Not signed in (Sign In)
    • CommentAuthort.e.d
    • CommentTimeMay 2nd 2017

Hey all,
    I am looking for an inexpensive place to strip/sandblast a powder-coated frame. I am once again refinishing my fillet-brazed superior as the powder coating that I thought would last forever, hasn't.

I am also looking to bend/realign the rear triangle and install a new headset. Where can I go to get Velo Cult quality work these days? Mission Hills? MJ's? Thomas? I haven't needed expert work done in a long time so I'm out of the loop and any help is much appreciated.

Cheers,
    Ted
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeMay 2nd 2017

I've had Hub and Spoke do work on two bikes recently: One was frame repair and color-match refinish; the other one paint detailing. I was very happy with the results in both instances.
    I'll second Hub & Spoke. That's their bread and butter. They are located where they are in order to be able to offer in-house frame repair and paint; as far as I know they're the only ones who have that ability in-shop besides Joe Bell. I keep hearing people talk about powder coating their frames and it makes me cringe so hard. Get some good automotive-quality paint on that thing and make it shine!
    • CommentAuthort.e.d
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd 2017

JayOtheMountains:I'll second Hub & Spoke. That's their bread and butter. They are located where they are in order to be able to offer in-house frame repair and paint; as far as I know they're the only ones who have that ability in-shop besides Joe Bell. I keep hearing people talk about powder coating their frames and it makes me cringe so hard. Get some good automotive-quality paint on that thing and make it shine!

I hear you, but price factors in pretty hard here. I will check out Hub and Spoke. Thanks for the recommendation. I really like the clear coat on the fillet brazing because you can see the nice big brass fillets where the tubes meet. In the past, I have always just sanded smooth and either spraypainted clearcoat or like last time, powder coated. The finish lasted a few years, but I am going to try a high-heat clear this time that I'm hoping will work better.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd 2017 edited

t.e.d:I hear you, but price factors in pretty hard here.
    If powdercoat is what you are looking for, I had RW Little on Pac Hwy powder- and clear-coat an old MTB frame - it came out great.
    • CommentAuthort.e.d
    • CommentTimeMay 4th 2017

Sigurd:
    t.e.d:I hear you, but price factors in pretty hard here.
    If powdercoat is what you are looking for, I had RW Little on Pac Hwy powder- and clear-coat an old MTB frame - it came out great.

For whatever reason, the powder coat that I got a few years ago didn't last. I just need the frame stripped. I'll check out RW Little. Thanks!