Not signed in (Sign In)
    Read an interesting article on People For Bikes about federal acknowledgement for and including proper building of bike lanes. Both links are full of good information.

A properly buffered bike lane is a good thing. I am used to, but not complacent with, the motorists along my commuting route and get buzzed every few days by unknowing motorists. It's unnerving, but an accepted reality.

I do like this design for a buffer;
    parking buffer
    though I would really be nervous about getting doored by a recently parked vehicle more than riding in a shared or buffered bike lane as they currently lie as passengers do no, ever, ever, look behind them before opening a door. At least drivers feign looking most of the time; and there typically is room to move if it happens abruptly.
    • CommentAuthorerik
    • CommentTimeMay 20th 2015

That looks a lot like the lanes they put on the avenues in Manhattan. They work well and the buffer between parking and bike lane is generally enough to keep you out of the door zone.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbilld

Even the diagram shows a right hook about to happen to a bicyclist who was probably not seen due to being screened by the parked cars.
    • CommentAuthorerik

billd:Even the diagram shows a right hook about to happen to a bicyclist who was probably not seen due to being screened by the parked cars.
    Note the reasonably large spacing between the intersection and the end of parking. Yeah, you need to be aware of a hook (from either side), but I never felt the danger is any more severe than when I am riding out in the normal traffic lane. One way or another, plenty of drivers are not looking.

That is one thing San Diego is terrible about. We let cars park way too close to intersections. When I got here, it took me a very long time to get used to it. I still hate driving around the surface streets here because so many have almost no visibility if there are parked cars.
    FHWA introduces Separated Bike Lane Planning and Design Guide

Posted by
    Gregory Nadeau
    May 18, 2015
    I was so happy to see new striping on Clairmont Drive. They reduced to 1 travel lane each way, and gave us a big ol buffered bike lane.