Not signed in (Sign In)
    • CommentAuthorslomaro3.4
    • CommentTimeFeb 6th 2013 edited

So as some of you may or may not remember, last Summer I was in the SD for an internship that as luck would have it turned out pretty well. So I'm going to moving out to SD for a full-time position after graduation in May. I'd like to be ~10-12 miles from the Sorrento Valley but might be open to suggestions. Anyone have an opinion on where I should live?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSmorg
    • CommentTimeFeb 6th 2013

Any particular requirement? Are you planning on commuting by bike? What sort of neighborhood are you looking for and what sort of rent can you afford?
    Sorry probably should have included that! I will be commuting by bike for sure (I did it this past summer and it was great, although I may pick up a bike I'm not afraid to lock up somewhere to compliment my race bike) looking to stay around $1600/month for a 2 bedroom.
    For that price, anywhere in (and around) this blue-border area should suit you ok. Depending on how much you want to ride and your other non-work activities, you can live in a neighborhood called UTC (near the UTC mall area) and take this route to work by mountain bike...or alternatively this route by road bike. These areas are all pretty nice and safe neighborhoods. Carmel Valley (north of Sorrento Valley) is more residential and a little richer. Mira Mesa (east of SV) is a mix of residential, shopping, and eats, and more working class. UTC is more college kids and shopping.
    • CommentAuthormfutch

If you are willing to ride your bike to the Coaster that opens up a much larger swath of territory. Where did you live during your internship? Did you like it? Did you explore other neighborhoods?
    •  
      CommentAuthorbatmick

We moved here 14 years ago and have lived in UTC, then Carmel Valley and now in Encinitas. I work up on Torrey pines and bike commute almost every day.

There's a reason we moved up North. UTC is a student and work/sleep neigborhood and with some minor exceptions rather sterile and boring. Also very car centric.

Carmel Valley, at least the older parts, are nice but you deal with a lot of the "Del Mar Barbie" types there which got on our nerves after a while.It is conveniently located, however, and has some affordable and decent housing to offer while still being close to the ocean.

Encinitas simply has everything we were looking for. Shopping, nature, decent commute including a coaster station and, most importantly, people tend to be much more down to earth and friendly there than in any of the other areas we lived before. But keep in mind that we are not city people. We do not need culture or bars and night life nor do we enjoy large crowds. That is why we never ventured South of La Jolla and still only rarely go there. If that's more your cup of tea, there are plenty of people who do the commute from there, some of them on here so you'll hear their 2 Cents soon, I bet.
    • CommentAuthorPetteri

I work in Sorrento Valley and commute by bike a couple of times a week by bike so have some actual expertise here, with a long list of stereotypes and prejudices mixed in. :)

I considered University City briefly because it would be closer, but couldn't get over the spread of big roads, condo complexes and malls. No real neighborhood feel at all. Mira Mesa is sketchy at places and there doesn't seem to be that much going on, but would be close. If you work for the Big Q there's even Wateridge which is walking distance, but there's absolutely nothing going on in the area nights and weekends, or any shopping, much in terms of restaurants, etc.

La Jolla is nice but unless you want to go cougar-hunting you may want to wait a few decades. ;)

Pacific Beach might be worth looking into. Parts look like frat party city but I believe if you go out a few blocks things quiet down.

Like many others here I like the whole uptown mesa from Hillcrest through University Heights to North Park and beyond. Actual life within walking distance or a short bike ride away, a variety of different sorts of houses and small condos, good beer pretty much everywhere. The downside is the commute to Sorrento Valley is a bit long.

I live in Hillcrest (borderline Mission Hills) and ride through Old Town, up by Mission Bay, up the Rose Canyon bike path, through University City, down the I-5 and up from the valley, usually avoiding Lusk Boulevard. Something like this except Google now insists on routing you on the offroad path down from Eastgate Mall. There are a couple of slighly gnarly intersections but overall it's not a bad commute by SD standards.

It's a bit long, but you can easily take the Coaster from Old Town to Sorrento Valley to cut about ten miles of riding - I often do that if I'm joining the Tuesday social ride afterwards for example.

As you go further inland the route up Kearny Villa Road (east of Miramar) starts becoming shorter but I haven't done that myself.

Alternatively a lot of my colleagues live up in north county, but they tend to have kids and need to worry about schools and such.

You'll want to figure out your priorities - do you want craft beer and hipstery coffee shops (North Park), beaches and parties (PB), a short commute with quiet live (Carmel Valley) or something else?

That was a bit long. :) Chime in with any specifics.
    This topic reminds me of a good neighborhood summary someone else posted a while ago. Here you go. A picture is worth a 1000 words.
    • CommentAuthorMatt W

An important question is who you are going to be working for in Sorrento Valley. I work for General Atomics, and we have a limited access road that runs from Genesee down to Sorrento Valley Road. The only other direct way to do this is to ride down the interstate (I-5) -- one of the few places it's allowed because there's no other direct option.

I commuted from Normal Heights to Sorrento Valley by bike for a couple years, until I had to start picking up kids from daycare. I almost always mixed public transit into the commute. The 960 bus runs express from the Mid-Town neighborhoods along the 15 (Normal Heights, Kensington, City Heights) to UTC, and from there, it's a fairly quick ride down to Sorrento Valley, or you can catch commuter busses which will drop you right at the Coaster station. As others have pointed out, you can easily bike to Old Town (or downtown) and catch the Coaster to Sorrento as well -- the train is a very comfortable ride. The Coaster, however, operates on a limited time-table and getting out of SV in the middle of the day can be tricky. Anyway, if you have a route that runs between UTC and your work, you're set for anywhere in Mid-Town (which is the area south of I-8 and north of the 94 , stretching from I-5 on the west to about I-15 or so on the east; includes North and South Park, Normal Heights, University Heights, parts of CIty Heights, Kensington, Hillcrest, Mission Hills, Golden Hill.)

I live in City Heights now, but I'll give a plug for Normal Heights. The Adams corridor is, in my opinion, the most walkable and enjoyable area of the city. There are 9 nice drinking establishments between 30th and 35th on Adams, a world class 24-hour coffee hangout (and a Starbucks), many various restaurants (including many vegan/vegetarian options), the best ice cream store in the city, the best pizza in the city, one of the best beer places in the city (BLAH!), a supermarket, a post office, a bike shop (Cal Coast), and a bunch more. If you do have to drive somewhere, freeway access is quick and abundant. You can't lose with 92116.
    • CommentAuthorSerge2
    • CommentTimeFeb 6th 2013 edited

<blockquote><cite> Petteri:</cite> La Jolla is nice but unless you want to go cougar-hunting you may want to wait a few decades. ;) Pacific Beach might be worth looking into. Parts look like frat party city but I believe if you go out a few blocks things quiet down. </blockquote> You're in San Diego. Might as well be within a short bike ride or even a walk of the beach... otherwise, what's the point? The nightlife in La Jolla is definitely dead, but it's not that far from PB, where I assume things are still lively at night (it's been a while for me...). People imagine that La Jolla is far more expensive, but the premium per square foot even compared to Mira Mesa is much less than most realize. There are 7 places on Craigslist right now that claim to be in La Jolla, are 2BR, and 1700 or under. Here's one that looks pretty cool, for 1500.
    [[_linker_]]
    The back of that place is the La Jolla bike path!
    [[_linker_]]
    Wow, a bunch to read, ok some more details, I lived in Mira Mesa over the summer, it was a hike to PB by cab, but at the same time I didn't really mind that, it kept me from pouring all of my money down the throats of college girls. And I'll be making enough that the weekly cab ride down to PB or Gaslamp isn't a huge issue. I will in fact be working for the big Q so I can shower there in the morning or whatever, and I do ride for my schools team so I should be in fairly good cycling shape when I get out there. Thanks for all of the suggestions and keep them coming if you have anymore!
    • CommentAuthorysa
    • CommentTimeFeb 7th 2013

Check out Birdrock between La Jolla and PB. A nice distance to Sorrento Valley with several options for biking to work.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeFeb 7th 2013 edited

Assuming here you are young - and better yet, single - locate to Pacific Beach: Plenty of housing for new arrivals, close to the beach, easy to meet people.

Get a CX bike: Riding up and down Gilman, the Roselle-Eastgate utility trail, and the final climb up to the Q will keep you in shape. 12 miles one way (or ride over La Jolla Shores-UCSD [16 miles] for some variation).
    • CommentAuthorsd_mike
    • CommentTimeFeb 8th 2013

I recommend a CX bike as well. I love that trail from Roselle.
    Hmm...I was thinking about buying a new road bike with part of my signing bonus...might change that to a CX if I end up living in that area.
    • CommentAuthorPetteri
    • CommentTimeFeb 9th 2013 edited

... and I never take the trail but just use the I-5 instead. Whatever works for you I guess. There's no need to worry about the I-5 segment - it's much easier than Mission Bay Dr around Grand and Garnet for example - but if you like going a little offroad why not!

CX bikes can work very well for commuting though - add a rack, a little wider tires and maybe fenders, and you have a very comfortable commuting setup and don't have to carry a backpack either.
    • CommentTimeFeb 10th 2013

^^you just ride on the shoulder of I-5?
    • CommentAuthorShady John

Yes, between Genesee and Sorrento Valley, bikes are allowed on the shoulder because there's no other way through there. It's not fun but I feel safer there than on many surface streets. Actually, it is kind of fun when the traffic is really backed up on I-5 southbound and you can pass people in cars even when you're going only 9 or 10 mph.

http://app.strava.com/segments/731373
    http://app.strava.com/segments/1085345
    • CommentAuthorSerge2

I bike commuted between La Jolla and Sorrento Valley for about a year a couple of years ago.

I-5 northbound is all downhill and you can easily hit 40 mph on that decent, so the speed differential with freeway traffic is not that great. The shoulder on the onramp from Genesee is crappy, so I usually control the lane until I get to the part where the shoulder is good, then take that.

As to southbound... what Shady said.

The dirt path takes significantly longer, at least for me. With extra time, I'd rather use it extending the ride, like via Carmel Valley Rd and the Torrey Pines climb. When the trail is muddy it can be miserable.
    • CommentAuthorPetteri
    • CommentTimeFeb 11th 2013

Yep. The shoulders are mostly pretty good and wide except for the first part of northbound exit from Genesee. I usually stay in the lane as well until I can see around the bend and the shoulder widens, and then move to the shoulder. Only once there's been an idiot in an SUV trying to pass other cars on the shoulder blocking the way - a good excuse to switch the light to strobe mode...

Southbound is usually fine, the only trickier bit is getting on the eastbound side of the exit since cars may be coming behind you at a high speed and won't be expecting a bike. I just wait to make sure there's a long enough gap and haven't had any issues. Other than that passing four to five lanes of cars on the freeway is kind of fun. :) (and yes the traffic really is that bad)
    • CommentTimeJun 10th 2013

Alright, so an update for those who are interested, I made the move out here! and ended up in UTC more or less on Genessee, I've gone northbound on the 5 a couple of times not and will be heading southbound tonight at around 6. I ate it during a race in early Feb so my left knee is just getting back to where it needs to be, basically I'm embarrassingly slow and out of shape right now(my 6 mile ride to work this morning had me gassed)...hopefully that will change, but the hills out here are killers. We are paying 1580/month for a 2ba/2br with a little back yard and covered parking, I couldn't be happier with it. Hopefully once I'm back in game mode I'll see some of you all around riding!
    • CommentAuthorSerge2

Welcome to San Diego! To expedite your recovery, please consider riding with SDBC (San Diego Bicycle Club) on Saturday mornings. Meet at 8:30 at UC Cyclery in La Jolla Village Square right down the road from where you live.

There is a ride for every level/condition. Sounds like even in your shape you'd be fine on the D3 ride, which caters to cyclists new to group riding or at least new to SDBC rides. In the unlikely event that's too fast, you can drop back to the D4s. Membership not required. It's a blast.

Yeah, I'll have to see, I stretched out my ride home to about 10 miles. I may try to work in with the Dev 3/4 group, I'd say I'm completely healed, the fitness level just isn't there yet. I was planning on doing intervals/laps down at Fiesta Island on friday morning too. I miss being in shape haha.
    • CommentAuthorSerge2
    • CommentTimeJun 11th 2013

The muscle memory is there. It'll come back fast.

Serge2:The muscle memory is there. It'll come back fast.

I hope so. I was also really interested in checking out the velodrome since I've always wanted to try riding track. Does anyone on here have any experience with that?
    •  
      CommentAuthorHans

slomaro3.4:...I was also really interested in checking out the velodrome since I've always wanted to try riding track. Does anyone on here have any experience with that?
    They're full service here. A thread that suits everyone! A number of people ride, and work, the track.
    http://sdbikecommuter.com/forums/comments.php?DiscussionID=588&page=1#Item_19

Hans:
    slomaro3.4:...I was also really interested in checking out the velodrome since I've always wanted to try riding track. Does anyone on here have any experience with that?
    They're full service here. A thread that suits everyone! A number of people ride, and work, the track.
    http://sdbikecommuter.com/forums/comments.php?DiscussionID=588&page=1#Item_19

Thanks! I just emailed Pam and am in the process of registering for Monday night classes!
    •  
      CommentAuthorGeoff
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2013

Anyone have an opinion about the Normal Heights area between the 805 and 15? I've only ever biked along Adams Ave., so don't know much about the neighborhood on either side of Adams.
    • CommentAuthormfutch
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2013

North of Adams seems to be consistently nicer, but south of Adams has nice blocks too-mine being one of them (34th north of meade). We love it there. My landlord remembers more sketchy stuff that would make it's way up from el cajon blvd back in the day (ladies of the night, break-ins, etc), but in the past two years of living there haven't had a single negative incident (that didn't involve possums or skunks).
    • CommentAuthorJgrody
    • CommentTimeAug 31st 2013

We just moved into a little house on 39th and meade, its a nice neighborhood and We ride down meade to get pretty much everywhere. Its quiet, but a ton of stray cats that like to crap in our garden.