Not signed in (Sign In)
    The issue of parking has always been a contentious subject to both bicyclist and vehicle users alike. Because of it's relevance to bicycling commuters, I'd like to solicit ideas, opinions and solutions to the varied problems regarding the subject. I'll outline below, some topics that I see as needing careful consideration and debate. Add your own thoughts on these or others you feel need discussion.

Public - Private
    • On street parking vs bike lanes: how best to utilize public space for transit options.
    • On street parking vs Bus Only lanes
    • Street parking density - parallel parking vs diagonal(Back in or head in)
    • Door Zone issues
    • Parking on high traffic roads vs side streets (El Cajon Blvd, Friars Road, Morena Blvd, Pacific Highway, etc.)
    • Parking in Business districts
    • Pick up / Drop off curb space for buses, Ride Share, shuttles, delivery services: FedEx, UPS, USPS, water, pizza, food delivery, moving services etc.
    • Trash Can parking for collection (just kidding; not really).

Bicycle Parking:
    • Relative Safety and security against theft or vandalism
    • Bike Corrals
    • e-bike charging stations
    • Bike Share parking
    • residential
    • businesses
    • transit stations
    • libraries
    • schools
    • universities
    • parks
    • recreation centers
    • beaches

Vehicle Parking:
    • On Street
      • fees (meters and/or time limits)
      • free
      • permitted

Parking Lots:
    • Public:
      • Fees, meters, free, permitted (residential)
      • Parks
      • Beaches
      • Parking structures (like North Park or Balboa Park or Convention Center)
      • Ball Parks
      • Libraries
      • Transit Stations
      • Hospitals
      • Government Offices (DMV, Post Offices, Libraries, City Halls, etc.)
      • E-Vehicle (including bikes/scooters) charging stations
    • Private:
      • Big Store
      • Housing
      • Business
      • Colleges / Universities
      • Development Requirements (bike parking/charging - vehicle parking/charging)

Thanks @seattledot. These are awesome! Increase visibility at intersections for motorists and people walking. Slows down right turning motorists. Also provides bicycle #parking for both personal and #bikeshare bikes which was needed here. (From a twitter posting)

The logic for the rewards of gained pedestrian safety is similar to that of building bulb-outs at intersections. Line of sight is enhanced for all road users, crossing distance is 'virtually' decreased and a speed diet of sorts is imposed on vehicular traffic.

The image above is a good example of what could be used as a solution to the bike-share storage problem. Maybe a bike corral on every block or as needed in business districts or busy areas. The bike share companies could fund the spaces via fees or taxes, covering what could be expected from parking meters. 1 parking spot = 10-12 bikes! Now that would be efficient use of public space for active transportation parking, while successfully managing neighborhood spaces. The 'cost of parking' would be borne by the bike user as part of the bike usage fee. The bike share company would pay fees to the city to cover the use of the 'public space' as a parking area. All fees and revenues could be balanced to equitably distribute cost/benefits among users, providers and city services.
    =================================================

Maybe when re-imagining intersections with pedestrian bulb-outs, roundabouts and other such facilities, a similar type of bike parking could be incorporated into the design.

NACTO Curb Extensions - Scroll down to see examples of space (yellow areas) that could be efficiently utilized for bike corrals. Incorporate the first 'vehicle' parking space as a bike corral and you've increased parking for potentially another 10-12 customers in a business district. NATCO Bike Parking

Curb Extensions/Bulb-outs (scroll down)

The small area between the parked cars and the bulb-out, otherwise wasted space, could be captured and better utilized as part of a larger bike corral when the first parking space is repossessed, thus efficiently using that precious space to add 5-7 more bikes to a bike corral.

Non-standard return: Sharper curb returns increase pedestrian space and minimize parking loss while better defining a curb extension. However, they are more difficult and costly to maintain. This first space might be where a bike corral could be located with protections from traffic while fostering clear sight lines to all road users. The cost of maintenance would be borne by the bike-share providers.
    Electric vehicle charging stations coming to SDUHSD campuses
    Karen Billing May 16, 2018 delmartimes.net
    The San Dieguito Union High School District (SDUHSD) is adding electric vehicle charging stations to the parking lots at Canyon Crest Academy and La Costa Canyon high schools. At the May 10, 2018 meeting, the board approved spending $25,200 of developer fees for 24 charging stations at CCA and 16 stations at La Costa Canyon High School. Currently, the district has two charging stations at Earl Warren Middle School.

SDUHSD Trustee John Salazar voted against the expenditure. “I’m just confused, how is this a benefit for education?” questioned Salazar.
    SDUHSD Assistant Superintendent Tina Douglas said they have actually had a lot of requests for the charging stations at district school sites and it is a growing need. SDUHSD President Beth Hergesheimer said the purpose is to provide a service for students and staff that come to the school sites.

“We provide parking lots for students and faculty but we don’t provide gasoline for them,” Salazar said, not convinced of the need. “It’s still $25,000 that were not spending on something else.”

I'm curious about where e-bikes fit into this scheme. Does the charging station accommodate e-bike charging? Are dock-less bike share e-bikes allowed to use the charging stations? Is there safe and secure bike parking provided for all bikes and could a charging station be added to that local to accommodate the e-bikes?

Bike parking is so much more efficient than vehicle parking. Much more bang for the buck and helps to encourage bike use if users know their bikes are safe and can be charged. Also e-bikes are so much more efficient than e-vehicles, taking less power to move much less mass. Very little power is siphoned off the grid to charge an e-bike. Another reason why e-bikes should be in the mix when it comes to government rebates, rewards for reducing GHG's, preferred parking and such. I've seen e-vehicle charging stations at the newer San Diego Community College campuses with newer parking structures. There will soon be a lot (no pun intended) of competition for these parking/charging spots with the growth of electric vehicles.

“We provide parking lots for students and faculty but we don’t provide gasoline for them,” Salazar said, not convinced of the need. “It’s still $25,000 that were not spending on something else.”
    Money saved on school bussing when students transport themselves, seems like an equitable trade-off. A small investment in a long term capital improvement can easily be justified by the moneys saved on the continuing costs of school bussing in the long term. If you must, why not recover the investment with some sort of user fees. Let SDGE collect for the power used and let the school district recover expenditure costs with fees to users. Hell, why not even make a small profit to help fund parking facilities? It could be amortized over time and depreciated as any other capital expense using GAAP rules. Make it self sustaining both economically as well as environmentally. Easy-peasy! (I think…)
    • CommentAuthorgottobike
    • CommentTimeMay 16th 2018 edited

Old Knotty Buoy:Electric vehicle charging stations coming to SDUHSD campuses
    Karen Billing May 16, 2018 delmartimes.net

Hmmm... I see electric vehicle charging stations popping up at various locations around town. I assumed that this was because we did not have existing infrastructure for electric vehicle charging and the inherently short range / long charging times of these vehicles. There are charging stations at my work for employee's electric cars that require a charge-card (pun intended) to access. There are also electric vehicle charging stations at several businesses and transit stations. Maybe all these organizations are in error as they do not also provide gasoline for my petrol-hog?

And you bring up an interesting solution for electric bike charging, OKB. Seems if we can provide charging facilities for automobiles we can certainly provide charging facilities for electric bicycles.
    • CommentAuthort.e.d
    • CommentTimeMay 17th 2018

I'm not really familiar with E bikes, but don't they just use a standard outlet, whereas plug-in cars use a high voltage plug for faster charging?

Seems like a power strip next to a bike rack would do the same as several parking spots with car-charging setups?
    •  
      CommentAuthorbatmick
    • CommentTimeMay 17th 2018

We own two electric cars. Even though we mainly charge at home we welcome the opportunity to charge while running a longer errand.

The plugs for electric cars are standardized, just three different models with one being dominant. Those "plugs" are much bigger than anything on an e-bike and also push much more power than needed. However, it would be possible to add some outlets for e-bikes to the same station as long as you bring your own charger. Until all the different e-bikes come with a standard charging plug there is no way to make them hardwired as part of vehicle charging stations.
    The other problem is that I would not leave my own charger unattended while my bike charges. Those things are expensive and people here destroy or steal anything that isn't welded down.
    Electric Vehicle Charging Guide

Certainly a simple 120V circuit can be added almost anywhere in an electrical scheme. It can be remote from the E-Vehicle parking/charging stations. Set bike storage lockers in an observable space for security, add power outlets to lockers and the bikes can be charged while locked and monitored. No bike theft, no charger theft and piece of mind. It's not too hard to argue the economical benefits over time, not to mention achieving mandated climate goals. The costs could be written off against the required mandated expenditure towards meeting such goals. After time, the revenue is gravy.
    New 3-Story Parking Deck at Airport’s Terminal 2 Set to Open Friday Morning
    Chris Jennewein May 17, 2018 timesofsandiego.com
    The new parking plaza has 2,900 parking stalls — more than half of them covered — and technology that helps drivers find available parking spaces or reserve them in advance. For electric-vehicle drivers, there are 16 charging ports.

The $128 million facility features standard daily parking rate of $32 per day.
    I wonder if bike parking was included in the $128 million structure. Secure lockers for extended storage, video surveillance and security sweeps by active patrols, maybe even an air station/repair station for pumping up tires, tightening bolts etc. Could recharging facilities have been included in the lockers for e-bikes with a simple 120V outlet?
    • How about bike lanes and safe biking facilities accessing the parking structure through the airport property from city streets or harbor drive bike path?
    • $32/day is the baseline for figuring costs for a bike corral or a group of 6-8 stacked bike lockers, taking up the same amount of space.
    • With only 16 charging stations provided for e-vehicles out of 2,900 parking stalls, I think I already know the answer to most of the questions.
    • How does bike share work out for airport users? Are there specific drop-off/pick-up areas for dock-less bike share in this new parking plaza or anywhere else? Are they even allowed on the airport property? Just asking.

Terminal 2 Parking Plaza - Opening in May 2018
    SD Airport Biking & Walking
    • Once at the airport, cyclists should exercise caution traveling along the airport roadways in front of the terminals.
    • Existing bike lockers and racks are described but seem minimal at best.
    • Nothing in regards to e-bike charging.

I agree that the art included in this project may go some ways toward making the structure more aesthetically pleasing, but I find the lack of function in regards to bicycle parking very disappointing. It's hard to see a $128M structure, that doesn't serve it's primary function, made more attractive just because you "tarted it up". 'Lipstick on a pig' I says. Moneys would have been better spent on bike lockers/charging and more EV charging stations. This was supposed to be 'forward thinking design' but ends up as just more of the same old.
    Homeless Seniors to Get Affordable Housing Complex in San Ysidro
    Ken Stone July 17, 2018 timesofsandiego.com
    The San Diego City Council approved a $5.5 million loan Tuesday for construction of an affordable-housing complex for homeless seniors in San Ysidro. Fifty studio units will provide permanent supportive housing to individuals who earn 30 percent to 50 percent of the area median income. The complex will have a community room, supportive service counseling offices, laundry facilities, storage lockers and bike storage.

“This is how we solve the homelessness problem,” said City Councilman David Alvarez. “These are going to be units for people who are in shelters, who need support systems in order to be successful to get out of homelessness.”
    Providing bike storage is a clever, utilitarian and part of an effective scheme to help people to be independent and transition out of homelessness and into basic shelter and jobs. Having your gear and bikes securely and safely stored allows for dependable, self-sufficient transportation, utilizing bike/transit combinations to get to jobs, medical, educational, support services and recreational opportunities. A new life with the benefits of bikes and mobility!

I think electrical service for charging personal e-bikes, e-scooters, mobility-scooter chairs etc. should be included in the bike/storage facilities. Each housing unit should have it's own associated, secure storage space, allowing for such bulky items to be stored at ground level. (Think bike-trikes for seniors or bike trailers for hauling groceries.) That way you don't need to haul your personal bike up 2 or 3 flights. That will encourage greater adoption and use of bikes as a transportation option.

Credits could be given to the build for GHG reductions, adaptation to EV utilization and contributions to meeting CAP goals.

A similar strategy could be employed when considering new, high density housing. Require provisions for ground level storage and charging capabilities of e-bikes and electric vehicles. Make the developers account for the parking/storage/charging of all personal vehicles (residents and visitors alike) and free up the roadways of tax payer supported public parking. This will help to provide the needed public real-estate for robust separated bike lanes and pedestrian sidewalks, while helping to mitigate the induced increase in traffic, noise, congestion and associated urban headaches that comes with the densification of neighborhoods.

Parking your bike at home.