Not signed in (Sign In)
    • CommentAuthorsd_mike
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2014 edited

Hello all,

I need your help. I'm looking to catalog all the "Bike Route" signs in San Diego. The signs are the ones with the route/direction/mileage on them. Some are older, some new. I need the data in the following format:

Location (Intersection, Which Corner, Direction sign is facing)
    What the sign says (Locations, Mileages, Arrows)

Photos would also work, just as long as I have the proper location data.

I have a few photos of the signs I'm looking for on this site:
    http://socalregion.com/bicycling/wayfinding-signs-in-san-diego/

If anyone is interested in helping, let me know! I plan to publish the data on my website when it is complete.
    Mike, can you get this information from the City or County somehow?
    • CommentAuthorT
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2014

The actual location of the signs may already be in the City's GIS data layer, but they would not share it i'm sure.

Good luck documenting / cataloging all the 'Bike Route' signs in SD. I'd suggest you start with the SANDAG bike route map:

http://www.icommutesd.com/Bike/BikeMap.aspx

or download the PDF's:

http://www.icommutesd.com/Bike/documents/NorthBikeMap_Web_000.pdf

http://www.icommutesd.com/Bike/documents/SouthBikeMap_Web_000.pdf

Good luck! I have a hard enough time documenting the location of graffiti on signs to report to the City of SD Street Divisions.
    • CommentAuthorsd_mike

I have already downloaded what data I could find on the SanGIS site. This is more specific regarding the messages on the signs and their locations. The GIS data they have would just show a sign exists and what type it is.
    • CommentAuthorT

Good luck man, that's a gargantuan task! But every journey begins with the first step (or pedal!)
    • CommentAuthorbossvoss
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2014

Philip Erdelsky has added some GPS data to his excellent Bike Routes site on efgh.com. Might take some digging, but knowing how Philip takes lots of pics, I am guessing there may be signs in there. You might also contact him directly for such information. I don't think he is a regular visitor of this forum. His e-mail address is on the web site.
    • CommentAuthorsd_mike
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2014

So far, I've cataloged 64 signs. Right now, I'm just going with where I've seen them already and using GSV. There are still some I cannot read that way or just don't know where they are. I'm looking for them in the UTC, La Jolla, Clairemont, Kearny Mesa, and Golden Hill/Stockton area. Any help in those areas would be great (at least a location).
    •  
      CommentAuthorSmorg
    • CommentTimeAug 13th 2014

IMG_2545
    This one is on northbound side of 32nd St just south of L St. I think that's in Stockton? :)

IMG_2547
    You might already have this one. It's northbound 30th at around Dwight in North Park. It doesn't make much sense to me since if you turn right there with the sign you'll T-bone into Ray St, which is one-way south... and you can't really get to Normal Height or La Mesa unless you salmon north on Ray to get to North Park Way or University. :P
    • CommentAuthorsd_mike

The directions to La Mesa / City Heights get a little... odd. First you turn onto Dwight, then somehow back up to Landis, which is the signed route to City Heights / La Mesa. It is interesting that there is route signage on L St instead of K St, which is a designated Bike Route.
    • CommentAuthorsd_mike

Should I also catalog the BIKE ROUTE signs with arrows only? I have only been cataloging the ones with control points so far.
    • CommentAuthorsd_mike
    • CommentTimeAug 15th 2014 edited

I need to know what is on the signs at the north end of the Santa Fe Ave path at Gilman Dr. Can anyone take a photo or send me the info? I just need the two signs on the path (northbound and southbound). I'm also sending a request to the City to fix the sign at Washington and San Diego. It is covered in stickers and rather useless.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSmorg
    • CommentTimeAug 15th 2014

I took a few photos the last time I came home from north county. :) Saw two signs on southbound Gilman Dr approaching the bike path at La Jolla Colony:
    IMG_2472

The 2nd one, right at Rose Canyon BP's north entrance, is more informative:
    IMG_2473
    "Balboa Av/Garnet Av 3.2 miles, Pacific Beach 5.7 miles, Centre City/Downtown 12.3 miles"

I'm afraid I didn't take any photo of the south entrance sign. Did shoot at the little signs on the north and south entrances to Rose Creek BP, tho:
    IMG_2475 IMG_2476
    Neither are very informative. They don't tell non-locals where the path leads to... And the north one is easily missed by anyone not familiar with the area. There is no curb cut out where the sign is. I can imagine out-of-towners seeing that and wonder if they are supposed to scale the wall or something.
    • CommentAuthorsd_mike
    • CommentTimeAug 15th 2014

Thank you for your help! It is looking like this project is almost over. I've so far cataloged 124 signs. Some have mileage, some don't.