Not signed in (Sign In)
    So, on my commute this morning I was riding 30th between University and Upas going about 20 traveling south when I heard a horn behind me. It's a class 3 lane, but I still tend to ride to the right anyway. I checked over my shoulder and saw a white pickup truck, moved a bit more to the right, heard a honk again; and was passed by the dually with his passenger mirror almost brushing my shoulder.

He proceeded to flip me off, and I returned the gesture in kind. What happened next shocked me, but I think I attribute this to being new at this game; he proceeded to slow and block the lane and cuss me out for riding in the road. I tried to tell him that it was a shared lane and I had as much right of way as he did. Though, he wasn't having it. The thing that really startled me was the aggression that he was showing and subsequently him stopping the truck which caused me to seek refuge on the curb with a few parked cars and trees between us. After I slowed for a moment he bolted off.

I should have noted the license plate. The truck won't be too hard to recognize for me in the future, and if I see it I am going to note the plate and possibly make a police report.

What would you do in this situation?

I think that if I would have stopped or dismounted he would have come out of his vehicle.
    • CommentAuthorHMeins
    • CommentTimeMar 26th 2015 edited

Stop. 911. Photo. Do not retaliate. Stand your ground and give him enough rope with which to hang himself. If he makes contact with you, he's going to jail.

In 1995 I was attacked by a driver who parked, hid, and lay in wait. He was arrested and cuffed at the scene. My attorney relieved his homeowners insurance company of $20,000.

Describe the vehicle and the driver in detail so that we who use the heavily sharrowed 30th St. know what to look for. Wouldn't it be satisfying to catch him stuck in traffic and have our way with him?

A psychopath like that who challenges traffic law by using his vehicle as a weapon with which to assert his masculinity may have a police record that will work against him if he is caught again.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSmorg
    • CommentTimeMar 26th 2015

I had a psycho like that, curiously enough also in a white SUV, tailgating and honking at me in the slow eastbound lane on El Cajon Blvd in College Area just a few days ago. I stayed right over the sharrow (no way I'd get into the doorzone and endanger myself for idiots like that.. There are other cars on the road that were already looking at us because of all his idiotic honking, so I knew I had witnesses) and gave him a long over-the-shoulder look. Dude kept it up another full block, so I aimed the camera behind at him and took a few shots. That was when he dropped back and turned off. :P

Cowardly bullies are like that. You can do everything right, and they will still try to bully you because they know they're in a car and you are the vulnerable one. I wouldn't flip anyone off, but I will definitely take evidence. Most of the time these folks shy away the moment they realize that evidence was being taken and could be passed on to the cops.
    Please make a report at closecalldatabase.com for every intentional incident, not accident
    If they are serial cyclist haters the reports will show and we may get them caught
    Even if you dont have a license plate a good description will help
    Tell your friends to
    • CommentAuthorerik

I have taken to smiling and waving and giving a thumbs up... Of course, it doesn't resolve anything, but getting frustrated about it was just making me an unhappy person (and that is not why I ride my bike). I would never stop for someone like that, just like I would not stop for a similar road-rager if driving. If someone is behind me honking on a 2 lane road, I become extra careful about holding the lane; they have plenty of space to pass, and I don't want to invite them to try to share a lane with me.

I keep considering a helmet camera. I am really bad at memorizing plates and things, and every time I hear about another collision I feel like it might be good to keep recordings.

You can always call 911 to report a drunk driver. He is swerving in the road and shouting; for all you know it might be true. The cops tend to follow up on that sort of thing in a hurry. You don't even need to tell them you were on a bike when you witnessed it, just that you saw a driver acting irrationally, and you are worried about someone's safety. All of that is true, if a little disingenuous.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbilld

White late '80s GM model Dually. Faded paint with slight rust. Regular cab (IIRC).
    Driver was a mid-late 30s latino. Looked to be a bit shorter in height.
    Happened approximately 7:13 AM on 30th between North Park Ave and Upas.

I'm going to keep my eye out for sure. Next time I'll stop and 911 it.

Don't see too many Duallys up here, if ever.
    • CommentAuthorHMeins
    • CommentTimeMar 27th 2015

Thanks for the heads up, Jay! I will keep my third eye open for this one, since this is in my neighborhood. Sounds like a little fellow with a Napoleon complex and a chip on his shoulder compensating for his deficiency by bullying perceived defenseless people with a huge vehicle. Eventually, he may encounter his worst nightmare, a cyclist with a badge and a backup pistol. I know a few from refereeing the US Police and Fire Games.

That stretch of 30th St. is so heavily sharrowed, there's no ambiguity.

"There's never a cop around when you need one."

--Dr. Robert Neville ("The Omega Man," 1971)
    I forgot to welcome you to the site Jay, thanks for starting a discussion
    I appreciate you both for registering a report at close call database Jay and Michell, the unfortunate incidents may now have a positive outcome
    :-)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSmorg
    • CommentTimeMar 28th 2015

Hopefully, SUL. :o) At least I now know to zoom the cam in a bit before taking shots. (Tho, hopefully won't need to. I really have way more nice encounters with drivers than bad ones. Been keeping tally this year; 32 thank you's or friendly nods/waves vs 1 harassment & 4 punishment passes... alas, all the punishment passes came either on El Cajon Blvd or University Ave :oP ... with the caveat that quite a few potential punishment passes were probably avoided by the over-the-shoulder eye-contact maneuver whenever I spotted cars getting close behind on my rear-view mirror).
    • CommentAuthordogfeet
    • CommentTimeMar 28th 2015 edited

JayOtheMountains:What would you do in this situation?
    Knock off one of his sideview mirrors. and book it through the side streets. jk

I would personally stop and explain why I ride the way I do. If he is too obstinate for reasoning then I would say good day and ride off.

I dont run into many issues in North Park. My abuse comes downtown. I've encountered incidents of assholery on 5th, Market and Broadway(all multiple lane roads). Each time a bunch of honks and an aggressive pass. Each time I met the person at then next red light. One guy was reasonable. The other two were psychopaths. Both nuts were in 40k+ cars.
    Yesterday Julian Road westbound I had what I'm calling a Passive Aggressive Pass
    5 of us riding right-single file, Dirty Devil event ride
    When a considerate motorist slows rather than passing us as the oncoming lane isn't clear, the lane was wide enough, but this was a considerate motorist.
    Once it is clear he moves-over, passes...smiles and waves exchanged.
    Then the long line of bikers behind, so inconvenienced on their noisy leisurely ride, passes with a thunder and doles-out punishment passes, FU's, and one finger salutes.
    To the large gal on the last bike,who swerved close just to wag that big finger and sharing more ccccccrack than spackle can fix....I had 80 miles to go and you are now, forever burned into my brain. Crack kills!
    The motorist at the back came by slowly....just shaking his head after witnessing the rude bikers,
    Didnt ruin our day, we just kinda laughed and headed on to Ramona :-)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSmorg
    • CommentTimeMar 29th 2015

Uggghh! Ms Crackybutt would do better to shake her finger at her own group, seems like. :oP I hope there was enough goodies at the end of the ride to wrest her crack out of your eyes, tho. :o)

Some cyclists are really quite rude indeed. Or... some people are incurably rude no matter what they're driving/riding. I was leading a group up Via de la Valle toward Stud Loop this morning when a large group came roaring past us... squeezing by between us and cars (road shoulder there is no wider than 6 inches!)... and they gave no warning whatsoever while at it. It was lucky I use helmet mirror and saw the lead guy suddenly turning up just a bit behind me (he was screened by my 2nd rider until the last couple of seconds), so I wasn't startled and didn't swerve. :oP

Don't know why, but there seems a herd mentality with these large group where once the first guy passes anything the rest of the group must also pass... even when there is no longer any decent gap/room traffic-wise. They just must squeeze pass now even if that puts other cyclists at risk for swerving off the pavement and cars at risk of head-on collision on shoulderless narrow two-laner with blind curves...
    • CommentAuthorsd_mike
    • CommentTimeApr 2nd 2015

Shut Up Legs:Yesterday Julian Road westbound I had what I'm calling a Passive Aggressive Pass
    5 of us riding right-single file, Dirty Devil event ride
    When a considerate motorist slows rather than passing us as the oncoming lane isn't clear, the lane was wide enough, but this was a considerate motorist.
    Once it is clear he moves-over, passes...smiles and waves exchanged.
    Then the long line of bikers behind, so inconvenienced on their noisy leisurely ride, passes with a thunder and doles-out punishment passes, FU's, and one finger salutes.
    To the large gal on the last bike,who swerved close just to wag that big finger and sharing more ccccccrack than spackle can fix....I had 80 miles to go and you are now, forever burned into my brain. Crack kills!
    The motorist at the back came by slowly....just shaking his head after witnessing the rude bikers,
    Didnt ruin our day, we just kinda laughed and headed on to Ramona :-)

If it makes you feel any better, those types of motorcyclists would have been just as rude to other motorcyclists. The difference is... even after they buzz you, blast their illegal exhaust, or otherwise act like a jackass, they will still wave like we were friends or something.