Not signed in (Sign In)
    • CommentAuthorSam
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th 2013 edited

Website. First one is on 8/18/2013 from 10 am - 4pm. Tom Landre's Birthday.
    • CommentAuthorVeloCafé
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th 2013

I'm supposed to be in NY that week starting Sunday. This about sums up my initial reaction. So happy to see this coming to reality!
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill

Nice work Sam and everyone else who made this happen.
    •  
      CommentAuthorGeoff

Absolutely fantastic news. Catchy name. I'm sure it's going to be a great event. 30th St. has been a great bike and people-focused corridor. Can't wait until they start planning routes through downtown, Hillcrest, and Balboa Park.
    One of the best news ever. Thank you.
    • CommentAuthorVeloCafé
    • CommentTimeApr 22nd 2013

Date was quietly changed to August 11th without much press. Spread the word and mark your calendars to make sure you don't miss this!
    FB invite here.

CicloSDias Minis are itty bitty car-free events leading up to the big CicloSDias event on August 11th, 2013.

See here for more: http://www.ciclosdias.org/

CicloSDias is modeled on car-free events that started way back in the 1970s in Bogotá, Colombia called Ciclovía. San Diego finally has its own Ciclovia and its called CicloSDias.

The first mini CicloSDias will be held on May 19 along the Marston Point Loop in Balboa Park. This is along Balboa Drive in Balboa Park. See map here: http://goo.gl/maps/J2eOz

Let's fill the place up with people and show the powers that be that we'd like more public spaces (please).

Pack a meal, a few books, lounge chairs, your frisbee, babies (borrow if you need to), your yoga mat, and let's all enjoy a bit of respite in the park.

Walk, ride, skateboard, take the bus, or hop over on your pogo stick. Let's try to get 5,000 people to show up on May 19th.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSmorg
    • CommentTimeMay 19th 2013

Had fun hanging around mini CicloSDias for a couple of hours today. Really enjoyed meeting a few other SDbikecommuters for the first and second time on the loop! :o)
    IMG_9242 IMG_9244
    IMG_9246 IMG_9261
    Stephan:If you are coming to this CicloSDias mini, consider riding into Mission Hills to take advantage of the discounts available during the Mission Hills Bike Local Sunday. Details here.
    • CommentAuthorHMeins
    • CommentTimeJun 13th 2013

May 19 was the final stage of the Tour of California in Santa Rosa. This Sunday is Fathers' Day. Hopefully I'll be able to make the next one. When is it?
    markphilips:
    Stephan:If you are coming to this CicloSDias mini, consider riding into Mission Hills to take advantage of the discounts available during the Mission Hills Bike Local Sunday. Details here.

Click HERE to see more details.
    • CommentAuthorSam
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2013

CicloSDias!CicloSDias!CicloSDias!CicloSDias!CicloSDias!CicloSDias!CicloSDias!CicloSDias!CicloSDias!CicloSDias!CicloSDias!CicloSDias!CicloSDias!CicloSDias!CicloSDias!

In a month (+ 1 day)
    • CommentAuthorStephan
    • CommentTimeJul 11th 2013

On July 21, the next CicloSDias mini and Bike Local Sunday will be in Golden Hill. Meet at Thomas Bike Shop at 11:00 AM for a social ride around South Park & Golden Hill. The neighborhood tour will wind through the most prized areas of Golden Hill and South Park, tour CicloSDias San Diego Mini in Golden Hill Park and stop at several local businesses along the way.

In partnership with the San Diego Business Improvement District Council, local companies are expected to offer specials and wheel-deals on Sunday for those who bike.

• CommentAuthorJayKay
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd 2013

crowdfunding effort for the event...only a few weeks away

http://fundly.com/ciclosdias
    •  
      CommentAuthorHans
    • CommentTimeAug 8th 2013

Although I'll be out of town this weekend, I thought I'd pass this letter along...

This Sunday's North County Cycle Club (NCCC) ride will start at Kit Carson Park at 8am and head down to the event. Many options for return, including the full 81 mi route and Coaster/Sprinter options. See http://www.northcountycycleclub.com/smf/index.php?topic=1479.0, describing things a bit more, including a link to the RideWithGPS route map. Note that this is an NCCC club ride, but if other clubs are doing something similar I thought I would share the route. If you want to join us, the more the merrier.

Since this is a bit of a different kind of ride, it will be interesting to see what kind of turnout we get. I know some of our regular Sunday crew who just want to ride Sundays for training probably will not come.

Karl Rudnick
    North County Cycle Club (NCCC)

p.s. Thanks to Jim Baross for route suggestions from Qualcomm up to Kensington. I've test-ridden it and it's great and safe, avoiding the Montezuma / Fairmount cross-over conflicts.
    • CommentAuthorSam
    • CommentTimeAug 9th 2013

I don't feel like looking at some guy's backside in an effort to learn about ciclovias. So here is a better photo from LA.

CicloSDias is this Sunday.
    • CommentAuthorVeloCafé
    • CommentTimeAug 9th 2013

I'm sure most of you have already read this article about watermelons & bicycles before.

So, on Sunday we're having a watermelon haul contest. Whoever brings the most watermelons to the BikeSD booth (30th & Upas) by bicycle in a single trip wins a gift certificate to Sea Rocket Bistro. Oh, and 11AM is the cutoff time so break out the bakfiets!

We'll put the watermelons to good use serving them up for people who pass by throughout the day.

If you're on Twitter or Facebook be sure to use the #watermelonhaul. We'll compile as many pictures as possible and send a nice piece back to the UT and the articles author.

See y'all Sunday!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeAug 11th 2013

Had some fun with the Velomobile.

https://www.strava.com/rides/73971440
    CicloSDias is good for local businesses.

San Diego's first OPEN STREET event called CicloSDias brought many people and families with kids walking, jogging, skating, and bike riding. So many local businesses had more customers than usual which is good. This photo shows about 20 bicycles in the spaces of two parking spots for motor vehicles that otherwise have one driver per vehicle. Which do you think is better for business?

Saw the green velomobile drive through the Upas Street Hub. Wanted to say hello but he was making time headed west and no way to catch him. Looked like a lady friend was flying wingman.

Beautiful day in San Diego, sunny but not too hot. There were tons of bicyclist and pedestrians all having a great time. It was really fun to see so many young children having a great time. Talked with many people I didn't know and shared the camaraderie of open streets and a vibrant community.

Talked to many people I did know and everyone was having a really good time with 'lots-o-positive energy". A very well done event for a first time try at this CicloSDias thing. Thank you all who worked so long and hard to make this happen. A very well done bicycling event in San Diego!

Below are some images from parts of the event. I didn't take photos everywhere but tried to get some at hubs and such.

Upas Street Hub

There were lots of people here, getting information, water, watermelon, playing games. It was a major hub with some good tunes playing from nearby.

A bike stand and complimentary bike adjustments from a friendly technician. I filled up my tires and it helped.
    Lots of small children and adults learned to fill their tires today!

It was good to see Chip and Gabriela. They served up some great refreshing watermelon.

Sam was doing a great job as usual, serving watermelon and good information in equal measure.

Grape Street Hub

You can see how vibrant the street scene was. Good large sidewalk space, shade trees and street furniture allows for a nice community gathering and helps to support the local restaurants.

Just hanging out under the iconic landmark, watching the world pass by at a pedestrian pace. It gives people time to chat and make small talk. What a nice way to let time roll by and soak up the sun and scene on a sunny Sunday afternoon. It was a happening for sure.

Alchemy

A lot of the morning volunteers found their way to Alchemy for some good eats and cold refreshing beverages once their shift was over.

Tons of bikes, a pug and a BoB Trailer full of watermelons. I'm liking this whole watermelon theme! I had my share, that's for sure.

Hamilton's

Another local business that was happy to serve the bicycling community. Ha!

That's it for now. A really great day in San Diego. To all the organizers (SD County Bicycling Coalition - Andy Hanshaw, et. al.), volunteers and the community that came out to support and represent, well done and thank you very much!

OKB

• CommentAuthorShady John

Thanks OKB for the writeup--It was a great inaugural event. I think future versions could be even better with a couple of changes.

1) At 10 AM I saw a number of cars being towed from the route. Yes, people in the area should have known that the street would be closed today,but it is incredibly harsh to have your car towed away--several hundred dollars and a huge pain in the rear to retrieve your car. And this is not a particularly wealthy part of town. There has to be a better way--just leave the cars on the route, put orange cones around them, something better than towing. Towing does not engender good will among the general public. Likewise, I also witnessed at least one driver trapped in an alley, with the course attendant telling him that he couldn't leave his alley. I don't think this is acceptable either.

2) I think the traffic signals should have been allowed to function normally, without having people manually guide traffic at intersections. If we ever get bicycle boulevards, we will have to fit into the existing traffic scheme. And I think there is more chance for a serious accident with the manual traffic control--people are used to lights, but the instructions from the traffic attendants aren't always crystal clear.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill

I was riding the green velomobile. Got covered by the local TV news (end of the segment):

http://www.cbs8.com/story/23105669/thousands-participate-in-ciclosdias-biking-event

Lots of fun.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSmorg

:D

Good points, John. I guess the thing with manually guided traffic at intersection is to prevent cars from crossing street from turning onto the closed street. I had the southbound 30th St at Market during much of the afternoon. Gotta say, the cars were mostly very good. A few tried to turn onto northbound 30th, but got directed away by the traffic cops. Four or 5 cars somehow popped up coming southbound on 30th, tho (I guess they were already inside the closed off zone and were trying to escape), and we had to move the barrier to let them out. Most bikers were wonderful, though a handful younger ones on fixies tried to jump the signal and sneak through among the barriers (rather than on the main lanes) when we were letting cars cross (not smart... if anything. :oP).

The first pair of traffic cops working there was great, then they went on break and the new pair took a while to get the cues down (he'd call 'close it' or 'open it up' and a lot of time didn't say what was supposed to get closed off; bikes or cars. When in doubt we closed the bikes, tho... Safer that way :oD). But once they got it down they were very good as well; all prioritizing cycling traffic and were encouraging the riders (especially ones struggling up the hill). :o)
    •  
      CommentAuthormarkphilips
    • CommentTimeAug 12th 2013 edited

My rig. Thanks Mike for this awesome photo

photo credit: sdairbrush
    • CommentAuthorVeloCafé
    • CommentTimeAug 12th 2013

Some of my favorite pics of the day. I got two little breaks where I got to ride to the north and east hubs and then to go south. I ride virtually everyday so I had no qualms working and seeing everyone else smiling and enjoying riding a bicycle for what it can be.

That's not a water bottle. THIS is a water bottle.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Mom used to tell me "why don't you just go play in the middle of the street! OK, no that I ever did anything to make her say that.

Über volunteer Tyler and über pink dude.

Hey North Park!

Hey South Park!

Our watermelon haul winner.

Contributing to the 32 watermelons we sliced up and served all day. Eat your hearts out Syd Mead & Jan Goldsmith.

Last but not least ... Whatever your excuse is, it's invalid:

• CommentAuthoreaton
    • CommentTimeAug 13th 2013

Hans:Although I'll be out of town this weekend, I thought I'd pass this letter along...

This Sunday's North County Cycle Club (NCCC) ride will start at Kit Carson Park at 8am and head down to the event. Many options for return, including the full 81 mi route and Coaster/Sprinter options. See http://www.northcountycycleclub.com/smf/index.php?topic=1479.0, describing things a bit more, including a link to the RideWithGPS route map. Note that this is an NCCC club ride, but if other clubs are doing something similar I thought I would share the route. If you want to join us, the more the merrier.

Since this is a bit of a different kind of ride, it will be interesting to see what kind of turnout we get. I know some of our regular Sunday crew who just want to ride Sundays for training probably will not come.

Karl Rudnick
    North County Cycle Club (NCCC)

p.s. Thanks to Jim Baross for route suggestions from Qualcomm up to Kensington. I've test-ridden it and it's great and safe, avoiding the Montezuma / Fairmount cross-over conflicts.
    I'm a regular on the NC3 Sunday ride but didn't want to drive to the start in Escondido so I rode the Coaster to downtown. I started at 30th and K then found the group near the northern most hub. We rode back to 30th and K then came back and exited at, I think, Upas to head back north.

I've never been to an event like this and it was pretty cool. Because we had a long ways to ride, we couldn't linger. I think I'll take my commuting bike next time and spend the whole day.

A picture of our group is on bikesd.org. I'm the one in the front on the right.
    • CommentAuthorJayKay
    • CommentTimeMar 7th 2014

Excited for the next CicloSDias!

However, Little disappointed that the mileage is now only 2.5 miles. (looks like the crown point portion has been removed)

Anyone know why the route was altered ?

(original map from CicloSDias FB page: http://goo.gl/maps/mbSA4 )
    • CommentAuthorHMeins
    • CommentTimeMar 8th 2014

Filner's gone and with him the money.
    2.5 Miles is a good start for PB. The SFO Mission District Sunday street is about two miles and has become one big outdoor celebration - carfree.
    • CommentAuthorHMeins
    • CommentTimeMar 9th 2014

We're going to be begging for crumbs from the Faulconer regime: "Sanders III." I recommend taking what we can get. Like good Germans, we shouldn't complain.
    • CommentAuthorPetteri
    • CommentTimeMar 9th 2014

Any chance we could limit party politics to a subset of the threads?

I agree the route is a bit short, but on the other hand it should make for a more lively feel with a higher density of people and more random encounters Parts of the first CicloSDias were just through residential streets with nothing going on by themselves. Yes, I'd like more closed streets, but if I have to choose I'd take a shorter route with businesses and places to go as opposed to a longer one with just streets to ride through.
    • CommentAuthorbossvoss
    • CommentTimeMar 11th 2014

Please consider providing a donation to the crowd-sourcing campaign. Every bit helps to ensure this 2nd edition of CicloSDias is successful and that we can have them more often (and with potentially longer routes) in the future.
    • CommentAuthorHMeins
    • CommentTimeMar 11th 2014

I've donated.

This has nothing to do with "party politics." This has everything to do with corporate co-optation and control of the system, of both "parties." Perhaps we could establish a subset dedicated to "revolutionary insurrection."
    Peaceful or otherwise, this is what it will take to throw off the yoke of our corporate masters. There is a place between passive resistance and violent insurrection. I'll meet you there.

What do you plan to do during the Worldwide Wave of Action beginning with the 56th anniversary of the assassination of Martin Luther King at 18:01 on April 4, 1968?

Recommended reading: "The Dandelion Insurrection: Love and Revolution," by Rivera Sun, and "The Essays of the Man From the North" (www.risingsundancetheater.com).

There are regularly scheduled telephone conferences to discuss ideas.

See also www.dandelionsalad.com
    •  
      CommentAuthorHans
    • CommentTimeMar 13th 2014

Petteri:I agree the route is a bit short, but on the other hand it should make for a more lively feel with a higher density of people and more random encounters Parts of the first CicloSDias were just through residential streets with nothing going on by themselves. Yes, I'd like more closed streets, but if I have to choose I'd take a shorter route with businesses and places to go as opposed to a longer one with just streets to ride through.

Very well put, and outlook. Just like nobody going out on an empty dance floor, I think the shorter route will be better in many ways. Consider the population density of Pacific Beach, and you will see that this route will impact possibly more people than the route east of the park, last year. When the movement hits it's point of critical mass, it can expand. Until then... help with time, money, and/or participation. Get the word out, and get a larger segment of our population out on bikes!
    • CommentAuthorT
    • CommentTimeOct 3rd 2014

SDCBC did a great data-report on the first CicloSDias event, August 11, 2013.

http://sdcbc.org/documents/cicloSDias%20full%20report%20FINAL%202_13_2014.pdf

Hopefully they will produce a report on the data from the #2 event in March 2014
    • CommentAuthorT
    • CommentTimeOct 26th 2014

• CommentAuthorT
    • CommentTimeNov 2nd 2014

Just to add some videos to the historical documentation of CicloSDias # 1 from August 11, 2013:

SDCBC 2013 fundraiser video to promote the event:

"Mini-CicloSDias" to get people warmed up to the idea / event:

And then quite a few excellent videos documented the main CiloSDias event from City Heights to Golden Hill: