Not signed in (Sign In)
    •  
      CommentAuthormarkphilips
    • CommentTimeApr 15th 2015 edited

Today has been very difficult day. I learned this morning that Hans passed away in his home yesterday April 14, 2015.

It is worth noting that Hans touched so many lives in many ways. We will miss him very much. Hans wherever you are keep on riding! Until we meet again for the next adventure.

http://bikesd.org/2015/04/losing-a-wonderful-friend-hans-wangbichler/

Yesterday morning, San Diego lost an amazingly kind human being that many of us in San Diego and beyond were very lucky to meet. Hans Wangbichler passed away to the great beyond unexpectedly, and his death is a shock to many of us who knew, loved and cared for him deeply. Hans was one of BikeSD’s founding members and has been a steadfast supporter of our work from the very beginning. Besides bicycling, Hans was a lover of adventure and experiencing the best that the world had to offer – while bringing much happiness to many of our lives. Countless strangers and friends alike have benefited from his generosity given only because he embodied the true meaning of “paying it forward”. At 54, he was too young to be taken away. But he will always be remembered as he is simply irreplaceable. The photo of Hans is from the Montezuma Road press event, when we first got a road diet implemented.

Hans was bold, cheerful and full of life. Rest in peace, Hans.

San Diego County Bicycle Coalition FB page
    8 hrs · Edited ·
    We Remember and celebrate Hans.
    We recently learned of the sad news of the passing of a true friend and dedicated advocate in our bicycling community. Johan Wangbichler served the Bike Coalition as a volunteer and board member for the last several years and we will miss his generous contributions and passion that he brought to our organization. He was always where we needed him to speak up for what we all believe and want for a safe and accessible bicycle network. He was engaging and colorful and could always grab people’s attention when he spoke. Hans also lived and believed in the fun and joy that bicycling provides and his organized rides were a testament to that. There will be a large empty space where his bike rolled and he will be greatly missed. Thank you Hans.
    Note: As we learn more on plans for a celebration/ride for Hans, we will share.

•  
      CommentAuthorSmorg
    • CommentTimeApr 15th 2015

Thanks for this thread, Mark! I think just about everyone is shocked that Hans had suddenly gone. If there is ever anyone that should be immortal it's him.
    • CommentAuthorShady John
    • CommentTimeApr 15th 2015

I met him only a couple of times but his spirit was infectious, and I loved his level-headed, positive posts on this board. He will be missed.
    • CommentAuthorCurtis
    • CommentTimeApr 16th 2015

Hans will be missed. May his spirit live forever. Peace and Light for his family.
    • CommentAuthorT

Thought this should go here as well.

Here's a profile that was done of him by SD Uptown News last year

http://sduptownnews.com/cyclical-spotlight-johan-wangbichler/
    • CommentAuthorHMeins
    • CommentTimeApr 16th 2015 edited

Requiem aeternam dona eis domine, et lux aeterna luceat eis.

om mani padme hum

ॐ मणिपद्मे हूं

So it goes.
    Our family has known Hans since at least the first Tweed Ride, likely longer We'd see him every month or two - velodrome, taco ride, Sunday ride, around S.Park, etc. Eleanor (our child) goes to Albert Einstein Academies. We happened to run into Hans the day-of her third-grade German choir concert and told him about it. Hours later, Hans was the concert and stuck around afterwords, talking with the kids in German. Eleanor was thrilled. It was a genuinely kind and selfless thing for him to do.
    •  
      CommentAuthormarkphilips
    • CommentTimeApr 16th 2015 edited

There will be a commemorative ride this Saturday at Balboa Park. See details below

Hosted by Chris Pavelko and Irlanda Muñoz

Saturday April 18 at 14:00–18:00

Balboa Park Administration Courtyard. 2125 Park Blvd San Diego, CA 92101

This event is to celebrate the life of Johan Wangbichler. Invite everyone that will be interested in attending.

There will be a memorial and podium setup from 2:00 - 4:00 PM.
    About a half hour bicycle ride will be proceeding from the event which will end up at Mission Brewery downtown.
    Those who aren't riding can meet us there. There we will share some beers and stories of the great times we have had with our friend Hans.

If you can't make that then join us for Taco Tuesday. When Hans led Taco Tuesdays for more than a year, we rode and dined every Tuesday night. I had so much fun riding with him and discovering San Diego and nearby neighborhoods. On some weekend rides, he encouraged, and even challenge, my son Nick to follow him on short detours on a Coronado loop ride. That was my son's first long ride and Hans' made it enjoyable for him.

Commemorative Taco Tuesday Night for Hans Wangbichler to Mitch's
    link: http://www.meetup.com/urbanbikeandsocialclub/events/221890812/

I started this club the same time I started my company about 7 years ago. I meet Hans soon there after on one of our signature first events the Taco Tuesday Social Ride. It was obvious from the get go that Hans loved life, riding bikes, and people in general. Soon there after Hans began helping lead and run this and many other rides you have come to love over the years.

We didn't always see eye to eye on all things related to the Club and its growth but I have never meet anyone who loved it as much as myself ( and maybe more sometimes!) Regardless of our difference I have always thought of Hans as kind of father figure over the years, albeit he was always more social and up for anything than my father. Even though we parted ways a few years back I have still never met anyone who cared about bike culture and this club more than Hans.

Hans passed away this week of unexpected causes and with his passing San Diego has lost a good man and a true champion for all things bicycle and social. He loved running taco tuesday rides both with and without me. His routes may have been crazy and hard at times but the man love a Taco Tuesday Social ride. I can think of no better way to celebrate the man I knew and organized with than with one of his favorite events.

Whether you knew him or not, we would be honored if you would join us this Tuesday to one of our long standing favorite places to ride to for Tacos, Mitch's Seafood. As always you will need to come up with some sort of moniker name as mitch's has to call out your name( this was a standing joke with hans and i). This will not be a sad or sappy event, I don't think Hans would ever want that he lived life fuller than 95% of anyone I have know. I think he would be happier just seeing us have a fun evening together on bikes, doing something he loved, and in some small way celebrating his his life and passions.

I hope you feel the same and I hope to see you this Tuesday at our original meeting spot 7 years ago in Balboa park at the fountain!

Jeremy
    5th Annual San Diego Tweed Ride

Tweed Ride organizer Hans Wangbichler signals to the crowd of over a hundred cyclists to follow him as they ride near the San Diego Convention Center during the 5th Annual San Diego Tweed Ride in downtown San Diego on Sunday, ... — Hayne Palmour IV / UT San Diego

See details two posts up for the Saturday memorial and ride
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill

I only did a few rides with him, but we had some nice conversations.

A good man. He is missed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbilld

https://www.facebook.com/events/491308751017880/

For those that don't do FB:

Saturday at 2:00pm - 6:00pm

Balboa Park Administration Courtyard. 2125 Park Blvd San Diego, CA 92101
    This event is to celebrate the life of Johan Wangbichler. Invite everyone that will be interested in attending.

There will be a memorial and podium setup from 2:00 - 4:00 PM.
    About a half hour bicycle ride will be proceeding from the event which will end up at Mission Brewery downtown.
    Those who aren't riding can meet us there. There we will share some beers and stories of the great times we have had with our friend Hans.

Hans was a true gem of man. Whether putting on the Ritz with his many, many friends at the annual San Diego Tweed Ride or sweating singularly in the trenches, making bicycling safer for everyone, his genuine, engaging spirit always shone through.

Rest in peace my friend,

OKB

We've got a small group rolling to the Hans memorial/ride from my place around 2:30 pm if anyone wants to meet up. 1910 Fern.
    Thanks to Rmando Ibarra for the map detail to Saturday's Memorial ride

The location listed as Balboa Park Administration Courtyard. 2125 Park Blvd San Diego, CA 92101 seems to be different from the map showing the bike ride starting at the "Friends of Balboa Park" site.

Will there be two different sites for gathering? One for the memorial and podium setup from 2:00 - 4:00 PM and the other for the bicycle ride that will be proceeding from the event to Mission Brewery downtown?

I don't do Facebook or Twitter so someone may want to clarify on those platforms.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSmorg
    • CommentTimeApr 18th 2015

Hmmmpfff, somehow Google search & map show different locations for the same addy. It's supposed to be by the Balboa Park Admin Bldg, tho, so the map is closer to the spot, I think. :) It seems a better location for massing a lot of cyclists than the one showing the locale by the United Nation complex.
    Photo from Jinna Albright:

Looking at the area where Hans memorial will be at. — with Brittany Wangbichler and Esther Palomino at Balboa Administrative Courtyard.

•  
      CommentAuthormarkphilips
    • CommentTimeApr 19th 2015 edited

Yesterday's Hans memorial was attended by close to a hundred people. So good to see many forum members and also friends and acquaintances.

I saw OKB, The Schwinn Lawyer, Lucky, Lucky Penny, Smorg, Cornelia, Hippy (Chris), Pacmule, Stephan, Bossvoss, BillD, Samantha and Caboose, Lisi, Pana, Paul T and many more from TacoTuesday, Paseo de Todos (Arturo and friends)
    • CommentAuthorT
    • CommentTimeApr 19th 2015

I wasn't able to attend but thanks to those that took video of the event to let those of us that wish we could be there attend in spirit

April 9, 2013. Hans introduced "Tour de Upas" to the Taco Tuesday rides. He believed in a great workout while keeping it fun on the way to the Taco Tuesday celebration. He even got my step-son Nick (in blue shirt) to take up the challenge. Hans' wearing the white dress shirt and blue jeans cheering and coaxing people up a steep incline. You can do it!

•  
      CommentAuthorbilld
    • CommentTimeApr 20th 2015 edited

•  
      CommentAuthorbilld
    • CommentTimeApr 20th 2015

We were trying to figure out what these road markings by Petco Park meant.

•  
      CommentAuthorSariously
    • CommentTimeApr 21st 2015

Tour de Upas!
    •  
      CommentAuthormarkphilips
    • CommentTimeApr 22nd 2015 edited

The biggest turn out on a Taco Tuesday for Hans. It was good to meet up with old and new friends. In Hans spirit, we led them down and up Morley field. Jinna Albright has higher resolution photos on FB.

•  
      CommentAuthormarkphilips
    • CommentTimeApr 22nd 2015 edited

Arturo and Paseo de Todos in TJ will be dedicating the May 1, 2015 ride to Hans. As Arturo said at the memorial, Hans was instrumental Paseo de Todos in TJ.

Last month we all lost a good friend that lead this ride every month. Please join us in the ride down to Tijuana to celebrate him and enjoy the ride.
    The first portion for the Americans starts at 6:00 at Mission Brewery.

This is usually how it goes:
    - Leave around 6:00 pm from Mission Brewery downtown. (~17 miles)
    - Once at the boarder, most cross into Mexico for the next segment and some turn around or take the trolley back.
    - Get to the ride by 7:30-8:00 in Tijuana and start the ride with the locals (~10 miles)
    - Grab tacos and beers after the ride and head back across the boarder. There is never a line coming back at that time.
    Paseo de Todos in Tijuana is a ride for all ages and wages on the first Friday of every month. For the last six years, Johan "Hans" Wangbichler showed fellow San Diegans how fun and safe it is to go to TJ without the car traffic head ache. This month we dedicated the ride in memory of our friend Hans. We had over 26 people in this group but there were many more that already crossed the turnstiles.

The San Diego contingent meets at Mission Brewery in downtown San Diego. The ride leaves 6 pm following harbor driver to the scenic Bayshore Bike Way then to back roads and quiet neghborhoods to the San Ysidro-TJ border crossing. There are few ways to get there other than riding the flat, with tail winds, route. Some take the Blue line trolley there and back. Some don't cross over but the sunset ride is truly amazing.

billd:We were trying to figure out what these road markings by Petco Park meant.

I am helping Chris Pavelko sell Hans' STUFF and GEAR. This Specialized Sequioa (61 cm) is still available last time I checked. Let us know is you are interested in a particular bike.
    Paseo de Johan Ride 7/3 @ 6pm from Mission Brewery

Monthly Ride down to Tijuana Next Friday July 3rd at Mission Brewery Downtown. Leaving by 6 pm

Still have a few bicycles left for sale including some older french bikes, a trek madone, 24" wheel schwinn road bike (for those small ladies or children), 20" springer cruiser kids bike (like a schwinn stingray), and misc others.
    Have some parts as well.
    Let me know if anyone is interested.

Thanks,
    Chris Pavelko
    203-927-3393
    cpavelko@gmail.com
    • CommentAuthorgottobike
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2015

Maybe what we need now is some Hans Wangbichler infrastructure. Something larger than life that will last forever.
    •  
      CommentAuthormarkphilips
    • CommentTimeDec 20th 2015 edited

There were over a hundred cyclists who showed up for the 2015 SD Tweed Ride.

Thanks to one of our volunteers Carrie, we had this sideshow put together for a tribute to Hans who we lost this past year. He has carried the Tweed ride throughout these past years. Enjoy these photos from all the past Tweed Rides! https://www.facebook.com/sandiegotweed/videos/417672505097162/
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeDec 21st 2015

alas, I was in the Baltimore area ... with the trusty Brompton. :-(
    Just sayin' that it's already been a year on April 14

Remembering Hans. Always Boss Tweed!
    Irlandas' photo of HANSome....

How about we start a new HANSome ride?
    • CommentAuthorgottobike
    • CommentTimeApr 19th 2016

That's brilliant, markphillips! Should cargo bikes be allowed?
    • CommentAuthorCurtis
    • CommentTimeApr 19th 2016

Great idea the HANSome ride.
    Of course, all bikes are allowed. HANSome ride will be a classy ride combining modern, vintage, and fancy clothing. Let me discuss this with other local folks.
    • CommentAuthort.e.d
    • CommentTimeApr 26th 2016

This is the first thing I saw after logging in after about 5 years. It makes me sad that we lost such a wonderful person and rider. I'm sad that I missed the HANSome ride. That seemed like a lovely tribute.

Enjoy the eternal tailwinds, Hans.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2016 edited

I wish I had been more inquisitive about their locations when Hans shared with me the projects he had worked on. I know that he worked on projects larger and more elaborate than this, but it is the only work that I know with certainty as being Hans', so when I ride past it always brings out fond memories:

I looked for a signature but alas, couldn't find one.
    Wow. Thanks for sharing that Sigurd.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2016 edited

Does anybody else have details of any of his other works?
    I know Hans did a good amount of work on the new Terminal 2 at Lindbergh Field. It may only have been painting some walls or passageways or it could have been some cool murals. I heard him discuss it and it seemed he was using some sophisticated two part paints and working up high on ladders and such. There may be a way to find out, through the airport folks, what Hans worked on.

In the Bike-O-Rama thread, I posted a tag, way back on Nov 19, 2012, of San Diego National Bank with Wyland Whales painted on the wall. New construction was going to block the mural from being seen. Hans stated he worked on that mural by Wyland.

Hans did a lot of "out of town" work.

#64 “San Diego Migration” ~ 1994
    San Diego National Bank
    1420 Kettner Boulevard
    San Diego, California
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeJun 16th 2016 edited

I found some more photos from one of our many Paseo de Todos rides - I figured this place would be as good as any to share them:

From Esther:
    My uncle Johans Wangbichler put these bike Ramps on this bike path like a rebel with a millions causes. #foreverinhearts #imissunclejohans #mybike #LadyPearl — at La Jolla Bike Path.
    I had no idea how those got there. My kids used those ramps to get to middle school. I understand that there are plans in the works to install formal ramps at this spot, but it's been great to have something here all these years. Thanks Hans, RIP.

http://www.lajollalight.com/news/2016/may/25/biking-la-jolla/
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeOct 23rd 2017