Not signed in (Sign In)
    • CommentAuthorneohippy
    • CommentTimeApr 7th 2016

Hi Everyone,

I live in Torrey Hills (Carmel Valley) and commute to UTC via the I-5 shoulder (bike path in progress). The south bound exit ramp of I-5 onto Genesee can be tricky for cyclists as the middle lane can either by a right or left turn. I usually go: right turn lane, merge into left side of middle lane, and then turn left from middle lane.

This morning as I was in the middle lane trying to make a left turn when a charcoal grey Honda Accord proceeded to over take me on the left and make a right turn right turn into my path. We collided. The left side of my bike and body made contact with the right side of the car and scrapped down the side as he drove forward and make a right turn! I crashed in the middle of the intersection and then he drove off! The driver of the car behind me checked asked if I was ok, and after checking myself, and brushing it off, I said I was "ok" and proceeded to ride off.

I am understanding how this can easily happen even if no one is technically at fault (but I really think the driver is at fault here). But then to drive off without checking on a cyclist that fell in the intersection!? I feel down about humanity.

Seth
    • CommentAuthorJSnook

Sorry to hear about this - but glad you are ok and hope your bike is ok too!

I used to commute through there daily and did the same strategy of moving into the middle lane when there was a gap in the traffic and it was safe to do so. For sure it sounds like the driver of the car violated your right of way. It is not 100% clear from your post but it reads as if the car turned right from the left-most lane, which would certainly be an illegal turn. Leaving the scene of a collision is always illegal, but in this case I'd fully expect the driver to claim they didn't see you or realize they had collided with you.
    • CommentAuthorneohippy

I'm really lucky that I wasn't seriously hurt and my bike wasn't damaged. The driver did ignore my right-of-way but did not make an illegal turn as right and left turns can be made from that middle lane.
    Glad you arent hurt. The driver showed their true (shitty) colors. My commute is Bay Park to Torrey Hills. That interchange is just best avoided with all of the construction and congestion. Ill ride around it either up Eastgate Trail or go miles around to Torrey Pines, sometimes I take 5 south to check on the construction then turn right-north on genesee, then south thru UCSD .
    • CommentAuthorneohippy
    • CommentTimeApr 8th 2016

I was exclusively taking the Eastgate Trail until after the big rains we had in late Dec 2015. Now the trail has a bunch of ruts, sandy spots, and stream (sewer) crossing has gotten rougher. I've been wanting to go out there on a weekend and do some trail work. Anyone up for that?
    •  
      CommentAuthorbatmick

neohippy:I was exclusively taking the Eastgate Trail until after the big rains we had in late Dec 2015. Now the trail has a bunch of ruts, sandy spots, and stream (sewer) crossing has gotten rougher. I've been wanting to go out there on a weekend and do some trail work. Anyone up for that?

I actually took it two weeks ago to get to the Coaster station after a trip to UTC. It was rideable with my commuter except for a fallen tree that blocks one of the creek crossings. Had to dismount and carry there.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSmorg

Uggghh. So sorry that you got hit and ran, Seth! :o( I'm very glad that you and the bike survived it okay, though that has still got to be a traumatic experience nonetheless. The hitting bit is maybe forgiveable but the the running bit makes me wish all sorts of bad karma on that driver!

Would go do the trail work with you guys, but I'm afraid I'm skipping town for a year starting next Tuesday. :o( Hopefully by the time I get back both the I-5 and the I-15 (from Camino del Rio South to Adams Ave) cycletracks will be completed and opened (and we will no longer have to deal with such problematic intersections!)!
    •  
      CommentAuthorbilld
    • CommentTimeApr 9th 2016

neohippy:I'm really lucky that I wasn't seriously hurt and my bike wasn't damaged. The driver did ignore my right-of-way but did not make an illegal turn as right and left turns can be made from that middle lane.
    Glad you're OK.

What was your position within the middle lane?

You said you normally go to the left side of the middle lane. If you were doing that, then if he passed on the left then he would have had to be mostly if not entirely in the left lane. I always go left of center there but still close enough to center to discourage passing within the lane.

Hit-and-run, moving right when it's not clear and safe to do so, right turn from the left lane. These are all illegal. With a driver like that, odds are he didn't signal either.
    neohippy:I'm really lucky that I wasn't seriously hurt and my bike wasn't damaged. The driver did ignore my right-of-way but did not make an illegal turn as right and left turns can be made from that middle lane.

Glad you are okay. Invest in a Fly 6 rear camera for continuous video on your commute. The footage can be reviewed and easily downloaded or uploaded for evidence. There are many small video cams for the helmet or handle bars. See the video/camera thread.