Not signed in (Sign In)
    • CommentAuthorgavilan
    • CommentTimeDec 19th 2012 edited

Anyone aware of this organization?
    World Bicycle Relief

I have been following the Fat Cyclist for a while now (Fatty's page). He has been posting a lot about this particular topic and all the prices he's offering for people who will contribute but in general it just seems like a great cause: donating money to make bicycles available to people who need them in Africa. It has some very specific things that I like -they make some sort of "contract" for the bike recipient and the way they choose who will get a bike is very thoughtful. They are also putting a lot of money now for training mechanics and getting them tools and spares, and the bike itself looks pretty well designed.
    If anyone feels inclined to donate, I believe this is the last week that Fatty will be raising money for this, this year, and that whoever donates will be included in the contests for the pretty amazing prices he managed to put together (with only five dollars each ticket!).
    •  
      CommentAuthorKathy
    • CommentTimeDec 19th 2012

I think this is an awesome organization. I especially like their focus on giving bicycles to women. At the Women's Bike Summit they talked about how girls and women have long distances to cover to get to school, which takes a lot of time and leaves them vulnerable to assault. This makes it difficult for many girls to continue their educations. A bicycle allows them to stay in school, which is a key to empowering them, their families, and their communities. :)
    • CommentAuthorgavilan
    • CommentTimeDec 20th 2012

Yes, I really really like the way they choose who gets a bike.
    I was a bit reticent about donating after reading so much about how "giving stuff" to people sometimes is not helpful -and as a matter of fact is counter-productive for the most part since it doesn't help people become self-sufficient (the particular case I read of is noted on the top of this list: Bad aid ideas). But, as you say, Kathy, a bicycle is a means to staying in school, getting faster from one place to another, for those people that are community workers or as you point out for girls to avoid being assaulted, etc etc etc

There's other bike-related projects that I think are super cool and that I would like to get involved in -one that comes to mind is the one where they modify bicycles to make them stationary and generate power to: use a blender, a washer, etc etc While there are arguments about how efficient this is, the truth is that for regions where there is no reliable electricity (or no electricity, period) this would be great.

Anyways... I think these are good causes with good tools (bicycles!). :)
    • CommentAuthorSam
    • CommentTimeDec 20th 2012 edited

I've donated to WBR in the past.

I also donate through microlending orgs like Kiva to individuals who will use the bicycle in their life or business. My specific focus is on women owned and operated businesses.

Usually though, I just stay local and I donate to causes run by people I know. We have enough problems in San Diego. And the world's problems are far too vast for my tiny little brain to comprehend.

As far as how far the aid goes and so forth, Tales from the Hood set the tone on how I think about giving. It is also a great source documenting all the trials and tribulations about humanitarian aid work.
    • CommentAuthorgavilan

Sam:
    I also donate through microlending orgs like Kiva to individuals who will use the bicycle in their life or business. My specific focus is on women owned and operated businesses.

I like that concept too!

I'll check the Tales from the Hood. It is an interesting thought, eh? How help can not be very much help after all.
    • CommentAuthorgavilan

Edited my first post since my point was to ask about the organization and mention my thoughts about it, and about Fatty's offer of prices if anyone donates to his cause.
    The rest of the original post was not needed. ;)