Not signed in (Sign In)
    • CommentAuthorIra Kinro
    • CommentTimeOct 28th 2013

Hi there, I know a single mom whose bike was stolen. She's a grad student, so she doesn't have the money to replace it, but she really needs it for transportation. I created a GoFundMe campaign to try to help her out.
    [[_linker_]]
    Please help. Thanks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeOct 29th 2013

status=notfound

I'd really like to do this. Link doesn't work.
    • CommentAuthormfutch

$2k seems a bit much to replace a stolen bicycle for transportation
    • CommentAuthorsynthetic

any why must it be new. this a nigerian scam?
    • CommentAuthormfutch

More likely to get participation if it was run through a shop, rather than just handing some guy 2 grand.
    • CommentAuthorIra Kinro
    • CommentTimeOct 31st 2013

bill, sorry the link didn't work. it's gofundme dot com slash 50a5f4

mfutch i set the goal a little high. it doesn't need to get there. I'll let it go for maybe a week or two and do the best I can with what I have.

synthetic, new is not a must. i'm definitely not in nigeria. lol

Nothing against a bike shop doing this, but I started the crowd funding campaign because I didn't notice anyone else trying to help my friend. I posted it here and on another cycling board just as a little extra reaching out for help. Mostly, this is going around facebook and other social networking sites. It's going pretty well so far. Most of the donors are not strangers, but some are, and that's pretty cool to see.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHans
    • CommentTimeOct 31st 2013

I must be missing something here. This bike has a rack, fenders, internal 8spd hub, lights, AND is in Portland already. $300.

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/bik/4163281616.html
    I see child seats anywhere from free to $50 all the time in San Diego.
    Best wishes for your friend.
    • CommentAuthorIra Kinro
    • CommentTimeNov 1st 2013

Hans, thanks. I'll forward that to her. Looks like it might work. We're approximately one donation away from that price.