Not signed in (Sign In)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSmorg
    • CommentTimeApr 23rd 2014 edited

Hey Uptown bike commuters! Bike On University Ave (advocating for increase cycling on University Ave in Hillcrest area to help convince local businesses to back the SANDAG plan to put a cycletrack there) and San Diego Bike Train (a group of bike commuters who want to ride to work on University Ave and think that's safer en masse than riding solo) are forming commuting bike trains on University Ave from City Heights to Old Town Trolley Station. The first train ran yesterday (Earth Day) from University & Fairmount and took about an hour to get to Old Town Trolley. They're still working out time line and stops to accommodate most people, tho.

If you commute by bike on westbound University Ave in the morning, the next bike train is on Friday (they're trying to make it every Friday for a start, then eventually turn into a daily thing, and probably with another train branching off to go to Downtown, and then perhaps eastbound train(s) in the evening, too), starting at University & Fairmount (NW corner) at 7:45am and getting to Old Town Trolley by 9am. Check it out. :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSmorg
    • CommentTimeMay 2nd 2014 edited

The morning University Ave Bike Train (westbound) has been running for the last 3 Fridays, and it is quite fun! Barring occasional impatient drivers, most drivers gave us plenty of space even at narrow bottlenecks.
    IMG_9506

A couple of drivers rolled down their window at red light. One was annoyed that we were taking up the slow traffic lane rolling into Hillcrest and told us to "ride in the bike lane" (non-existent on University Ave in Hillcrest, by the way). Luckily Hans was there and skillfully informed him of the traffic law and very non-confrontationally explained that we would ride in a bike lane if the city would provide one. Then this morning, before a driver could voice his protest Veronica (the movement's founder) enthusiastically disarmed him by telling him about the bike train and what it hopes to do... and next thing you know, the driver was smiling and chatting with her. He went past, then when we ran into him again further up the road he gave friendly honks and cheery wave. That was quite very cool!
    IMG_9507

Good to see some familiar forum faces who got up to show support (even though the train doesn't cater to their commute... yet), too! Hans rode the last two Fridays.
    IMG_9512

And this morning even our beloved VeloCafe dropped in and took the train downtown even though he was still jet-lagged and stuff.
    IMG_9514

The morning westbound train currently takes off from University Ave at Fairmount at 7:55am and gets to Old Town Trolley just before 9am. :)
    • CommentAuthorsd_mike
    • CommentTimeMay 2nd 2014

While I'm not commuting... I will try to join next Friday. This looks like a lot of fun!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSmorg
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd 2014

Yey! It is quite fun, Mike. :) Hopefully it'll help some drivers give more consideration to taking up bike commuting, too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSmorg
    • CommentTimeMay 7th 2014

Two westbound University Ave bike trains starting this Friday. First one leaves University at Fairmount at 7am (gets to 5th Ave in Hillcrest at 7:30am). Second one leaves University at Fairmount at 8am and gets to 5th Ave by 8:45am. :)
    • CommentAuthorsd_mike
    • CommentTimeMay 8th 2014

I'm not sure which one I'll be meeting... but I plan to meet at University/Fairmount at either 7 or 8... most likely 8.
    • CommentAuthorsd_mike
    • CommentTimeMay 9th 2014

Had a great time with the 7am group. I plan to return as long as I can.
    I have joined the ride the last two weeks. I really enjoy it. I'm starting at College and University at 7:30 if anyone is farther east and wants to join me. See y'all next Friday!
    • CommentAuthorsd_mike
    • CommentTimeMay 9th 2014

I may try to join you... I could use a longer ride anyway.
    • CommentAuthorgottobike
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2014

Bike Train 101?
    Is their any information on starting a bike train? Or what makes it a bike train and not just another peloton? Are there engineers, conductors, timetables, stations and routes? Can I get a monthly pass and then make reservations twice a day for my bike?
    •  
      CommentAuthorHans
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2014

gottobike:Bike Train 101?
    Is their any information on starting a bike train? Or what makes it a bike train and not just another peloton? Are there engineers, conductors, timetables, stations and routes? Can I get a monthly pass and then make reservations twice a day for my bike?

Bike trains try to keep a list of regular stops along the way, at a given time.They're mainly a way to get the riders that are timid about riding on the main roadways, comfortable. Another benefit is that your regular riding buddies live and work in all directions. This also helps get people out the door, Like when you'd just as soon stay in for the night, but you already told friends that you'd meet up with them. Added bonus is that you get a face to go along with that name! "Friends" become friends.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSmorg
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd 2014

Current Friday bike trains schedule:

City Heights to Hillcrest 7am
    Fairrmount/University 7:00am
    Willson/University 7:05am
    30th/University 7:15am
    Normal/University 7:25am
    5th/University 7:30am

City Heights to Hillcrest 8am
    Fairmount/University 8:00am
    Willson/University 8:05am
    30th/University 8:15am
    Normal/University 8:25am
    5th/University 8:30am
    Old Town Trolley 8:45am

Hillcrest to Downtown 8:30am
    5th/University 8:30am
    4th/Laurel 8:35am
    4th/Broadway 8:45am

This bike train is very much a grassroot thing. Veronica and Sandra are the main 'organizers' and they have been riding all the trains. I don't know if it's a proper peloton, really. It's just a bunch of bike commuters turning up to ride together for a stretch (because there is safety in number when riding along University Ave). We go at pretty easy pace (not everyone is on a road bike... and we don't want to sweat much while heading to work), and stop to help when someone has a mechanical. I think it'd be grand if more experienced cyclists turn up to ride with the trains... then the less experienced ones can learn how to safely navigate city traffic on bike by watching what the others do. :o)
    • CommentAuthorsd_mike
    • CommentTimeMay 23rd 2014

Another great ride with the Bike Train today. I look forward to doing more! I'd love to help advertise this on my website, I just need a bit more information - mostly contact info.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSmorg
    • CommentTimeMay 23rd 2014

Good riding with you this morning, Mike. :) I think Veronica & Sandra are working on a website. Should be launched soon.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSmorg
    • CommentTimeJun 18th 2014

SD Bike Train is looking to add more routes and would like your input. http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/2Q89SMG :)
    • CommentAuthorT
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd 2014

SD Bike train still going strong from City Heights to Hillcrest on Fridays? Average participation numbers? I know it is hard to keep up momentum on these things. Good luck!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSmorg
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2014

Hi T. It has fizzled a bit, I'm afraid. The Tuesday morning train from 30th and University (7:15 am start) down to Downtown via South Park & Golden Hill usually has just a couple of riders. The 7 am Friday train from Fairmont at University to 5th and University doesn't usually have rider (so the gals usually just turn back to Fairmont from 30th St now, since nobody gets on the train from that stop on). The 8 am train fluctuates a bit from 2-6 riders (this one continues on to Downtown on 4th Ave).

I hadn't been on the train much of late (only caught the Tuesday one last week, and had missed the Friday trains the last 3 weeks or so. Been busy). I see people bike commuting along the route before and after the trains, but those folks are already comfortable biking on their own and probably don't feel safer riding with a group (especially when the group goes slower than their preferred pace). The train conductors are looking to attract folks that aren't already bike commuting but are interested in giving it a go. :)
    • CommentAuthorsd_mike

Do they have a website?
    • CommentAuthorT

• CommentAuthorT

I totally support and love the idea, but I only did it once. Getting on at 30th & University (after waiting 10 minutes b/c I was early) and getting off 'early' 3 minutes later at Texas & University felt just a little silly. The speed definitely was slower than I was looking for, but it is an excellent point that the train is for less experienced riders to feel comfortable in a group at a comfortable pace. I did enjoy my 3 minutes of downhill on university to the west! I just wanted to participate at least once for support. Though I commute to Kearny Mesa just fine and am comfortable (actually prefer) solo.

I hope it keeps going! even 2-6 riders is a good showing and something to keep up with!
    • CommentAuthorsd_mike
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2014 edited

Facebook doesn't count... a real website would be nice (and is easy to do). Not everyone is on FB and not everyone uses it. I'd be happy to host something on my site for free. I have plenty of room.