Not signed in (Sign In)
    • CommentAuthorSZK
    • CommentTimeMay 8th 2013

Hi everyone,

I'll be moving to SD in June to do a three month intensive course at UCSD extension and living in Poway. I don't want to have to buy a car until at least the fall. The course is at 6256 Greenwich Dr. I think I can get a ride in the mornings from Poway to either Mira Mesa Blvd to catch the 921 to La Jolla Village Drive or to Black Mountain Road to catch the 31 to UTC transit center. I was thinking of biking the rest of the way.

First of all, I've seen that only 2 bikes are allowed per bus. Do the spots fill up? Do the bikes get damaged? Do I have to be hypervigilant that no one takes off with my bike? Is one bus better than the other as regards space for bikes?

And secondly, is it uphill to the course location in the mornings (Genessee to Governor)? I would like to dress nicely for the course, although I would be willing to change clothes for the ride home. I would imagine there will be no access to showers.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    • CommentAuthoramper

i can't really say for the bus system down here, but genessee to governor has a decent valley that runs across a busy onramp/offramp at the 52. it's quite a dip and i live right off of that intersection (radcliffe ln).
    •  
      CommentAuthorbilld

I've never had my bike damaged by the bike racks on the bus. I don't do it often. I've done it maybe a few dozen times since the 80's.

The racks do fill sometimes. This can be particularly frustrating on infrequently running routes. Since you are getting a ride to Mira Mesa, you should get on at the route's origin which should give you an excellent chance of getting a spot. I recommend keeping an eye on your bike from inside the bus just in case.

Genesee south to Governor is a fairly steep hill. If you don't want to climb the hill by bike then you can transfer to the 41, 105 or 50 buses, all of which go from the UTC area on Genesee to Governor. I think that the 105 and 50 both go into UTC's transit center. 41 does not. It stops on Genesee in front of UTC.
    • CommentAuthorSZK
    • CommentTimeMay 9th 2013

Thanks for the information, it was really helpful!