hills or traffic, this is the ride for you. A large portion of the route is on a dedicated bike/pedestrian path. With the moon rising around 8 tonight, the reflection of the moon and skyline should be amazing on the short ferry ride home. We've talked about going to the Brewery, but if anyone has any suggestions for a more vegetarian option that's available, we're more than happy to entertain the idea!
    •  
      CommentAuthorHans
    • CommentTimeFeb 4th 2013

I just got back from "Cuco's" to get a guarantee/confirmation that although there are new owners, "Sabrosito" will indeed have the Tacos Nopales that we have enjoyed in the past, as well as buck-fiddy fishies. The roads get a little hillier in that neck o' the woods, but we group up at the crests, so nobody gets abandoned. Leaving the fountain at 6:15 and heading to 54th/Redwood http://www.facebook.com/TuesdaySocialRide
    • CommentAuthorVeloCafé
    • CommentTimeFeb 10th 2013

Rally comrades!! This Tuesday, in our usual way, we'll dispel the capitalist system of big oil companies and ride our bikes like true rebel communist. We will honor Mother Russia hosting of the winter Olympics one year from now by feasting on authentic Russian & Georgian food at Pomegranate. Call it the Tuesday Night Social(ist) ride!

Yeah, it's Mardi Gras but not everyone is over 21 so trying to keep it all inclusive. There'll be plenty of time after to pretend you're in New Orleans. Mardi Gras attire is certainly welcome and encouraged to add to the party.
    Just saying that tonight Tuesday Social is going to Mitch's Seafood in Pt. Loma. See the FB event for more info.
    • CommentAuthorVeloCafé
    • CommentTimeApr 1st 2013 edited

Well, tomorrow is the last Tuesday before Tuesday Night Racing kicks off at the Velodrome next week. Many if not all of us will either be racing or spectating so these social rides will be fewer and farer between. We started this after many of you asked for one and we will do more eventually but there's no competing with the Velodrome on Tuesday nights =)

We'll continue to organize and promote other rides on different dates and times via the Facebook page & under Upcoming Events on here.

So with this being our quasi-seasonal end we'll ride from the fountain up to Cabrillo where we'll hopefully be treated to a great sunset. We'll roll back down and feast at Ranchos Cocina in Ocean Beach. A vegan and vegetarian favorite that (from what I hear) has great food for the carnivores also. We'll try to leave from the fountain no later than 6:15! Hope to see y'all there.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHans
    • CommentTimeApr 7th 2013

Leaving the Big fountain in Balboa Park at 6:15, as usual.
    This week we'll be catching a few races at the nearby Velodrome (also in Balboa Park/Morley Field), celebrating the beginning of the Tuesday Night race season. A short distance ride this week will take us on the Tour de Upas. Some hills are involved, but as always, we wait and regroup at the top of every hill. Nobody gets left behind, as this is about exercise and testing your own personal limits.
    After getting dinner at Veg-n-Out (Lefty's Pizza is next door, if so inclined) we'll be making a brief stop to pick up "recovery drinks" to enjoy while we watch the sunset at the bicycle races.
    *If you've never been to the Velodrome, it's a banked, oval track. You can stand track-side, or sit in the bleachers. Races end around 8:30, so it won't be too a late night!
    •  
      CommentAuthorHans
    • CommentTimeApr 13th 2013

Meet at the fountain for a 6:15 departure, or chime in to meet us along the way. As usual we try to keep a brisk pace, but nobody gets dropped.
    We'll be heading out again for yet another culinary adventure to Fairouz Cafe. Our route will take us through Hillcrest, down Bachman, and to the bike path that follows the north and south shores of the San Diego River through Mission Valley. Taking the Midway exit, we'll ride as a tight group (lots of blinky lights) for a half mile of SUV heaven to Fairouz Cafe & Gallery. A family run restaurant featuring Lebanese and Greek delights.
    Vegans, Veggies, and Carnivores will love the selections while being surrounded by original artwork before returning back to the starting point in the park. 12mi to dinner, 15mi total
    Tube repair kits, and lights are recommended as we will be returning after sunset
    -See you at the fountain, along the route below, or at Fairouz Restaurant & Gallery.
    http://goo.gl/maps/Yi25E
    •  
      CommentAuthorHans
    • CommentTimeApr 23rd 2013

4-23-13 The big fountain in Balboa Park (Bea Evenson) 6:00

Don't let the distance intimidate you. The route is predominantly flat, and will take us along a little known and utilized bike path, up to a wonderful outdoor dining area with $2 margaritas & tacos, as well as a fire pit. We've done this ride a few times in the past and it's always been a hit. Can't make it on time? No worries... meet us along the way, or meet us there for the return ride.
    Our route! http://goo.gl/maps/JI2A8
    • CommentAuthorsynthetic
    • CommentTimeApr 27th 2013

2 wheel tuesday page is removed?

was wondering if we can go to the new sbikecommuter.com discount locations, bull's bbq off west morena blvd
    •  
      CommentAuthorHans
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2013

synthetic:2 wheel tuesday page is removed?

was wondering if we can go to the new sbikecommuter.com discount locations, bull's bbq off west morena blvd
    Removed from where? We've been riding on Tuesday dinner rides for about 3 years. Last time was um... last Tuesday. This week we're going to 30th on 30th, if you want to join us.
    • CommentAuthorjacobk
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2013

Sounds like he was just having trouble finding it on facebook under the old name. The name has changed to "Tuesday Night Social Ride":

http://www.facebook.com/TuesdaySocialRide
    •  
      CommentAuthorHans
    • CommentTimeApr 30th 2013

Here’s the program in general: on the 30th of each month, a bunch of restaurants and bars on and near 30th Street offer specials, such as a feature appetizer for $3. This makes it easy for you to go on a restaurant crawl and check out all the amazing places on the 30th Street Corridor. Most places start their specials between 5 and 6pm. So come on out and join us! Kind of leaning toward U31 and their taco specials, however Ritual, Sabuku Sushi, the Poor House, etc. all have tempting options. We'll take a circuitous route to get there (see map), to discover new areas that often get overlooked in our daily travels. Nobody gets dropped, as we regroup at the crest of any grades. Chime in if you would like to meet us along the way. Otherwise, see you at the fountain around 6!
    Here's our route= http://goo.gl/maps/prndx
    •  
      CommentAuthorHans
    • CommentTimeMay 7th 2013

With a 30% chance of rain this morning and clearing after work, the air will be nice and fresh for a 20mi round trip to Mr.Tacos in National City.Here is this week's route http://goo.gl/maps/wwzTb if you cant meet us at 6, but can meet us along the way. As always, nobody gets dropped. So come and discover new biking territory. Even if it sprinkles, it's a nice ride. Departing at 6:00pm from the Bea Evenson Fountain in Balboa Park