Not signed in (Sign In)
    • CommentAuthorrommer25
    • CommentTimeFeb 4th 2015

Hello:
    Has anyone rode a bicycle, touring the area of Borrego Springs where the dinosaurs (metal) are? I would like to know how long the ride is to see them all and what time of year would be the best. I would appreciate any comments.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPaul
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th 2015

I just went to a cycling camp out there. To see the actual dinosaurs you just ride down that road. It doesn't take that long. Are you asking about riding to Borrego Springs from central San Diego? Depending on how strong a rider you are, you can get there in one day, no problem, but you'll want to spend the night once you get there. A few of us have ridden there and back via Pine Valley. Unless you're a hardy sort, you might want to avoid the heat in summer.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th 2015

Somewhat helpful if you are looking to ride around Borrego Springs to see the sculptures:

• CommentAuthorrommer25
    • CommentTimeFeb 6th 2015

would you recommend a mountain bike or would a road bike due. I also have a hybrid with touring tires. What bike would your recommend.

Ride your bike around Borrego's prehistoric sculptures
    And stay for the stars
    The Canyoneers, December 13, 2017 sandiegoreader.com
    Borrego Springs is the unincorporated town in San Diego’s desert area surrounded by Anza-Borrego Desert State Park. It is an official International Dark Sky Community where you can really see the stars at night. Also, the home of over 130 metal sculptures commissioned by Dennis Avery. Metal sculptor Ricardo Breceda constructed the sculptures, called “Sky Art” by the late Dennis Avery.

Begin the bike ride on the north side of Christmas Circle at the intersection of Palm Canyon Drive and Borrego Springs Road. Most of the life-like metal sculptures are replicas of early Pleistocene animals that roamed this valley several million years ago based on the fossil record as described in the award-winning book Fossil Treasures of the Anza-Borrego Desert.