Not signed in (Sign In)
    • CommentAuthorgottobike
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2014

SDBIKECOMMUTER forum for San Diego Council District 6:
    http://www.sandiego.gov/citycouncil/cd6/communities/index.shtml
    Includes the communities of Clairemont Mesa, Kearny Mesa, Mira Mesa and Rancho Peñasquitos.

If you have topics related to District 6, please post them here.
    I have a somewhat negative view of Lorie Zapf, but I know I don't know much about her former district and shouldn't be too quick to judge. My impression mainly comes from the tragic bike accidents on Balboa and Clairemont Mesa in the past 2-3 years. After those accidents, she promised to change things to make it safer crossing the 805. I personally have seen nothing done. So that's why I have this negative impression of her.

I'd like to know, from the folks who know this district, whether she has done a good job or not. Thanks!
    • CommentAuthorgottobike
    • CommentTimeMay 23rd 2014

I think the problems in my district are beyond what one Council Member can resolve and I like to think of Lorie Zapf as being part of the solution. If not now, hopefully soon.
    There really has not been much if any real improvement in the Clairemont & Kearny Mesa areas for decades but this doesn't appear to be much different than any other San Diego Council District. Our district is basically a freeway access district and what used to be neighborhood streets are now freeway shortcuts. The conditions that created the tragedies on Balboa and Clairemont Mesa Blvd persist and as far as I know, there is zero interest from any government agency to resolve. I sincerely wish our traffic engineers would discontinue applying designs based on the Federal Highway System to our neighborhood streets.
    I believe District 6 would make a great study in how the 85th percentile non-speed limiting laws can negatively impact neighborhoods. Many of our streets were originally 25-35MPH but with the application of the 85th percentile law that rewards speeding motorists, these speed limits kept creeping up. This increased speed limit was greatly enjoyed by motorists from other areas of the city driving through our neighborhoods, but the local residents were then unable to cross the streets. The solution implemented by the City of San Diego was to add more stop signs and stop lights. Now motorists are legally entitled to drive through my neighborhood at higher rates of speed; however, with the added stop signs and stop lights it takes far longer for everyone to get across town and our neighborhoods are still disemboweled by these mini drag strips.
    I live on the edge of a commercial district. When the posted speed limit was raised from 35MPH to 40MPH, this seemed to be interpreted by many motorists as "leaving city limits" and the street quickly became more of a drag strip than a neighborhood street. I have learned to ride on the sidewalk down to the stop light that was also recently installed and use the walk signal to get across the street on my bicycle.
    There are some bright spots my district and I promise to point these out. I will also include photos of actual cycling infrastructure!
    • CommentAuthorsynthetic

you need to push for road diets. multi lane roads increase speeds despite what a sign says
    • CommentAuthorPetteri

synthetic:you need to push for road diets. multi lane roads increase speeds despite what a sign says

Agreed(!). Balboa and Clairemont Mesa look basically like freeways. Even if you'd put a 30mph speed limit there people would still do 50 since that's really what the roads are built for, except with frequent traffic lights which make sure car traffic doesn't move well either. Worst of all worlds.
    • CommentAuthorHMeins
    • CommentTimeMay 24th 2014

Zapf's office stonewalled me for years about the substandard width non-conforming "bike lane" striped over concrete culverts and potholed pavement on southbound Murphy Canyon Rd. between Stonecrest Blvd and the metered on ramp to I-15 southbound, as well as the silt and arundo reed clogged concrete channel that takes Murphy Creek under Friars Rd. and into the stadium parking lot. It floods whenever it rains and effectively closes bike and pedestrian access between Murphy Canyon Rd. and Ward Rd. I was swept away by a flash flood in the pre-dawn darkness in the stadium parking lot in December 2010. Nothing has been done to fix this. It's only a matter of time before someone drowns here, but it will probably be a homeless person who doesn't vote, so why should it matter to a career politician? The main issue is that this route is the choke point that funnels all non-motorized traffic along the I-15 corridor through the stadium parking lot and past the tank farm.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd

Zapf's financial contributors - mostly contractors and developers (in addition to law enforcement agencies) - is really all you need to know.

Petteri:Balboa and Clairemont Mesa look basically like freeways. Even if you'd put a 30mph speed limit there people would still do 50 since that's really what the roads are built for, except with frequent traffic lights which make sure car traffic doesn't move well either. Worst of all worlds.
    Paint, signs and public campaigns won't hurt, I suppose, but vehicle speed - actual, posted, "85th creep" and the enforcement hereof - is the elephant in the room.
    • CommentAuthorHMeins

Same financial backers as Faulconer. Follow the money.
    • CommentAuthorgottobike
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd 2014 edited

In recent years major North-South bicycle access corridors in San Diego have become compromised.

Would like your comments on whether a bicycle bridge over HWY-52 between HWY-5 and HWY-805 would be feasible.

Bike Bridge over Freeway (example):
    https://twitter.com/seattledot/status/473880230319235072/photo/1
    • CommentAuthorHMeins
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2014 edited

There doesn't seem to be any support for infrastructure improvements that would benefit north/south commuters along the I-15 corridor. The choke point, as I have mentioned, is at Murphy Canyon Rd. and the Class I path under Friars Rd. and into the stadium parking lot to Ward Rd. Most infrastructure proposals favor short distance commuters between downtown and uptown, primarily in District 3 where there is already the political will to get things done. I imagine there are so few of us intrepid commuters who ride from south of I-8 to points north of Miramar that we don't matter. Case in point is the years of stonewalling by Zapf's office in response to entreaties to make the I-15 corridor safe and more inviting to non-motorized road users.

Would a bike pedestrian bridge over SR52 serve more than just as an alternative to Genesee Ave and do more than connect Clairemont with University City? Kearny Villa Rd. already crosses over SR52 along the I-15 commute route and the Rose Canyon Class I path goes under it just east of I-5.

There is also the problem of construction within protected open space as any bridge over SR52 between I-5 and 805 would have to have an impact on Rose Canyon. There is already a very vocal opposition to plans for an extension of Regents Rd. bridging Rose Canyon.

A route going under SR52 might be less intrusive and less expensive than a bridge.
    • CommentAuthorgottobike
    • CommentTimeAug 1st 2014

Your district needs you!

San Diego City Council Adopts City’s First Bicycle Advisory Committee
    http://bikesd.org/2014/07/san-diego-city-council-adopts-citys-first-bicycle-advisory-committee/

After decades of delay and misdirection the City of San Diego is finally organizing a Bicycle Advisory Committee. This committee will be comprised of bicycle representatives from each district. For more information on participating in this civic activity, contact your city council member.
    •  
      CommentAuthorShapps
    • CommentTimeAug 1st 2014

I live in 6 and it is in dire need of some improvements. We've all seen plenty of news stories about Balboa and Clairemont Mesa where they go over the 805. Clairemont Drive could really use a bike lane too.
    • CommentAuthorHMeins
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2014

Or at least sharrows in the right lane.
    Sorry for the short notice folks, I just heard of this today. Here's your chance to see the District 6 City Council candidates.

From the Mira Mesa Town Council website:

There will be a candidate forum for City Council District 6 candidates Chris Cate and Carol Kim on Wednesday, September 3rd from 7:00-8:30 PM at Mira Mesa High School. The forum is cosponsored by the Mira Mesa Town Council and the San Diego Police Officers Association.

(I wasn't sure where to post this, but I assumed someone will be interested. I'm going to post this again in the Bike Advocacy thread.)