Not signed in (Sign In)
    • CommentAuthor3trees
    • CommentTimeJun 22nd 2018 edited

My goal is to commute 3-4 times a week by bike I've been working in Houston which isn't very bike friendly as far as commuting goes, but previously lived and commuted in Austin. I plan to working at either Paradise Valley Hospital or Sharps Chula Vista. Still looking for an apt. but will likely get a place in Little Italy. Using this site:
    [[_linker_]]
    it looks like the best route is going from Harbor Drive around Petco Park to national drive to Euclid? How are the roads(potholes/road debris)? Elevation seems pretty flat. I'll be leaving around 6am and heading home around 6pm (I have head/tail lights)? Any areas of concerns as far as shady neighborhoods? I've also considered a half commute? Parking halfway and biking the rest?
    [[_linker_]]
    are these locations pretty safe as far as your car/wheels being back when you return :) I appreciate any advice/tips you folks can provide. For what it's worth, I'll be riding a Brompton S6x-L
    • CommentAuthorPetteri
    • CommentTimeJun 22nd 2018

I'd also consider taking the trolley part way - especially with a folding bike. The two hospitals are quite far from each other so the exact options will depend on which one you're talking about. Google Maps can be quite useful for routes and Street View can show what the road and bike lane situation is like. Most of Euclid isn't a ton of fun so I'd avoid that; at least to National City I'd just go down Harbor and take 8th to 4th like Google suggests. Plenty of opportunities for tacos on the way back around Barrio Logan too...
    I agree with Petteri, go multi-modal with your folder on days you don't feel like riding all the way or because of time constraints. (With all the stops downtown, it might be faster to ride Harbor Drive!) City of San Diego ends at Division Street where National City begins. There might be some confusion with the numbered streets around this area (i.e. 40th ST in SD; 2nd St in National City.) National City's southern border is City of Chula Vista at the Sweetwater River (Hwy 54). Numbered Streets change again.

You can ride a relatively flat Harbor Drive (becoming Bayshore Bikeway) south, turn east for slight uphills to either destination hospital. Harbor Drive has newish bikeways with more coming. It's a good solution for north/south bike commuters. The SD MTS Trolley parallels Harbor Drive so the same slight uphill from stations will be encountered. Going north in the evenings might present you with a headwind, stronger in spring and summer.

Pick up the MTS Blue Line Trolley at America Plaza Station and ride to either 8th Street Station for Paradise Valley Hospital or H Street for Sharp Rees-Stealy Chula Vista. Both Hospitals are a short, slightly uphill bike ride from the associated trolley stops. Easy peasy!

It might be that the employers offer discounted transit passes and/or showers, lockers and storage facilities for active commuters. Sharp has a very good reputation for cardiac care and I'm guessing it would promote, encourage and provide facilities for active commuters and aerobic exercise for it's staff. Riding from Paradise Valley Hospital to Sharp in Chula Vista might be easy via Highland Ave in National City becoming 4th Ave in Chula Vista.

I wouldn't bother with driving half way and biking the rest. It just doesn't seem worth the effort and doesn't do anything to reduce traffic, pollution, noise and of course the parking hassles/security. Put the effort into multi-modal or bike commute. If you must drive on certain days, just go the whole way. All or nothing!

Little Italy is a cool neighborhood, close to trolley stations and Pacific Hwy or Harbor Dr. If you locate elsewhere, MTS buses with racks handle bikes and folders are allowed on board. Multi-modal options via bus/trolley are easy to work out. Bike share might be a clever resource as well for the first mile/last mile to trolley or bus stops. Good luck.

Transit Links

• CommentAuthor3trees
    • CommentTimeJun 22nd 2018

Thanks both for your suggestions.

The Brompton's a folder so I've had no issues taking it w/ me on metros or buses when I visited San Francisco.

Using a Trolley or bus seems like a great idea!
    Paradise Valley Hospital from corner of 4th Ave and Euclid Ave. looking southwest.
    8th Street and Euclid Ave do not seem to have bike lanes the way 4th Street does.
    4th Street seems to be the best bet coming up from Harbor Drive or the trolley station.

National City has done well with their updates to bike infrastructure. I haven't ridden 4th Street but from Google Street View it looks okay. Well marked bike lanes separated from right turn lanes and bike boxes to boot. Very nice.

4th Street and Highland Avenue (looking west)

From Trolley Station, go east on 8th Street under HWY-5 to Roosevelt Ave and turn north (left). Use bike lanes going north to 4th Avenue and turn east (right) again. Solid bike lanes all the way up 4th Street to the Paradise Valley Hospital.
    Green bike lanes through conflict zone at 8th Street and HWY-5 off ramps.

No bike lanes on H Street in Chula Vista but wide road with two lanes and no parking along street so vehicles can pass easily.