Not signed in (Sign In)

A man rides a Bird scooter on the Pacific Beach Boardwalk. (Photo by Thomas Melville)

Village Merchants host dockless bike forum with majority of companies represented
    Dave Schwab April 21, 2018 www.sdnews.com
    Three of four dockless bike companies justified their business models in April before the La Jolla Village Merchants Association before fielding tough questions from a mostly hostile audience. Attending were Limebike, Ofo and Mobike with Bird absent.

Like Ofo and Limebike, Keven Duran of Mobike noted his company too has not launched yet in La Jolla. “If you’ve launched in San Diego, you’re launched in La Jolla,” commented LJVMA president Niebling.
    Former LJVMA board member Ike Fazzio, co-owner of traditional bike shop San Diego Fly Rides in La Jolla, asked numerous questions of dockless reps. While welcoming competition, Fazzio said he felt dockless bikes flooding the market is “unfair to other players already existing who operate safely and responsibly.” Fazzio added, “These are things that really need to be addressed by you guys.”
    La Jolla parks planner Sally Miller pointed out dockless companies are for profit and don’t have to abide by the same rules as their traditional competition. “They (dockless) shouldn’t be getting a free ride,” said Miller, an outspoken critic of residents not being given priority on sidewalks and within the public right-of-way. Miller argued dockless bikes are being used illegally, and without proper notification in communities like La Jolla, which she argued has become a “dumping ground” for them.
    Community activist Bill Robbins said the dockless companies need to make themselves more accessible by furnishing contact information for people to report misplaced or damaged bikes. “You need to get the rules worked out,” Robbins said adding, whatever it takes for dockless companies to accommodate communities should be done “without taxpayers having to pay for it.”
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeApr 23rd 2018

batmick:
    Sigurd:
    bikingbill:I still LOVE the idea of paying folks to pedal the ShareBikes to new locations. It makes sense, it's efficient and will cost the companies less in the long run. How do we make this happen?

Your idea already happened - rent a "bonus bike" (marked with a lime slice inside a money bag) for more than five minutes and get a $1.00 credit towards your next rental - see below:

Yes, SPIN bikes does it too. I've seen the free ride icon for bikes that were left off campus and needed to be ridden back.

Btw. the warning when riding them off campus also works quite well. I took one for a quick grocery run to the Trader Joes plaza and the moment I locked it there I got a text message and an email that this was outside the allowed area and that I should return the bike asap. I did ride it bacl, of course, so I don't know if it actually has consequences it you don't. I believe the fineprint says one could get charged.

To really make this work, the money bag bikes should free to rent and pay the rider, if they ride it to a approved location.

Basically, I'm thinking of ways of employing people to move the bikes ... not just a credit for people paying to use them.

In Barcelona they have to haul the dock-share-bikes up the hill in the evening with a truck. Why not just pay people to ride them there?
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill

Oh, the dockless bikes appeared to be a big hit at Earth Day.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbatmick
    • CommentTimeApr 23rd 2018 edited

Seems like the bikes are accumulating at the bottom of hills. Not fun to ride uphill with only three gears and a heavy bike.

My commute takes me through Torrey Pines State Park every day and over the last week have seen one orange Spin bike, two yellow Ofos and a green Lime bike arrive down near the beach entrance. I wonder how long they will stay there. The Lime is even an electric one but I guess the battery ran out.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill

batmick:Seems like the bikes are accumulating at the bottom of hills. Not fun to ride uphill with only three gears and a heavy bike.

My commute takes me through Torrey Pines State Park every day and over the last week have seen one orange Spin bike, two yellow Ofos and a green Lime bike arrive down near the beach entrance. I wonder how long they will stay there. The Lime is even an electric one but I guess the battery ran out.

Like I said, this happened in Barcelona.
    • CommentAuthorShady John

The UCSD students seem to ride the Spin bikes down to the pier or LJ shores, and then take the shuttle bus back up. There's a fair bit of orange around the bus stop at SIO.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbatmick
    • CommentTimeApr 24th 2018

Shady John:The UCSD students seem to ride the Spin bikes down to the pier or LJ shores, and then take the shuttle bus back up. There's a fair bit of orange around the bus stop at SIO.

Yes, there's also a growing cluster by the corner of Villa La Jolla and La Jolla Village Drive. Looks like they're riding it to the bottom of the hill/edge of campus and then leave them there.
    • CommentAuthorgottobike
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2018 edited

• CommentAuthorT
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2018

https://www.citylab.com/transportation/2018/04/a-complete-taxonomy-of-bikeshare-so-far/558560/?utm_source=fbb

What Cities Need to Understand About Bikeshare Now
    ALEX BACA APR 24, 2018

Public or private? Docked or dockless? E-bike or e-scooter? It’s complicated. But bikesharing is now big business, and cities need to understand how these emerging systems operate—and who operates them.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeMay 2nd 2018

I saw several SPIN bikes (they are all-orange) in PB today - not sure I have seen them here before.

I think the Spin bikes are exclusive for the UCSD community--you need a UCSD email address to open an account. So the ride to PB is probably not supposed to happen.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbatmick
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd 2018

Shady John:I think the Spin bikes are exclusive for the UCSD community--you need a UCSD email address to open an account. So the ride to PB is probably not supposed to happen.

Definitely not. I got text and email notifications within minutes when I rode one off campus to get some groceries at Trader Joe's.
    • CommentAuthort.e.d
    • CommentTimeMay 4th 2018

I've seen a few Spin bikes around mid town and City Heights. Not sure how they got here...
    La Jolla Parks and Beaches revisit what do with dockless bikes: Branded bike racks?
    Dave Schwab May 5th, 2018 sdnews.com
    LJPB board member Bill Robbins offered a suggestion on how best to deal with the vexing issue. “The easiest thing to do would be to have La Jolla-branded bike racks, and ask the city to install them on a consistent basis throughout La Jolla,” he said. “The trick is to get together a list of best practices, and we’re late in the game,” said LJPB president Ann Dynes.
    Dynes made a resolution stating that, “We want to see proper regulation of these forms of personal transportation.” “We should suggest our concerns about sidewalk safety and clutter,” noted board member Mary Ellen Morgan. “Now we are being asked to react to this [bad] behavior — which really isn’t fair.” “That would certainly be a part of it,” agreed Dynes adding, “We’re not here to develop these [regulatory] rules.”

Dynes said she would send the group resolution calling for tighter regulation of dockless bikes to Councilmember Barbara Bay and Mayor Kevin Faulconer’s office.

Thanks @seattledot. These are awesome! Increase visibility at intersections for motorists and people walking. Slows down right turning motorists. Also provides bicycle #parking for both personal and #bikeshare bikes which was needed here. (From a twitter posting)

The logic for the rewards of gained pedestrian safety is similar to that of building bulb-outs at intersections. Line of sight is enhanced for all road users, crossing distance is 'virtually' decreased and a speed diet of sorts is imposed on vehicular traffic.

The image above is a good example of what could be used as a solution to the bike-share storage problem. Maybe a bike corral on every block or as needed in business districts or busy areas. The bike share companies could fund the spaces via fees or taxes, covering what could be expected from parking meters. 1 parking spot = 10-12 bikes! Now that would be efficient use of public space for active transportation parking, while successfully managing neighborhood spaces. The 'cost of parking' would be borne by the bike user as part of the bike usage fee. The bike share company would pay fees to the city to cover the use of the 'public space' as a parking area. All fees and revenues could be balanced to equitably distribute cost/benefits among users, providers and city services.
    =================================================

Maybe when re-imagining intersections with pedestrian bulb-outs, roundabouts and other such facilities, a similar type of bike parking could be incorporated into the design.

NACTO Curb Extensions - Scroll down to see examples of space (yellow areas) that could be efficiently utilized for bike corrals. Incorporate the first 'vehicle' parking space as a bike corral and you've increased parking for potentially another 10-12 customers in a business district. NATCO Bike Parking

Curb Extensions/Bulb-outs (scroll down)

The small area between the parked cars and the bulb-out, otherwise wasted space, could be captured and better utilized as part of a larger bike corral when the first parking space is repossessed, thus efficiently using that precious space to add 5-7 more bikes to a bike corral.

Non-standard return: Sharper curb returns increase pedestrian space and minimize parking loss while better defining a curb extension. However, they are more difficult and costly to maintain. This first space might be where a bike corral could be located with protections from traffic while fostering clear sight lines to all road users. The cost of maintenance would be borne by the bike-share providers.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeMay 9th 2018

Old Knotty Buoy:“The easiest thing to do would be to have La Jolla-branded bike racks, and ask the city to install them on a consistent basis throughout La Jolla,” he said.
    It's funny that La Jolla, who fought the City to deny access to DecoBike, now wants the City to install docks for the new dockless bikes.
    Sigurd:
    Old Knotty Buoy:“The easiest thing to do would be to have La Jolla-branded bike racks, and ask the city to install them on a consistent basis throughout La Jolla,” he said.
    It's funny that La Jolla, who fought the City to deny access to DecoBike, now wants the City to install docks for the new dockless bikes.
    Ain't that the way?! It's similar to the paradigm shift with Ben Nicholls and the Hillcrest Business Association (HBA). (See 'In the News" posting April 24, 2018.)

I have to admit though that none of this planning is easy. With so many constituents to satisfy it's hard to get quick progress. I used to be impatient for my views to be adopted but have become much more circumspect in these matters. Listening to other viewpoints and ideas, giving them time to marinate and then coming to consensus seems old and slow but generally leads to agreed, stable and adhered to outcomes.

A lot of the new bicycle infrastructure is trial by fire. I agree with using implementations that can be easily modified once they've been tested and critiqued. It's easier to change painted surfaces than to change concrete. There is low 'hanging fruit' that can be harvested quickly while the other fruit require a bit of a stretch. The necessary cost considerations and restraints can be both helpful and economical in the long run. Less money spent on just a few unproven hardscape projects, frees up resources for paint and experimentation in many more areas. Also. should an implementation not be successful, there is less finger pointing and cries of wasted resources which might discourage further infrastructure development. Once concepts are proven and accepted, they can be improved, refined and upgraded.

The bureaucratic process is slow and deliberate for many reasons. Whether it be SANDAG, County or City planning, community groups or even within advocacy groups, sometimes you just have to let the gears turn and keep at it. If it's an uphill battle you're going to spin a lot for little gain. Other times it may seem you're on the level with the wind at your back and the sun on your face. Enjoy that ride when you get it.

The Structure of Scientific Revolutions by Thomas Kuhn is a seminal treatise on an 'episodic model of change' in which periods of conceptual continuity in normal thought were interrupted by periods of revolutionary thinking. The old ways of thinking are slow to adapt and time is required for the new ways to take hold.

Just keep spinning, we'll get there. The journey is the destination.
    • CommentTimeMay 10th 2018

I still find it amazing how little people are willing to learn from what others have done before them. I think one person in the city government, with half a day of internet searching and phone calls to other cities where dockless bikes have been tried, could prepare a one page briefing document (or a few PowerPoint slides) describing basic facts, outcomes, timelines, costs, issues, responses, etc, related to dockless bikes. You then circulate the document to all of the town councils so they can be informed when they discuss the issue with constituencies. This could at least be the framework for how to discuss the issue in your particular local community, based on some general facts. Instead, we prefer to speculate wildly about outcomes and solutions, with respect to dockless bikes, bikes in general, infrastructure, transit, etc. Look at healthcare in the US. Do we think that no other country in the world has ever considered how to deliver healthcare to its populace? That there isn't solid data on how various approaches have worked? Of course there are always local conditions, but that doesn't change the fact that there are also general principals and truths. But instead, we yell and scream, spend billions of dollars, and then say "nobody knew healthcare could be so complicated." Yes, people knew, we just don't bother to consult them. Or maybe worse--we choose not to believe data, or to manipulate data, when it serves our purposes.

Electric scooters on the boardwalk in Mission Beach. / Photo by Thomas Melville

Emergency ordinance to ban motorized scooters on boardwalk
    May 10, 2018 sdnews.com
    Beach area residents fed up with motorized scooters on the Pacific Beach and Mission Beach boardwalk and surrounding walkways will get relief from speeding scooters with an emergency ordinance. Residents have complained about continued reckless use of electric scooters along the Pacific Beach and Mission Beach boardwalk. This type of behavior has resulted in collisions, accidents and bodily injuries.

Councilmember Lorie Zapf sent a memo on April 20 asking for assistance from Mayor Kevin Faulconer regarding motorized scooters prior to the start of summer. The mayor’s staff is working on bringing an emergency ordinance to council on May 22, 2018. The ordinance will clarify local laws to ensure public safety by amending the San Diego Municipal Code. State law currently prohibits use of motorized scooters on sidewalks, however this ordinance specifically addresses the boardwalk from Crystal Pier to the South Mission Beach jetty.

=============================================

Bird's electric scooters continue to ruffle feathers
    Joshua Emerson Smith May 10, 2018 sandiegouniontribune.com
    Dockless electric scooters, which have flooded into San Diego in recent months, could soon be banned from the boardwalk in Mission Beach. City officials said Wednesday they are drafting an emergency ordinance aimed at restricting the motorized vehicles along the boardwalk from Crystal Pier south to the jetty.
    “For reasons of public safety on the boardwalk, we need to ensure that we are being diligent and that we don’t have vehicles that are going 15 miles per hour, especially during the summer months,” said Kelly Batten, chief of staff for Zapf. “Lifeguards are now being forced to deal with these issues on the boardwalk, distracting them from the ocean.” The ordinance to restrict the motorized scooters along the boardwalk would need to be approved by the City Council, which is expected to vote on the issue at a regularly scheduled meeting on Tuesday, May 22, 2018.
    Last Fall, Santa Monica-based company Bird pioneered the market for electric scooters, swooping into Los Angeles and San Diego. Then Bay Area start-up LimeBike started offering its own version of the motorized scooter. Almost immediately, the new electric vehicles were met with both excitement and safety concerns. Under pressure from elected officials, Bird launched a public education campaign about how to use its product responsibly, as well as started giving away free helmets, which are required under state law to ride the motorized vehicles.

That hasn’t been enough to alleviate the concerns of many pedestrians who have experienced the scooters whizzing by them at their top speed of 15 miles per hour. Boardwalks in San Diego have a speed limit of 8 miles an hour, and state law prohibits riding motorized scooters on any sidewalk. Police have yet to crack down on people breaking either law.
    Council member Barbara Bry briefs Bird Rock Council on neighborhood issues in La Jolla
    Corey Levitan May 9th, 2018 lajollalight.com
    Bry announced that she’s “researching what other cities are doing” about dockless bikes and that a Budget Committee meeting will be held on the subject in June. The reason it will come to Budget, she explained, is that “there will probably be some sort of fees that go along the enforcement it’s going to take to make sure that we all are safe and that these vehicles are leased appropriately.”

Bry added that she has seen police cite helmetless scooter riders in Pacific Beach, but that “really, it shouldn’t be the police officers, we should have meter maids doing it.”
    Treasurer Barbara Dunbar announced that more complaints have been received about dockless bikes, real-estate signs, planters and other merchant encroachments along La Jolla Boulevard. She also said that City officials were “pleased with the state of upkeep” during a quarterly inspection of the Maintenance Assessment District and that she was pleased that water usage was within budget from a conservation perspective. Finally, addressing the drainage problem at the intersection of Forward Street and La Jolla Boulevard — where water consistently pools by the roundabout — Dunbar called it “a City issue.”

Supporters of motorized scooters were at Councilmember Lorie Zapf's announcement in front of Mission Beach Lifeguard Station.
    Photo by Dave Schwab

Zapf moves to ban motorized scooters from boardwalk
    Dave Schwab May 11, 2018 sdnews.com
    District 2 Councilmember Lorie Zapf on May 11 announced she will ask the City Council to endorse an emergency ordinance prohibiting motorized scooters on sidewalks and the boardwalk from Crystal Pier in Pacific Beach to the jetty in South Mission Beach.

“In the past few months, my office has been inundated by reports from upset residents regarding motorized scooters on the boardwalk,” said Zapf, flanked by interim Lifeguard chief Lt. James Gartland and SDPD Northern Division Capt. Tina Williams, in front of Mission Beach Lifeguard Station. “They say the scooters are going way too fast, causing accidents and making the boardwalk right-of-way dangerous.” Characterizing pedestrians as “obstacles” motorized riders “weave around,” and the boardwalk itself as a “human slalom course,” Zapf read a couple of representative emails calling for action to curb motorized vehicles.

“Please get these motorized scooters off the boardwalk, they’re create a serious public safety issue for everyone,” said one email.

“Scooters are riding on the boardwalk with no regard for those walking, biking or riding skateboards,” said another email.
    “This is a public safety issue,” reiterated Zapf. “We need to take action. My job is to protect the citizens and reduce the liability to the city.”

Zapf said she will ask the full City Council May 22 to approve a motorized scooter ban on the boardwalk, as well as asking counsel to clarify what’s legal and what’s not regarding where, and how, motorized scooters can be operated. Zapf said electric carts for the disabled would not be covered in the proposed boardwalk motorized ban.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeMay 15th 2018

BRING ON THE BIKOCALYPSE

Chinese cities have been overtaken by the chaos and clutter of dockless bikes. American cities should follow their lead.

THINK OF YOUR favorite cities in the world. I know nothing about you, but I’ll make a bet: All of them were built well over a century ago, before the rise of the automobile.

Statistically, that bet is a clear loser: Most of the cities in the world are a few decades old, at most. In 1950, just 83 cities had more than 1 million inhabitants; by 2008, that number had risen to more than 400. That means that the overwhelming majority came of age in the last half-century or so. But post-car cities are invariably broken on some fundamental level. They’re architected around vehicles, not people, and feel inhuman as a result. Cars, after all, require acres of flat, open space to operate effectively, both when moving and when parked. The result is cities that are all but unnavigable to anybody without wheels.
    Cars inflict an awful toll in terms of public health, too: millions of deaths and injuries due to crashes, as well as elevated levels of particulate pollution and a strong incentive for citizens to sit down too much and self-propel around the city too little. Once cars have taken over, humans become small, weak, scared, helpless, infantilized.

The question then becomes: Are cities doomed to be forever tainted by the original sin of their birthdate? Will all cities built around cars feel grim and soulless for generations to come? Or, like the complex emergent organisms they are, can they evolve into human-scaled places with real soul and a sense of place?

Up until now, the prognosis has been pretty grim. City planners who have tackled the problem have invariably failed. (Look, for instance, at Los Angeles' Tom Bradley, whose 1973 mayoral campaign included the promise to build a new rail line. More than four decades later, LA remains a stubbornly car-based city, with a mere 100 miles or so of rail.) Planning tends to defeat—or at least fail to replicate—the kind of subtle and complex interactions that create a rich urban fabric. Plus, those planners are up against basic math. Vibrant cities require density, and if you have enough people per square mile to make a city hum, you also have enough people per square mile to cause horrendous traffic congestion.

Where city planners have failed, however, rampaging Chinese capitalists might have succeeded. Two huge Chinese companies, Mobike and Ofo, have started to transform Beijing, Shanghai, and most other major Chinese cities; they’ve already made inroads in much of the rest of the world too. So far they’re still tiny in America, but they’re very well funded, and the Chinese precedent is proof that growth can be truly explosive if the local government is willing to let it happen.

The transformation mechanism is dockless bike share, a fundamentally simple idea that was simply not possible before the age of the ubiquitous smartphone. Start with millions of bikes, equip them all with GPS trackers and digital locks, and drop them on the city of your choice. Then, leave everything to the citizenry. Anybody can download the app, use it to unlock a bike near them, ride it wherever they want, and then leave it at their destination. Each ride, in China at least, costs the rider no more than about 15 cents.

The bikes then start taking on a life of their own, as they get swept up in the invisible streams and eddies of human movement around the city. It’s messy and chaotic, to be sure—but it’s also incredibly effective and insanely popular. So popular, indeed, that before long, cars find themselves having to navigate their way around bikes, rather than the other way around. For the first time in living memory, cars have lost their primacy. And they’re losing it fast: In Shanghai, the number of dockless bikes exploded from an already-enormous 450,000 to a mind-boggling 1.5 million in the six months from February to August 2017.

Dockless bikes are so transformative because they solve the single biggest problem in post-car cities: short trips inside the city center. Most cities already have train systems that can move millions of people every day across long distances. But until now there has been no such option for shorter trips once they get downtown, or for people wanting to get to train and subway stations in the first place. In younger cities, those shorter trips tend to involve long, grim walks down car-choked highways. But if you have access to a bike any time you want one, an intimidating half-mile-long block becomes an easy hop. Most bike-share journeys replace unattractive walks, and make urban navigation much more pleasurable as a result.

Bikes plus smartphones, then, might just be enough to usher in a new golden age for cities....
    La Jolla Shores board stands by dockless bike ban
    Ashley Mackin-Solomon May 16, 2018 lajollalight.com
    Rather than sign on to a community resolution seeking regulation of the dockless bikes that have sprung up around San Diego, the La Jolla Shores Association (LJSA) is standing by their request for a full-out ban. The Shores board, having sent a letter to San Diego Mayor Kevin Faulconer and City Council member Barbara Bry asking for the prohibition, voted during its May 9 meeting to not sign their name on the regulatory resolution circulating among La Jolla’s community advisory groups.
    A resolution was drafted that asks the City to “implement reasonable and balanced regulatory and infrastructure solutions to address the concerns of public safety and aesthetics generated by these forms of personal transportation.” It cites the need for enforcement processes and “a system of recognized bicycle racks, as well as consideration of dedicated placement zones for dockless bicycles and other personal transportation vehicles which technically require no racking to be safely abandoned.”
    And while LJSA is the first La Jolla group to ask for a ban, they are not the only group in the greater San Diego area to work towards a prohibition.
    Other La Jolla groups have signed on to the resolution — namely La Jolla Town Council; La Jolla Parks & Beaches; La Jolla Community Planning Association, which had the signing of this resolution on its consent agenda, so it was passed without discussion; Bird Rock Community Council, during a board of directors meeting ahead of its public monthly meeting; and La Jolla Traffic & Transportation.
    When leaders from these and other community groups met to discuss the resolution, LJSA chair Janie Emerson said she opposed. “I tried to impress on them what this what this does to The Shores and what it does for our businesses, because they don’t have the same issues as we do in La Jolla Village. So we are pretty much on our own. The other groups aren’t going to fight it,” she said during the May 9 LJSA meeting. “I was talking against the wall. I was flabbergasted. I don’t see this (resolution) as accomplishing anything, except benefiting tourists. … Their position is the antithesis of ours.”
    Reflecting on the board’s opposition to the bike kiosks associated with DecoBike (now Discover Bike), LJSA trustee Terry Kraszewski added, “Two years ago, when DecoBike want to come to our community, we voted unanimously to keep them out … and they went to other communities. What La Jolla Village is suggesting is the very thing we fought with DecoBike.”

A motion to not sign on to the resolution passed 11-2-1.
    There is much more in this article worth reading, that would be too much to post here.
    • CommentAuthorgottobike
    • CommentTimeMay 16th 2018

Old Knotty Buoy:La Jolla Shores board stands by dockless bike ban

Issue: Traffic congestion, street noise, toxic smog, dangerous streets and intersections, cars parked everywhere, cannot access shops, beach, residences.
    Solution: Ban bicycles?

Crony capitalism. Rental kayaks all over the place. I saw a Lime eBike at the top of Mt Soledad the other day--I imagine LJ Hike, Bike, and Kayak wants to shut down that idea ASAP. LJ Beach and Tennis Club cordons off the beach--I haven't measured precisely, but I'm not sure they stay above the mean high tide line (though to their credit I've never heard of any Malibu Colony-like enforcement action there). Stake your claim to public resources, then do whatever it takes to protect your turf. Us vs them, closed-mindedness, look to the past, not the future. This is what I expect from the neighborhoods of La Jolla, so I am not surprised.

And while we're almost on the topic, I have to say: I have long had the theory that one of the reasons why the sea lions moved over from Goldfish Point to the Cove, where they caused such a stink, was that the constant stream of rental kayaks over to Goldfish Point was a nuisance to the sea lions. You could even see it in the Google Maps satellite images (as of a few years ago, at least).
    Shame on those NIMBY's banning bikes and scooters, is close minded protectionism. Change is difficult, in a few months this will be no big deal, Calm the hell down everyone. Now if users would leave bikes in a thoughtful more out of way location-use the medians, mow strips etc.

Lime Opens Military’s First Dock-Free Bikeshare On Naval Base San Diego
    Lime will be launching 200 of our smart pedal bikes on Naval Base San Diego. The 1,600-acre base consists of approximately 50 ships and 34,000 military and non-military personnel, making it the principal homeport of the U.S. Pacific Fleet. Needless to say, reliable transportation is an important part of daily operations here.

To accommodate, key members of our local team have already undergone rigorous background checks to be granted base clearance, enabling us to keep our fleet rebalanced and operating at peak performance. We’ve also worked alongside the U.S. Navy to identify high-traffic zones where bike deployment will offer the greatest benefit to sailors, officers and civilians. These areas include housing and the Navy Exchange (NEX).

“The Navy has deep roots in San Diego,” says Zack Bartlett, Lime’s Regional General Manager. “We’re thrilled to be offering a program that will allow our servicemen and women an easier and smarter way to get around the base.” We look forward to providing clean, affordable mobility to the men and women of the U.S. Armed Forces, and thank all current and former servicemen and women for your service to our country!

When Councilmember Lorie Zapf announced on May 11 that the City Council will take up an emergency ordinance to ban motorized scooters from the boardwalk, we went out on Saturday, May 12 to check out who is riding the scooters. It turns out, riders are young, old and everything in between.
    Photo by Thomas Melville

What do locals and tourists think about the motorized scooter ban plan?

May 18, 2018 sdnews.com
    • “People want to come down here, have fun and ride a bike or something. It is a good alternative to bike riding. I think it’s neat.” – Chris Amaral, Salinas
    • “[The unsafe ones are] these knucklehead tourists who come out here and don't know how to act in San Diego. I get my freedom riding up and down the coast just listening to my jams.” – Brandon Ashcraft, SD
    • “They really help me when I run errands. I think that [the city] is taking away all of our fun. They should probably put speed limits or something like that.” – Jorge Pascal, SD
    • “I have just ridden from one end of the board walk to the other. I have not seen any misconduct what-so-ever. I don’t think that with this type of vehicle that anything is inherently unsafe.” – Walter Moss, SD
    La Jolla Village Merchants elect new president, announce dockless bike news
    Corey Levitan May 16, 2018 lajollalight.com
    Executive director Sheila Fortune toned down the hostility she and most board members displayed during April’s meeting towards reps of four dockless bike companies. …“the bottom line is that bikes are here, there are going to be more, and we can figure out how we can proactively welcome them.”

Fortune floated, and the board passed, a motion to “gather information about dockless bikes and move forward” with a plan that lacked many specifics and that she said would take months, if not years, to get right. “It gets to move the conversation forward so we can at least try to control it,” Fortune said.
    Fortune also revealed the the dockless bike company ofo has agreed to assume liability for injuries or deaths suffered while riders rent their vehicles in La Jolla Village. “They have gone to their insurance companies and their legal authorities and created a contract where they will cover us on their insurance,” Fortune said. So far, ofo is the only dockless company to address a single one of the LJVMA’s many concerns about the new tech that has invaded San Diego since rolling out in February.
    Fortune said that her next step was to respond to a City request to pinpoint a minimum of 10 spaces where La Jolla would like to see either bike racks, painted corrals or parking spots made available for dockless bikes and scooters. Fortune said which solution is still be up for discussion, but that the spaces for the solution would likely be in existing parking spaces adjacent to handicapped parking spaces.

“They’re willing to adjust their apps and they have visual and virtual things where they can show where spaces are, but we have to determine what’s best for our Village,” she said, adding that she has “a big map of the City” and will decide on the spots “in the next couple of weeks.”
    Fortune also mentioned that she would fight for an associate membership fee to be collected on behalf of the LJVMA for every bike used on Village streets. “Treat them like any merchant who is an associate member,” she said. “They would pay on a sliding scale, anywhere from $350 to a couple thousand depending on their size and what they’re doing to business.”
    Give them credit for at least trying to manage this new technology with thoughtful consideration and due process. Finding solutions to liability, parking and inviting bike share to join the merchants association are all positive steps toward integrating bike share into the community. Good effort LJVMA.

== More ==

LJVMA re-hashes dockless bikes, elects new president
    Dave Schwab May 18, 2018 sdnews.com
    Regarding dockless bikes, LJVMA executive director Sheila Fortune said, “They are here. The bottom line is we can figure out how we want to proactively welcome them, or we can sit and complain about it and have a million more meetings.”

Fortune asked the board whether they would prefer to have dockless bikes “corralled,” in free bike racks donated by the city on sidewalks, or possibly re-use disabled parking for that purpose. Regarding an earlier suggestion that bike racks could be localized, Fortune replied, “The City will not pay to have La Jolla printed on them or any kind of bike rack logo. We do not have the budget to get custom bike racks.”
    After the May 9 meeting, Fortune said the city has asked LJVMA to identify 10 spots that could be used for bike racks throughout the business improvement district by June.

“Then as we are looking for bike rack locations on our sidewalks, we will look at the [disabled] blue zones and see if there are a few that could potentially work with the space next to it painted as a ‘coral,’ ”Fortune said, adding, “Not all sidewalks can handle racks, and not every block that has a blue zone needs a coral. Until we map it out, we don’t know what will work…or what can even get approved.”
    Robbins said dockless companies need to be held accountable. “Somebody needs to make them put them in some sort of corral,” he said. “I don’t think we should have to do that for them.” Suggested Robbins: “I would make a deal with them saying, ‘We’ll do this if you do this. We’ll give you parking spaces or racks if you pick them up.’” But Robbins warned, “Let’s get something from them in writing before you give away parking.”

The dockless issue will likely be revisited again at LJVMA’s next meeting on June 13, 2018.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeMay 18th 2018

...dockless bike company ofo has agreed to assume liability for injuries or deaths suffered while riders rent their vehicles...
    Do we hold Hertz, Dollar and Thrifty (et al) responsible for injuries and deaths while drivers rent their vehicles?
    • CommentTimeMay 18th 2018

But is it reasonable for each neighborhood (not even a city, just a little board in part of the city of San Diego) to separately negotiate terms with a regional business? Once again, San Diegans are not even aware of how they are hurt by having a tradition of visionless city government, and a weak, spineless mayor who flops in the breeze. This is a case where the city should have engaged the dockless bike companies, negotiated ground rules, anticipated issues and addressed them up-front before the bikes got here. I think it was a failure to hide behind the docking bike share contract as an excuse to do nothing proactive about accomodating dockless bikes. And it's a failure to let policy be set piecemeal by each neighborhood. I'll credit Barbara Bry for at least having an open mind, and taking the incredibly radical step of looking to learn from the experience of other municipalities where dockless bikes have been introduced.

A Jump bike sits in front of Uber headquarters in San Francisco. Uber acquired Jump for an undisclosed amount of money.
    Justin Sullivan/Getty Images

Is Uber disrupting itself with its bike share investment?

Molly Wood, Stephanie Hughes, and Shaheen Ainpour
    May 21, 2018 marketplace.org
    ------------------------------------

Uber makes moves to disrupt bikes, too
    Host Molly Wood - May 21, 2018 marketplace.org
    Uber is looking beyond cars in its bid to control the future of mobility. The company recently acquired electric bike share startup Jump. That means in select cities, Uber users can opt for a bike instead of a driver to help them get around. But the uptick in two-wheeled transportation sharing has some worried about pedestrian safety on sidewalks, not to mention the implications surrounding data privacy. Marketplace Tech host Molly Wood met up with Jump CEO Ryan Rzepecki on a busy street in San Francisco to get a handle on the ride share ecosystem.

An electric scooter operated by Bird at the beach.

San Diego Rejects Scooter Ban on Pacific Beach Boardwalk
    Alexander Nguyen May 22, 2018 timesofsandiego.com
    The San Diego City Council on Tuesday rejected an emergency ordinance that would have banned motorized scooters on boardwalks in Mission Beach, Pacific Beach, Mission Bay and La Jolla. State law already bans motorized scooters from sidewalks but doesn’t mention boardwalks.
    Lorie Zapf's proposed emergency ordinance was voted down on a 6-3 vote, with Barbara Bry and Mark Kersey joining Zapf on the losing end.

Councilman Chris Ward said a ban was premature, especially considering city and law enforcement officials haven’t collected data at each of the locations it would have affected. “We’re being asked today to do something on anecdotal information, and I don’t think that’s a good basis for policymaking,” Ward said.
    “This is not an accident waiting to happen — these accidents have happened,” Zapf said earlier in the meeting. “And they’re serious accidents.”

Two people sharing one motorized scooter is against the current ordinance and could warrant a ticket for the users. / Photo by Thomas Melville

City Council votes against boardwalk ban for motorized scooters
    May 22, 2018 sdnews.com
    “I honestly thought this was a no brainer, but clearly I was wrong,” said District 2 Councilmember Lorie Zapf (who proposed the emergency ordinance) after the City Council vote. “Anywhere else in the city we’re not asking for this, just at the boardwalk, and just for the same rules that apply to the sidewalks.”

“San Diego has embraced this innovative and green technology,” said Maya Rosas, policy director for Circulate San Diego. “A vote to ban scooters in our iconic boardwalks would have been a step in the wrong direction on the City’s road to get more people walking, biking, scooting, and taking transit.”
    “We’ve issued 27 citations for running a motorized scooter on a sidewalk, 182 citations for motorized riders without helmets, and issued seven citations for someone riding with a passenger on their scooter,” said SDPD Northern Division Capt. Tina Williams last week. Public service announcements will be forthcoming to educate the public on where motorized scooters can and cannot ride legally, she added.

“Speed is the main problem,” said Mission Beach Town Council president Gary Wonacott last week. “We have the summer coming. We know there are going to be a lot more people on the boardwalk.”
    City Council votes against scooter ban on boardwalks in La Jolla Shores, PB and Mission Beach
    Ashley Mackin-Solomon May 22, 2018 lajollalight.com
    District 2 Council member Lorie Zapf (whose district includes PB and Mission Beach) presented two items: one to introduce and adopt an emergency ordinance to amend the San Diego Municipal Code to add a definition of “motorized scooter,” and a second to introduce an ordinance to amend the Municipal Code to add a new section “related to prohibiting the operation of motorized scooters on the boardwalk in Mission Beach and Pacific Beach, Mission Bay Park Bayside Walk, and La Jolla Shores Boardwalk.”

“This issue came to me from the community,” said Council member Zapf. “I’m responding to so many people throughout the community groups that have seen too much and to a public safety issue. … We are not proposing a ban, these vehicles can still be used in the City, this is just for the boardwalks. This is not an accident waiting to happen, these accidents have happened,”
    District 1 Council member Barbara Bry, who represents La Jolla, said she was in favor of the ordinance. “A few weeks ago, my husband and I were walking … and I counted 30 scooters, some going really fast, and we did not see one person wearing a helmet. The electric scooters and other forms of transportation are innovative options and I want these companies to succeed. But we need smart, flexible and fair regulations.”
    District 7 Council member Scott Sherman, also in opposition, argued the issue could be better solved with education and riders using them properly rather than banning the vehicles themselves.

“We can’t just ban something just because some people are acting irresponsibly. And, frankly, I’m shocked that people are acting irresponsibly at the beach.

A group of friends rides motorized scooters on the boardwalk in Mission Beach.
    Photo by Thomas Melville

City Council votes against boardwalk ban for motorized scooters
    Dave Schwab May 23, 2018 sdnews.com
    Shock, anger and relief for some was the local reaction to the City Council’s 6-3 vote May 22 against an emergency ordinance prohibiting motorized scooters on coastal boardwalks.

“I am disappointed that my colleagues failed to realize the tremendous public safety problem electric scooters present on the boardwalk,” said Zapf. “I intend to continue working with the police department, the lifeguard service and community leaders to refine the proposal so that it can gather majority support on the council.”
    Asked if the boardwalk is considered a sidewalk, San Diego Police Department spokesperson Lt. Brent Williams, answered: “Some parts are sidewalks and already prohibited. Some parts are a Class 1 bike way. That’s what the item at City Council was about.” Of helmets, Williams said: “They are required for any rider who uses a scooter, age is not a factor. It is enforced and a number of citations have been written for this specific violation citywide.” Concerning enforcement of the 8 mph speed limit on the boardwalk, Williams said: “Scooters do go faster than 8 mph, and 8 mph is the posted limit. Enforcement of this is also done on the boardwalk, and will continue to be enforced by SDPD.”
    “I was disgusted,” said Scott Chipman, a 43-year PB resident. “The presentation on safety issues could not have been more convincing showing case after case of dangerous conditions on the boardwalk … Multiple videos of scooter crashes causing injuries were shown. The two City Council members who have beach boardwalks in their districts pleadings were ignored. The recommendations of police and life guard chief were ignored.”
    A counter perspective was offered by Circulate San Diego, a regional nonprofit promoting public and non-motorized travel.

“Since the introduction of dockless bike and scooter share earlier this year, San Diegans have begun to use active transportation more than ever before,” said Maya Rosas, the group’s policy director. “Circulate San Diego supports the use of dockless bike and scooter share as a form of transportation and spoke at City Council in opposition to the proposed ban. San Diego has embraced this innovative and green technology. A vote to ban scooters in our iconic boardwalks would have been a step in the wrong direction on the City’s road to get more people walking, biking, scooting, and taking transit.”
    Said longtime PB community Planner Chris Olson: “Our leaders should support and promote alternative methods of transportation and find safe and effective methods to employ them. This emergency ordinance is a knee-jerk reaction to an important public safety issue, and it is the wrong approach. Yes, some people recklessly speed on scooters, skateboards, bikes, etc. But a blanket ban of motorized scooters on one section of the boardwalk is not a rational solution.”

Added Olson: “This ordinance targets a method of transportation rather than the true issue, which is speed. Will they ban electric bikes next? Every time I see people on these scooters they exude gleeful revelation. Don’t take that away.”
    • CommentAuthorfrank
    • CommentTimeMay 23rd 2018 edited

I wonder how much of the scooter issue has to due with the fact the “boardwalks” aren’t actually sidewalks as part of the highway system (CVC and SHC have a specific definition of highway..) The boardwalks instead are a city property as part of a park so a prohibition would need to be written carefully otherwise it could be thrown out.

Regardless, the only reason Zapf brought this up is because many of her constituents in District II grew frustrated with her ignoring us so now she’s trying to act like she’s doing something before the people vote for someone to replace her. Very rarely does she reply to our letters or calls over anything. I’ve tried to contact her office many times over local bicycling issues and no replies were sent.

Has anybody seen how the city enforced the 8mph speed limit? That’s a speed someone in a bicycle (human or electric assist) that’s easy to reach. Do cops measure speed with a radar gun on the boardwalk?
    • CommentAuthorgottobike
    • CommentTimeMay 25th 2018 edited

It’s good to visit San Diego now… we got BIKE SHARE!!!

Unlocking a dockless bike.

What is Dockless Bike Share
    https://altaplanning.com/dockless-bike-share/
    As the name suggests, dockless bike share does not require a docking station — an expense that could sometimes limit the number of bikes a city could afford. With dockless systems, bicycles can be parked within a defined district at a bike rack or along the sidewalk. Dockless bikes can be located and unlocked using a smartphone app.

Lime Bike (Dockless)
    https://www.limebike.com/

OFO (Dockless)
    https://www.ofo.com/us/

Mobike (Dockless)
    https://www.mobike.com/us/

Discover (Docking required)
    http://www.discoverbikesandiego.com/station-map

----
    Maps & Routes
    ----
    Interactive San Diego Regional Bike Map
    http://www.icommutesd.com/Bike/BikeMap.aspx
    Layer List to display: [ x ] Bike to Work Day Pit Stops [ x ] Bike Lockers/Parking [ x ] Bikeways Coming Soon (pathetic) [ x ] Bikeways in the San Diego Region (pitiful) [ x ] Steep Routes [ x ] Trolley, COASTER and SPRINTER
    Search to display: zip code, neighborhood, street address, business

Bayshore Bikeway
    https://www.sandiego.org/articles/biking/bike-route-bayshore-bikeway.aspx

Bikeabout
    http://www.bikabout.com/san-diego/

Bike Map - iCommute San Diego
    http://www.icommutesd.com/bike/documents/SanDiegoBikeMap2015_South.pdf

Downtown/Uptown Bike Loop
    https://www.sandiego.gov/sites/default/files/legacy/tsw/pdf/bikeloopmapbrochure.pdf
    Skip to page 2 for map.
    • CommentAuthorallanorn
    • CommentTimeMay 30th 2018 edited

frank:Has anybody seen how the city enforced the 8mph speed limit? That’s a speed someone in a bicycle (human or electric assist) that’s easy to reach. Do cops measure speed with a radar gun on the boardwalk?

I used to be able to run at 8mph (it's 7:30/mile) and there's no enforcement on that. I know I'm not a vehicle though. I've never seen enforcement on the speed limit.

If the boardwalk is designated a Class I bike path, anything Zapf proposed would likely be thrown out in court. The only alternative that could stick is to make the entire boardwalk a pedestrian zone and ban anything with wheels, which is going to be a very tough sell.
    allanorn:
    frank:Has anybody seen how the city enforced the 8mph speed limit? That’s a speed someone in a bicycle (human or electric assist) that’s easy to reach. Do cops measure speed with a radar gun on the boardwalk?
    I used to be able to run at 8mph (it's 7:30/mile) and there's no enforcement on that. I know I'm not a vehicle though. I've never seen enforcement on the speed limit.

If the boardwalk is designated a Class I bike path, anything Zapf proposed would likely be thrown out in court. The only alternative that could stick is to make the entire boardwalk a pedestrian zone and ban anything with wheels, which is going to be a very tough sell.
    I've seen cops give out tickets to bikes and skaters alike on the MB/PB Ocean Front walk. (Near Hammels, PB Drive and in South Mission.)

The 8 mph rule on the boardwalk around Mission Bay seems reasonable with the multitude of users; children, seniors, dogs, etc. I remember when that went into effect years ago, it was to calm the mixed pedestrian/bike/roller-skater/skate-boarder situation down, especially on busy summer weekends. (I used to work for ex-Padre Tony Criscola who was knocked down on the bayside walk by a skateboarder and died two days later.) You have children running loose, surfers with boards crossing to/from the beach, sun-dazed wall trolls, etc.

Then they installed the traffic lights that when flashing, required you to dismount and walk your bike. Then they worked to widen the Ocean Front walk by reclaiming city right of way at the front of private property. Property line sea walls had to be moved back by ~ 5-7 feet and the yellow center stripe was put in. All of this in the name of safety and to accommodate the growing throngs of tourist/visitors, summer rental market kooks. (This before AirBNB.) The locals had a well understood etiquette on the boardwalk and usually did just fine among their own kind. (Then came the Segways; don't get me started.)

With all the new, very narrow, shared use paths (Multi-User Paths: MUP's) being built to answer the bicyclists' advocacy calls, will there be an enforced speed limit of 8 mph? I'm thinking Rose Canyon bike path, San Diego River Trail, Bayshore Bikeway, Coastal Rail Trail in North County and paths along the SR56, SR76, SR54 etc. If these are shared use paths, I can see speed restrictions reducing the effectiveness of these paths as viable, time efficient bike routes for commuting. If the speeds are posted at 8 mph, are there personal liability issues if a bike/scooter/skater/pedestrian collision occurs at greater speeds? City/county liability issues?

I take great exception to the Mission Valley developments. The Town and Country Hotel expansion boasts of a new river park and the proposed SD River Path for bikes. It is all a river bottom tangle of brush and brambles used by the homeless to hide among. A path might be chopped out of that mess and a MUP installed that will be used by dog walkers, joggers, strollers and homeless pushing their carts. A functional, utilitarian commuting byway it will not be. (You don't see such MUP's in Amsterdam or Copenhagen do you? NO.) It will flood badly with winter storms and meander in a labyrinth fashion being useless to commuters, forcing them up onto Friars Road. A well developed Friars Road bike facility with protected Class-IV bikeways on each side of the road is what should be worked on.

A River Path might be a nice city provided facility to the developers, an oh-so shinning gift of parkland to satisfy the clamoring of the public open spaces crowd and required land use considerations. It's really just river bottom scrub that will be off limits in order to protect the wildlife. A SANDAG 'mitigation property' that will be off limits to the public and useless as youth soccer fields, softball fields, picnic areas, playgrounds or any such true public park. All that Town and Country open space that was a 27 hole golf facility could have been turned into another Robb Field. Nope, they take paradise and put up a parking lot (resort/mixed use development.) I get that it's private property so we don't have much say.
    With the fast approaching, densely developed Mission Valley already underway, open space will be impossible to come by. I say take the stadium site and turn it into another Robb Field/Balboa Park for the public. That's another development waiting to happen with a scrawny "River Park" as a consolation prize to a Miss Congeniality SD public taxpayer. You don't have to buy what they're selling. The city already owns it!

Tear down that huge parking lot/stadium and build a public park that already has trolley access for the whole city to use. Use developer fees to pay for it. Their surrounding, very dense projects will get the most benefit. Never mind about needed road infrastructure to support the growth in traffic (please, be realistic), K-12 schools, police/fire and libraries.

It's as if the land use professionals/city planner cabal can't see the population growth they're promoting. (Of course, they do; it's the public that is willfully blind.) If SDSU or Soccer City want to build, let them buy out the car dealerships, Fashion Valley or Mission Valley retail/parking lot properties at market prices. It's not taxpayers who must forgo already paid for and valuable property as some sort of altruistic development of private stadiums/business-parks or universities in some sort of 'public good or public service'. Give me a break. SDSU using public money to take public land. What a racket. They're loaded with tons of loot, just look at the swollen admin and salaries. Next they'll run roughshod over developing Adobe Falls and to hell with the surrounding neighborhoods.

Build meaningful bike commuting facilities. Build it now, before the coming density changes, while there is still real estate to be had along the roads. It will be a great long term, inexpensive investment that will prove to have been very peseient. Build it now, before the capital costs and associated financing costs become prohibitive. Inflation is already in many sectors of the economy, it will be in all sectors soon enough. Budgets will be stressed badly if not destroyed. Cuts will be implemented in such projects and services, while servicing the debts and obligations become Herculean.

"The cops were rockin’ and rollin’. They had sets of two officers and some of them were on foot and some of them were on quads.”
    WestCoasterSD.com

Bird traps out all weekend at Mission Beach

Memorial Day scooter accidents and arrests
    By Mike Madriaga, June 1, 2018 sandiegoreader.com
    “A guy came into our store and said he got a $300 ticket,” Judy said.

“Everything that’s motorized requires a helmet,” Corey said, “and another thing is that the Bird [motorized scooters] and some of the scooters that we have here, go above the [8 mph] speed limit and that’s another cause of getting ticketed.”
    Over Memorial Day weekend, motorized scooter operators received citations from the San Diego Police Department — along some of the 3.5 mile concrete walkway that spans from South Mission Beach to North Pacific Beach and adjacent streets.

“There were Bird traps out all weekend,” Heather said. “I walked by a few, on Mission Boulevard; one in particular besides Open Bar where there’s an enclave where he (a police officer) was hiding; a lot on Garnet Avenue and Cass Street; and they were all over the boardwalk.”
    • CommentAuthort.e.d
    • CommentTimeJun 4th 2018

Old Knotty Buoy:https://media.sandiegoreader.com/img/photos/2018/06/01/cops-fb_t1000.jpg?cc6fa094ad523b984325c7879220d3883a443e7f
    "The cops were rockin’ and rollin’. They had sets of two officers and some of them were on foot and some of them were on quads.”
    WestCoasterSD.com

Bird traps out all weekend at Mission Beach

Memorial Day scooter accidents and arrests
    By Mike Madriaga, June 1, 2018 sandiegoreader.com
    “A guy came into our store and said he got a $300 ticket,” Judy said.

“Everything that’s motorized requires a helmet,” Corey said, “and another thing is that the Bird [motorized scooters] and some of the scooters that we have here, go above the [8 mph] speed limit and that’s another cause of getting ticketed.”
    Over Memorial Day weekend, motorized scooter operators received citations from the San Diego Police Department — along some of the 3.5 mile concrete walkway that spans from South Mission Beach to North Pacific Beach and adjacent streets.

“There were Bird traps out all weekend,” Heather said. “I walked by a few, on Mission Boulevard; one in particular besides Open Bar where there’s an enclave where he (a police officer) was hiding; a lot on Garnet Avenue and Cass Street; and they were all over the boardwalk.”

I'm not a big fan of the scooters. Thanks for the schadenfreude.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeJun 5th 2018

Yes, better they should use their automobiles.

Seriously? More helmet nonsense.

Note: I have yet to see a Bird scooter exceed 12mph. Maybe it's possible, but I have yet to observe it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd

How come not a single media outlet ever manages to cover the positives of the shared bike options? The positives are so powerful, so numerous, so wide-reaching and radical -- yet we allow ourselves to get bogged down in the NIMBY-reactionary-status quo agenda of helmets, age limits, and other unimportant stuff!

We seriously need to flip-flop the narrative - please post a positive article about two-wheeled shared options! These alternative and progressive transportation options need and deserve our support.
    • CommentAuthorgottobike

Bike Share Hero
    New bike-share program: bicycle to step in brighter future
    https://www.techexplorist.com/new-bike-share-program-bicycle-step-brighter-future/
    • CommentAuthorgottobike

In the photo above, who is the Bike Share Hero, white shirt, orange tie, astride the orange Spin bike?
    • CommentAuthort.e.d
    • CommentTimeJun 6th 2018

bikingbill:Yes, better they should use their automobiles.

Seriously? More helmet nonsense.

Note: I have yet to see a Bird scooter exceed 12mph. Maybe it's possible, but I have yet to observe it.

12mph is entirely too fast for a vehicle that's routinely ridden on sidewalks. Why not limit them to 7-8mph? Still faster than walking, which is apparently what these stupid scooters are supposed to replace.
    • CommentAuthorgottobike
    • CommentTimeJun 7th 2018