Not signed in (Sign In)
    • CommentAuthormatvx
    • CommentTimeAug 10th 2015

Anyone here heard of this ride? I heard about it from a friend of a friend, and kind of became obsessed with it. I googled it and couldnt find much info about it. There doesnt seem to be much consensus about how many routes there are up the mountain, but to me it seems like there are 7 main ones. any others seem to be more redundant, or dont really head up the mountain to the memorial.

anyway check out my ride on strava and tell me what you think. i took some secondary routes with some of the downhills but stuck to what i think are the primary routes for the uphills. this is my second try - last time i couldnt make it up the hardest part of via capri without stopping, and ran out of daylight before i got to soledad road. definitely a good idea to start on the north side and work your way south, i dont know if my legs could deal with via capri and upper hillside after 5 ascents!

https://www.strava.com/activities/365512732
    •  
      CommentAuthorSmorg

Welcome to the forum, Matvx! :) Nice ride on Soledad, too. Oh, you should really check out the secondary routes. They don't go directly to the top, but the view is much more interesting and you see way fewer cars... and a few of them are plenty stingy for their lack of length (Pacifica, for one, is a hidden-in-plain-sight queen of mean). The Muirlands isn't steep, but what a gorgeous neighborhood!

On another note, this is as good an excuse for resurrecting a good old thread as anyone, I guess. ;)
    • CommentAuthorShady John

Hi Matvx,

It's hard to separate primary from secondary. I have been riding Mt. Soledad for 13 years, and I find that I do the Nautilus climb and the full Soledad Mtn Road climb only about once a year each, because the "secondary" roads are more pleasant. At some point, many of us also tire of riding through the traffic at the summit, so we tend to go to the cross just once per ride. So removing the requirement for an independent route "almost" all the way up, there are a few other climbs to add to your route:

Full Hillside from Torrey Pines (including the dirt/broken pavement section)--or tie in the Al Bahr/Castelano bridges route
    Linda Rosa/La Jolla Rancho climb from Bird Rock neighborhood
    Pacifica (as Smorg mentioned)--sadly this doesn't go through, so you have to shed all the hard-won altitude and descend Amity/Middleton back to Soledad Mtn Road to continue your cliimb
    Via Valverde straight up
    Via Valverde to Paseo Laredo, Estrada, El Canario, Cruzada
    Muirlands Vista to Muirlands
    Muirlands from Nautilus

Here's a little route that some of us do as a hilly time trial:

https://www.strava.com/segments/4349713

Here's the annual Thanksgiving ride from 2014 (plus a little bit of warm up)--a very no-nonsense route:

https://www.strava.com/activities/223844295

Also Matvx, you should check out Sigurd K on Strava--he has more vertical feet on Mt. Soledad in a week than most San DIego riders have in a lifetime.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeAug 11th 2015

I consider these the mainstream, bottom-to-top climbs to the cross:

- Soledad Mtn Rd
    - Cardeno
    - La Jolla Mesa
    - Nautilus
    - Via Capri
    - Country Club

So, the "Seven Ways Up" that you did is as representative of the major climbs as anything else out there. But as Shady stated, getting off the beaten track and combining less traveled routes (such as the ones in Hippy's Crit) is where the fun is for me.

According to Wikipedia (and who can argue with that?!), there are 13 principal cycling routes on Mt. Soledad.
    Welcome Mattvx
    Glad you found Soledad, its such a wonderful place to ride
    I am missing my Soledad lately
    I had no idea of the Wiki page ;-)
    Looking forward to the Thanksgiving day climbfest, does anyone have a link to the organizer?
    • CommentAuthormatvx

thanks guys, yeah now that ive done the major routes in one day i would like to try some of the secondary ones that skirt the mountain. i guess i got caught up in the mental accomplishment of reaching the top of each route!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd

Shut Up Legs:I had no idea of the Wiki page
    You've done them all - and then some. :)

Shut Up Legs:
    Looking forward to the Thanksgiving day climbfest, does anyone have a link to the organizer?

This was the evite announcement from last year--there's probably something on Facebook as well, for those who partake:

http://www.eventbrite.com/e/thanksgiving-soledad-climbfest-tickets-13877454841
    • CommentAuthorsynthetic
    • CommentTimeAug 13th 2015

former president of san diego tri club usually does this 7 climb tour every year on his birthday , inviting a large group. He has been recently injured so dunno if he will do it again
    • CommentAuthorgottobike
    • CommentTimeAug 28th 2015

Truth be known... I much prefer the descents.