Not signed in (Sign In)
    • CommentAuthort.e.d
    • CommentTimeAug 8th 2016

I would like to start a discussion about some backroads touring around the hills and mountains of San Diego County.

I'm thinking of single day rides in the 50-150mi range, and weekends in the 200mi range.

Please post up if you're interested in these types of rides. There are countless miles of fire roads in East and North county. Let's go explore them!

I'll be doing some fitness-building rides in the coming months to explore road options and routes. The more, the merrier.

Cheers,
    Ted
    • CommentAuthorCurtis

Hey Ted,

I like your idea. The mileage figures might bit a bit large for me. However, this could prove to be fun.

Curtis
    • CommentAuthort.e.d

Curtis:Hey Ted,

I like your idea. The mileage figures might bit a bit large for me. However, this could prove to be fun.

Curtis

No worries, Curtis. I'd favor higher turnout over higher miles. Don't be a stranger. Hope to ride with you soon!

Ted
    •  
      CommentAuthorbilld
    • CommentTimeAug 9th 2016 edited

How fast? I'm not fast. On a good day, my 50-100 mile rides tend to average around 15mph for moving time (a lot of days average slower than 15mph). I use auto stop/start on the computer though so stopped time is not counted in that but it does include hills and wind. I'm not sure I can handle more than 100. I did 100 on Wednesday (coastal ride to Oceanside and back) and I'm not sure I could have gone much further. I don't really like being the guy that's holding everyone up.
    • CommentAuthort.e.d
    • CommentTimeAug 9th 2016

That sounds a lot like my pace as well.

I like to make quite a few stops during a long ride, to stretch and eat and drink. My last big ride was from Long Beach to San Diego and I believe it took me around 11 hours.

No one would get dropped from these rides, although self-sufficiency is a requirement. We can hash out the details on the shorter, warm-up rides.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbilld
    • CommentTimeAug 9th 2016 edited

I did a lot of stops on the century as well. I find that it's better to err on the side of excessive hydration on a long ride than err on under hydration. The bonk is much more likely and much worse without adequate hydration. The down side is more stops to pee and get more water.
    I may have to find a way to increase my riding time and milage. I suppose we can do shorter rides with higher intensity to build up stamina and be ready in the fall.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbilld

Just have to work up to it. A year ago I was doing 20-30's at most. I did a lot of 50's since then, occasionally doing a 60 or so to see how I handled it. I finally got to where a 60 wasn't too bad and went for 70 and then an 85 and then 100. As I mentioned above, as the distances get long, the hydration gets more critical. I can get by with 2 * 24 oz plain water on a 50 but I feel crappy at the end. When I did the 100, I had 5 * 24 oz bottles downed before I hit the 50 point and I was still going pretty strong. Ended up finishing 12 bottles before the end. I was also supplementing with a home made energy drink (I carried extra and added it to the water for several of the bottles) that had a fair amount of maltodextrin and dextrose as well as some potassium salt in it.
    • CommentAuthorCurtis

When do we ride?
    •  
      CommentAuthorbilld
    • CommentTimeAug 11th 2016 edited

• CommentAuthort.e.d
    • CommentTimeAug 12th 2016 edited

How about a Pamo Road exploration ride on the 28th? We can head out of Ramona and see if we can make it over to Santa Ysabel for pie via backroads.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbilld
    • CommentTimeAug 13th 2016

Time and meeting place?
    • CommentAuthort.e.d
    • CommentTimeAug 17th 2016

I would suggest getting as early of a start as possible. It gets awfully hot up around Ramona. I will try to recon some parking around Black Canyon Rd and Black Canyon Pl. The road turns dirt around there and heads into the hills.

I'm always open to other suggestions, but that's a start.
    • CommentAuthort.e.d
    • CommentTimeAug 17th 2016 edited

•  
      CommentAuthorPaul
    • CommentTimeAug 18th 2016

This may be of interest. It's the race we do every Spring. It includes Black Canyon. You can find multiple versions of the route on Strava or Ridewithgps. BTW, I got up at 4 Saturday to ride up and climb Palomar before going thru Santa Ysabel - nonetheless, it was over 100 on South Grade and 115 in Santa Ysabel.

http://www.ccsd.com/dirty-devil/
    • CommentAuthorShady John
    • CommentTimeAug 21st 2016

For Black Canyon, you can start in Ramona--did this once and parked in a little-used corner of the Albertson's parking lot. There is a cool down underway, and the forecast high for both Ramona and Mt. Laguna (to catch differences in elevation/topography) for August 28 is 83 F.
    • CommentAuthort.e.d
    • CommentTimeAug 23rd 2016

It sounds like some folks have experience on Black Canyon Road. I checked it out last night and it seems like a pretty nice ride. There is a small pull-out parking area where the pavement meets the dirt and would work for a ride start. I only made it in a couple miles as my partner was uncomfortable on the loose, sandy surface.

For those unfamiliar with the road, it's fairly well groomed, with sections of sand, washboard, and the occasional ruts. Seems doable on 28's for a skilled rider. I would say it's comfortable on 35's and up.

For now, we're on for the 28th. I'd like to do an early start if possible, say, around 7am?

Post up here if you're going. I can't remember the policy about making new threads for individual rides.

Cheers,
    Ted
    •  
      CommentAuthorPaul
    • CommentTimeAug 25th 2016

t.e.d:It sounds like some folks have experience on Black Canyon Road. I checked it out last night and it seems like a pretty nice ride. There is a small pull-out parking area where the pavement meets the dirt and would work for a ride start. I only made it in a couple miles as my partner was uncomfortable on the loose, sandy surface.

For those unfamiliar with the road, it's fairly well groomed, with sections of sand, washboard, and the occasional ruts. Seems doable on 28's for a skilled rider. I would say it's comfortable on 35's and up.

For now, we're on for the 28th. I'd like to do an early start if possible, say, around 7am?

Post up here if you're going. I can't remember the policy about making new threads for individual rides.

Cheers,
    Ted

It might be a little looser at the end of the summer but everyone rides the Dirty Devil on road bikes. I'm not great on dirt but I've done the full Black Canyon on 23s and 25s but if you have more, you'll be more comfortable.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbilld
    • CommentTimeAug 25th 2016

I've got a conflict. Have fun everyone.
    • CommentAuthort.e.d
    • CommentTimeAug 28th 2016

So I totally spaced on this ride and did Bike The Bay instead. For once, I'm glad there was so little interest in a group ride. I'll try to schedule better next time.
    • CommentTimeAug 28th 2016

I might be interested in a future ride.
    • CommentAuthorbossvoss
    • CommentTimeSep 1st 2016

Ditto, I am also interested.
    • CommentAuthort.e.d
    • CommentTimeSep 4th 2016

How about October 15th?
    • CommentAuthorbossvoss
    • CommentTimeSep 8th 2016

Works for me
    • CommentAuthort.e.d
    • CommentTimeSep 15th 2016

Okay, let's plan on 10/15 at 7am. Meet at the small dirt parking lot at the intersection of Black Canyon Rd and Pl.

Please post up if you're FOR SURE going.

Thanks.
    • CommentTimeSep 15th 2016

I'm interested, but hard to get too excited about something a month in advance.
    • CommentAuthort.e.d
    • CommentTimeSep 19th 2016

Shady John:I'm interested, but hard to get too excited about something a month in advance.

I hear you. I'm just an obsessive planner. haha

I like to give folks plenty of notice in case they really want to ride. The month of warning gives plenty of time to research the roads and build up some strength if needed.
    • CommentAuthorbossvoss
    • CommentTimeSep 27th 2016

Do you have an estimate of mileage and elevation gain?
    • CommentAuthort.e.d
    • CommentTimeOct 3rd 2016

bossvoss:Do you have an estimate of mileage and elevation gain?

https://goo.gl/maps/VswkC9bgxTm

That's one way. Double it for the round trip.
    • CommentAuthorbossvoss
    • CommentTimeOct 4th 2016

I'm not sure if I am going to make it. Had a minor solo accident and am off the bike for at least a few days for recovery.
    • CommentAuthormfutch
    • CommentTimeOct 5th 2016

2 cents from someone not riding, don't turn around and do an out and back. Continue on 78 towards julian but veer off on old julian rd.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPaul
    • CommentTimeOct 5th 2016

mfutch:2 cents from someone not riding, don't turn around and do an out and back. Continue on 78 towards julian but veer off on old julian rd.

Agree, double Black Canyon and Mesa Grande are not particularly interesting.

Also, not sure what the word "rando" here is meant to imply, but the San Diego Randonneurs brevet schedule for 2017 is tentatively out. It would be nice to see a good turnout again from this group for Rainbow. There are still three events on this year's schedule, now that we're back up and riding: http://www.sandiegorandonneurs.com/
    • CommentAuthort.e.d
    • CommentTimeOct 9th 2016

mfutch:2 cents from someone not riding, don't turn around and do an out and back. Continue on 78 towards julian but veer off on old julian rd.

I had considered this, but drivers on the 78 are particularly hostile towards cyclists and there is no shoulder or wiggle room on that stretch.

Paul, I meant "rando" as in randonneuring. This particular ride may not be very long, but I was trying to get a feel for who is even interested in riding around the backroads of SD county.
    • CommentAuthormfutch
    • CommentTimeOct 10th 2016

It's only 6 miles to Old Julian Rd and pretty much all downhill, so it's over pretty quick. I've ridden it a bunch and never had a problem, even with a loaded touring bike, but it's your ride.
    • CommentAuthort.e.d

I'm canceling this ride due to lack of interest and because I need to spend some quality bike-time with my lady on the fine streets of mid-town. I will post it back up when I decide to do it again.

Have a great and safe weekend, everyone.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPaul

For planning purposes, San Diego Randonneurs is doing a populaire (100k) on December 3. This is a chill way to take a look at randonneuring before you take on a 200. It would be nice to get some new blood into the organization as it starts anew.
    Looks like a group (including me and a few others) are doing an overnight to San Elijo on 10/22. Camp and return on 10/23. Likely leave mid-day. All are welcome at the h/b site.
    It's going to get busy!!! I am planning, independently of you, a trip up there too. Look out for a tall bike in our group!
    Planning another over-nighter at San Elijo on Sat. 11/5 - taking the 9:39 am Coaster to O'side and then Metrolink to San Clemente. Ride south to San Elijo; camp; roll out and ride home. If there is enough interest, I can see about getting a site (as opposed to the h/b site). Presently, I believe we have four planning to camp.
    • CommentAuthort.e.d
    • CommentTimeOct 27th 2016

The Schwinn Lawyer:Planning another over-nighter at San Elijo on Sat. 11/5 - taking the 9:39 am Coaster to O'side and then Metrolink to San Clemente. Ride south to San Elijo; camp; roll out and ride home. If there is enough interest, I can see about getting a site (as opposed to the h/b site). Presently, I believe we have four planning to camp.

Might bump into you! I have some friends riding south from Long Beach and I'm riding north to meet them and then back down to SD.
    Awesome! We should land in San Clemente just before noon and then start rolling south. If they have camping gear, consider hanging out at San Elijo. If enough folks, could nsidering reserving a site.
    I may join you in Oceanside this Saturday and ride down to Encinitas. I will be waiting at Pierview. Not certain about the camping out yet due to a very early travel time on Sunday to Long Beach.
    We had a change of plans and are going to camp at South Carlsbad State Beach, not San Elijo. We lucked out and reserved a site right on the ocean. We will be rolling south from San Clemente at 11:45 am so our estimated time of arrival in Oceanside is 1:15 / 1:30 pm.
    Rolling from Café Madeline in SPark (30th and Juniper) on Sunday, 11/13, at 8:30 am and heading to Alpine. We'll grab a bite in Alpine and then return. Meet at Madeline if interested.
    No response. New rollout is Blind LadybAle house at 8 am, sharp. I will check website just before 8 am to see if anyone responded.
    Next bike packing trip is scheduled for December 17. We have a site reserved at S Carlsbad Stare Beach, site no. 95. My daughter and I (and a few others) are planning to take the Coaster/Metrolink to San Clemente and then ride south. Expect others may just meet at camp site.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPaul
    • CommentTimeNov 22nd 2016

^^ These should really be in the old S24O thread.

Back on the older mixed dirt rides that are more roughriding than randonneuring - we did the Viejas and Boulder Creek dirt sections last week from Alpine. About 60 miles and 7,500 feet. I was on a road bike and it was fine as BC was just graded: https://www.strava.com/activities/780241398
    • CommentAuthormichael_s

I'd just be happy if these s24o's would be somewhere other then 1 mile from my house.

maybe some Anza Borrego trips?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd

Paul:^^ These should really be in the old S24O thread.
    Good thinking - I gave that thread a bump for easier reference.