Not signed in (Sign In)
    Closecalldatabase.com

I am calling on all road cyclists to help reduce the dangers of riding amongst motorists.
    We have a duty to help make our streets safer and report intentional bad drivers
    Built and maintained by a cyclist to collect evidence law enforcement will never care to collect

Hostile drivers are often serial offenders. When a driver “sends a message” by purposely buzzing or running you off the road (or worse) they are committing a life-threatening assault and using their car as a potential deadly weapon. Reporting their aggression and hostility helps build a case against those drivers. This site can provide your local police and prosecutors with important evidence that should increase the likelihood that justice will be served if the driver ends up harming a cyclist. More importantly, serial offenders can be brought to the attention of your local police who may encourage them to change their behavior before a tragedy occurs.
    Reporting an incident here will generate an email blast to local members, and store it for access by law enforcement and attorneys.
    Filing a report can save someone’s life.
    Please register now, you can do some good
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeOct 25th 2015

I'm making this a Sticky.

In addition to registering close calls to the database, feel free to also post close call incidents to the thread in addition.
    Typical Sunday coffee ride route took me up toward Alpine on Northbound on Tavern Road. The uphill stretch from Dehesa Rd. to Hawks Vista is a gauntlet with no shoulder and we get no love from the motorists here. One car in particular has buzzed us on Sunday morning here maybe 15 times, though she had taken a siesta for maybe the last 5 months but returned today and buzzed me within 2 feet. You can see the first 2 cars are courteous with their left tires across the yellow line, then PT Cruiser Lady's left tire is close to the line then approaching me (last rider) she swerves right in my direction as she passes close, then almost touching the white line some distance in front of me-for emphasis. Doesnt look dramatic but it is intentional and it is wreckless endangerment and she must be stopped. I have a feeling I know where she works due to the vanity plate. I am placing this video on Alpine Nextdoor.com, maybe a local will out her, and I've had good luck with local law enforcement on that site

Once last summer I was alone in same area heading East on Japatul and she approached westbbound, crossed the double yellow to buzz me on the far right shoulder.

This incident clearly convinced me I needed a Fly6 camera, but I couldnt afford one. I finally got mine a week ago. The date/time stamp on the camera continue to be elusive to set correctly.

I will bet there are many other stories of this serial bad motorist

Help us stop her .

video here
    https://youtu.be/-ZtG6tcvoGY
    •  
      CommentAuthorSmorg
    • CommentTimeOct 26th 2015

Thanks for documenting this, SUL. Going out of her way to buzz a cyclist going the opposite direction in the opposite lane is pretty sick!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSmorg
    • CommentTimeOct 30th 2015

Filed this at CCDB yesterday, tho it did end well. A lot of driving bullies don't have it in them to de-escalate and apologize for their behavior, this guy did, so I'm not filing any charge and hope he'll make good on his second chance and be nice to the next cyclists he sees on the road. :o)

======================
    I pulled onto the rightmost lane on eastbound El Cajon Blvd from northbound 60th St in College Area, about 3 bus lengths ahead of a red Honda with New Jersey license plate (redacted), approaching the red light at the intersection of El Cajon Blvd and College Ave. As I was intending to go straight through the intersection, I positioned myself left-center of the right most lane (which becomes dual directions: straight or right turn lane approaching the intersection), since this intersection allows right turn on red.

The red Honda driver didn't like my lane position and laid on the horn for at least 7 seconds as we came to a stop at the red light. Through out the time we were stopped, he stuck his head out of the driver side window and yelled a long series of verbal abuse at me. When he first started yelling, I turned to look at him, and when I saw that he wasn't trying to ask me for a direction or offering anything aside from the 'bikes don't belong on the road' tirade, I turned back and just ignored him. He continued to rant on and I continued to ignore it until he said that, "I can run you over right here right now. There's nothing to stop me from just running you over. You are a bicycle in the middle of the f---ing road."

At that point I decided I had better get some evidence of this guy, so I pulled out my camera and photographed his car, making sure to catch his license plate and that of one other car/witness nearby. When the light turned green and the intersection was clear I proceeded with the flow of traffic, riding on the sharrow markers (and pointing down to a couple of them when I realized that he was sticking right behind me) in order to stay out the door zone of the parallel parked cars. Whenever there were long enough stretches where no car was parallel parked and the lane was wide enough, I scooted to the right to let the cars following me pass. All of them did except for this red Honda, who now tried to get me to pull over. (I wasn't all that keen on doing so... After all, I was commuting somewhere and he didn't seem like good company to hang with).

The first time he did that I wondered if he was going to try to squeeze me into the curb or something, so I pulled out the camera and taped it in video mode. The second time I heard him apologize, so I pulled over at the Thrift Store/Bank of America parking lot (where there were people around) to see what he had to say. He got out of the car and walked over and apologized for 'behaving like a jackass'. He said he was concerned because I was 'in the middle of the road, and slow' (I was in the left-center of the 'straight or right turn' lane approaching a red light, so of course, I was slow, as slow as all the other vehicles coming to a stop at the red light there! :P ). He asked that I not report him to the police, and that his uncle was hit by a car while riding his bicycle, so he is sensitive to such things and doesn't want me to get hit.

The guy did seem genuinely contrite and apologetic. Granted, it might also be because he knew I got a good photograph of him and his car, and didn't want to get in trouble with the cops. But we parted on a handshake and good wishes... So I'm not filing any police report on this incident. However, I'm not the best judge of people, so I'm still putting this account down here just in case he relapses and goes ape again on another cyclist. Hopefully he won't.
    • CommentAuthorShady John

Smorg, you're a great diplomat. I doubt I would have handled that situation nearly as well. These guys are bullies at heart, and he probably figured he could push around a small woman. He was wrong! And I don't believe for two seconds that he is actually contrite. He just believed he was going to get in trouble, so he said and did what he thought he had to do to save his ass.
    • CommentAuthorsd_mike

If he was "so concerned" then why act like an ass? Why treat someone else that way when "his uncle was hit". I have little sympathy for such people. If he truly meant anything he said, he would not have knowingly done what he did. I would have reported him.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSmorg

Thanks, John. :o)

I suspect you & Mike maybe right that he was more scared of getting reported than really sorry, though I'm a big softie and would rather give a second chance. I've found that sometimes true contrition can be sort of induced by unearned kindness. And I was very glad that we parted on good note... so he was less likely to feel like harassing the next cyclist he ran into after that, at least for little while longer than he would have been otherwise.

And the incident is now documented on CCDB... so if he does relapse, it won't be hard to establish 'pattern of behavior'.
    • CommentAuthorsd_mike
    • CommentTimeOct 31st 2015

It really depends on how something is also perceived. Someone yelling "way to go" or something similar out a car window to a cyclist may come off as something bad. Generally, yelling things out car windows is a bad idea no matter what the intentions. Same for this idiot. "He was concerned" still sounds like bs. I too get concerned for other cyclists when I'm out there driving or on my motorcycle. I STILL give them the room I would expect others to give me. I still show them respect. When I'm splitting lanes/filtering, and there is bicycle ahead of me, I give plenty of space, make sure not to appear that I'm "revving" my engine either. Truly showing concern means to treat them with respect not to "teach them a lesson". I'm glad your experience ended well, it could have gone otherwise.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbilld

The fact that he backed off as soon as he realized he was being photographed makes me think he's on parole or has warrant out on him.
    Michell, thanks for your endorsement of CCDB :-)
    This evidence we collect will prove to have a meaningful impact for someone, someday
    Help us spread the word, and united, we can slowly reshape the landscape we ride in
    Everyone, take a few minutes, and register/report the cager that almost killed you

Photographic evidence is helpful but not necessary
    A good description and a plate # will suffice
    •  
      CommentAuthorSmorg

One of my next upgrades would be to get an onboard cam (or two, front and rear) indeed. When I turned around to photograph him and his car (and at least one car next to us) I pretty much thought of it as me making it easier for the cops to catch the guy after he had ran me over. :oP

'Photographing the perp' has been a rather effective tactic for getting bullies to back off for me. This is the second time so far... My first CCDB report was - gasp - from another incident on El Cajon Blvd in E College area, and the perp there also backed off after I snapped a photo of him. Of course, it's better if you do that while stopped at the light or off the side of the road rather than while riding (I've just been shooting pictures while riding so much that I can pretty much take the camera out, snap a shot, and have it back in the jersey pocket within 5 seconds or so). :o)

Smorg:sometimes true contrition can be sort of induced by unearned kindness

I think there's some truth in this. He's a bully and he got caught, and yet someone was still nice to him. It could make him think twice before doing it again. Maybe...
    •  
      CommentAuthorbilld
    • CommentTimeNov 1st 2015

I've pointed down at my rear facing camera more than once and had a honker/tailgater back off.
    Well it appears Alpine Sheriffs are good to their word. After last Sundays buzzing by EAGLDY, they were indeed out in force today on Dehesa and Tavern Rd. as promised. We've never seen so many sheriffs. So as we reach the end of the Gauntlet (no shoulder Tavern Rd,) I wave to one officer as he turns around, then a Vette tailgated closely by EAGLDY pass us going kinda fast but with maybe 5' clear :-). Well the sheriff floors it past us to catch up..we believe to pull them over but they all continue out of site.
    Timestamps are wrong 11/01/15 around 9:25
    https://youtu.be/74lBJIBB-s0

About 9:45 on Lower Dehesa a Red Toyota pickup CA 5T20513 passes me making no effort to move over and within 2', not an aggressive act so no report to CCDB....but I can log it here.
    Watch out for this enraged motorist on Soledad!
    http://closecalldatabase.com/incident/show-detail/384/
    •  
      CommentAuthorbilld
    • CommentTimeNov 12th 2015

Shut Up Legs:Watch out for this enraged motorist on Soledad!
    http://closecalldatabase.com/incident/show-detail/384/
    It's amazing how psycho some people are. It's really easy to do the speed limit down Via Capri without even pedaling. I usually find myself stuck behind a vehicle going slower than I'd like as well.

They often complain about cyclists slowing them down but even when you aren't, they still get mad because it's not about you slowing them down. It's about us invading what they believe to be their territory.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSmorg

That dude on Mt Soledad sure is off the rail. :oP Classic bully behavior... have a bad day = take it out on someone more vulnerable than you are who didn't have anything to do with it.

I've had similar things happen to me when I drive in a car at the speed limit, in the same area. People in our society are spoiled little brats, by and large. I find that those driving expensive cars around La Jolla tend to be among the worst. The sense of entitlement is incredible.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSmorg
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2015

Shady John:I've had similar things happen to me when I drive in a car at the speed limit, in the same area.

The weird thing for me is how often I run into people who really believe that the posted speed limit is the 'lower limit', and that they are supposed to drive at least that fast or faster... No joke. And whenever they make comments to that effect at news articles of car crashes or on facebook group pages (especially the Jamul page), they get tons of likes. It's mind-blowing to me that people are not only confusing the maximum allowed speed in perfect driving condition with the minimum, they don't realize that there is no such thing as a minimum speed limit at all. :P
    Entitlement has no speed limit, or traffic lights, or stop sign limit lines, or
    •  
      CommentAuthorbilld
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2015

Shut Up Legs:Entitlement has no speed limit, or traffic lights, or stop sign limit lines, or
    QFT
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2015 edited

About 5 years ago I got a ticket for not stopping on a red light before making a right turn. After that, I decided that I was going to try to obey all traffic laws while driving. You can only imagine the grief I get--the tailgating, the quick passes with glares. It's incredible what people will do. The most recent incident involved the guy calling me a f-ing c*cksucker for "driving like an old lady." This was after I caught up to him at the next stop light while driving at the speed limit. In truth, he was embarrassed for having to face me--for losing his anonymity and realizing he might be held accountable for his actions. Life for a social animal is a tenuous balance between cheating and accountability. Put in a situation in which they likely will not be caught, and will likely remain anonymous and unaccountable for their actions, people will do whatever they can get away with. And they always find a way to believe that what they are doing is justified. Self-deceit is an inherent part of human nature. As I pass through my sixth decade on this planet, I realize more than ever that we are basically large, bipedal apes who evolved to be very good at dominating our environment, but we haven't escaped our origins.
    The saga of the serial bad motorist in Alpine continues

112215 Update: Our group was again stopped on the wide shoulder at top of Dehesa, EAGLDY came down Japatul honking and blaring horn at high speed, passing several cyclists up the road within 3', well clear of us again. A few minutes later the cyclists up the road approached and reported her close passing and harrassment. I called Officer Kussler, he agreed this has to stop, in an effort to catch her in the act he said he would set up his team in ambush next Sunday.

http://closecalldatabase.com/incident/show-detail/368/
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeNov 23rd 2015

After having several witnesses, on multiple separate occasions, report her aggressive behaviors to law enforcement, it is hard to understand why the police still needs to witness this for themselves - if nothing else to have speak to her about her behavior.

If someone was walking down the street, verbally threatening people (with or without a weapon), would you not think that the police would take some kind of action, without needing to lie in wait to first witness these threats themselves? Furthermore, if such person made threats with a deadly weapon (say, a handgun), it usually wouldn't take a whole lot of escalation before the police shot the person, ostensibly to protect the public and themselves.

Why such a big difference in how the police responds to threats - whether made with or without deadly weapons? /rhetorical
    It takes ALOT to convince LEO that a car is being used as a deadly weapon
    Does an officer have to witness it to cite her? Is it true or am I not pushing correct buttons?
    My video is not that damning, most are not.
    The officer has reacted well- more patrols, which led to him pulling her over and talking (didnt work).
    If nothing changes this Sunday, we may just appear at her church and see if her fellows know why shes in such a hurry to see God..
    • CommentAuthorT
    • CommentTimeApr 21st 2016

Unfortunately saw a very close call with a teenage kid (no helmet) today vs an SUV. near the local high school. 0750am so everyone rushing to get to their respective school drop offs by 8/815 bell. lots of cars waiting to turn left at a solid red, backing up a long way, allowing the right lane to be wide open. the SUV wanted to turn right at the red to drop off kid at school (likely) and so was flooring it along the right lane since it was wide open to rush to the red light to turn right.

kid was coming from perpendicular street (with green) and turned right on green onto my street so was face to face with me and all the other backed up cars. for some reason / without really looking up, noticed the backup of cars and swerved through to the left between the backed up cars (maybe to hop up to the sidewalk or to salmon on the side of the road?) but unfortunately swerved through the stopped cars just a second in front of the racing oncoming car.

i noticed the approaching SUV in the mirror and saw him swerve through the stopped cars and laid on my horn. luckily the SUV slammed on their brakes and the kid kind of 'hopped back off the bike' next to the curb. he then just jumped onto the sidewalk and kept going and the SUV went to the red and turned right.

Totally could have been prevented by the biker following normal road rules and just going to the 50 foot away 4-way stop sign and turning left there instead of cutting through a blind line into oncoming traffic.

Parents teach your kids proper riding rules. i'm glad he's okay but it was half a second from being launched from impact :(
    •  
      CommentAuthorbilld
    • CommentTimeApr 21st 2016

I see that far too often.
    Register at closecalldatabase.com and help stop dangerous motorists by reporting them
    Local email blast from yesterday:

Greetings from the Close Call Database for Cyclists. You are receiving this message because an incident has been reported by a cyclist in your area.

Please review the incident and note the vehicle and driver descriptions. If you have had a previous encounter with the vehicle in question, please reply to this email with details.

You may wish to share this email with other cyclists that ride in the area where the incident occurred.

You can find the details here.

Ride Safely,

Ernest Ezis
    Close Call Database

http://closecalldatabase.com/incident/show-detail/509/
    •  
      CommentAuthorbilld
    • CommentTimeMay 24th 2016

Not about the database but about the same thing that it's trying to do:

https://pvcycling.wordpress.com/2016/05/24/the-people-police/
    Yes, this is the same topic. This has been getting around on media quite a bit, and hopefully starts cyclists reporting these incidents more to police. Thanks Bill.
    Seth's blog (several) about the cagers in PVE, and a couple of direct emails with him finally gave me the advice I needed to deal with the sheriff regarding this cager EAGLDY in Alpine. I never knew to insist it is Assault with a deadly weapon.
    Yesterday I went to Alpine Sheriff and demanded they charge for assault. After dispensing with the close-minded deputy, I sat with the Sargent and I think the evidence I'm presenting might get a fair shake. He did ask for intent which I could only answer "her repeated attempts, one after another clearly demonstrates intent".
    Seth gave me the legal words too.
    "Thus, any operation of a vehicle by a person knowing facts that would lead a reasonable person to realize a battery will probably and directly result may be charged as an assault with a deadly weapon.”
    Im going back to deliver a disc with the video evidence, and hear the sargents review of the evidence.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbilld
    • CommentTimeMay 26th 2016 edited

•  
      CommentAuthorbilld
    • CommentTimeMay 26th 2016

•  
      CommentAuthorPaul
    • CommentTimeMay 29th 2016 edited

Shut Up Legs:102515
    Typical Sunday coffee ride route took me up toward Alpine on Northbound on Tavern Road. The uphill stretch from Dehesa Rd. to Hawks Vista is a gauntlet with no shoulder and we get no love from the motorists here. One car in particular has buzzed us on Sunday morning here maybe 15 times, though she had taken a siesta for maybe the last 5 months but returned today and buzzed me within 2 feet. You can see the first 2 cars are courteous with their left tires across the yellow line, then PT Cruiser Lady's left tire is close to the line then approaching me (last rider) she swerves right in my direction as she passes close, then almost touching the white line some distance in front of me-for emphasis. Doesnt look dramatic but it is intentional and it is wreckless endangerment and she must be stopped. I have a feeling I know where she works due to the vanity plate. I am placing this video on Alpine Nextdoor.com, maybe a local will out her, and I've had good luck with local law enforcement on that site

Once last summer I was alone in same area heading East on Japatul and she approached westbbound, crossed the double yellow to buzz me on the far right shoulder.

This incident clearly convinced me I needed a Fly6 camera, but I couldnt afford one. I finally got mine a week ago. The date/time stamp on the camera continue to be elusive to set correctly.

I will bet there are many other stories of this serial bad motorist

Help us stop her .

video here
    https://youtu.be/-ZtG6tcvoGY

We're getting quite familiar with EAGL LDY - we had an encounter where she circled back to yell some more. It's usually on the climb up Tavern from Dehesa where there is no shoulder in places as shown in the video.

I think this is her: https://www.facebook.com/nancy.conney?fref=ts
    •  
      CommentAuthorbilld
    • CommentTimeMay 29th 2016 edited

She might need to become famous, and not in a good way. Does anybody have any news contacts that might be interested in covering this and does anyone who's been harassed/buzzed by her want to talk to them? The more the better.

I kind of doubt that the Glendale brake check driver would have been charged if not for the media coverage.

Just in case anyone reading this doesn't realize, it's probably not a good idea to try to contact her directly unless you're with law enforcement or the news media acting in a professional capacity. It's going to be seen as harassment, which won't go well and could lead to charges or lawsuits against you.
    Hello Paul
    Her shitty game sucks and it has to end. I knew there had to be others thanks for letting us know. Can you help us.
    Should you write a report of your incident they'd have to accept it.
    Im going to Alpine Sherrifs dept 3:00 one afternoon this week, trying for tomorrow but shit happens.
    Dave
    •  
      CommentAuthorPaul
    • CommentTimeMay 31st 2016

Shut Up Legs:Hello Paul
    Her shitty game sucks and it has to end. I knew there had to be others thanks for letting us know. Can you help us.
    Should you write a report of your incident they'd have to accept it.
    Im going to Alpine Sherrifs dept 3:00 one afternoon this week, trying for tomorrow but shit happens.
    Dave

She accepted my friend request. Nothing about bikes on there. I'll just sit and watch.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbilld
    • CommentTimeJun 19th 2016

Someone reported what sounds to me like an assault in Torrey Pines Park.

http://closecalldatabase.com/incident/show-detail/568/
    •  
      CommentAuthorPaul
    • CommentTimeJun 21st 2016

billd:Someone reported what sounds to me like an assault in Torrey Pines Park.

http://closecalldatabase.com/incident/show-detail/568/

That's Sumi. I directed her to the database.
    Road rage inside the park...slow the hell down people! That's my safe commute/fun climb lately.
    Sumi went thru a shit sandwich experience with this asshole trying to kill her and reporting it to useless LEO.
    Much good was done by posting a detailed report :-)

That's helping us all.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbilld
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd 2016

I've never had a problem there. The speed limit is low to begin with.

A driver who endangers a cyclist there has serious mental problems. That guy needs to be in jail.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd 2016

I commuted from Cardiff to UTC on bike from 1996 to 1999. Inside of the park. Never saw this kind of abhorrent behavior. I hope they nail the jerk.
    • CommentAuthorfjl307
    • CommentTimeJul 3rd 2016

Posted it to close call database but figure it's also useful here. Up Santa Fe St. in City of San Diego, there's an older gentleman driving a white Prius with CA plates 9188G DP (with disabled plates) performed dangerous and unsafe passing on myself and two other cyclists today. He was easily 6 inches from me and I was in the middle of the lane on the sharrow markings going about 20 mph or so. Upon confronting the individual, he was extremely salty and basically said the close passing is what we deserve if we're going to be in the lane. Santa Fe St. is sharrowed and is the only road that leads to the Rose Canyon bike path which is fairly popular on weekends for all types and ages of cyclists. He lives in the RV park there (see the report on CCD for why I know this) so I expect he's been an issue before or he'll become an issue due to the large numbers of cyclist traffic on that street. I didn't know about the two other cyclists until I passed them later on. I warned them about a white Prius and they indicated they'd been passed really closely and they saw him do it to me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbilld
    • CommentTimeJul 3rd 2016 edited

I went to look at it and noticed that there have been 4 reports in the San Diego area in the last 5 days.

Did you put the video on YT and email the URL to the CCD admin?
    @fjl307 thanks for posting to CCDB and here. Many of us use Santa Fe regularly so this report is especially useful. I have yet to encounter this a-hole. Most motorists have no idea what sharing the lane means, and Santa Fe shoulder looks like a bike lane to most. The new separated path thru here cant come soon enough.
    CCDB just sent a local email blast due to a report of a 3 foot infraction by a CHP on Genesee this am. Scary close pass at full speed. I hope this gets taken to the CHP, I'd like to ask WTF were they thinking?
    I too had a scary close pass here in the construction area that made me reroute my commute.
    http://closecalldatabase.com/incident/show-detail/624/
    Sent to CHP this AM
    Dear Sir
    On the morning of July 12 a fellow cyclist was passed way too close by a CHP unit on Genessee and posted the video and report linked below. I appears to quite clearly show a CHP unit passing wayyyyy to close, with disregard to others safety, and no reduction in speed. Seriously, the officer should write himself a ticket for violating CVC 21760.
    I thought it should be brought to CHP commander attention as there seems an obvious training problem with regards to cyclist safety and 3 foot law.
    I would like to meet in person with other cycling advocates to hear a senior officer’s explanation of this unsafe behavior and what will be done to prevent this or worse happening again.
    Sincerely
    Dave Cairncross
    619 572-4584
    Dcairncross2@gmail.com

http://closecalldatabase.com/incident/show-detail/624/
    •  
      CommentAuthorbilld
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2016 edited

👍
    I got a very apologetic call from CHP in about 45 minutes. They had already identified and questioned the officer that was driving which was impressive! "He apologized stating he didnt think it was that close". I requested all officers to first slow down...and CHANGE LANES to pass only when safe, there was an open lane....this was not safe at all. The placating assurances of in-place training programs, and apologies ensued, followed by assurances that this wont happen again. There was no laugh when I asked for him to ticket himself, but a flat refusal.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbilld
    • CommentTimeJul 18th 2016 edited

That's a better response than I would have expected. Good job.

CHP tends to lean towards: "It's your fault because you're a riding a bike on the road".