Not signed in (Sign In)
    • CommentAuthorStephan
    • CommentTimeMar 24th 2014 edited

Congratulations to Sigurd for receiving iCommute's annual Diamond Award for Commuter of the Year. The SANDAG iCommute Diamond Awards honors companies, organizations, schools, agencies,
    and individuals who have demonstrated a commitment to promoting sustainable transportation choices in their workplace, school, community, or through their own commuting practices. Congratulations are due as well to the San Diego County Bicycle Coalition for receiving the Program Excellence award for hosting the first CicloSDias, and for the valet bike parking and educational programs it provides. Finally, JO Commuications, which provides communications consulting services to the Bike Coalition, received the Best New Program award. JO Communications owner, Jamie Ortiz, was commuter of the year last year. She and her company are doing great work on behalf of cycling in the San Diego region.
    • CommentAuthormfutch
    • CommentTimeMar 24th 2014

Stephan:Congratulations to Sigurd for receiving iCommute's annual Diamond Award for Commuter of the Year. The SANDAG iCommute Diamond Awards honor companies, organizations, schools, agencies,
    and individuals who have demonstrated a commitment to promoting sustainable transportation choices in their workplace, school, community, or through their own commuting practices. Congratulations are due as well to the San Diego County Bicycle Coalition for receiving the Program Excellence award for hosting the first CicloSDias, and for the valet bike parking and educational programs it provides. Finally, JO Commuications, which provides communications consulting services to the Bike Coalition, received the Best New Program award. JO Communications owner, Jamie Ortiz, was commuter of the year last year. She and her company are doing great work on behalf of cycling in the San Diego region.

Yay Sigurd!
    Excellent!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeMar 24th 2014 edited

Wow, I had no idea - I am deeply humbled and honored.

Although short as the crow flies, I try to make the most of every single commute: However, there are plenty of commuter riders out there who are as committed to bike commuting as I am, who ride farther, harder and carry more weight than I do; who put more thought and resources into making their rigs superbly suited for commuting. This award goes out in spirit to not only all of them, but to every person who has decided to commit to commuting by bike at any level, regardless of distance or frequency, and to those who have replaced car trips with bike trips, regardless of in how small of a way.

Thank you.
    • CommentAuthorLucky

Congratulations & lovely acceptance speech Sigurd! Your commitment to cycling is an inspiration!
    Please post the iCommute link or does Stephan have some kind of insider information;)
    • CommentAuthorStephan

It's not about how far or how hard you ride. It's about how what you do helps encourage sustainable transportation in the region. Here's what the staff report says about the award:

Sigurd Kallhovde epitomizes an inspirational commuter by biking to work daily, inspiring students at La Jolla Elementary School, and their parents. He funds and manages the sdbikecommuter.com forum
    where commuters motivate one another. To further encourage cycling, he started a local Strava group, an online community of athletes worldwide. His enthusiasm has influenced his family too — his wife bikes, and his son cycles to school at UC Santa Cruz. Leading by example, Sigurd rode 6,000 miles in 2013. Through the years, he has led rides across the county, inspiring hundreds of people of all ages to commute by pedal power.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill

Coolness.
    • CommentAuthorsynthetic

Darn, i put sdbikecommuter.com in for an award and we didnt get it?
    Well done!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSmorg

Congratulations Sigurd!! And also to SDCBC and to BikeSD, too. It's so cool to see our local advocates do so well this past year! :oD
    • CommentAuthorgottobike

Sigurdstrong.
    • CommentAuthorShady John

Congratulations Sigurd! And I agree with Lucky, that was a wonderful acceptance speech.

A true inspiration! Congratulations Sigurd.

• CommentAuthorShady John

"Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel...as long as you bag 3-4000 vertical feet on your daily commute."

--Sigurd
    •  
      CommentAuthorPaul
    • CommentTimeMar 25th 2014

Shady John:"Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel...as long as you bag 3-4000 vertical feet on your daily commute."

--Sigurd

Epic. Congratulations. They didn't even include your Soledad KOMs in the citation!
    • CommentAuthorysa
    • CommentTimeMar 25th 2014

Congrats, Sigurd! And thank you for running this website.
    Incredibly humble speech Sigurd. You are a leader (not a bystander) in the bike community and deserve the accolades. Chapeu to you sir!
    • CommentAuthorLucky
    • CommentTimeApr 23rd 2014

photo 1CD3B96D-61DE-4EB4-8D3E-B68E65B1F7D9_zpscxnoyx0q.jpg">
    • CommentAuthorLucky
    • CommentTimeApr 23rd 2014

He's a great "roll" model
    • CommentAuthormfutch
    • CommentTimeApr 24th 2014

That is an awesome photo!
    • CommentAuthorLucky
    • CommentTimeApr 25th 2014 edited

• CommentAuthormfutch
    • CommentTimeApr 26th 2014

• CommentAuthordstone
    • CommentTimeApr 28th 2014

Well done, Sigurd! Perhaps I'll see you on the overlap of our commutes sometime soon again...provided you don't bag Soledad on the way in.
    La Jolla Elementary named National Blue Ribbon School
    Sept 28, 2016 sdnews.com

La Jolla Elementary School in La Jolla is one of 329 schools across the nation to be named a 2016 National Blue Ribbon School, U.S. Secretary of Education John B. King announced Sept. 28, 2016.

The National Blue Ribbon School designation for La Jolla Elementary recognizes that it is a campus where students achieve very high learning standards, according to the Department of Education. These "Exemplary High Performing" campuses are recognized among their state's highest performing schools, as measured by state assessments or nationally normed tests. The award affirms the hard work of students, educators, families, and communities in creating safe and welcoming schools where students master challenging content.

===================================
    Congratulations to Sigurd and all the staff, teachers, parents and students at La Jolla Elementary School for their hard work to attain this high achievement. Thank you also for all the community support via the La Jolla Art & Wine Festival!

Autumn 2014 found me biking to La Jolla for the Coffeeneuring Challenge. I highlighted the school's improved infrastructure and supported curriculum via the La Jolla Art & Wine Festival (Proceeds benefit local public school art programs). For those who might be out this beginning weekend of Coffeeneuring Challenge 2016, the La Jolla Art & Wine Festival is happening Saturday and Sunday. (October 8th - 9th, 2016)

==== Highlights from Autumn 2014 ====

Environmental efforts/Physical health
    Bike leadership
    Safe crosswalks
    Terrific Artwork
    Supported Music
    And so much more…

This new walk facility acts to protect the many young school children that cross the street coming and going to school.

There are new sidewalks with "bump-outs" that shorten the distance between safe zones. They also act to slow traffic by narrowing the lanes and prevent parents in cars from making u-turns and passing others who are loading or unloading children. It is a very simple design and very functional. The original crosswalk was in the middle of the block so didn't have signal buttons to activate walk signals. This new crosswalk has flashing lights on the new signage that are controlled by buttons at either side of the crosswalk. Very nicely done City of San Diego!

I came upon a display of the local school's art, produced by the students. As it turns out, the majority of the proceeds from the La Jolla Wine and Art Festival go to the local schools to help cover the costs of programs that are not funded by the school district. I was so impressed with the quality of the art from all the different grade levels. It shows the value of these programs and what any student is capable of if given the chance and guided by real instruction.

There was also a student band stand but I didn't hear anything as they were on break. I continued along my way, enjoying all the booths with very nice art works.

• CommentAuthorgottobike
    • CommentTimeOct 3rd 2016

Sigurd for president!
    • CommentAuthorHMeins
    • CommentTimeOct 5th 2016

Great news! When I was a sprout at La Jolla Elementary our resident artist was Teddy Velasquez. I last saw him 2 years ago at our 40th LJHS reunion. We had a lot of catching up to do.
    Three cheers!