Not signed in (Sign In)
    • CommentAuthoreddyhall
    • CommentTimeMar 13th 2014

Hello everyone,

I am coming over to San Diego from Bristol, England, for all of April. It's a kind of work slash holiday trip with the rest of my family.

I will be staying in La Jolla and commuting about 13km each way. I don't want to drive as we will only have 1 car rental and I would rather get some fresh air anyway. In the UK I ride a Battaglin S11 and I am looking to ride something similar whilst I am over.

Now for the question: can anyone advise me the best way to get a bike for only 1 month?

My options might be:
    - rent (about $85 per week, not cheap)
    - buy and sell (good plan, but perhaps a little bit too much hassle)
    - borrow (I would not know where to start!)

Any other suggestions?

Cheers,
    Eddy
    •  
      CommentAuthorHans

Eddy- What size frame are you looking for? The "buy and sell" approach also works well, as good deals appear on Craigslist (http://sandiego.craigslist.org/bia/) and beeing a year-'round bicycling area, bikes sell fast. This is the route I choose, when traveling the 'States. Best of luck to you!
    • CommentAuthoreddyhall

Thank you, Hans,

I would be looking at something large-ish; I am 6 foot. I ride things between 56" and 58" over here.

I shall check out Craigslist and eBay.
    cheers,
    Eddy
    Spinlister.
    • CommentAuthoreddyhall

Thank you for the suggestion, Mark.

Sadly the Spinlister rental rates are pretty steep. I can't see a ride for under $100 per week, for which price I could get a professional rental. Plus for $400 I could practically rent a second car, or buy a cheap bike and give it to charity at the end out our trip.
    • CommentAuthorShady John

I agree with Hans: Craigslist. Ebay is not practical for this situation. Another option for purchase, if you can wait until April 6: The Balboa Park Velodrome Swap Meet.

If you can squeeze yourself onto a 54 cm cyclocross bike with 40 cm-ish bars and 170 mm cranks, you're welcome to borrow mine. Motobecane Fantom, so yellow you need to wear shades, definitely nothing special, but it rides and shifts well. I spent less on this bike than you would spend on a 1 week rental, so the stakes are low.
    • CommentAuthoreddyhall
    • CommentTimeMar 14th 2014

Thank you, John! That's a very kind offer indeed!

I am cruising around Craigslist, just to see if anything nice pops up in the $300 range to buy, ride & sell. I would MUCH rather rent or borrow, though, as I would likely get something pretty ropey for that kind of money...
    •  
      CommentAuthorHans

If you go the Craigslist route, any one of a number of us (including myself)could sell the bike for you after you leave and send you the cash, to make it easier. Very honorable group here!
    • CommentAuthoreddyhall

You know, I'm getting that feeling, Hans, from the type of responses here.

For example, in the Buy/Sell/Trade thread this amazing guy called Hans is offering a bike loan to someone's friend and the bike is too small for him - he bought it specifically to get other people on bikes. Would you believe it?

I think that my first choice option would be to see if anyone on this forum would rent me a bike for the duration of my stay. I will start a new thread asking who would be able to loan me a road bike with 56-58cm frame with integrated shifters for April for a consideration of about $125.

Cheers,
    Eddy
    • CommentAuthorsynthetic

sti shifters now you are being real picky!

Craigslist has best deals and its good to recycle first,...

Next option is the denali bike sold at wamart for 170 its a road bike but with bar twist shifters
    • CommentAuthoreddyhall

Well, I have only ever ridden road bikes with sti shifters, and when riding unfamiliar roads in heavy traffic, on the wrong side of the road for me I don't want to be getting used to down tube shifters.

The Denali looks like my kind of thing for what will be about 500km total over the month. Thank you for pointing it out, Synthetic.
    • CommentAuthormfutch
    • CommentTimeMar 17th 2014

Ignore the ridiculous comment about being picky. You have every right to look for the type of bike that you feel comfortable on and will enjoy riding. I would steer you away from considering anything coming out of Wal-Mart, if something goes wrong the time and hassle it takes to replace it via warranty will be a pain. There are some bike shops like pedal pushers and North Park bikes that have decent used bikes for cheap plus they will stand behind their bikes and they will have resale value after a month - the GMC bike (seriously, how did someone here recommend a bike made by a car company sold at Wal-Mart) will get you $50 on the resale market if you are lucky.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbatmick
    • CommentTimeMar 17th 2014

I agree with mfutch on this one. Stay away from the Wally-bikes. A couple of people here at work made that mistake and they all regret it.

Keep checking CL and other local listings. This one listed today for example http://sandiego.craigslist.org/esd/bik/4379047452.html

A bike like that you can easily sell again for about what it will cost you. And people here (including me) would be happy to help. If something comes up in my neck of the woods (North County) that you are interested in, let me know. I can check it out for you. Worked in a bike store for over 10 years so I have an eye for it.
    Eddy, have you checked out Stay Classy Bike Rental?
    http://stayclassybikes.com/

We rented from them once and had a good experience. Rented 2 bikes for a week. They delivered, picked up, and even came out to fix a repair (not their fault). Give them a call and see if they can cut you a deal on a monthly rate. Good luck!

And don't forget, in the US, you ride on the right hand side of the street :) All joking aside, be careful at intersections since all the cars turn "the wrong way" compared to what you're used to.
    • CommentAuthoreddyhall
    • CommentTimeMar 20th 2014

Thank you deprotinator, I'm sure that Stay Classy would be wonderful, but I think that even with a healthy discount we would still be looking at $300 for a month.

Thank you mfutch and batmick, I guess I was clutching at straws with the Walmart bike. Having read a little about ti, it seemed very prone to self-inflicted punctures. Not ideal for me.

I think that I have settled on doing a CL buy-sell. I have been poring over the lists trying to find good quality STI-shifters. There are about 1 or 2 popping up a day, which is reassuring. batmick, Hans, you offers to help me sell the bike are amazing and very well received! I may call on this forum's helpfulness once i get closer to the end of my stay.

W.r.t. buying the bike, I will either wait until I am out there and drive to a few on my first day, or if something special pops up I may make a thread asking for experienced help and eyes.

Thank you all very much!
    On to my next thread, routes and directions :-)
    Eddy
    Saw this just now. Does this fit the bill? It's not stolen is it?

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/ssd/bik/4381271596.html
    • CommentAuthoreddyhall
    • CommentTimeMar 21st 2014

Thanks, deprotinator, it would definately fit the bill.

I am curently talking to the sellers of this and this.

I won't be in SD until 2 weeks from now, so I am not proposing to buy anything unseen yet.

Cheers,
    Eddy
    • CommentAuthoreddyhall
    • CommentTimeApr 7th 2014

Thanks all for your suggestions and offers of help.

I am now in San Diego for the next 3 weeks or so, and I will be going for the commute tomorrow after a bit of an abortive attempt this morning.

In the end I bought a 2nd hand Specialized Allez Comp from 2012 with 105 / Ultegra. It needs a bit of work aligning the rear derailleur but otherwise very good.

Thanks again,
    Eddy
    Sounds better than my bike. Good find dude! If you need a bike shop for adjustments, there are several in your work area (Qualcomm).

Performance Bike
    Cycle Quest

I've been to both before and they're good. There's apparently a third shop called North of the Border Bikes, but I've never been to that one before so I can't say anything about them.

There are also many commuter recommendations in this thread below.
    http://sdbikecommuter.com/forums/comments.php?DiscussionID=755&page=1#Item_28