Not signed in (Sign In)
    • CommentAuthorsynthetic
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2013

Plain and simple question. I am a software developer who moved to part time, now working at home. 10+ years and cant take this line of work any more, I need to move and be social with people. I ride maybe 3 times a day splitting up my daily 4 hours
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeApr 30th 2013

I'm a veteran of the video game industry. Over 30 years now. First game published in 1980.

Currently working at a iPhone game company.

In the early 1990's I was the VP of Activision. I left that in 1994 to come to San Diego and work on children's educational games.

The best thing about that? Eventually I was bike commuting from Cardiff to UTC almost every day. In 1999 I pulled some decent times (for my age group) at Fiesta Island.

We recently downsized, so I'm back to working virtually at coffee shops. Developers are on the Oregon Coast.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbatmick
    • CommentTimeApr 30th 2013

This will be interesting. I am curious to find out how so many of you get so much saddle time in. I envy you!

I am a scientist and study how the brain controls eye movements to figure out how behavior gets adapted to changing circumstances. All under the umbrella of "learning and memory".

Came to San Diego from Munich, Germany, where I did my thesis work. It was supposed to be just a few years as a post-doc but I sort of got stuck (not complaining). After short commutes from residences in the UTC area and in Carmel Valley we bought a house on the Encinitas/Carlsbad border and my ride now takes me all the way down the coast. Best commute in the world!
    Unfortunately the commute is pretty much the only chance I get for riding these days. Even the weekends rarely provide an opportunity for a long ride anymore.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSmorg
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd 2013

I trained as a biochemist, but have been working as a science/math textbook editor for the last few years. I work from home (the editing is done on the computer), so I make my own hours. The pay isn't all that good, but I get to shift my work hours around and go goof off on bike rides during the weekdays (love riding Palomar and other winding roads, but wouldn't go on weekends because of traffic). That makes up for it! :o)
    •  
      CommentAuthorKathy
    • CommentTimeMay 4th 2013

I work for the Air Pollution Control District in the programs that give money to people who own old dirty diesel engines so they can replace them with new clean ones. If you or someone you know anyone who has a tractor trailer, off-road construction equipment, a fishing boat, or maybe a locomotive, I'd like to talk to them and see if we can help them get some money. Some restrictions may apply...
    I mostly get to bike on the weekends these days, but try to fit in a commute every once in a while.
    • CommentAuthoreaton

Public works manager for beaches, a harbor, a pier and the surrounding infrastructure.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbilld

I'm a computer programmer. I have a degree in Mathematics-Computer Science from UCSD. I currently work on Java/JEE/Oracle high capacity, high availability OLTP applications.
    •  
      CommentAuthormarkphilips
    • CommentTimeMay 4th 2013 edited

The scientists and research associates I work with call me the "Robot Whisperer." Yeah, I fix robots used in biotech, clinical, and pharmaceutical applications.

I have been in the field of human-scale robotics and lab-automation for 15 years. I don't work with humanoids or artificial intelligence. I started working with articulated robotic arms similar to the ones at Legoland (or the goofy robotic-arms from Ironman) but scaled much smaller like a human arm that could lift 2 to 7 pounds. Nowadays, I work (play) with much smaller robots and other automated equipment. These are programmed and integrated to other scientific instruments to perform repetitive experiments or prepare samples.

I enjoy working remotely (from home) which gives me the flexibility to make more time with family and bike related activities. I try to fit in a short ride during the work week. I would like to ride more to work but it is a challenge to be able to bring tools, laptop, and parts to different locations. So you will see me post carrying gear on a multi-modal commute or when I make a short ride up Torrey Pines hill.
    • CommentAuthoramper
    • CommentTimeMay 6th 2013

I work for a bank.. and before everyone starts to groan, fortunately ours was too conservative to participate in the subprime greedfest. I started as an intern some years back with a background in process engineering in bank operations and steadily grew into a business information analyst over time. About two months ago, I jumped at the opportunity to move from my hour-plus traffice-laden commute from the IE to Brea/Monterey Park to 15 minutes by car.

Now i'm currently a reporting/systems support analyst for consumer lending operations and I've been chomping at the bit to take advantage of the year round beautiful weather and exercise that bike commuting will allow.
    • CommentAuthorSam
    • CommentTimeMay 7th 2013

I read the bewildering array of documents that SANDAG, the City, the County, the State, various advocacy groups, individuals, politicians put out and try to make sense of it all.

I also plot ways to make San Diego a world class bicycling city. Mostly over coffee. Occasionally over hop infused H2O.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeMay 15th 2013

ASE certified Automtive and Heavy Diesel mmechanic
    and CHPcertified Tow truck operator

I can drive just about anything and fix it too
    • CommentAuthorT
    • CommentTimeOct 28th 2014

Aquatic Scientist at an environmental consulting firm. Everything related to the ocean and harbors: the fish in the water, the chemistry of the water. the worms in the mud, the pollutants in the mud. Where the mud is going to go when it is dredged, the stormwater that runs into the harbor during rain events, scientific meters and instruments, permits and dealing with the 'environmental police' that are the regulators (Regional Water Quality Control Board, Army Corps of Engineers, Environmental Protection Agency). It's interesting stuff, and I get to drive a boat often!
    • CommentAuthorsd_mike
    • CommentTimeOct 29th 2014

DMV Motor Vehicle Representative... as of November 3. I'll be handing driver licensing and vehicle registrations at the Clairemont field office.