Not signed in (Sign In)
    • CommentAuthort.e.d
    • CommentTimeMar 27th 2017

Anyone planning on riding Bike The Bay this year? Want to get a team going?

Anyone volunteering?
    •  
      CommentAuthorbatmick
    • CommentTimeMar 28th 2017

I've been meaning to do this for years and this year it looks like it can finally happen. A friend of mine is checking his schedule too. We'll probably book by next week.

t.e.d:Anyone planning on riding Bike The Bay this year? Want to get a team going?

Anyone volunteering?
    • CommentAuthort.e.d

batmick:I've been meaning to do this for years and this year it looks like it can finally happen. A friend of mine is checking his schedule too. We'll probably book by next week.

t.e.d:Anyone planning on riding Bike The Bay this year? Want to get a team going?

Anyone volunteering?

Might want to decide before 4/1 as the price will go up per an email that I got. I am still trying to decide. I reached out to the organizers to see if volunteers get to ride the course at any point. Haven't heard back.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbatmick

t.e.d:
    batmick:I've been meaning to do this for years and this year it looks like it can finally happen. A friend of mine is checking his schedule too. We'll probably book by next week.

Anyone volunteering?

Might want to decide before 4/1 as the price will go up per an email that I got. I am still trying to decide. I reached out to the organizers to see if volunteers get to ride the course at any point. Haven't heard back.

Good to know. Thanks!

Do you know if it is possible to transfer your registration if you end up not being able to ride?
    • CommentAuthorPraxis
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd 2017

I'm doing this with four kids, but I'm still waiting for an answer about tandem registration before I can register (I've emailed and tweeted).

They say both tandem riders need to register, which is fine—but it looks like riders under 10 can't ride alone and hence *can't* register (probably for liability reasons?). Kinda stuck until I get it answered.

Anyone know? And anyone know if rules regarding trail-a-bikes are any different?

I don't think there's a lot of enforcement—and I know I saw plenty of offenders last year—but I'm just trying to comply with the wishes of the organizers here but I can't figure out what they are.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeJun 25th 2017 edited

Bike the Bay is one of San Diego County Bike Coalition's flagship events - have you also tried to contact them?

Failing that, I would just bring printouts of the unanswered questions you sent them: When they have failed to respond to your multiple contacts, you could reasonably assume that when you registered yourself and bike to the event, the sub-10 stokers are free.

What are they going to do - throw you out...
    • CommentAuthorPraxis
    • CommentTimeJun 29th 2017 edited

I got a response: because both tandem riders need to register, both tandem riders need to be over 10. It didn't occur to me that this would be the policy. My Bike Friday Family Tandem would like to have a word (my daughter would, as well...).

We'll manage. Not my ride, not my rules. At the very least it would be nicer to have some of these rules easier to find though. It's funny, I thought this was an issue of "can I give you money" and not "is she allowed to participate". Afraid to ask about trail-a-bikes now: maybe those rules changed too.
    • CommentAuthorShady John
    • CommentTimeJun 29th 2017 edited

My daughter magically gained a couple of years when faced with Amtrak rules about riding unaccompanied. Perhaps your daughter can mature rapidly in the next few days.
    Shady John:...

This... this is all making sense now.

Also, what he said, too.
    • CommentAuthorPraxis
    • CommentTimeJun 30th 2017

Yeah, I really wanted to respect their wishes, as I'm not keen on the whole "the rules don't apply to me" mentality (both personally, and as a role model). But, yeah: we're only a couple months off, and it's a *tandem* for crying out loud. I wouldn't even consider it if I thought there'd be a hazard to others. See y'all there; I'll be on a red Bike Friday Family Tandem pulling a trail-a-bike.