Not signed in (Sign In)
    •  
      CommentAuthorShapps
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd 2013

I'm about to head to Dallas for a few weeks for a work trip. I'm looking at picking up a used bike while I was there to ride around. Anyone have any experience shipping a bike? Wondering if it is worth the cost to send whatever I pick up back home to SD. The CL in Dallas actually has some decent bikes for way cheaper than you can find them in SD.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbatmick
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd 2013

Check with your airline. Sending it as extra baggage may be an alternative to shipping. Price varies greatly from airline to airline as do size regulations. But this way the bike will arrive with you (usually).

Check in a bike store for a shipping box. Most will give them away for free.

I have shipped bikes before by FedEx and UPS but it can be pricey if your package exceeds certain dimensions. And you have the hassle of finding packing material etc.. But in terms of safety I would not worry if you do a good job with the packing.
    Shapps--Check out "Just Sayin'" Dec 3-4 2012 for a discussion on bike shipping.
    • CommentAuthorJSnook
    • CommentTimeFeb 4th 2013

You can probably find a bike shop in Dallas that would pack and ship the bike for you, which given that you'll be on the road could be easier.

I've shipped bikes a lot and what works for me is to get two bike boxes from a bike shop. I keep one box intact, and cut one side out of the other to make a "divider" that fits into the intact box. I then remove the wheels, seat & post, and bars/stem depending on stem type, and using several zip ties I fasten the frame and various bits to one side of the divider piece. It helps to put some piece of plastic as a backing so the zip tie doesn't just cut through the cardboard divider. Drop the divider you just made with your new frame and bits attached to it into the box. Drop the wheels in on the other side of the divider (with tires deflated and skewers removed) and any little parts can go into a big zip-loc bag you tape to the inside of the box somewhere.

The most important things:
    - Use FedEx - typically it doesn't cost any more than UPS but they will treat your parcel much better in my experience
    - Tie/fasten/secure everything in the box as best you can.

Cost was about $40 for a ground shipment from CO to CA last time I did this, but it's been a few years. I prefer to ship than fly with my bike, as air travel is enough of a PITA without having to deal with a large box, but that said I have also flown with bikes many times and it can be cost competitive with shipping depending on the airline.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHans
    • CommentTimeFeb 7th 2013

Depending on the extent of your riding, consider hitting up the West Dallas Bicycle Co-op.
    http://thebicyclegarden.org/?page_id=26
    I usually travel with my folding bike, but when I want the comfort of a full size bike or hit some trails, i usually hit up bike kitchens or co-ops. Usually I give them their asking price, then they give me my money back,-$50, when I return it to them. Helps me, helps them, no risk, since I've paid for the bike if anything should happen. Another option is to buy a "transportation special" and just donate it back to them or a student in need.
    • CommentAuthorjacobk
    • CommentTimeFeb 7th 2013

Hans:I usually travel with my folding bike, but when I want the comfort of a full size bike or hit some trails, i usually hit up bike kitchens or co-ops. Usually I give them their asking price, then they give me my money back,-$50, when I return it to them. Helps me, helps them, no risk, since I've paid for the bike if anything should happen.

Great idea!