Not signed in (Sign In)
    Hi gang:

I'm traveling to Canada for a bike adventure next month and am sorting out the best way to get my bike there. I'd prefer to ship it a week before I travel to the house where I'm staying. But it looks like the cost is $200.00 (a little more). And I'm concerned that the bike could be delayed at customs.

The other option is to take on the plane, which appears to be much cheaper. There will be some additional, logistical problems if we take on the plane because we have to take a bus from the airport and lugging the box around would be a hassle.

Any words of wisdom? I've checked bikeflights.com, which quoted me the $200. Thanks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPaul
    • CommentTimeJun 10th 2017

That seems like a big extra charge for crossing the border. Are you positive you inputted the size and weight accurately on BF? I sent a 29+ Niner in two boxes to Texas for less than half of that. If so, bummer. Unless you can ride the train up to BC, I don't know another way.
    I've shipped domestically using BF as well and it was super cheap. Looks like the cost savings is going to be worth the hassle of flying with the bikes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPaul
    • CommentTimeJun 11th 2017

The Schwinn Lawyer:I've shipped domestically using BF as well and it was super cheap. Looks like the cost savings is going to be worth the hassle of flying with the bikes.

That sucks. Since you're riding on the route, have you asked the Tour Divide Group on Facebook? I know the main group is already off but there is a lot of experience in the group. Since everyone has to get their bikes to BC, maybe they have a method.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd

It would be pretty cool to own a Ritchey Breakaway:

• CommentAuthorShady John

I've never used Bikeflights. I've shipped several bikes using boxes obtained from bike stores, paying close attention to the dimensional limits for UPS and FedEx. If you exceed certain dimensions, then the cost goes up dramatically. FedEx used to be considered cheaper, not sure if that's still true. $200 sounds high, but on the other hand, I was working on buying a bike from someone in the Toronto area about a year and a half ago (through PinkBike classifieds), and the shipping costs were definitely looking higher than for domestic shipping. The guy was even talking about asking his buddy who frequently went across the US border to try to drive it across and ship from the US.