Not signed in (Sign In)
    •  
      CommentAuthorHans
    • CommentTimeNov 5th 2012

Continuing a San Diego tradition, we have a leisurely paced ride where the participants are encouraged to dress in classic tweed or any smart looking outfit. Any effort made to recreate the spirit of a bygone era is also appreciated. Any and all bicycles are acceptable, yet vintage "steel/wool" is praised.
    Search words Tweed Ride for ideas and photo's of past events.
    We have a number of people working to make this bigger and better every year. Invite your friends, and feel free to make suggestions. Details will be posted as soon as we have them "nailed-down" -Thanks!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd

Super awesome, Hans.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPacMUle

this is gonna be so much fun!
    •  
      CommentAuthorGeoff

One week too early for me, sorry to say. I don't get back until the 13th. Everyone else have fun. This is easily the best group ride I've done in SD.
    •  
      CommentAuthorjacobk
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2012

Bump! For anyone that hasn't been following the facebook event, it looks like the ride is planned to start from Ward Canyon Park (at Adams and 40th). From Hans:

Ward Canyon Park supplies us with restrooms, plenty of parking, easy access from the freeway, a bus stop, tables, shade trees, and a playground for the little kids. Plan on meeting at noonish, for a one o'clock ride.

Facebook event for rsvp'ing: http://www.facebook.com/events/276395212463321/
    •  
      CommentAuthorHans
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2012

Thanks for the bump! The planning is going great. A little problem with getting the fliers out, but I just got back in town and tying up the loose ends. We have a number of bike shops and local merchants on board this year, promising to make this a larger event than ever. We have just received confirmation of the entertainment. Acme Piano Restoration put up a challenge. If I could sign Greg Watson ( http://www.lajollalight.com/2009/04/01/legendary-pianist-to-lend-talent-to-event/ ) to play ragtime for me, he'd throw in a turn-of the-century piano for him play on. I'm excited, and hope you'll enjoy it as well. If you have relatives who appreciate the era, yet no longer ride bikes, invite them along. Greg will be playing from noon until 3ish. More than just bikes, it's about building community.

So many thanks go out to Mission Hills Bike for their generous donation to be raffled off at the Tweed, and Blind Lady Alehouse for having it on display until Sunday's event.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeDec 5th 2012

What time is the actual ride scheduled to start?
    •  
      CommentAuthorHans
    • CommentTimeDec 6th 2012

Sigurd:What time is the actual ride scheduled to start?
    The ride should start sometime shortly after 1:00. Meeting at noon for socializing, etc. with music starting at that time. I'm really not in such a hurry to roll and leave Greg after an hour. He's that good, and am honored that he's playing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHans
    • CommentTimeDec 6th 2012

Still waiting for final commitments from additional sponsors/participants, this year will prove to be another memorable event. A number of bike shops, taverns, etc. have all shown support. Looking forward to seeing everyone out at the park.
    • CommentAuthorSam
    • CommentTimeDec 7th 2012

Hans is the man!!! He invited the mayor to join in on Sunday. I believe the new mayor can play the piano too. Maybe we can witness a little piano duet between Greg Watson and Mayor Filner???
    •  
      CommentAuthorHans
    • CommentTimeDec 8th 2012 edited

Todd Gloria's office called me to let me know that he's booked already, but is looking forward to next year, and I haven't heard back from Bob Filner (although Hanukkah starts today at sunset, so it may be understandably inconvenient for him).
    On another note... Kevin, over at Dang Brothers wood-fire Pizza confirmed that they'll be there after the ride, for those who aren't packing a picnic in their basket!
    We will miss Tweed this year. Have fun everybody.
    • CommentAuthorSmorg
    • CommentTimeDec 9th 2012 edited

I'm afraid I don't have any tweed or vintage clothing in my closet. It was still fun attending Tweed Ride, tho. :o) Nice to meet everyone and thanks Hans for organizing it!

IMG_4247

Uploaded more photos at Flickr. Feel free to grab if you see yourself in them. :o)
    dead link to FLIKR is fixed.
    • CommentAuthorSam
    • CommentTimeDec 10th 2012

Thanks to Hans, Velocafe, SDAirBrush and others who helped make yesterday's ride such a fun event! It was so nice to see everyone out.

This is my favorite picture of the very Dapper Dustin.

What a great event the San Diego Tweed Ride 2012 turned out to be. The weather was perfect and Ward Park was a great meeting spot that was able to handle the large turnout. There were lots of very fashionably attired ladies and gentlemen whom I thought went the extra mile to "get their tweed on". As well as being well dressed, they all seemed to have really nice bikes that fit right in with the theme. It was great to see old faces, new faces and to get reacquainted with many of the local bicyclist here in San Diego.

Dang Brothers Wood-Fired Fire Truck Pizza. Say that three time fast!

Greg Watson serenaded the gathering on the gorgeous upright piano provided by Acme Piano Restoration.
    He was really terrific and added so much to the ambiance of the day.

There were at least four of five Penny Farthings to be seen and ridden.
    They added that "old-time" feel and a lot of fun to gathering.
    Hey Mike, can you do a "wheelie" for us?

Hans is to be congratulated and thanked for organizing and leading this year's Tweed Ride.
    I'm sure there were many others who contributed and served in the background, as noted by Sam above,
    and to them many thanks as well for a super day of riding bicycles in sunny San Diego.

There are lots of photos posted on the Urban Bike & Social Club Meetup page.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPacMUle

did anyone get an official count? had to be at least a few hundred or more!
    • CommentAuthorSam

PacMUle:did anyone get an official count? had to be at least a few hundred or more!

"Turbo" Bob said he counted 126.
    •  
      CommentAuthormarkphilips
    • CommentTimeDec 10th 2012 edited

Some photos From Turbo Bob and Steven Shultz on FB

•  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult

Looks like it was a success. 125ish has been about the count 3 strait years now.

All that blue sky and sunlight looks nice.
    • CommentAuthorSmorg

Loving all the photos and videos posted. That sure was a cool ride! :oD

well i finally joined SD commuter.
    what great pics you guys took of me!
    The Tweed ride made the San Diego Reader today
    Is there going to be a set date for this in the future? I.e. The first or second Sunday in December of each year?
    How about a bi-annual Tweed ride in the future?
    I always thought that since we do an annual Tweed Ride in the cooler winter holiday season, we could leverage the preparations by participating in the seasonal parades around town. Not only "get our tweed on" for the one ride, but do it multiple times for things like the Mother Goose Parade, OB Tree Lighting parade, Encinitas seasonal parade, North Park Holiday parade, Poinsettia Bowl parade, San Diego Big Bay Balloon parade, (even the St Paddy's Day parade in March would look good in tweed) etc. etc. It's the cool time of year and so wearing wool & tweed is not too hot and we could clearly represent bicycling to the different communities as a fun and joyful activity. Hell, with a little ambition and a little effort, we could roll the Rose Bowl Parade! Ha! (Man's gotta dream.)

The bikes are usually already adorned with seasonal motifs and everyone has their tweed outfits ready to go. We could just put out an open invite to get folks to show up for different parades. There could be a representative coordinator for each event to get applications in and know the limit of riders in each parade. It would be a great way to promote bicycle riding and we could provide talking points to the announcers in each parade to reinforce the message of bikes belong. It might be a way to coordinate with the business districts to promote the bikes local/shop local theme.

In the hotter months, maybe a "Hawaiian Shirt / flip-flops" parade through the cooler beachy parts of town. No more Adams Avenue 100 (degree) scorchers. I'm still dizzy from that one.

Just sayin'

OKB
    •  
      CommentAuthorHans
    • CommentTimeDec 14th 2012

I've stated this to many people and on many forums over the years, but here it goes again...

"I personally would not like to see the Tweed diluted by having it more than once a year. Just my thoughts. Valentines Day is also once a year, but feel free to express your love to another person throughout the year. Buy him/her flowers, or wear tweed, for no other reason than it feels good. There are other ideas for annual celebrations out there (I have more than one in mind). Define it, embrace it, develop it, and promote it."
    • CommentAuthorStephan
    • CommentTimeDec 15th 2012

I agree with Hans.

Hans:I've stated this to many people and on many forums over the years, but here it goes again...

"I personally would not like to see the Tweed diluted by having it more than once a year. Just my thoughts. Valentines Day is also once a year, but feel free to express your love to another person throughout the year. Buy him/her flowers, or wear tweed, for no other reason than it feels good. There are other ideas for annual celebrations out there (I have more than one in mind). Define it, embrace it, develop it, and promote it."
    Isn't everyday a Tweed Ride for you, S?
    Hans:Todd Gloria's office called me to let me know that he's booked already, but is looking forward to next year, and I haven't heard back from Bob Filner (although Hanukkah starts today at sunset, so it may be understandably inconvenient for him).
    On another note... Kevin, over at Dang Brothers wood-fire Pizza confirmed that they'll be there after the ride, for those who aren't packing a picnic in their basket!