Not signed in (Sign In)
    • CommentAuthorVeloCafé
    • CommentTimeOct 1st 2013

Starting this thread as a go to place to have discussions on elected officials and candidates for office instead of taking other threads too off-topic.

To pick up where we left off ... it is not naive to throw away votes on a no-hoper. There is no such thing as throwing away a vote - every vote does count and does matter - too many people take the privilege to vote for granted. The ONLY reason you should vote for someone IS because you agree with their platform or personal lifestyle the most. If you are voting just because they're popular and likely to win then you've probably watched too much American Idol. I'll be damned if I'm going to let whoever has the fattest wallet (subsequently more likely to win) be a deciding factor in my vote. A lot of people considered President Obama a "no-hoper" against the Clinton machine so don't count David Alvarez out for that.

That said, let the discussions on candidates and their bicycling cred begin!

Here's an upcoming series with the candidates through the Livable Streets Coalition. I encourage y'all to get out and listen to what they have to say.

photo 812421672_zps815de719.jpg

I haven't heard much about the Pho King candidate, Bruce Coons. Well his talk is actually behind the Pho King restaurant - someone just had to get the Pho King reference in there. I hope his ideas for the city aren't as bad the Pho King name. Ok, I'll stop with the Pho King references and let the debate on candidates begin.
    • CommentAuthorVeloCafé
    • CommentTimeOct 1st 2013

I wonder if seating for the Pho King event will be provided by the Sofa King. This is Sofa King easy. I need to stop.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeOct 1st 2013 edited

I'm always for getting behind Pho King at every opportunity.
    • CommentAuthorJSnook
    • CommentTimeOct 3rd 2013

From what I understand Fletcher and Alvarez both ride. I didn't know about Alvarez until recently, but Fletcher was pro-cycling when he ran the last time, so he has a demonstrated track record. I would never vote on a mayoral candidate based on which was more of a hardcore cyclist or commuter vs recreational or whatever this board considers "cred" - if they were pro-cyclist before then I would not discount them. Ultimately who I would vote for would come down to other factors, given a choice between multiple candidates that were pro-cyclist. Until someone runs on a platform of digging up the suicide lane on Adams to reinstate the trolley, eliminating a shitload of parking to make bike lanes and all sorts of other non-starters I don't see any "protest vote" in my future.
    •  
      CommentAuthorGeoff
    • CommentTimeOct 3rd 2013

If you get to any of those events, you could ask them about how they would support the San Diego Historic Streetcars project group. I don't know much about them myself, but the idea is cool. There are more practical solutions for transportation, but as a novelty/business-district gimmick, they're okay.
    • CommentAuthorHMeins
    • CommentTimeOct 4th 2013 edited

Many of you may be too young to remember the most significant recent example of the Democrats losing an election due to a split vote. In 2000 no-hoper Ralph Nader took enough votes away from Gore to solidify the Republican victory of George W. Bush. I don't have to remind anyone of the terrible consequences that followed.

My hope for the coming mayoral election in San Diego is that the latest actions of the Republican Party in continuing to re-fight the results of a lost election and holding the U.S. economy (and by extension the world economy) hostage will prevent another Republican victory for the foreseeable future, or at least until the U.S. public with its short attention span forgets about it.

I admire the youthful idealism that motivates a vote for the most appealing candidate, but experience dictates a more pragmatic approach.
    •  
      CommentAuthorGeoff
    • CommentTimeOct 5th 2013

False equivocation. Nader's campaign had negligible effects on the 2000 presidential vote - more important were Gore losing his home state and an astonishing number of Democrats in Florida voting for Bush (not Nader). This says nothing of the shenanigans involved in the Florida recount process. Gore was a Green Party candidate, and had no significant portion of Democrat over Republican-identified supporters.

California (city and county) politics have a history of non-partisanship that defies two-party analysis. Moreover, splitting the vote two ways in a three-way election makes it more likely that a run-off will occur. The deciding factor will be if the bottom third will join or defect from the splitting member. While too soon to tell whether any candidate has enough advantage to not need a run-off, forecast polling shows no one above 30 percent.

Stop worrying. Meet the candidates.
    • CommentAuthorHMeins
    • CommentTimeOct 8th 2013 edited

Papa Doc Manchester's new boy is Faulconer, no surprise. He'll set San Diego back 20 years. Fascists almost always win in San Diego, and when they don't, they find other ways of getting even.

The anti-Fletcher editorials appear almost daily. Apparently Manchester recognizes Fletcher as Faulconer's most potent threat. So far, no hit pieces on Aguirre or Álvarez.
    •  
      CommentAuthormarkphilips
    • CommentTimeOct 8th 2013 edited

Pertinent. It is not about the bike but improving the quality of life. We know politicians like big infrastructure projects associated with their name. It is time for them to recognize the next big infrastrucure project (monument) is bicycle infrastructure.

•  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeOct 16th 2013

Geoff:False equivocation. Nader's campaign had negligible effects on the 2000 presidential vote - more important were Gore losing his home state and an astonishing number of Democrats in Florida voting for Bush (not Nader). This says nothing of the shenanigans involved in the Florida recount process. Gore was a Green Party candidate, and had no significant portion of Democrat over Republican-identified supporters.

I will respectfully disagree and not post the numbers.
    • CommentAuthorVeloCafé
    • CommentTimeOct 18th 2013

bikingbill:
    Geoff:False equivocation. Nader's campaign had negligible effects on the 2000 presidential vote - more important were Gore losing his home state and an astonishing number of Democrats in Florida voting for Bush (not Nader). This says nothing of the shenanigans involved in the Florida recount process. Gore was a Green Party candidate, and had no significant portion of Democrat over Republican-identified supporters.

False equivocation being an electoral college victory vs popular vote. Post those numbers.
    • CommentAuthorHMeins
    • CommentTimeOct 22nd 2013

•  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeOct 26th 2013

VeloCafé:
    bikingbill:

False equivocation being an electoral college victory vs popular vote. Post those numbers.

Federal official vote for the state of Florida (25 electoral votes)

George W. Bush - 2,912,790
    Al Gore - 2,912,253
    Ralph Nader - 97,488

I've heard the arguments about this. I think the numbers speak for themselves.
    • CommentAuthorHMeins
    • CommentTimeOct 28th 2013

I never argue. "Only the lost argue."
    --Oscar Wilde
    • CommentAuthorHMeins
    • CommentTimeOct 29th 2013

Faulconer chickened out on the CAS bike ride from SF to SD he had planned with Asst. SDPD Chief Shelley Zimmerman. He ostensibly had to work on his mayoral campaign. What a pandering fascist pansy!
    •  
      CommentAuthorGeoff

HMeins:What a pandering fascist pansy!

• CommentAuthorStephan

HMeins:What a pandering fascist pansy!

I'm disappointed to read this kind of name-calling on this forum. I'm not voting for Councilman Faulconer, but I have worked with him directly and benefited from his support in developing bikeway projects. I can assure you he is neither a fascist nor a pansy. Let's shoot for more thoughtful criticism here.

I'll concede that a certain amount of pandering is inevitable in politics.
    • CommentAuthorHMeins
    • CommentTimeOct 30th 2013

After what the Republicans just finished doing in Washington, the proper language to describe them isn't appropriate for this or any other medium. Don't start political threads and expect people to pull their punches. How's that for alliteration?

Another hit piece editorial attacking Fletcher ran in the B section of yesterday's U-T. It's clear who the downtown old boy network is most afraid of.

Here's some thoughtful criticism:

Years of begging District 2 for a clean up of the bum camps in and around the Class I bike paths have gone nowhere. Years of requests to make the surface of Mission Blvd. safe for cyclists (and even safe for motorcyclists) have been rebuffed. My experience with Faulconer's office leads me to believe that he wants to talk the talk, but won't walk the walk. With few exceptions (the Rose Creek Bridge, for example) District 2 has shown little interest in improving conditions for cycling in an area heavily used by cyclists. Why should I believe Faulconer is going to be any different as mayor? We've already seen the heavy handed social cleansing of the beaches citywide (and by extension countywide) championed by Faulconer and fellow 1%er, rich guy Scott Peters. Faulconer is beholden to big business and developers who want to continue with business as usual and dominate the political process. FDR warned in 1937 about allowing private industry (corporations) to have undue control of government, equating control of government by private interests with fascism.

The recent brinksmanship in DC has proven once again that the time for compromise with the Right is over. Protest is not enough. We can't continue to "talk about the weather." It is time for active resistance and direct action.
    •  
      CommentAuthorGeoff
    • CommentTimeOct 30th 2013

equating control of government by private interests with fascism.

Fascism was a hot topic in those days, so I think your analogy is a little dated. And it tips the scales in invoking Godwin's Law, too.

After what the Republicans just finished doing in Washington

Easy, partner. Local government politics in California isn't quite so firm on party lines, and health care/debt/sequestration/shutdown issues aren't really pertinent to San Diego local governance or bike advocacy. I don't think any of the mayoral candidates are running on the delusional platform of claiming the shutdown was good for America and we need to cut social safety nets for austerity.

Like Stephan, I already have a different candidate to support, so I'm not into this for saving Faulconer's face. He is also correct that this forum is a little different from other places on the 'net, and team-sport political party ad hominem attacks are best saved for comment threads at the UT. As an aside, calls for "active resistance" and "direct action" sounds a little closer to what your alluded 1937 straw men would do.

You post (some) information that paints a broader picture of one candidate (in a negative light), but you negate your credibility when you use hyperbolic vitriol. That's called "mud-slinging" and it rarely convinces unlike-minded people that your point of view is correct or desirable. You would probably see more success if you focused on positive things related to how your selected candidate is building cities for people, rather than mounting counterattacks against "ze enemy." After all, chances are on this forum you're already preaching to the choir, so they don't need to be told who the good guys and bad guys are. No one here is fighting you, so no punches (pulled or otherwise) are really necessary.
    • CommentAuthorStephan
    • CommentTimeNov 5th 2013

Nathan Fletcher has released his proposal for a more bike friendly San Diego. See it here.
    • CommentAuthorHMeins
    • CommentTimeNov 6th 2013 edited

I don't endorse a candidate. I keep my votes confidential. If fascism is a "dated" concept, then kindly account for our present plutocracy in which private moneyed interest controls the government. That is the definition of fascism according to FDR, whose socially progressive policies might seem "outdated."

The most recent and extreme example of this is the NSA's use of private contractors like Strategic Forecasting, Inc. to do the illegal dirty work that would land a government agency in hot water if uncovered. Corporate rule is forcing overzealous and draconian prosecution of violations of federal law enacted before the supremacy of the internet. Whistleblowers like Jeremy Hammond who hacked into the StratFor databases and exposed criminal activity sanctioned by the NSA face decades in prison. Meanwhile, real war criminals like Cheney and Bush will likely cheat the hangman like their dear friend and colleague General Augusto Pinochet did in Chile.

"Fascism" is a loaded term to be sure, but what euphemistically correct title would you suggest for this rigged system?
    • CommentAuthorerik
    • CommentTimeNov 6th 2013

HMeins:
    "Fascism" is a loaded term to be sure, but what euphemistically correct title would you suggest for this rigged system?

Fascism denotes a hyper-nationalistic, totalitarian movement, often with tones of racial or cultural inequality. If you wish to refer to corruption in government, I would think you are better off with the far less sexy, but more easily interpretable, "corruption".

Of course, in reference to the original use in this thread, failing to live up to an agreement with an official of the established police force with be counter to there general applications of fascist believe. Most fascist regimes gave significant power to police forces, to the point of blurring the lines between the ruling officials and the enforcers of law.

Besides, nothing sounds more like democracy than taking time out of your life to work on a campaign for a popularly elected office...
    • CommentAuthorHMeins

If New Deal social reforms (which include Social Security) are "dated," perhaps the comparatively recent Civil Rights Movement can serve as a metaphor, however strained, for the struggle to include cyclists on public streets. Two potent quotes follow from opposing viewpoints, the passive resistance advocated by Martin Luther King, Jr. and the militancy urged by Malcolm X, the Nation of Islam, and the Panthers.

"I must confess that I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's greatest stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Councilor or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to 'order' than to justice, who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice.... We will have to repent in this generation not merely the vitriolic words and actions of the bad people, but for the appalling silence of the good people."

--Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. ("Letter from Birmingham City Jail")

“There is no more neutrality in the world. You either have to be part of the solution, or you’re going to be part of the problem– there ain’t no more middle ground.”

--Eldridge Cleaver

The last decade of failed foreign and domestic policy has rekindled the latent revolutionary zeal I felt at the end of the Viet Nam era and into my student activist days at the University in Heidelberg. Understanding the struggle for social justice from a historical perspective is vital to any kind of contemporary progressive movement.
    • CommentAuthorHMeins

Now that we have codified and defined terms, and outlined our personal political manifestos, how can we come together and organize to make sure we don't lose the momentum gained in local cycling advocacy over the past couple of years? I am concerned that if new life is breathed into the moribund downtown old boy network, cyclists may lose their hard fought place at the bargaining table in favor of developers and car centric planners.
    •  
      CommentAuthorGeoff

how can we come together and organize to make sure we don't lose the momentum gained in local cycling advocacy over the past couple of years?

Encourage more people to sign up for bike-related advocacy groups that are legally entitled to lobby government officials and endorse political candidates. Such a group can exert influence by highlighting their membership (number of voters), and can undertake more activities via increased operating funds brought about by dues and donations.

I think such an organization exists in San Diego. Start signing people up.
    • CommentAuthorHMeins

"Legally entitled." Somehow that makes my hair stand on end. I'd rather be part of an Extra Parliamentary Opposition. How's "EPO" for an anagram? The West Germans formed the "Außer Parliamentarische Opposition" (APO) when government failed to listen to their concerns.

I think BikeSD has accomplished more in just a few short years than other local advocacy groups with less of a commitment to quasi-militancy. It's okay to appear behind logo adorned lecterns with politicians, but boots on the ground is what is needed to gain popular attention.

I'm a writer, so I write sharp words with the goal of being incisive. This can often cut both ways and I regret any personal grief I've caused anyone in the process. I also realize that words without action ring hollow.

I just signed up myself and my wife with BikeSD. I'll be encouraging others to do the same while continuing to foment revolution from outside the system.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeNov 7th 2013

Stephan:Nathan Fletcher has released his proposal for a more bike friendly San Diego. See it here.
    It's great that he has a formalized his bike agenda in this report: All politicians should be exptected to.

However, he does need to get a better proofreader.
    • CommentAuthorgottobike
    • CommentTimeNov 17th 2013

November 19, 2013
    CITY OF SAN DIEGO SPECIAL MUNICIPAL ELECTION
    http://www.sdcounty.ca.gov/voters/Eng/rov_highlights.shtml
    Polls are open 7AM-8PM.
    • CommentAuthorSam
    • CommentTimeNov 17th 2013

Press release from the bike plan vision by Fletcher:

http://www.kusi.com/video?clipId=9495983&autostart=true
    • CommentAuthorHMeins
    • CommentTimeNov 18th 2013

Center in the photo collage is an image of Jackie Price Dunn, who died as a result of a traumatic head injury suffered during unsanctioned racing at the San Diego Velodrome last spring. I don't see what this death has to do with making streets safer for cyclists in San Diego. I find the use of this image in this context disturbing and in extremely poor taste. I'd like to know who is responsible for creating this visual.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSmorg

I guess whoever made the collage just searched for fotos of San Diegans died in 'bike crash' this year and didn't read long enough to realized that she died during a race at the velodrome instead of on the street (or maybe the collage was made for another event not as specific as this one and they didn't check before deciding to reuse it)?
    • CommentAuthorHMeins

I rather think there's more to it than that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPaul

That collage and ghost bike were part of a neighborhood Dia de los Muerto altar dedicated to recently lost cyclists. A lot of context is lost in a one minute clip.
    • CommentAuthorSam

Paul:That collage and ghost bike were part of a neighborhood Dia de los Muerto altar dedicated to recently lost cyclists. A lot of context is lost in a one minute clip.

It was an effort by Jinna of Thomas Bike.Nothing nefarious
    A handy summary of the 4 top mayoral candidates and how they differ. Election is Tuesday everyone!

http://voiceofsandiego.org/2013/11/18/the-mayoral-candidate-scorecard-2/
    •  
      CommentAuthorSmorg
    • CommentTimeNov 18th 2013 edited

HMeins:I rather think there's more to it than that.

Would you really rather? A lot of time when people do things that don't rub you quite right they don't have ulterior motive behind it. Better off keeping an open mind than to always assume the worst. You'll live a lot happier.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPaul

Sam:
    Paul:That collage and ghost bike were part of a neighborhood Dia de los Muerto altar dedicated to recently lost cyclists. A lot of context is lost in a one minute clip.

It was an effort by Jinna of Thomas Bike.Nothing nefarious

Yes. Let's relax.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd

HMeins:...disturbing and in extremely poor taste...
    I have no idea what is alluded to, and neither am I interested in finding out.

Instead of getting bogged down in minutiae details that I suspect are arising from unresolved personal differences, let's move on to what is important - making our roads safer for all users.
    • CommentAuthorHMeins

Thank you for the encouragement! Further research shows that another of the deceased cyclists featured in that collage was Chris "Cono" Contreras who died in a criterium (course closed to traffic) in Dominguez Hills earlier this year. If this were really about cyclists killed by drivers on San Diego streets, then what was on display was a misrepresentation and completely inappropriate for inclusion in this news story.

I always appreciate the life lessons advice from young people who have seen and know it all. I wish I were still so young and omniscient!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd

The identity of the faces on the poster board is insignificant compared to the overall message about road safety improvement - is that so hard to comprehend?

HMeins: I'd like to know who is responsible for creating this visual.
    And why don't you instead direct your rants at the company that broadcast the content you object to - KUSI?

HMeins:I always appreciate the life lessons advice from young people...
    PS: I wonder who these "young people" are who you so condescendingly refer to - presumably, it is neither Paul nor me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPaul

The altar and ghost bike were created for the Day of the Dead South Park Walkabout. It honored many indiviuals in the Southern California cycling scene who perished during the the past few years. A lot of people stopped by and talked about it and learned about these people and their lives. It was an appropriate memorial. I was able to engage even more people about it while handing out candy at Thomas Bikes on Halloween. It was educational and dignified.

The clip does not show the context in which it was presented. I'm sure Jinna explained it but it wasn't relevant to the editor of the clip.

There are well-known disagreements regarding personalities involved in the SDVA. I'm not sure this is the place for the blowback. Actually, I'm sure it isn't.

Thanks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd

Paul:There are well-known disagreements regarding personalities involved in the SDVA. I'm not sure this is the place for the blowback. Actually, I'm sure it isn't.
    You got it right the second time. :)
    • CommentAuthorSam

Sigurd:The identity of the faces on the poster board is insignificant compared to the overall message about road safety improvement - is that so hard to comprehend?

Fletcher is aware of the huge wall we have to climb in our second year of advocacy in terms of the negotiations needed to deal with Caltrans in fixing the ramps around San Diego. Fletcher picked the spot because he was touched by the story of David Ortiz and the ghost bike communicated very quickly what the message was - it was the road design that needs drastic changes. Paul talks about how that picture came into place and Sigurd is right on the money in terms of the overall message. Remember: perfect is the enemy of the good. The ramp at Balboa Ave was indicative of incredible challenges that lie ahead (paint and green lanes is only going to do so much). Fletcher's history has been about building bridges and support with differing groups. Caltrans has been less than friendly to the bicycling cause and if a candidate for mayor is willing to take a lead on this, we can make so many gains.

I'm not in this advocacy alone and could use your support in the form of a vote tomorrow.

Outside of the election, BikeSD has been working on getting the policies in place to ensure that these deadly ramps get fixed and fixed soon. We're also actively involved in ensuring the list of ramps (listed on a separate thread) get into the Capital Improvement Process so that they get into the funding stream.
    • CommentAuthorHMeins
    • CommentTimeNov 20th 2013

We're screwed, just as I had predicted. Thanks, Democrats, for throwing the election to right wing developers. Faulconer will undo all the progress we have made over the past couple of years.
    HMeins:We're screwed, just as I had predicted. Thanks, Democrats, for throwing the election to right wing developers. Faulconer will undo all the progress we have made over the past couple of years.

That might be a bit hasty. Faulconer won in a 3-horse race, but that doesn't necessarily mean he'll win again in a 2-horse race. Also, Faulconer does actually have a plan to fix up the roads which gives the city an opportunity to re-stripe and/or re-configure certain streets. I don't recall hearing or reading anything about Faulconer where he specifically said he'll do anything that negatively affects bicycling. Now, with that said, I still think Alvarez will do more for bicycling (and transit in general).
    • CommentAuthorHMeins
    • CommentTimeNov 22nd 2013 edited

Look at Faulconer's record in District 2. A tiger can't be expected to change its stripes. Faulconer, like a true Republican, is beholden to downtown developer interests. I don't expect him to come out and vilify the cycling community directly. That would not be politically expedient. Endorsed by fellow Republican Jerry Sanders, I anticipate a return to the stonewalling of the Sanders administration. This policy of ignoring the needs of commuter cyclists can be seen quite clearly in the inaction of Republican Lorie Zapf in District 6. Unless Alvarez can pull a rabbit out of his hat in the runoff, I fear we are headed back toward business as usual for the downtown old boy network championed daily in the U-T by Papa Doc Manchester and his henchman Lynch. I am disappointed that it has come down once again to a referendum on labor vs. business. The dirty politics practiced by both Faulconer and Alvarez in the primary left a foul aftertaste.

"The curves of callousness and stupidity intersect at their respective maxima.”

--Charles L. Black, Professor of Law, Yale University
    •  
      CommentAuthorHans
    • CommentTimeNov 22nd 2013 edited

HMeins:We're screwed, just as I had predicted. Thanks, Democrats, for throwing the election to right wing developers. Faulconer will undo all the progress we have made over the past couple of years.

I see it as the people of San Diego just spent $4,700,000 to find out what candidate will run against Faulconer. The Democrats received more votes than Republicans. Fletcher/Alvarez received 49.89% to Faulconers 43.58%
    Possibly you should wonder how that rabbit is going to get those votes to Alvarez?
    • CommentAuthorHMeins
    • CommentTimeNov 24th 2013

Both Álvarez and Faulconer are guilty of dirty politics. It's only a matter of time until they turn on each other ferociously. As disappointed as I am in his nasty partisan political practices, I hope that Álvarez can use the Democratic vote to his advantage. He's the last best hope of the local cycling community. Papa Doc Manchester and the downtown old boy network will support Faulconer with the full apparatus of a monopoly press. It's going to be business vs. labor, rich vs. the rest of us with Interstate 8 as the battle line. Each side will try to spin its platform for cross over appeal.
    • CommentAuthorsynthetic
    • CommentTimeDec 6th 2013

What is alvarez guilty of?

Anyways, SDCBC has sided with one of the candidates, Faulconer - who is to release a bicycle plan. I dont know how I feel about this. I wonder who BikeSD is siding with? It seems they liked fletcher..
    • CommentAuthorStephan
    • CommentTimeDec 6th 2013

synthetic:What is alvarez guilty of?

Anyways, SDCBC has sided with one of the candidates, Faulconer - who is to release a bicycle plan. I dont know how I feel about this. I wonder who BikeSD is siding with? It seems they liked fletcher..

The Bicycle Coalition does not endorse candidates. It can't under its non-profit status. Faulconer asked the Coalition to participate in a press event in support of adopting the City's Bicycle Master Plan, and since the Coalition has been urging the City to adopt the plan, it agreed to participate. The Coalition also is participating in a ride from Alvarez's house to City Hall on Monday morning, also in support of the bike plan. Learn more about the ride and how you can support the bike plan here.