Not signed in (Sign In)
    • CommentAuthorysa
    • CommentTimeMay 19th 2013

Can anyone point me to bike parking/racks at the SD Convention Center? I walked the area today and didn't see any obvious racks in plain sight. I asked a security guard who said that racks had been removed from the "A" area, but that there might still be racks over by "H". I couldn't see any with google street view, and the SD Convention Center website makes no mention that I could find of bike parking.
    •  
      CommentAuthorGeoff
    • CommentTimeMay 20th 2013

They indeed have the wave-style u-racks on the H Hall side. If you're looking at the satellite view on Google Maps, if you see the staircase leading to Park Blvd., they're against the wall just north of the bollards. There are also racks inside the Marriott and Hyatt parking garages, mostly used by the employees. I'm not sure how to get access to them, though, as they looked caged from the outside. There are also some on the back promenade, near the info center/ferry ticket booth.

I use the H Hall side racks during Comic Con (as do many others). I've never had a problem during those times, but not sure who keeps an eye on it the rest of the year.
    The northern most side of the Convention center has a bike rack behind and underneath the staircase. I am not sure you can see it on Google Street View.
    • CommentAuthorysa
    • CommentTimeMay 20th 2013 edited

Thanks for the suggestions.

I found the bike racks over on the H side near the Hilton this morning. It's a fairly public place with the occasional foot traffic from the Hilton, but it's not front and center. Despite two locks and security cams directly overhead, my beater bike got stolen. I left it out there from 9am to 10pm. Too long, I guess.

San Diego Convention Center
    •  
      CommentAuthorGeoff
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2013

Bloody hell. Sorry about your bike getting stolen. I guess that answers my question about whether those Tigr Locks are any good. Did you talk to the center staff about reviewing the camera footage? If not, do it soon. Many places wipe their storage drives within days.
    •  
      CommentAuthorShapps
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2013 edited

There are also bike lockers inside of the parking structure at 11th and Imperial trolley station. These are handled by the owner of the building and not MTS. I rented one for a couple weeks during comic-con a few years ago. If i remember correctly they ask for a 10 dollar deposit for the key and there is no monthly fees. You are not supposed to leave it empty for more than a week. If you just need something for a few days, probably not the way to go, but if you are going to be parking down there regularly or for a length of time it may be a good option.

I've used the racks pictured above during con with no issues (other than fighting for space) but have heard a few stories of people having their bikes stolen from there.
    •  
      CommentAuthorShapps

As a side note, the last 2 or 3 years of comic-con they have been cutting locks of bikes that have been locked to guard railings around the convention center. If it's locked somewhere they don't like they cut the lock and "tow?" the bike.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill

The biggest event there, with the worst parking, and they do nothing to encourage cycling to the event.

Amazing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorGeoff

Actually, it's neither the biggest event nor the most profitable. I'm not sure anyone has ever approached the organizers with this as an issue. Most people walk in from downtown, and they provide shuttles from area hotels, so biking doesn't have any particular reason to be emphasized. And as much griping goes towards their event organization, they ARE a non-profit and do what they can with what they have.

I have a friend who works for them part-time. If any bike groups want to volunteer bike valet services for Con, I can probably put them in touch. My email is in my profile, or whisper me here.
    • CommentAuthorysa
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2013 edited

At least this thread will be here for the next person who does a search for SD Convention Center bike parking. On my way in today I noticed this bike rack near lobby C that is in a much more visible area with more foot traffic and official SD Convention Center people walking by. If I was heading down there again by bike I'd try the racks outside of C.

edit: now that I'm taking a closer look at the C rack, it looks more like a crowd barrier then a bike rack. Not sure that it's a permanent feature.

Geoff, I'll try to talk to the convention center security office tomorrow about the video. Good info about the bike lockers at 11th, Shapps.

Convention Center