Not signed in (Sign In)
    • CommentAuthorsynthetic
    • CommentTimeSep 19th 2013 edited

As seen in recent community meetings, the uptown planning group and businesses are against pro cycling infrastructure and cyclists in general; yet the actual community of residents are for it.

I am asking for the help of our fellow cyclists to take this district on, and show that there are pro bike businesses.

I ask to please help spread the volunteer run, non profit sdbikecommuter discount program. This is difficult for only me and lisi to do.

I have some ideal targets in mind, and have been turned down, but consistency in asking can help...

Fig Tree Cafe, Local Habit, Salt & Clever, Bread & Cie, Whole Foods, Burger Lounge, Ichibahn, WIne steals, 100 bottles, Snooze, baby cakes

The idea is to have local businesses, if not at least sustainable or hand made products. We ask a one time payment of 50$ that goes to the wooden sign and funding of this site.

Any other recommendations are welcome, I also only have 3 signs left so if anyone knows a good sign maker (the original company folded)

please contact us at sdbikecommuterdiscount@gmail.com
    • CommentAuthorYash
    • CommentTimeSep 19th 2013

It would be great to get one of the Middletown businesses to participate! Perhaps this can encourage their neighbors on "International Restaurant Row" with positive results. I'll bring it up with every merchant in that area next time I'm there (starting with Regal Beagle of course) and will direct them to the bottom of the SD bike commuter discounts page.

It appears that a full court press will be required to win over hearts, minds and cash registers in Middletown. I wish I had time to pursue a strategy for park(ing) day this year to bring some direct bike/ped traffic to a part of town that, as I see it, is in an abusive relationship with the 5 freeway. I feel very strongly that bike infrastructure can reinvigorate and reconnect that area between Old Town, New Town, and Uptown in a more cohesive way.

And as for that great variable on the horizon - DecoBike could be a great boon to these merchants and the discount program - a real "synergistic" effect, No?
    • CommentAuthorsynthetic

Yash:It would be great to get one of the Middletown businesses to participate! Perhaps this can encourage their neighbors on "International Restaurant Row" with positive results. I'll bring it up with every merchant in that area next time I'm there (starting with Regal Beagle of course) and will direct them to the bottom of the SD bike commuter discounts page.

It appears that a full court press will be required to win over hearts, minds and cash registers in Middletown. I wish I had time to pursue a strategy for park(ing) day this year to bring some direct bike/ped traffic to a part of town that, as I see it, is in an abusive relationship with the 5 freeway. I feel very strongly that bike infrastructure can reinvigorate and reconnect that area between Old Town, New Town, and Uptown in a more cohesive way.

And as for that great variable on the horizon - DecoBike could be a great boon to these merchants and the discount program - a real "synergistic" effect, No?

Ahh great suggestions. Basically the uptown plan by SANDAG indeed is to connect all 3 of those communities, which the uptown committee was against. It is important to attend your community planning groups... it could be just a small group of people deciding for thousands of people.
    • CommentAuthorYash

It seems that opposition to the plan came from certain members of the Uptown Planners CPG holding to a belief that reapportioned motor vehicle infrastructure in favor of improved bicycle facilities would result in a net loss of patronage at their respective businesses. I think that this presents a great opportunity for the bike discount program to help associate customers with their preferred mode of travel, in spite of its dangerously-deficient facilities. Hopefully this leads to the realization that improved roads will make these destinations more accessible for a growing segment of the population.

I don't mean to hijack this thread, if this conversation is happening elsewhere I'd love to take part. I just want to add that I don't believe greater attendance at the CPG meeting would have changed minds, this was a room full of very tightly held to assumptions and conclusions. That said, how can we frame the conversation to highlight the improvements that we all see will result from this project? It appears the North Park CPG understands the advantage of improved bike facilities to the community...
    • CommentAuthorsynthetic
    • CommentTimeSep 20th 2013

Yash:It seems that opposition to the plan came from certain members of the Uptown Planners CPG holding to a belief that reapportioned motor vehicle infrastructure in favor of improved bicycle facilities would result in a net loss of patronage at their respective businesses. I think that this presents a great opportunity for the bike discount program to help associate customers with their preferred mode of travel, in spite of its dangerously-deficient facilities. Hopefully this leads to the realization that improved roads will make these destinations more accessible for a growing segment of the population.

I don't mean to hijack this thread, if this conversation is happening elsewhere I'd love to take part. I just want to add that I don't believe greater attendance at the CPG meeting would have changed minds, this was a room full of very tightly held to assumptions and conclusions. That said, how can we frame the conversation to highlight the improvements that we all see will result from this project? It appears the North Park CPG understands the advantage of improved bike facilities to the community...

yes you are correct that the number of people didnt matter.... during the meeting, Kevin of SDCBC asked everyone in the room to stand up if they are for the bike project. 95% stood up in a room of nearly 100.... so much for democracy. So this proposition I ask for, is hopefully a new gateway to send the message across of what the people AND businesses want.
    •  
      CommentAuthorGeoff
    • CommentTimeSep 26th 2013

Has anyone asked at any of the Strauss restaurants? I've gotten some traction with asking about bike parking at the downtown location, and been told they're asking the city. Maybe a good candidate for the Commuter program, too.
    • CommentAuthorsynthetic
    • CommentTimeSep 26th 2013

I personally have not, so its your for the taking!
    • CommentAuthorStephan
    • CommentTimeSep 29th 2013

The Hillcrest Business Improvement Association is one of the Bike Friendly Business Districts that SDCBC helped establish, but I can't say how much they have embraced the designation and acted on it. In any case, it shows that despite what the community planning group says or does, there are other elements in the community that are supportive of bicycling.
    • CommentAuthorStephan

The Hillcrest Business Improvement Association is one of the Bike Friendly Business Districts that SDCBC helped establish, but I can't say how much they have embraced the designation and acted on it. In any case, it shows that despite what the community planning group says or does, there are other elements in the community that are supportive of bicycling.
    • CommentAuthorStephan

• CommentAuthorStephan

• CommentAuthorsynthetic
    • CommentTimeSep 30th 2013

Stephan:The Hillcrest Business Improvement Association is one of the Bike Friendly Business Districts that SDCBC helped establish, but I can't say how much they have embraced the designation and acted on it. In any case, it shows that despite what the community planning group says or does, there are other elements in the community that are supportive of bicycling.

how long ago was that... seems like the parking lobbyists are the ones with voices.
    • CommentAuthorStephan
    • CommentTimeSep 30th 2013

synthetic:
    Stephan:The Hillcrest Business Improvement Association is one of the Bike Friendly Business Districts that SDCBC helped establish, but I can't say how much they have embraced the designation and acted on it. In any case, it shows that despite what the community planning group says or does, there are other elements in the community that are supportive of bicycling.

how long ago was that... seems like the parking lobbyists are the ones with voices.

I think the BFBDs have been around at least a year. The people concerned about parking are speaking out now, but they aren't the only ones showing up. When the critical time comes, we'll rally the broad support that is in the community, including those businesses that get it, to give courage to the elected officials to make the right decision.