Not signed in (Sign In)
    • CommentAuthorStephan
    • CommentTimeMar 11th 2015

Registration is now open for Bike to Work.

http://icommutesd.com/events/bike-month
    • CommentAuthorHMeins
    • CommentTimeMar 12th 2015

Once again Bike to Work Day conflicts with Stage 6 of the Tour of California. Last year Bike to Work Day was moved a week later and I was able to participate again for the first time since 2008. I did every Bike to Work Day from 1992 to 2008. Thousands of potential Bike to Work Day participants will be at Big Bear on May 15 for the Stage 6 Individual Time Trial.
    • CommentAuthorbossvoss
    • CommentTimeMar 13th 2015

Maybe the Tour of California should change their schedule and have a rest day. BTW day is a national event and the date set well in advance. I don't think the national BTW day should be re-scheduled around ToC.
    • CommentAuthorShady John
    • CommentTimeMar 14th 2015

Bike to Big Bear!
    • CommentAuthorHMeins
    • CommentTimeMar 14th 2015

The UCI race calendar is an international enterprise set well in advance and I doubt that a conflict with a public event such as Bike to Work Day has any influence at all over the international UCI points calendar.

On the opposite side of the coin, Bike to Work Day is an event for the public with the goal of getting more first time bike commuters on the road. The target group is not hard core bike commuters, elite competitors, or the kind of enthusiasts that take time off every year to travel to their national stage races. France, Spain, Italy, Engand, the Basque Country, California, Utah, and Colorado all have hard won spots on the UCI calendar that attract the most rabid tifosi and the top competitive cyclists from each country and abroad.

I'd be interested in comparing the numbers to see whether Bike to Work Day or the three UCI stage races in the US attract more participants and spectators.
    • CommentAuthorpedal_love
    • CommentTimeMay 12th 2015

If anyone is interested in joining a casual-paced ride this Sunday, May 17th to the Pearl Hotel for a bike ride and brunch, please see details below. RSVP required if you want to attend the brunch, but none needed if you just want to ride.

https://www.facebook.com/events/1580413565559549/

If you are not a member of Facebook to RSVP, please leave a message here or email humm51@hotmail.com
    • CommentAuthorPetteri
    • CommentTimeMay 14th 2015

Bike To Work Day postponed until May 29th: https://twitter.com/SANDAG/status/598896832480022529
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd

Petteri:Bike To Work Day postponed until May 29th: https://twitter.com/SANDAG/status/598896832480022529
    You must be kidding me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbatmick

I was all ready to be stupid and ride in the pouring rain tomorrow.

Rain suit ready, winter bike tuned up, etc..

But if there are no sag stations and thus no audience I think I'll be brave another time.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill

Last year they did a delay, and it killed the participation numbers.
    • CommentAuthorPetteri

If the weather forecast holds true, I suspect they'll get many more participants on the 29th than they'd get tomorrow...

The forecast has been heavy rain, thunder etc for the whole week, so I don't know why the decision was made so late. Either way I think this time it's the right call. I don't know what the conditions were like in North County last year, but I rode on the original day too and everything was crystal-clear on my route.

2014: postponed due to Fire
    2015: postponed due to Water
    2016: postponed due to Earth or Air?
    • CommentAuthordogfeet
    • CommentTimeMay 14th 2015 edited

There are few worse feelings than sitting in an office in soggy pants and shoes. Im taking a lyft tomorrow, im glad they postponed it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbilld
    • CommentTimeMay 14th 2015 edited

Shady John:2016: postponed due to Earth or Air?
    LOL. I thought the order was fire, air, water, earth.

I'm predicting either an earthquake (Earth), or maybe a Salton Sea dust storm apocalypse (Air)
    mfutch is still biking to work tomorrow

Bike to Work Day is postponed in San Diego due to the rain. The rain doesn't bother me though.
    (shameless repost)
    •  
      CommentAuthorbatmick
    • CommentTimeMay 15th 2015

Totally rideable so far, I am pissed. Damn you nature!
    My calendar still said "Bike to Work Day " and although it was torrential, I didn't get cold, and it wasn't that bad
    • CommentAuthorstevedw

My calendar says "Bike to Work Day" on every work day. It was still less wet today than last Friday. And I borrowed a fan at work to make sure my shoes dry by the trip home.
    • CommentAuthorCurtis

Wonderful commute today.
    • CommentAuthorHMeins

I told them not to schedule it during the Tour of California. Fire, rain, whatever else can go wrong will.
    Curtis is the man. And so is Lisi. (You know what I mean.).
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeMay 28th 2015

Don't forget the (rescheduled!) BTW Day tomorrow. I am leading a group of colleagues to and from work tomorrow: But not a single pit stop in La Jolla proper - what's up with that?!

PS! Hopefully that rainy morning forecast doesn't materialize - I will for sure be riding alone, if so.
    • CommentTimeMay 28th 2015

There's a stop on Garnet in front of Vavi sports. Yeah, nothing in the village this year--maybe payback for having the LJ town council reject bikeshare stations. Will have to head out to Genesee or Gilman.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeMay 29th 2015

Not a big turnout for bike to work day, but there were some new riders on my route.
    • CommentAuthorT

Great ride today! Saw so many people biking on the main arteries this AM!
    • CommentAuthorPetteri

I'd say decent turnout. Maybe fewer people than last year but many times the normal number on my route and surely more than there would have been two weeks ago! I also like this year's T-shirt better...

I was running a bit late though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbatmick

Agree, slightly more people than usual on the Southbound 101 and a lot of new faces.

I also like the T-shirt but the largest they had was L, that is discrimination against normal-sized people ;-)
    • CommentAuthorT

most of the pit stops I stopped at in Uptown and Kearny Mesa had tally sheets showing 60+ riders by 830am ...
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeJun 4th 2015

batmick:Agree, slightly more people than usual on the Southbound 101 and a lot of new faces.

I also like the T-shirt but the largest they had was L, that is discrimination against normal-sized people ;-)

I scored a XL
    •  
      CommentAuthorPaul
    • CommentTimeJun 5th 2015

Most years it's the S that are hard to find. Discrimination against people who ride bikes every day.