Not signed in (Sign In)
    WeHo Bike Share Launches This August
    Julia Wick Jul 15, 2016 laist.com

West Hollywood's bike share program will "soft launch" with four initial stations on August 9, almost exactly a month after the City of Los Angeles launched their own Metro bike share program.
    The bicycles will feature light-emitting diode (LED) headlights and taillights, and cargo baskets. To tackle steep climbs to Sunset Strip, the bicycles will feature eight gears. As “Smart Bikes,” all of the technology is located on the bikes, so they can also be locked to any public bike rack, increasing user flexibility and convenience.

The city of West Hollywood is already pretty bicycle friendly, with existing bike lanes on Santa Monica Boulevard, and planned bike lanes for Fairfax Avenue, Third Street, La Brea Avenue and Sunset Boulevard to come. There are also ample u-shaped racks for bicycle parking up and down Santa Monica Boulevard.

Mayor Gregor Robertson on a shared bike as The City and Vancouver Bike Share launches the first phase of the public bike share program. NICK PROCAYLO / PNG

Vancouver's new bike share program proves 'wheelie' popular
    Matt Robinson August 5, 2016 VancouverSun.com
    B.C.’s first public bike share program is just two weeks into its soft launch and already has drawn a heftier ridership than many expected — including those running the system.

Mia Kohout is the general manager of Vancouver Bike Share, a subsidiary of parent company CycleHop, which received $5 million from the city to run the system for five years. She said she was “totally blown away” by the number of members who have signed on to date.

Related Editorial: Bike share success depends on execution
    Vancouver Sun Editorial Board July 22, 2016
    Bike shop owners who feared a public sector bike-share program would cut into their tourist bike rental revenue can breathe a sigh of relief. And during the rest of the year, it can be assumed that bike sharing will slip into low gear as many cyclists are fair-weather riders, leaving the retail market to private businesses.

DecoBike plans to add more beach bike stations
    by DAVE SCHWAB July 22, 2016 sdnews.com
    Florida-based DecoBike signed a 10-year contract with the city of San Diego and spent $8 million setting up bike share infrastructure citywide. After more than a year of delays, DecoBike opened its first rental stations in January 2015.

During its first year of operations, DecoBike sold 102,641 rides and 697 memberships in San Diego, according to its annual report. Rides ranged from $5 for 30 minutes to a $125 annual membership.

By comparison, the bike share program Citi Bike in New York City sold almost 4 million rides and more than 85,000 memberships in the first three months after it opened in 2013.

.... Asked about rumors that DecoBike might be asking the city for a “bailout,” Pederson replied, “We have never asked for any such payment, nor do we intend to. Our agreement with the city is that we will privately fund the bike share program and they will allow us to install stations in the public right-of-way. They also allow us to install ad panels and sell ad space to offset the cost of running the system.”

"We are optimistic about the future of the program and we are looking forward to launching the next phase of installation," said Pederson.

San Diego does not pay for the bike share program, but instead allows DecoBike to set up rental kiosks on city property. The city gets $25,000 from the company in the first year, and then either a portion of the company’s sales or an annual payment of up to $175,000 – whichever is higher – for 10 years.
    Hot orange wheels: contemporaryrekindling of China’s cycling past
    By Anna Lu | August 15, 2016 shanghaidaily.com
    This summer, Mobike, a bicycle-sharing program, is sweeping Shanghai, with its iconic hot orange wheel hubs seen everywhere in the city.

The modest cost of 1 yuan (15 US cents)per half-hour rental and the ability to leave the bikes in many public areas made the program an immediate success, especially among young people.

“The Mobike is built on the simple concept of giving every urban dweller the option to make a short journey at an affordable price and with more convenience,” the company said of its service. “To that end, we chose bicycles, which make travel more eco-friendly and help reduce the number of cars on the roads.”

China, the world’s largest auto market, used to be a country of cyclists. For an ever-growing, congested metropolis like Shanghai, ditching four wheels for two seems like a natural choice of pragmatism over materialism.
    • CommentAuthorfjl307
    • CommentTimeAug 18th 2016 edited

Rivers of tears from the local bike rental shops in PB, who still can't seem to grasp the concept the service they provide is entirely different from bike share. Again they have absolutely zero proof but given the community support against DeciBike in the beach areas, it's an entirely uphill battle. Again these rental shops are just fishing for attention and sympathy.

http://sdnews.com/view/full_story/27251741/article-Locally-owned-bike-rental-shops-affected-by-DecoBike-?instance=most_popular1
    Barbara Bry shares her views on City Council run for District 1
    ‘I will hear all views and try to get everyone to reach consensus’
    By La Jolla Light Staff Aug. 24, 2016
    How will you handle issues where the community and City disagree, such as with DecoBike? The community unanimously objected to the kiosks, but the City may still proceed with their installation.

“When it comes to DecoBike, the community has some valid points. But the reason we want something like DecoBike is we want people to take bikes to reduce air pollution … and I know we have a lot of neighborhood bike shops that rent bikes, so what if there was an app that coordinated all the neighborhood bike shops, so you could rent a bike at one spot and return it at another?

With neighborhood bike shops, the bikes would be more customized depending on your size, and they can provide helmets, so why don’t we get the bike shops to join together in some way? Technology makes that very easy today, that could make everybody happy.

There are more ways to answer something than what people might see as the obvious. (In cases where constituents and the city disagree) my approach is to get everyone in the room and around the table, where hopefully, there would be some sort of workable solution. What I know about politics is that it is the art of the possible. Everyone usually makes a concession and every situation will be unique, but the way I operate is to hear every point of view and try and get everyone to come to a consensus.”
    • CommentAuthorfjl307
    • CommentTimeAug 27th 2016

With neighborhood bike shops, the bikes would be more customized depending on your size, and they can provide helmets, so why don’t we get the bike shops to join together in some way? Technology makes that very easy today, that could make everybody happy.

Which, if these bike shops would stop crying crocodile tears and focus on marketing and advertising they could push these types of advantages - pricing, human contact, helmets, different bike sizes, etc... This is of course assuming they're competent business people which most likely they are not. They're probably fortunate to have the rotating client base of tourists who are the only people keeping their business and the many crappy service businesses in PB and MB going.

They won't work with the city of DecoBike though, all they want to do is complain and moan and rile up a crowd who knows nothing about how bike share works or how it's supposed to help our tone down our car-dependent culture. DecoBIke is by no means perfect either but it's what we have.
    Is Cincy RedBike America’s Most Financially Successful Bike-Share System?
    By Randy A. Simes August 29, 2016 urbancincy.com
    Since launching nearly two years ago, RedBike has been embraced by the region in a way even the bike-share system’s early proponents had not imagined.

• CommentAuthorT
    • CommentTimeOct 24th 2016 edited

•  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeOct 27th 2016

Did Toronto Bike Share last weekend, decent bikes ... quite affordable:

Rode a rail trail:

Also around town:

• CommentAuthorT
    • CommentTimeDec 11th 2016

• CommentAuthorfjl307
    • CommentTimeDec 17th 2016

T:https://www.outsideonline.com/2136406/do-bike-share-systems-actually-work

Meh, Outside Magazine.
    • CommentAuthorT
    • CommentTimeJan 19th 2017

• CommentAuthorT
    • CommentTimeJan 19th 2017

•  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeJan 20th 2017

T:Sad to see Seattle's bikeshare is now dead:

http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/politics/mayor-ed-murray-kills-seattles-bike-share-program-pronto/

But maybe an electric bike version coming later in 2017 ?

http://mynorthwest.com/470637/seattle-bike-share-expected-to-change/

That's too bad. I have a relative (18 years old) moving there who does not have a drivers license. This would have helped them.
    • CommentAuthorT
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd 2017

Thread got pretty old ... curious how DecoBike is doing these days ... I think they re-did some of the logos / print material. It keeps rolling on! Hopefully the tourists are using it.

A friend came in town and stayed downtown. his hotel offered free cruisers

http://www.hotelzsandiego.com/hotel-amenities/bicycle-checkout-program.htm

i'm sure many hotels do the same downtown.
    • CommentAuthorallanorn
    • CommentTimeAug 19th 2017 edited

T:Thread got pretty old ... curious how DecoBike is doing these days ... I think they re-did some of the logos / print material. It keeps rolling on! Hopefully the tourists are using it.

Seems to be doing okay. Qualcomm is sponsoring the bikes now. On the weekends I see a lot of riders around the Boardwalk and Mission Bay, a few less downtown (mostly Harbor Drive). I did see a couple trying to get uphill on 5th once, and another couple speed down Pershing, but that's about all of the activity I've seen east of I-5 in a while.
    • CommentAuthorT
    • CommentTimeSep 1st 2017

T:San Fransisco's "Bay Area BikeShare" gets a shot of corporate sponsorship and expansion

http://www.bayareabikeshare.com/expansion

http://www.bayareabikeshare.com/faq#Expansion

https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/fna/us/en/news/2016/09/09/ford-partnering-with-global-cities-on-new-transportation--chario.html

the new "Ford GoBike" Launched last month August 2017 and is really ramping up fast in stations and bike counts!

https://www.fordgobike.com/
    • CommentAuthorT
    • CommentTimeSep 1st 2017

I used to keep track of the bike counts years ago but just tallied them up again from the map and updated this:

Some big new regions added in the last month so I figured i'd tally them up again:

Date # of Stations # of DB Bikes
    1/31/2015 20
    2/04/2015 46
    2/09/2015 58 272
    2/13/2015 68 323
    2/19/2015 60
    2/22/2015 46
    2/24/2015 70 375
    2/26/2015 71 401
    3/04/2015 71 546
    3/14/2015 71 516
    3/31/2015 71 516
    4/20/2015 71 547
    5/11/2015 71 500
    7/27/2015 77 508 (initial PB Boardwalk stations and mission bay east side introduced)
    8/25/2015 92 533 (7 stations in PB now, near ocean/boardwalk; 2 stations in OB, several stations added to the Liberty Station area in Point Loma).
    9/01/2017 92 (same as 2015) -- 574 (more than 2 years ago).

keep riding! seems they still don't have 1500 local members since the 'free helmet' offer is still up on the website. we'll see what 2018 brings!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeSep 2nd 2017 edited

T:(7 stations in PB now, near ocean/boardwalk; 2 stations in OB
    According to local chatter, DB is shuttering a large proportion (if not all) of their stations in PB and OB.
    • CommentAuthorallanorn
    • CommentTimeSep 2nd 2017 edited

Sigurd:
    According to local chatter, DB is shuttering a large proportion (if not all) of their stations in PB and OB.

Interesting. Assuming it's true I wonder if DB left voluntarily, or if they were pushed out. I see a few DB users around Mission Bay and PB when I'm in the area. I'll also be interested to see where they relocate those stations.

The local shops will call this a win but I'm not sure if they'll see a significant boost if DB leaves. Don't a lot of locals and vacation rentals have bikes already?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeSep 3rd 2017

allanorn:Interesting. Assuming it's true I wonder if DB left voluntarily, or if they were pushed out.
    They gave in to pressure from a hodge-podge band of local reactionaries.
    • CommentAuthorallanorn
    • CommentTimeSep 3rd 2017 edited

Sigurd:
    allanorn:Interesting. Assuming it's true I wonder if DB left voluntarily, or if they were pushed out.
    They gave in to pressure from a hodge-podge band of local reactionaries.

Not entirely surprised.

I like what Path Less Pedaled said about bike sharing: not only is it utilitarian, it's more time efficient for tourists. Instead of wasting time to find a bike shop that will rent, going to/from the bike shop, and having to deal with locking up and storing a bike while I'm renting it - I can go to a bike share station, ride off, and be done with the experience once I dock at a station.

Also, DB got me riding a bike again and buying bikes, so there's something for that too.

I'm not anti-LBS here; it's just that I prefer the more efficient system for the experience I want.
    • CommentAuthorT
    • CommentTimeSep 5th 2017

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/02/world/asia/china-beijing-dockless-bike-share.html?_r=0

As Bike-Sharing Brings Out Bad Manners, China Asks, What’s Wrong With Us?
    • CommentAuthorT

Sigurd:

Bummer. seems legit. And with LJ being so anti-DB for the last few years, and this chapter looking to close, it is really unlikely the coastal DBs will ever happen in LJ.

Just wanted to copy/paste the fb post for record-keeping:

============

DECOBIKE UPDATE September 1, 2017
    (edited for content)
    DecoBike is going to remove stations from beach areas and relocate them to urban areas to better fit with the climate action plan.
    The removal of the stations will begin on Tuesday, September 5 and conclude the week of September 11.

4198 Mission Bay Dr (Mission Bay Boat Ramp)
    1492 N Harbor Dr (W Ash St & N Harbor Dr)
    1899 N Harbor Dr (W Grape St and N Harbor Dr)
    4500 Ocean Blvd (PB Boardwalk)
    780 Thomas Ave (Thomas Ave & Mission Blvd)
    700 Grand Ave (PB Lifeguard Station)
    760 Pacific Beach Dr (P.B. Dr & Mission Blvd)
    1005 W Mission Bay Dr (Bonita Cove Park)
    1098 W Mission Bay Dr (Ventura Cove Park)
    Dana Landing Rd & W Mission Bay Dr
    5800 Newport Ave (Newport Ave & Abbott Ave)
    2100 Spray St (Spray St & Brighton Ave)
    2727 De Anza Rd (N Mission Bay Dr & De Anza Rd)
    2576 Laning Rd (USS Recruit, Liberty Station)
    1240 East Mission Bay Dr (Fiesta Island Park)
    • CommentAuthorT

And while San Diego shuns bike-share, Paris' bike-share turns 10 and is more successful than ever:

http://bike-sharing.blogspot.com/
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill

And Seattle has TWO competing non-station (GPS based) bike share systems.
    • CommentAuthorT
    • CommentTimeSep 5th 2017 edited

bikingbill:And Seattle has TWO competing non-station (GPS based) bike share systems.

wow really? I thought from our January 2017 discussions on this page the Seattle bike share was dead? what's been the developments / what filled its place?

I should have searched! While Pronto is now dead, "Spin" and "Limebike" are rolling on! Shame about that helmet mandate law...

https://www.geekwire.com/2017/testing-new-breed-bike-sharing-pitted-spin-vs-limebike-streets-seattle/

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2017/07/dockless-bike-sharing-lands-in-seattle-and-leads-us-down-unsavory-alleyways/

and of course Ofo is now on the ground as well: https://techcrunch.com/2017/08/16/ofo-comes-to-the-us-joining-the-bike-share-fray-in-seattle/ **of note is that Ofo was a guerrilla bike-share explosion onto the UCSD campus earlier this year and was pushed out by administrators: http://triton.news/2017/04/yellow-ofo-bikes-removed-campus-friday/
    Good chance to comment and support bike share in San Diego is tonight at the Bicycle Advisory Committee meeting.

City of San Diego Bicycle Advisory Committee Meeting
    Wednesday, September 6th, 2017
    6:30 PM to 8:30 PM
    AGENDA: Item #5.
    CITY STAFF/REGIONAL UPDATES
    Brian Genovese – Bike Share Update (Action)

Civic San Diego
    401 B Street, 4th Floor Conference Room
    San Diego, CA 92101
    MAP
    DecoBike to remove and relocate bike stations around San Diego
    Video Report By Abbie Alford, Reporter CBS8.com
    The City is getting ready to make some changes to its bike-sharing program. Starting Tuesday, the City will remove 15 DecoBike bike stations across the city. The City is removing DecoBike stations from P.B., Mission Beach, Ocean Beach boardwalk areas, Mission Bay and the Embarcadero.

In partnership with the City and its climate action plan, DecoBike rolled out in the fall of 2013 saying it invested $8-million, signed a 10-year-agreement with the City and eventually would launch 180 stations with 1800 bikes. They also planned to share revenues with the city.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeSep 6th 2017

Maybe we can get FORD to sponsor our Bike Share as well?
    • CommentAuthorallanorn
    • CommentTimeSep 8th 2017

^ Qualcomm is doing the current DB sponsorship.

Did anyone go to the BAC meeting on Wednesday? They were going to discuss bike sharing there. I was going to go but couldn't make it in time.
    • CommentAuthorfjl307
    • CommentTimeSep 9th 2017

Old Knotty Buoy:DecoBike to remove and relocate bike stations around San Diego
    Video Report By Abbie Alford, Reporter CBS8.com
    The City is getting ready to make some changes to its bike-sharing program. Starting Tuesday, the City will remove 15 DecoBike bike stations across the city. The City is removing DecoBike stations from P.B., Mission Beach, Ocean Beach boardwalk areas, Mission Bay and the Embarcadero.

In partnership with the City and its climate action plan, DecoBike rolled out in the fall of 2013 saying it invested $8-million, signed a 10-year-agreement with the City and eventually would launch 180 stations with 1800 bikes. They also planned to share revenues with the city.

I'm not surprised this happened.
    Between the misguided NIMBYism, and the few very vocal business owners who allege DB was eating into their businesses (even though the statement of one claims he was having business problems before the launch of DB to the area) Ignorance of bicyclist's rights (I'm honked or yelled at at at least once a week riding correctly and legally in PB) and ignorance of how public transit works contribute to the backlash too.

These groups probably see this as a victory even if their efforts did not contribute to the change.

Imperial Beach welcomes LimeBike tentatively
    "Who takes care of that situation, if they're blocking sidewalks?"
    Sheila Pell September 11, 2017 sandiegoreader.com
    As other beach areas shed their bikesharing stations, with 15 to be removed this week, Imperial Beach is paving ground for the new wave; dockless.

With LimeBike, the problem of where to put kiosks comes down to racks that are easier to move. Users will help decide the best locations as the city receives monthly data from the company showing where the bikes are congregating.

Another complaint about far-flung bikeshare companies is that they're competing against local bike shops. But no one at the meeting knew of any shops that might be harmed. The new bike shop at Bikeway Village doesn't do rentals, Dush said.

LimeBike is coming to a town without bike shops or rentals. "They're here first. I would want to make sure that if a bike shop does come in, they can't say, ‘Let's get rid of LimeBike because they're hurting our business.'"

This is a positive development. The Bike Share option for a transportation paradigm shift will have it's fits and starts. Let's not let the perfect be the enemy of the good. Keep on rolling! (I want to call these bikes 'green-flash cycles')

From LimeBike Blog:
    “Bikes have always been a part of Imperial Beach culture. As the first Southern California town to partner with LimeBike on a launch, Imperial Beach will offer locals and tourists more options for mobility along the beach and around town through dockless bike sharing. The bikeshare service is part of Imperial Beach’s mission to provide more accessible, affordable, and greener transportation alternatives to our community.”

Honorable Mayor Serge Dedina, Imperial Beach

===========

‘Dockless’ Bike Sharing Program Launches In Imperial Beach
    Andrew Bowen September 13, 2017 kpbs.org
    Dockless bike sharing company LimeBike officially launched in Imperial Beach on Tuesday, bringing the growing new technology to San Diego County.

The neon green bikes are equipped with GPS tracking and a lock on the back that users can open with a smartphone app. CEO Toby Sun said without the expense of maintaining docking stations, LimeBike can offer cyclists a cheaper way to rent a bike for shorter periods of time.

Rides start at $1 per half hour, with students getting a 50 percent discount and members of the Navy riding for free through October, Sun said.

LimeBike is already operating in seven other cities, including Seattle and Dallas, and eight college campuses. Sun said he is currently in talks to launch in Coronado and on the SDSU campus.

City to remove DecoBikes from coastal communities, cancels La Jolla plan

Ashley Mackin September 13, 2017 lajollalight.com
    Although the long-contested and loudly objected to bike-sharing program known as DecoBike never made it to La Jolla, residents can breathe a sigh of relief to know the City is removing DecoBike kiosks up and down the San Diego coastline, as part of a larger re-prioritization project. The City will now focus its bike-sharing efforts on San Diego’s “urban core.”

From the time proposed DecoBike kiosks in La Jolla were announced, community planning groups opposed them with near unanimity. San Diego communications officer Katie Keach said the decision to rearrange the DecoBike map was based on a variety of factors, “including complaints.”

Of the withdrawal, Greatrex told La Jolla Light, “I’m very pleased that the City heard us out and responded positively to our requests, which were that DecoBike target small gaps in the transportation network, a feat achieved by focusing on our urban core and its network of car-free transportation and cycling lanes. The City also responded favorably to our request that certain pre-existing coastal stations be relocated so as to best support that premise.”
    • CommentAuthorallanorn
    • CommentTimeSep 15th 2017

Old Knotty Buoy:
    City to remove DecoBikes from coastal communities, cancels La Jolla plan

I'm honestly surprised DB considered La Jolla to be a good place to put bike share. The geography's quite terrible, and I could envision a situation in which a bunch of bikes would be left at the bottom of the Cove. I don't delight in biking up to Prospect from the Cove the direct way, much less on a heavy three-speed.

Then again, I'll be interested to hear if the city has chosen to embrace DB more than the original "we want bike sharing as long as it's hands-off and doesn't cost us anything" policy. That's probably why DB tried to target the beaches, as they probably have the data to suggest that it would be more profitable there so they could subsidize the other bike sharing stations.
    Old bike-sharing company, new plan
    "We’re trying to get that first mile and last mile.”
    Marty Graham, October 28, 2017 sandiegoreader.com
    DecoBike is looking at a dozen places for stands in North Park, Uptown, downtown, and Golden Hill after getting kicked out of the beach areas by the California Coastal Commission, city engineer Brian Genovese said on October 26th.

“We did ask our transit partners at [Metropolitan Transit District] to weigh in on how they can be a better transit connection and they made suggestions we are looking at,” Genovese said.
    John Burnham, who owns the UPS store on Washington, said he is opposed to one of the new locations. “I vehemently oppose the location of DecoBike station 825 next to my store,” Burnham wrote. “I need to emphasize that it is being placed within the commercial loading zone I paid the city to create.”

Burnham’s store is one of seven sites that the Metro Community Development Corp. objected to, according to Leo Wilson, who serves on both the CDC board and the planning committee.
    The parking district is providing suggestions for alternative locations, according to Gerrie Trussel, who is the executive director of the Uptown Community Parking District.

“It’s really important that this is done with sensitivity and we think that’s possible,” Trussel said. At least one business owner indicated that the kiosk didn’t hurt business at all, even though they lost two parking spaces to install the kiosk.
    Ben Baltic, who owns a wine bar on Fourth Avenue, where a DecoBike kiosk was placed, says the three stations in Bankers Hill have registered just under 6000 dockings

“That’s 6000 people who weren’t taking up parking spaces and who are not cruising around looking for a parking space,” Baltic said. “Of those three [DecoBike stations], only one was placed in front of a business and took two parking spaces and that was in front of my business…. The customer count in the wine bar has been up and the revenue has been up.”
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeOct 30th 2017

Lots of DecoBike riders on yesterdays Ciclosdias.
    • CommentAuthorallanorn
    • CommentTimeOct 30th 2017

bikingbill:Lots of DecoBike riders on yesterdays Ciclosdias.

I noticed that too. I also noticed something like eight Bromptons while I was there, which was a nice surprise!

I wonder if DB will disclose their preferred places to put the relocated bike stands before they're built.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeNov 5th 2017

allanorn:
    bikingbill:Lots of DecoBike riders on yesterdays Ciclosdias.

I noticed that too. I also noticed something like eight Bromptons while I was there, which was a nice surprise!

I wonder if DB will disclose their preferred places to put the relocated bike stands before they're built.

I was on a Brompton too.

I still don't get why two of the local Brompton dealerships closed (Metro and Carlsbad Family Bikes). I guess the only dealer is in Coronado.

And I'm a damned fool for not realizing with was happening with the Carlsbad store, I should have picked up a 2nd Brompton for the wife.
    • CommentAuthorallanorn
    • CommentTimeNov 5th 2017

bikingbill:
    I still don't get why two of the local Brompton dealerships closed (Metro and Carlsbad Family Bikes). I guess the only dealer is in Coronado.

And I'm a damned fool for not realizing with was happening with the Carlsbad store, I should have picked up a 2nd Brompton for the wife.

Bill at Metro Cyclery retired. Of course it happened about a month after I bought my Brompton from them. They were probably the premier utility cycling shop in the greater SD metro area.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeNov 7th 2017

We lose Velocult and now Metro. Sad.
    • CommentAuthorT
    • CommentTimeNov 9th 2017

https://www.voiceofsandiego.org/topics/news/san-diego-screwed-bike-sharing/

https://web.archive.org/web/20171110010331/https://www.voiceofsandiego.org/topics/news/san-diego-screwed-bike-sharing/

How San Diego Screwed Up Bike Sharing
    In many cities, bike-share programs have been successful, with large, growing ridership. That hasn’t been the case in San Diego. On top of bad bike infrastructure, San Diego’s program hasn’t implemented best practices that helped programs elsewhere attract riders.
    • CommentAuthorT
    • CommentTimeNov 9th 2017

https://twitter.com/Serge4IBMayor/status/927960077830623232

City of IB Mayor:

"The @CityofIB took 1 month to implement @limebike dockless bikesharing- its a huge success so far. Innovation is pretty simple."

Re: the above Voice of SD article ...
    • CommentAuthorT
    • CommentTimeNov 10th 2017

good to hear bike-share news story (in china!) on NPR this morning:

https://www.npr.org/2017/11/10/563242506/chinese-company-mobike-focuses-on-dockless-shared-bikes

https://web.archive.org/web/20171111040929/https://www.npr.org/2017/11/10/563242506/chinese-company-mobike-focuses-on-dockless-shared-bikes

Chinese Company Mobike Focuses On Dockless Shared Bikes
    November 10, 20177:40 AM ET

Heard on Morning Edition

Steve Inskeep

A bikeshare start-up in Beijing is set on getting China's commuters out of their cars and on two wheels. But even with 7 million bikes in cities in China and the U.S., Mobike has yet to show a profit.
    • CommentAuthorT
    • CommentTimeNov 10th 2017

Los Angeles is finally hitting the ground and has plenty of bike share on the ground!

Metro: Downtown Los Angeles, Pasadena, the waterfront in San Pedro and Wilmington, and Venice.
    https://la.curbed.com/2017/9/19/16335106/metro-bike-share-rental-los-angeles
    https://bikeshare.metro.net/about/data/

Breeze (Santa Monica)
    https://santamonicabikeshare.com/

and rouge newcomer LimeBike just rolled out in LA
    http://www.limebike.com/blog/with-limebike-dockless-bike-sharing-officially-arrived-los-angeles

and Ofo is now in LA's Griffith Park:
    http://bikinginla.com/2017/11/06/morning-links-dockless-bikeshare-comes-griffith-park-death-vision-zero-hope-beverly-hills/

good to see this all happening! more competition the better!
    • CommentAuthorT
    • CommentTimeNov 26th 2017

http://sdcitybeat.com/news-and-opinion/spin-cycle/no-ducking-dockless/
    https://web.archive.org/web/20171126144625/http://sdcitybeat.com/news-and-opinion/spin-cycle/no-ducking-dockless/

No ducking dockless
    Exclusive DecoBike deal leaves San Diego lagging behind when it comes to bike-sharing
    by John R. Lamb

11/21/2017
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeNov 27th 2017

Limebikes spotted in National City last weekend.

Lime Bikes
    • CommentAuthorT
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2017 edited

cool to see them expanding from Imperial Beach to National City. Maybe Chula Vista will be next? Coronado is the rumor for the 'next city' ...

https://www.facebook.com/LimeBikeSanDiego/

LimeBike San Diego
    November 24 at 11:23am

As you many of you may have already seen, we recently deployed a fleet of brand new bikes on the streets of National City. This new bike share is for all of you - residents and visitors - to use and enjoy! And our rides only cost $1 for 30 minutes of use. To ride, simply download the LimeBike App, locate, and then unlock a bike, and away you go!
    For further instructions, check out our "How To Ride" video, below!
    Common sense, safety, and courtesy go a long way in ensuring everyone's enjoyment. So, when you're done with your ride please park your bike at one of National City’s many bike racks, between the sidewalk and the curb, or on a flat, paved area - not in the street. Lastly, please avoid parking near the tracks at either one of the trolley stations, and be sure to not block the sidewalk or ADA ramps!
    After all, this is YOUR City!
    All ride, all ride, all ride,
    The LimeBike Team
    P.S. If you come across a bike with any issues, please don’t hesitate to contact customer happiness at 1-888-LIME-345, or support@limebike.com!

The UT even covered the 11/24/2017 start of Limebike in National City:

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/communities/south-county/sd-se-limebike-national-20171124-story.html
    https://web.archive.org/web/20171204001003/http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/communities/south-county/sd-se-limebike-national-20171124-story.html
    • CommentAuthorT
    • CommentTimeDec 5th 2017

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/transportation/sd-me-dockless-bike-20171204-story.html
    https://web.archive.org/web/20171205174428/http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/transportation/sd-me-dockless-bike-20171204-story.html

San Diego may be left out of dockless bike sharing trend
    Dec 4, 2017

(Basically the same content as the Nov 26 Citybeat article but good to see it in the UT!)