Not signed in (Sign In)
    • CommentAuthorneohippy
    • CommentTimeNov 12th 2015

My most direct route to UTC requires the use of a dirt path. Basically if you map out a bike route from the Sorrento Valley coaster train stop to La Jolla Commons you should see it. There's a an unpaved path from Rosselle St. to Eastgate Mall. Can anyone comment on this? Is it safe to use?
    •  
      CommentAuthorPaul

I haven't been on it in a couple years, but Sigurd used to take us on it on road bikes. It was fun and fine. How it holds up in the rain may be a different story. Shady?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd

I do it in both directions on a 28-32mm tired road bike. The surface is far from perfect - loose in places, rutted in others. There's a small creek at the low point that is somewhat wet year round, but easily passable during the dry season. I suspect after rain it may hard to pass without getting wet.

All in all, I like this little utility road a lot - it is a calm oasis and a nice break from the car centric roads of Sorrento Valley and UTC. If I commuted in this area, and I had enough time to justify it, I would definitely do this trail in both directions, every day.
    Eastgate is so much better than freeway5/Genesee. I'm using eastgate trail 2x a week on 25 or 28 mm tires. Most of it is good packed dirt with only a few lose sand sections. The creek crossing is the roughest part but can easily be walked. The trail holds up pretty well to rain, I avoid it for a day or two.
    • CommentAuthorneohippy

Nice to know! My "nice commuter" has 32 tires and my "beater" is a Mtb with 2.0 tires. Thanks for the input!
    • CommentAuthorPetteri

I sometimes take the trail ("sewer trail") up, but generally find the I-5 more pleasant. Especially in the dark! Depends on your comfort level off-road vs traffic I guess. I also don't know what the I-5 is like going up in the mornings; during the afternoon rush-hour a bike is often faster than cars.
    • CommentAuthorShady John
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2015

Just ride your MTB on your commute and all will be good. I ride that road to get to and from PQ/Del Mar Mesa on a MTB with 2.2s. You can do it on a road bike, but it would be absolutely no fun, and you'd have to descend like an old lady. I'm no fan of "underbiking." It's not such a hardship to ride fat tires on the road for a few miles, if it enables you to handle rough terrain securely. As a compromise, you could fit 37-42 mm "inverted tread" type tires or knobbies with a solid center line on your MTB--you'll ride pretty efficiently on the road with good tread life, yet your dirt road capabilities will be vastly improved vs a road bike.

Note that you can dramatically shorten the dirt road distance by taking Campus Point and then hiking your bike down the steep dirt road called Campus Point Hill on Google Maps.

Note also that the new dedicated bike path between the Coaster station and UCSD (Voight) is scheduled to be open in 2017 (if not earlier):

http://www.keepsandiegomoving.com/I-5-Corridor/I-5-genesee-intro.aspx
    • CommentAuthorneohippy
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2015 edited

Petteri:I sometimes take the trail ("sewer trail") up, but generally find the I-5 more pleasant. Especially in the dark! Depends on your comfort level off-road vs traffic I guess. I also don't know what the I-5 is like going up in the mornings; during the afternoon rush-hour a bike is often faster than cars.
    Wow! Are you serious? Biking on the shoulder of I-5? That's intimidating, but I guess it could make a statement.
    • CommentAuthorneohippy
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2015 edited

Shady John:Just ride your MTB on your commute and all will be good. I ride that road to get to and from PQ/Del Mar Mesa on a MTB with 2.2s. You can do it on a road bike, but it would be absolutely no fun, and you'd have to descend like an old lady. I'm no fan of "underbiking." It's not such a hardship to ride fat tires on the road for a few miles, if it enables you to handle rough terrain securely. As a compromise, you could fit 37-42 mm "inverted tread" type tires or knobbies with a solid center line on your MTB--you'll ride pretty efficiently on the road with good tread life, yet your dirt road capabilities will be vastly improved vs a road bike.

Note that you can dramatically shorten the dirt road distance by taking Campus Point and then hiking your bike down the steep dirt road called Campus Point Hill on Google Maps.

Note also that the new dedicated bike path between the Coaster station and UCSD (Voight) is scheduled to be open in 2017 (if not earlier
    http://www.keepsandiegomoving.com/I-5-Corridor/I-5-genesee-intro.aspx

My "main bike" fits up to 35c tires. Down the road I may have the chain stays crimped to fit up to 38c tires. I never imagined that I would need it on a commute. Thanks for the info on Campus Point Hill. I saw that on the map and was wondering about that myself.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPaul
    • CommentTimeNov 14th 2015

neohippy:
    Petteri:I sometimes take the trail ("sewer trail") up, but generally find the I-5 more pleasant. Especially in the dark! Depends on your comfort level off-road vs traffic I guess. I also don't know what the I-5 is like going up in the mornings; during the afternoon rush-hour a bike is often faster than cars.
    Wow! Are you serious? Biking on the shoulder of I-5? That's intimidating, but I guess it could make a statement.

It's legal there and no big deal. We do it all the time. Give it a shot. It's fun.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeNov 14th 2015 edited

Shady John:You can do it on a road bike, but it would be absolutely no fun, and you'd have to descend like an old lady.:
    Shady - your comment reminded me that I wasn't very clear in my description about riding the trail on a road bike: It is possible, and -- to me -- certainly fun, but were I to do it on regular basis, my MTB (or other bike with wider tires) would be safer and more comfortable.

neohippy:Wow! Are you serious? Biking on the shoulder of I-5?
    Freeway: Faster and smoother
    Trail: Superior by all other conceivable measure, IMO.

But by all means - try them both for yourself, as prefs vary.
    • CommentAuthorPetteri
    • CommentTimeNov 16th 2015

Paul:
    neohippy:Wow! Are you serious? Biking on the shoulder of I-5? That's intimidating, but I guess it could make a statement.

It's legal there and no big deal. We do it all the time. Give it a shot. It's fun.

Yup. Specifically it's the official posted bike route between the Sorrento Valley and Genesee exits. Don't ride further down though!
    • CommentAuthorShady John
    • CommentTimeNov 16th 2015

And it will go away within a couple of years, so ride I-5 before it's gone!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeNov 16th 2015 edited

Shady John:And it will go away within a couple of years, so ride I-5 before it's gone!
    So the new I-5 frontage bike path will service bicycle traffic in both directions then, John? I assume the entire I-5 interchange will need to be reconfigured, then - otherwise, westbound bikes on Genesee will need to cross paths with some high-speed auto traffic turning right from Genesee westbound to I-5 northbound.
    • CommentAuthorbossvoss
    • CommentTimeNov 17th 2015 edited

Shady John:And it will go away within a couple of years, so ride I-5 before it's gone!

In a presentation last week, Seth Cutter from CalTrans said a decision has not been made whether to keep the Northbound portion of I-5 open for bikes after the new path opens. He said it is the "operations" group that makes that decision and he is not in that group. The concern from bike clubs is that their group size and speed will make the new 2-way path dangerous when downhill riders come across slower uphill riders, especially if the uphill rider is not looking ahead and wobbles into the opposite lane. Apparently a rider died from a similar situation on the Highway 52 bike path.

Seth also said he is open to ideas for bike traffic calming, since typical measures aren't safe for bikes (narrowing the lane, adding curves, speed bumps/humps, etc.)
    Sigurd
    My understanding was the new seperate 2 way bike path will start at Voight dr northbound and go OVER Genesee alongside the 5 all the way to Sorrento valley-no need to use genesee at all-unless you need to. Un named dangerous bike club needs a closed course IMHO
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeNov 17th 2015

Shut Up Legs:Un-named dangerous bike club needs a closed course IMHO
    Their group rides are generally known as "Roadie Critical Mass". :P