Not signed in (Sign In)
    • CommentAuthorysa
    • CommentTimeOct 23rd 2012

Howdy,

I've got a vintage steel frame and components that I'd like to have built up. I'm seeking recommendations for shops/mechanics that you've had good (or not so good) experiences with building up vintage frames.

I'm also looking for a good wheelbuilder to put together a wheelset for this ride. Any personal experience would be appreciated. I'm new to this game and don't completely trust myself to recognize warning signs of places that I should avoid.

Thanks!
    YSA
    •  
      CommentAuthorsvelocity
    • CommentTimeOct 23rd 2012

Stu is great. Also recommend either Taylor or Zac at Mission Hill Bikes. I have a couple of wheelsets (one built by each) and they are holding up great with zero adjustments after 1000 miles.
    • CommentAuthorJSnook
    • CommentTimeOct 24th 2012

Anthony at Adams Ave bikes is one of the better wheel builders in town. He has amazing attention to detail and has built a lot of wheels. He'll roll with whatever build you want, or recommend options if you're looking for suggestions. You could get your build done there too - I have seen a lot of steel bikes built there over the years - there's not much to building a bike unless you know of some specific issue with yours, so I would go with whatever bike shop is close and you'll happily frequent later for service.
    • CommentAuthorysa
    • CommentTimeOct 25th 2012

Thanks for the suggestions. I wasn't sure if there were any special peculiarities to building up a steel bike. If this is something that any shop mechanic can do well, I will head to my LBS and have it done there.