Not signed in (Sign In)
    • CommentAuthorSweetEnnui
    • CommentTimeJan 28th 2015 edited

I can't be the only one that doesn't have the indoor space to store my bike.

I live in half of a house and have exclusive use of a back patio (gated) where I can store my bike. However, it's not protected and I notice that even with our spectacular weather situation, that means a lot more wear and tear on my bike. I was thinking of purchasing something like this to store my bike:
    http://www.costco.com/Lifetime-Horizontal-Shed.product.100094253.html

My husband and I are also considering purchasing an Xtracycle so we can transport the wee one to daycare without a car. So I am a little concerned it may not fit in that type of shed. Any suggestions? A full on shed is just not possible on that patio. It's tiny!
    The less expensive option is to get a bike cover (check CL or LBS). Xtracycle has a long tail bike cover to protect the bike from the elements. Another alternative is to use tarp or tandem bike cover.
    • CommentAuthorJSnook
    • CommentTimeJan 29th 2015

I used a Bobike City kid seat on my cruiser for our daughter and then later on our son (daughter moved up to a tag-along). I think the Bobike setup was around $200 new and I sold it for half that on CL when my kids had outgrown it to a really sweet couple. Just another option - the Extracycle stuff looks pretty sweet too and somewhat modular.

The one thing I like about that storage shed is that it looks like it can be locked. I don't know anybody living in this town that hasn't had something stolen out of their yard. My neighbor just had his bike taken recently, and I had a lawn mower stolen from my yard years ago! If it isn't bolted to the ground or locked up it's only a matter of time (unless you have a guard dog perhaps).
    • CommentAuthorerik
    • CommentTimeJan 29th 2015

JSnook:The one thing I like about that storage shed is that it looks like it can be locked. I don't know anybody living in this town that hasn't had something stolen out of their yard. My neighbor just had his bike taken recently, and I had a lawn mower stolen from my yard years ago! If it isn't bolted to the ground or locked up it's only a matter of time (unless you have a guard dog perhaps).

Yeah, as much as I enjoy San Diego, I would hesitate before leaving something of value outside. I have considered a horizontal shed like that in the past. I think the idea is a good one, if you can lock it and fit everything you want inside. You will definitely not fit a longtail in there, however (unless you attach an Extracycle kit to a folding bike...)