Not signed in (Sign In)
    • CommentAuthoreddyhall
    • CommentTimeMar 20th 2014

Hi all,

I am going to be commuting from La Jolla Shores to the Qualcomm campus in Sorrento Valley in April. Can any of you experienced hands help me with a route?

Google has come up with this, and having checked it out, the I5 section is legit (I was worried for a minute, I know it is normally illegal). Does anyone have any suggestions or improvements from their own experience?

Context: I will be doing this daily at about 7am out and 4pm back. I will be riding a road bike and am a reasonably experienced rider from the UK (not v experienced in riding on the RHS of the road, though). I do not like getting hit by cars.

Cheers,
    Eddy
    • CommentAuthormfutch

Looks good for the AM commute, but skip the UCSD bike paths on your way home and stick to the roads because there will be big crowds and in certain sections (like by the library) you are required to walk your bike from 9am-6pm. Get those legs ready for LJ shores!
    • CommentAuthoreddyhall

It looks like a pretty continuous climb out of LJ Shores. Should wake me up in the mornings!
    Eddy, does this building have a gym/shower facility? You're gonna be sweaty getting there in the morning. And getting back is no easy feat either. The small segments where you have to ride along the highway (I-5) is not safe in my opinion. I used to live in Sorrento Valley and I've taken those segments before. Some commuters here have different opinions from mine, but I do not like the highway shoulders. The pavement is rough and littered with, well, litter. Cars are going very fast trying to merge on while other cars are trying to merge off. Very few are looking out for small slowly moving objects on the shoulder. Are you already locked in to living in La Jolla Shores? There is a small, but very pleasant residential complex in Sorrento Valley that is located about 5-10 minutes walking distance from your work. It's called Wateridge, and it's located on Wateridge Circle. Living there will save you 2 hours per day in commuting time. With all that time, you can ride around San Diego wherever you like on any day. Just a thought.

There is also a bus that goes between UCSD campus and Sorrento Valley. Another bus goes between La Jolla Village Drive and Sorrento Valley. On days when you don't feel like riding all the way, they can help you out a little bit.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbatmick

Agree that the bit down and up I 5 is not fun nor is the short section up Sorrento Valley Road, especially where you cross I 805.

That commute does not have a lot of good options because of the freeway merge bottleneck and geographic restrictions. Here's an alternative route that I prefer to take

I also deals with a lot of traffic on La Jolla Village Drive and you will need to cross the 805 but they recently repaved most of it and overall I think it allows for a better pace. Probably best if you try different variations.
    • CommentAuthorstevedw

I suspect many people continue under 805 on Sorrento Valley Blvd then Southeast on Vista Sorrento and then climb Mira Sorrento Pl instead of the gigantic mess that is Sorrento Valley Rd/Mira Mesa Blvd/Scranton which is probably a bit flatter but much higher car traffic.
    • CommentAuthoreddyhall

Hi all,

Thanks deprotinator, yes we are are kind of married to that area to stay as I am bringing my wife and kids, and I just want to roll them out onto the beach before I go to work.

I think I will try all the routes that you are suggesting over the first week or so until I find something that works for me. The I5 does not phase me too much as it is only 1 junction, hence no nasty merges etc. My wheel control is probably good enough to avoid the mess.

According to Strava, the most popular way to do this journey is head all the way up LJ Shores Drive, North on N Torrey Pines Rd, East on Genesee and then the 1 junction hop on I5.

We shall see! Thank you all for the suggestions!
    Btw, batmick, I will be coming past the front door of Salk, pretty much.

Cheers,
    Eddy
    • CommentAuthorPetteri
    • CommentTimeMar 20th 2014 edited

I ride a couple of times a week from Hillcrest to Sorrento Valley, so am pretty familiar with the route UCSD onwards.

The I-5 shoulder is not on my list of worries at all, apart from occasional debris. You'll need to be careful when coming up and turning left on Genesee, but I can usually find a gap in the traffic without real issues. The way down is fun if you like fast, and the way up is fun when you're faster than four lanes of cars in the afternoon traffic.

From Sorrento Valley you'll want to go under the 805, take Vista Sorrento Parkway, Mira Sorrento Place and then get to Morehouse. Through UCSD I'd probably stay mostly on Gilman too, but that's more a question of taste. Something like this (sorry, short links from Google Maps aren't co-operating). While Mira Mesa Boulevard has now theoretically bike lanes most of the way, half of the drivers use them as left-turn lanes and traffic speeds are 55-60mph. The parts by the 805 with the ramps are especially bad - tons of traffic, massive congestion in the afternoons, last-minute lane changes, etc.

You do not want to live in Sorrento Valley if you value having any life outside of work - there's nothing there.

All the main Qualcomm campus areas have gyms with showers. I usually keep my bike in my office, but there are also lockers and bike racks and some buildings have bike storage rooms. Not a bad place for bike commuting at all, just wish the offices were somewhere more central, and my hours were more predictable so I could ride more often...

Edit: Batmick's route may be worth a try too, depending on your preferences. I'm not a fan of Miramar Road or La Jolla Village Drive though, and you'd need to cross two sets of freeway on/off-ramps which I find worse than the I-5. You can avoid the 805 by going via Eastgate Mall. There's a bit of a climb from Carroll Canyon at the end.
    I made a small modification to your morning route...here. Just the last segment after you get off the I-5.

I also suggest this route for your way back home. Just my 2 cents.
    • CommentAuthoreddyhall
    • CommentTimeMar 21st 2014

You guys/girls are awesome. Thank you!
    • CommentAuthorShady John
    • CommentTimeMar 21st 2014

The comments above are pretty comprehensive. I'll just add that if you end up with a cyclocross bike, or even a road bike with 28 mm tires or fatter, there's a dirt road you can take to avoid the I-5 segment.

http://www.strava.com/segments/3780853
    • CommentAuthorT
    • CommentTimeJun 30th 2014

So I guess the question is ... how did it go back in April 2014 ? I used to do that route to work next door to Qualcomm at the top of Scranton. I'd love to hear a UK visitor's experience! (And what did you do for a bike? Suitcase bike?)